• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

radaxian

ADyuuXe.jpg

Picked up quite a few games all for $11!

Nice work! I played through that Sherlock game and enjoyed it quite a bit. Got a bunch of the cases wrong too it turns out.

N0VAM0D

Congratulations, rep! Glad to hear it was an easy delivery!

Tim & Eric. They're a comedy duo, have done some shows for Adult Swim, a movie, and have released a book.

Oh, nice! I was actually gonna go, but I have my graduation exhibition on that night, blegh. I'm going to be seeing Neon Indian in Sydney next week but, that should be incredible!

Ah crap, dropped in on my local JB and they had a fair amount of PS3 games in-stock, thought that the $1 games thing when it was cancelled online last night wouldn't be on in-store either. Should have picked up a couple games and asked about it :L Ah well, might do tomorrow.

Also, I bought my 3-Day PAX pass on day one for the last few year, and ended up selling it both last year AND this year because of HSC and brother's wedding respectively. Not going to tempt fate by buying another one so soon this year! :L

dity

Went to the pool today and got pooped on by a seagull before getting in the water. Apparently it's good luck lmao.

Oh, nice! I was actually gonna go, but I have my graduation exhibition on that night, blegh. I'm going to be seeing Neon Indian in Sydney next week but, that should be incredible!

That's too bad. I went and saw them last time they were in Sydney, but it was at the Factory Theatre then. Standing still for two hours on hard flooring? Never again. So glad they're at the Enmore with seating this time.

I'm gonna google Neon Indian. Haven't heard of them. Comedy too, I take it?

ADyuuXe.jpg

Picked up quite a few games all for $11!

I've only played Borderlands out of that lot- I bought it at launch, played 10 hours and wasn't keen on it so I sold it. Then for whatever reason I was interested in Borderlands 2 so I picked up cheap 260 copy and finished the first game and loved it.

I also grabbed DMC on steam for $8 last week. What is ausgaf's opinion of that title?

In fact, we should just critique all of the games in the photo that we have played.

also
did I just see a Qld Govt for Halfbrick?
Something to do with innovation
making games without designers, maybe

or should we start calling them Halfbroke?

Ho ho ho. Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm killing it tonight.

Golnei

DmC isn't a complete travesty - despite the many mistakes it makes, it's still fundamentally a competent action game, even if it can't measure up to the rest of the series. The Definitive Edition made a lot of changes, it's a shame it never got a PC port. But overall, even with its glaring flaws, I'd still rank the original version of DmC as the 7th-strongest release in the series.

Is there any downside to getting the link and controller from amazon rather than waiting for the official Aussie release?
The Steam Link comes with one power brick, with four different plugs that connect to it. An Australian one is in the box.

Returns and such may be more difficult through Amazon, but otherwise I see no reason not to buy, if you're interested. I'll try to post some initial impressions tomorrow if anyone's interested.

dity

Here's a question about the Steam Controller: when you hook it up, does Steam recognise you have it. Like, as if it's a library item or something that gets updates through it?

I just wonder because it has an entry on the Steam Store and can be added to your wishlist.

The Steam Link comes with one power brick, with four different plugs that connect to it. An Australian one is in the box.

Returns and such may be more difficult through Amazon, but otherwise I see no reason not to buy, if you're interested. I'll try to post some initial impressions tomorrow if anyone's interested.

Are you hooking it up via wired or wifi?

Gazunta

Popped into the JB in Albert St Brisbane tonight, and they had a section for the cheap $1 / $5 / $10 games - all preowned.

I got Fantasia, Resident Evil 6 Gold Edition, Gears of War Judgement, F1 Superstars, Sherlock Holmes....uh....two other games...I can;t even be bothered to go out to the car to find out what they were. I'll never play them. Ever. Videogames!!

Popped into the JB in Albert St Brisbane tonight, and they had a section for the cheap $1 / $5 / $10 games - all preowned.

I got Fantasia, Resident Evil 6 Gold Edition, Gears of War Judgement, F1 Superstars, Sherlock Holmes....uh....two other games...I can;t even be bothered to go out to the car to find out what they were. I'll never play them. Ever. Videogames!!

you have it bad, son. I do the same with comics. I buy thousands of dollars worth every month and never read them because I don't like comics.

Anyone else with iiNet and got an email this evening saying that your quota has been upgraded for free? My 300gb plan is bumped up to 1tb, and I think it might be permanently?.. Well, it says 'you'll get your new quota every month from now on.' Hope that doesn't imply it might be UNDER 300gb occasionally, lol

Jintor

DmC isn't a complete travesty - despite the many mistakes it makes, it's still fundamentally a competent action game, even if it can't measure up to the rest of the series. The Definitive Edition made a lot of changes, it's a shame it never got a PC port. But overall, even with its glaring flaws, I'd still rank the original version of DmC as the 7th-strongest release in the series.

colour coded enemies is an action game sin, but i agree, it's not terrrrrrrrrible

choodi

Banned

I did the same today in the Adelaide Street JB. I'll never play them, but damn it felt good buying 7 games for $7.

Shaneus

In other news, that Bill Murray Christmas thing on Netflix is a terrible waste.
Not surprised. I did watch the first few minutes of it, gave up. He and Sofia Coppola was likely lightning in a jar.

I'm still waiting on my code from Humble. Raised a support case with them almost two weeks ago saying I couldn't redeem my codes from a Capcom pack a while back (said they were already claimed)

Okay yeah, I bought an X1 finally. Now to track down Sunset Overdrive (low of $20), Forza Horizon 2 (low of $20) and Tomb Raider 2 (low of $50).

good one, son. SO was way better than the latest infamous. Once you get past the presentation, it succeeds in being funny and goofy rather than edgy. I don't like driving games all that much but FH2 was a lotta fun.

Gazunta

you have it bad, son. I do the same with comics. I buy thousands of dollars worth every month and never read them because I don't like comics.

Good because comics are garbage.

I did the same today in the Adelaide Street JB. I'll never play them, but damn it felt good buying 7 games for $7.

I'll be going there today (just got there too late last night) - anything good on offer?

Darren870

I literally bought 20 games and as I was unwrapping them to check if they will work in my NTSC 360 I was saying to myself.

"Ill never play this one, or this one, might try this one (probably not), oh this doesnt work, nor does this, hmmm well maybe I'll start one tonight"

Already put them all away... Didn't even touch them. In fact I was talking to my child hood friends about all the games we used to play growing up so decided to fire up Zombies Ate My Neighbors and play that instead last night.

radaxian

I literally bought 20 games and as I was unwrapping them to check if they will work in my NTSC 360 I was saying to myself.

"Ill never play this one, or this one, might try this one (probably not), oh this doesnt work, nor does this, hmmm well maybe I'll start one tonight"

Already put them all away... Didn't even touch them. In fact I was talking to my child hood friends about all the games we used to play growing up so decided to fire up Zombies Ate My Neighbors and play that instead last night.

Go trade them at EB before prices fall further - I traded 5 $1 PS3 games and got $60 - bought Mario & Luigi Paper Jam Bros for 3DS!

Tim & Eric. They're a comedy duo, have done some shows for Adult Swim, a movie, and have released a book.

I like them!

ooh jelly

Go trade them at EB before prices fall further - I traded 5 $1 PS3 games and got $60 - bought Mario & Luigi Paper Jam Bros for 3DS!

hot diggity dog, nice work

Darren870

Only problem is that I only have NTSC stuff, so I run the risk of it not working when I take it home. There is a wiki that is pretty good for compatibility, but isn't that up to date. Might check and see if there is anything interesting out though.

Alrighty, some brief Steam Link and Steam Controller impressions. For record, I've been using In-Home Streaming for over a year on an old HTPC (Intel E3200, 4GB RAM, iGPU, wired 100Mb network).

Steam Link
+ Feels solid, pretty small
+ Setup is easy
+ Seems to run really well over 5G wireless*
+ Interface is fast
+ Can power on with controller (at least with Steam Controller)
+ Appears to automatically shut off remote PC when done (need to confirm, I hope there's more settings on this)
- I don't think it wakes the remote computer
- I don't think you can turn it on with a 360 controller
- I guess that's it. I'm impressed with it

Steam Link is fantastic. If you want comfy couch, it's a great unit.

Steam Controller
+ Weight is good (once you add batteries, if feels too light beforehand)
+ It plays a cute sound when you turn it on and off
+ The haptics are really nice, quite convincing effects such as a track ball "spinning" effect
+ Ergonomics seem quite good
- Not a fan of the glossy plastic
- The face buttons are tiny, and seem way too far in, I keep hitting the wrong ones (e.g. B instead of A)
- The force to click the trackpads seems a bit high - perhaps will wear in after a while
- It initially feels small, but the joystick and face buttons seem too far in, and so the end result is that it feels too big for my (not that large) hands
- Firmware updates for a controller

I tried The Witcher 3 first up (non-Steam game for me) and had a ton of trouble finding a suitable configuration. The camera was either way too sensitive or not sensitive enough, and things seemed to go all over the place, and I felt I had no decent control over anything. None of the preset options felt and good and there were no community ones because it's not in Steam. There might be a way to find them but I didn't spend much time looking.

Next up I tried Fallout 4, and the default configuration felt a lot better. I was able to hold myself well enough in a firefight, even though the camera trackpad varied between wildly sensitive and not sensitive enough. The d-pad felt pretty rubbish for selecting things, but I think I'd prefer to enable touch mode for it rather than pressing down on the track pad itself.

Ultimately I think most of these issues are unfamiliarity with the controller so I don't think I can form an opinion about it yet (although the initial impression is that it's a bit frustrating to use, I will stick with it for a while). I'm not really sure of the best way to position my thumbs on the track pad and joystick, so at the moment it doesn't feel that comfortable and is a bit fatiguing.

* I've recently moved, and haven't setup my wireless on the best channel, and it seems there's a lot of wireless interference in my area so hopefully performance will be even better once I sort that out.

Only problem is that I only have NTSC stuff, so I run the risk of it not working when I take it home. There is a wiki that is pretty good for compatibility, but isn't that up to date. Might check and see if there is anything interesting out though.

Play asia's website is pretty good for finding out how region free something is.

I haven't touched 360 games in a few years but the rule of thumb was generally
EA and Konami and most Japanese pubs generally weren't region free. Microsoft, Activision, THQ, 2k Games, Ubisoft generally were (though there were a few exceptions along the way).

Darren870

Play asia's website is pretty good for finding out how region free something is.

I haven't touched 360 games in a few years but the rule of thumb was generally
EA and Konami and most Japanese pubs generally weren't region free. Microsoft, Activision, THQ, 2k Games, Ubisoft generally were (though there were a few exceptions along the way).

Yea, I use that one too. I just bought everything that was $1 figured most would work. However, it makes trying to get a game on whim a bit harder. Heck, I actually don't even know if Wolfenstein works and I just bought that the other day. Should probably check.

Of the 20 games I bought, only 3 didn't work. Namco and Tecmo games, so Japanese publishers.

Gazunta

YESSSSSS soon all game reviewers will be replaced with game review system.

As tempting as that EB trade in thought is, I'm also more tempted by my pledge that I would never step foot in an EB store for as long as I live

Shaneus

Oh, here's another thing AusGAF: Humble Neo-Geo Bundle. For $10US you get over 20 Neo-Geo games plus whatever bonus ones they announce along the way. No idea what happens when the "beat the average" price hits the "pay more than $X" price, but... yeah. Bargain!

Fredescu

Today I learnt about the "American Style" of fork usage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_utensil_etiquette#American_style

In the American style, also called the zig-zag method or fork switching, the knife is initially held in the right hand and the fork in the left. Holding food to the plate with the fork tines-down, a single bite-sized piece is cut with the knife. The knife is then set down on the plate, the fork transferred from the left hand to the right hand, and the food is brought to the mouth for consumption. The fork is then transferred back to the left hand and the knife is picked up with the right.[1][6] In contrast to the European hidden handle grip, in the American style the fork is held much like a spoon or pen once it is transferred to the right hand to convey food to the mouth. Though called "American style", this style originated in Europe

Does anyone do this? Has anyone observed anyone doing this?

Bernbaum if you're reading, now that you're a seppo, do you do this ?

bomma_man

yo Fredescu i'd like you to know that i'm seeing Thurston Moore tomorrow night.

unfortunately he doesn't play any Sonic Youth stuff.

Today I learnt about the "American Style" of fork usage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_utensil_etiquette#American_style

Bernbaum if you're reading, now that you're a seppo, do you do this ?

my girlfriend does the fork as a spoon thing. she literally drops something on herself every meal. drives me fucking bananas.

Fredescu

Nice, I saw he was in town. I guess he's playing solo stuff? I haven't checked out The Best Day, but I liked Trees Outside the Academy and Demolished Thoughts. Possibly because I'm a tragic rather than them being any good.

I read Kim Gordon's book recently which gave me an interesting picture of him. They tried a few times to reconcile after he cheated but he couldn't stay away from the new girl.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the show.

I do, sometimes. But mostly when tired or feeling lazy. I switch between using the fork tines down or tines up as a spoon depending on my mood as well as the meal and company. Also SE Asian style if the meal calls for it.

Interesting that the "American" style is mainly because they've been too lazy to change what they brought over from Europe, as with Imperial measurements...

choodi

Banned
I'll be going there today (just got there too late last night) - anything good on offer?

There were a few decent games for $5 or $10, but the $1 selection was pretty average to be honest.

I got:
Max Payne 3
Ghost Recon Future Soldier/Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 multi pack
Farming Simulator
Way of the Samurai 4
Port Royale 3
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time

I doubt there is much left. A few others were sniffing around while I was there. They might have put more stock in the shelves after I left though.

Gazunta

I'm still legit mad at Thurston Moore. ><

I still have a soft spot for Metal Slug. It was the first game I got paid to do a review of, and getting $70 to write 300 words about a game I spent $10 in the arcades was like magic. Thank fuck the games industry saved me from a life otherwise spent being a house painter or some shit like everyone else who grew up in this town.

bomma_man

Nice, I saw he was in town. I guess he's playing solo stuff? I haven't checked out The Best Day, but I liked Trees Outside the Academy and Demolished Thoughts. Possibly because I'm a tragic rather than them being any good.

I read Kim Gordon's book recently which gave me an interesting picture of him. They tried a few times to reconcile after he cheated but he couldn't stay away from the new girl.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the show.

the best day is good, more like a normal Sonic Youth album than his acoustic solo stuff. like there's a few 6 minutes plus rock/noise outs. I'm expecting his band to be pretty tight, it features My Bloody Valentine's bassist and Steve Shelley on drums.

he's playing at Meredith, and going by the War on Drugs' performance last year I'm not expecting it to sound great, but I'm sure he'll put on a good show.

Fredescu

Interesting that the "American" style is mainly because they've been too lazy to change what they brought over from Europe, as with Imperial measurements...

It seems to be not so much laziness as perhaps having more rigid enforcement of traditions. From here: http://www.cookingandtips.com/recipes/etiquette/etiquet_cutlery_history.htm

It wasn&#8217;t until 1533 that Catherine de Médici of Italy brought forks to France when she married Henry II of France. Early forks consisted of two prongs. At first, people laughed at the absurdity of using a fork, but, as it became synonymous with the high court, forks became the rage of the wealthy, who brought their own ornate designs in specially designed carrying cases when invited to dine with friends.

Since it was no longer necessary to spear one&#8217;s food with the point of a knife, artisans began making knives with blunt ends. Food was held by the fork in the left hand while being cut with the right hand. Then, the fork, still secure in the left hand, was raised to the mouth to eat.

But, in colonial America in 1630, Governor Winthrop of the Massachusetts Bay Colony owned the first and only fork. The knives imported from Europe with their new blunt ends were not as easy to eat with as the pointed ones and people began to use a spoon to steady their food to cut it. When forks were first imported, they were called, &#8220;Split Spoons&#8221;. Spoons &#8211; and later forks &#8211; were switched to the right hand after the food was cut in order to scoop it up into one&#8217;s mouth &#8211; This was the beginning of what is known today as the American zig-zag method of switching our fork from our left to our right hand to eat, while the Europeans still keep their forks in the left hand. It would seem as though this double process we go through would have been changed sometime in our history for pure common sense. Instead, we consider it poor etiquette to keep the fork in our left hand to eat

So I guess the beginnings of that more radical kind of conservatism (if that's not a contradiction?) that we often associate with the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom