• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Maggi noodles are crap anyway, I used to like having 2 minute noodles dry, Mamee style, and Maggi noodles always tastes stale that way. Home brand noodles were way better.

How is it even up for debate? the ads always said it with a soft g like Magic, not McGee.

"Maggi, Maggi, Maggi. Flavour, flavour, flavour."

"the Sega game was at Beta and the QA team ate Maggi noodles. When the game shipped, they ate sausages on bread and chicken parmigiana."

For you Ausgaffers who've lived in Japan, particularly if you don't pass for a local, have you been offered a drinking straw when buying a bottle/carton of milk?

so I will be an obedient consumer and do what the brand owner tells me.
Curiously though, what do you do in the case of Nutella, where different regions have used different pronunciations in their commercials? We say Nut-ella, where the American ads have used New-tella.

Fredescu

Curiously though, what do you do in the case of Nutella, where different regions have used different pronunciations in their commercials? We say Nut-ella, where the American ads have used New-tella.

That appears to be the case with Maggi. Where capitalism fails, nativism picks up I guess.

Fredescu

What do you do if you move to a country where the alternate pronunciation is used?

Depends on the context. If I was asking a shop assistant for assistance, I would attempt to use the local pronunciation. If I found myself employed with HolyCheck's company, I would "debate" the correctness of my embedded cultural experience for hours with my co-workers.

Depends on the context. If I was asking a shop assistant for assistance, I would attempt to use the local pronunciation. If I found myself employed with HolyCheck's company, I would "debate" the correctness of my embedded cultural experience for hours with my co-workers.
Would you also seek confirmation bias from the internet so that you could try to win your debate on subsequent days/feel better about your own stance?

Ori & the Blind Forest on X1 is $13.48
Some Forza Horizon 2 DLC is 75% off (here and here)

My friends cancelled and now I don't have any plans for my birthday, instead I'm watching wrestling in my underwear like an adult.
Also bitching about it on AusGaf.

Don't have your kids around Christmas!

Sorry dude, at least wrestling has been great! NXT Takeover was A+ and Lucha starts up again soon!

Just talk about beer :)

Honestly though, a couple of Australian Gaffers who I play with told me they don't post in this thread because it is weird.

I don't post as much in here due to my shift to Twitter. I can say any damn thing I want on there due to the design of the medium which is awesome. If people don't like it they just unfollow, win win for everyone!

Also I've stopped reading a lot of GAF over the last 2 years. Most threads devolve very quickly into uncurbed stupidity so it's hard to invest in a conversation unless you get in early and set the tone.

Pronounced 'Maggie' all over the world. Why must we argue over this? :/

Maggi noodles are crap anyway, I used to like having 2 minute noodles dry, Mamee style, and Maggi noodles always tastes stale that way. Home brand noodles were way better.

The ones we get here are disgusting. Try buying the imported ones from an ethnic shop, they are really good.

What do you do if you move to a country where the alternate pronunciation is used?

I have. no one cared to correct me. I bought a Mazda in America and continued to say it the Australian way- Maazda rather than the US version Mahzda. No one cared. When I move to the UK, I'll still order Pahsta rather than the Uk-preffered Paasta (basically the opposite of AU-US mazda) and Super Mahrio rather that weird UK way of saying mario.

If I come back to visit and sound like a Brit, shoot me. no offense to Brits, but shoot me.

Some people say Lay-go, some say Leg-O. Some people have traumatic head injuries, others don't.

I don't see why I should pronounce a product or company name differently from how I've been taught by that company for decades just because American's have a different pronunciation.

actually, Death Jr is perfectly right.
we are a big bag of dicks.

Deeku

Cool thing about living in Asia is that everyone is from everywhere so people say whatever. Tho my world was rocked when a Canadian told me about a place in Canada called Regina (pronounced like vagina). Crazy!

legend166

Just got back from Star Wars. Thought it was an absolute blast.

Go into the spoiler thread on GAF to see the reactions of people (FORCE AWAKENS SPOILER):

Some dude complaining about a plot hole, asking where the First Order would have got the money to build the Star Killer.

Nerds, man.

Cool thing about living in Asia is that everyone is from everywhere so people say whatever. Tho my world was rocked when a Canadian told me about a place in Canada called Regina (pronounced like vagina). Crazy!

it's latin for queen. also a not so common girl's name. i went to school with a girl called Regina- though she pronounced it Rej EEna.

It's pretty much standard. Even school lunches come with milk with a drinking straw

friend of mine who lived there a bit hated being singled out (six foot and red haired)- apparently when he bought large milk cartons from the supermarket or corner shop, he'd be offered a straw when any Japanese person, including his wife, wouldn't be. He reckoned because people always saw American TV and movies where people were drinking straight from the bottle.

Chances are the dude was just being paranoid after constantly being asked by women how tall he was.
He probably didn't realise they weren't necessarily interested in his height
. Bam!

I wouldn't care, I'm happy to disappoint people.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
For you Ausgaffers who've lived in Japan, particularly if you don't pass for a local, have you been offered a drinking straw when buying a bottle/carton of milk?

In Taiwan the straws are just beside the cash register. The staff occasionally point them out to you but they just expect you to know they're there.

friend of mine who lived there a bit hated being singled out (six foot and red haired)- apparently when he bought large milk cartons from the supermarket or corner shop, he'd be offered a straw when any Japanese person, including his wife, wouldn't be. He reckoned because people always saw American TV and movies where people were drinking straight from the bottle.

You just reminded me of the funny looks I got when I bought milk in Korea. I was working out heavily at the time and I drank about 3-4 litres of milk a day. One day a week the Homeplus would sell milk at a discount price so I'd buy like 12-24 litres at a time. I imagine that the checkout people at the Homeplus still bring me up in conversations about "crazy white people".

I just felt awkward and huge during my visit to Japan, like all eyes were on me, especially whenever I visited onsens. You white guys thinking you stand out ain't got nothing on my naked brown butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom