• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

I always hate doing movie lists, because I spend 10 minutes thinking about it and then the moment other people post their lists I remember 20 movies I love.

MTE

RoboCop
The Dark Knight
Moon
Predator
The Naked Gun
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Edge of Tomorrow
Pulp Fiction

r1chard

Blade Runner
Star Wars: A New Hope
Twelve Monkeys
Spirited Away
Baraka
Aliens
Terminator
Moon
Akira
The Fifth Element

(it was a tough call there ... I could swap out Blues Brothers for Baraka though)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Interestingly, Jurassic Park was used at university into a short case study on building suspense. Most of the other examples were all very old French films.

The Trex / puddle scene.

Air 2 doesn't have a 32GB option that the air 1 does.
Air 2 has double the ram and a newer chip compared to Air 1
Air 2 is 20 grams lighter, better camera.
Air 2 has touch ID.

I'm looking at getting either and Air 1 or a Mini 2/4 for my mum.

I got my GF an Air for Christmas. She needs it for work crap. I was resistant because Apple are dicks, but it is pretty sexy.

I got one second hand from someone at work. 128gb with cellular for $400. I'm pretty sure that's a great deal?

Lists!

12 Angry Men
Serpico
The Untouchables
LA Confidential
Shawshank
Batman Begins
Mississippi Burning
GATTACA
In the Name of the Father
The Thing

Was all set to post a list, then saw others' lists.

Eh, here's a list anyway.

Serpico
The Matrix
The Shining
Taxi Driver
Scarface
Se7en
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Godfather
Back to the Future
Reservoir Dogs

Dead Man

Since we're talking movies, it appears JJ Abrams films are just not for me. Didn't enjoy Avengers or Ultron, just back from SW and... meh. Just never really clicked for me. Oh well, at least it was miles better than the prequels.

And any list of ten essential movies is doomed to failure. There is no way to make a list with only 10 films that covers every essential film.

Now that you know what he considers to be the height of entertainment, are you sure you want that?
You used to be cool, Fred

Entertainment?

Two Ausgaffers walk into a bar. "Ouch, my knee! That smarts," says one. "I guess I should watch where I'm going," says the other.

How many Ausgaffers does it take to change a light bulb? Three. One to organise the bulb purchase, one to commit to changing the bulb but pike at the last minute and one to ban the other two.

What do Ausgaffers do for kicks? Two years of tap, three of jazz ballet.

Why did the Ausgaffer crossing the road get hit by a car? To get to The Other Side.

And any list of ten essential movies is doomed to failure. There is no way to make a list with only 10 films that covers every essential film.
Never asked for a definitive list, just for everyone who cared enough to post ten minutes they felt everyone should watch! Not a definitive list of anything, those never cover everything, and for me at least change all the time anyway.

r1chard

Since we're talking movies, it appears JJ Abrams films are just not for me. Didn't enjoy Avengers or Ultron, just back from SW and... meh. Just never really clicked for me. Oh well, at least it was miles better than the prequels.

Abrams had nothing to do with Avengers or Ultron. I think you're just disillusioned with modern Hollywood :)

ALSO: yeah my list wasn't "definitive", it was the product of all of five mjnutes' thought :)

hamchan

National Treasure
Gone in 60 Seconds
Ghost Rider
The Wicker Man
Snake Eyes
Con Air
The Sorceror's Apprentice
Knowing
Windtalkers
The Family Man

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Before Midnight
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Love Exposure
Singin' In The Rain
Gimme the Loot
Snowpiercer
3 Idiots
My Sassy Girl

Full Metal Jacket
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Where the Wildthings Are
Being John Malkovich
Adaptation

Fitting that 4 of the above are in my top 5 films of all time.
Guess which.

my man
Kubrick is boss

Watch this clip. Jackie Brown is UHT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwwcU2c3u4

Jackie Brown is the best Tarantino film. That is because it's the least Tarantino Tarantino film.

If your list doesn't have Out of Sight, I'm putting you on 'ignore.'

Haven't seen it but Soderbergh is boss must check it out

10 from my BD Collection

Aliens
Casablanca
Donnie Darko
Falling Down
Hot Fuzz
Judgement Nuremburg
Leon
The Lives of Others
The Shawshank Redemption
The Thing

Dead Man

Never asked for a definitive list, just for everyone who cared enough to post ten minutes they felt everyone should watch! Not a definitive list of anything, those never cover everything, and for me at least change all the time anyway.
I wasn't actually trying to be mean about your idea, just distracting from my not being able to make a list of only 10. :)

Abrams had nothing to do with Avengers or Ultron. I think you're just disillusioned with modern Hollywood :)

ALSO: yeah my list wasn't "definitive", it was the product of all of five mjnutes' thought :)
Did he not? Quite possibly your hypothesis is correct then.

jambo

What if I told you that Alien was in fact a better movie than Aliens?

I wasn't actually trying to be mean about your idea, just distracting from my not being able to make a list of only 10. :)

Did he not? Quite possibly your hypothesis is correct then.

Avengers was Joss Whedon, not JJ Abrams.

Children of Men
Sin City
Shoot 'Em Up
The International
The Knick
Halo 2
Coca-Cola
iPhone 6s
Skeletons
Wikipedia

Shoot 'Em Up is so. Fucking. Good!

UUzb5Z5l.jpg

Dead Man

What if I told you that Alien was in fact a better movie than Aliens?

Avengers was Joss Whedon, not JJ Abrams.

Shoot 'Em Up is so. Fucking. Good!

UUzb5Z5l.jpg

Good lord, how did I mix them up. Fucking hell, a bit embarrassing. Over Hollywood it is, then. :)

And yes, Shoot Em Up is quite good. And yes, Alien is a better films than Aliens. T1 is also better than T2.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Oh God someone honked and waved to me at the tram stop at 6:50am.

It's close enough to work that it could be someone. But also probably wrong direction

Or they were honking and waving at my chelsea shirt

I don't understand pre 7am people

They're always so friendly.

I rememeber catching a bus once at :15 on a week day, people out jogging, all smiling, saying hello when ever they jogged past

And yes, Shoot Em Up is quite good. And yes, Alien is a better films than Aliens. T1 is also better than T2.

Correct. Incredibly hard for me to say that about T2 though. It screams GOAT to me but T1 is just so well crafted. Especially in terms of leveraging their budget and material to create something perfect. God damn. That movie is such a masterclass. I won't ever talk shit about Cameron as a director because of that movie.

senahorse

Terminator is the best movie of the series, just like Alien is, it's not even a debate :)

I can get behind The Thing being the best sci-fi horror, it's a masterpiece.

edit: Tidbit, Alien was the first movie I saw on VHS. My parents had just bought a VHS machine and with it came 100 free rentals from the local video shop Video Vibes. My father asked the girl what's a good movie for a family (specifically for kids as well), she replied with Alien being a popular title. Surprisingly my parents let me watch this through with them, unsurprisingly I had nightmares for a long time.

Fredescu

You used to be cool, Fred
I'm mostly covering for my own terrible and poorly informed taste in movies. I'm not sure if I could stomach movies that I've previously described as favourites, but it's mostly soppy stuff like Chocolat, October Sky, Amelie, Shawshank Redemption, Eternal Sunshine of the etc. I also once loved Vanilla Sky and Minority Report. Anything obvious that beats you over the head with positive emotions, and I'm there.

senahorse

I also like a bunch of those movies, in fact any movie that invokes a moderate amount of motion, be it fear, sadness, happiness etc, it's all about escapism :)

Mr. Tone

I like lots of movies, here's some that I didn't see mentioned, in no particular order.

The Big Lebowski
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Planet of the Apes ('68)
The Fly ('84)
Goodfellas
Conan the Barbarian ('82)
Dredd
Jaws
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Speed Racer

I like lots of movies.

Status