• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rewatched the original a few weeks ago and.. well, while it has some iconic scenes, the humour and script don't really hold up that well. Also, everything about the Genghis Khan kidnapping scene was super racist.

I remember that scene having lazy racial stereotyping but can't recall the exact dialogue, what did they say that was super racist?

I contend the script is still great! It's such a positive movie, protags are forces of positivity and the movie always cheered me up when I was down. Second one is the best though IMO.

I got a rare stomach bug last week and have been off work shitting my guts out every few minutes. Did a feces sample, results back today. Apparently it's some pretty uncommon thing that the Health Department needs to know about it :/

Least it's not giardia

I got a rare stomach bug last week and have been off work shitting my guts out every few minutes. Did a feces sample, results back today. Apparently it's some pretty uncommon thing that the Health Department needs to know about it :/

Least it's not giardia

Maybe 7/8 years ago I had a Mountain Bike Accident, nothing too serious but I got a cut on my knee. About a week later my knee blew up and was immensely painful to walk on as one of the Bursa Sacks had become infected. Tried a few types of antibiotics without luck and eventually they ran a test and it came back with something really rare. I had to take people from the Health department to the accident site so they could take soil samples!

I just got a steam link and steam controller but it doesn't seem to be working properly :( they both are fine during the menus but when the game loads up the controller doesn't work- it only lets me activate the steam menu. I know it's actually connected as with The Talos Principle it said "press any button" and I was able to bring up the steam menu keyboard and get a key pressed in and it went to start game but... no dice after that :( I really don't understand why. Is there a thread for steam links/controllers ;(((

Does anyone know where to find good, semi-unbiased information on Australian university courses? I'm trying to decide which university to do my masters at, and posting on whirlpool was no help at all. I think everyone on there is more interested on shitting on other people than actually being helpful.

Do you guys think it would be worth moving to Sydney to do a masters in IR? :( I got accepted into the course but I'm really not sure whether to go through with it or not. Sydney is so expensive and there is a similarish course at UQ I could do. My boyfriend is also going through a pretty rough bout of depression so I'm worried about uprooting him.

Deeku

I don't know about that specific program, but Usyd is supposed to have a pretty strong reputation in the arts/poli-sci areas. I think it's worth it regardless just to do post grad at a different uni/place. You know, meeting different people, being in a new environment and what not

I just got a steam link and steam controller but it doesn't seem to be working properly :( they both are fine during the menus but when the game loads up the controller doesn't work- it only lets me activate the steam menu. I know it's actually connected as with The Talos Principle it said "press any button" and I was able to bring up the steam menu keyboard and get a key pressed in and it went to start game but... no dice after that :( I really don't understand why. Is there a thread for steam links/controllers ;(((
There's a couple of active threads for each. Just search Gaming Discussion.

I've had trouble when some games expect /only/ a controller or keyboard/mouse to be present (such as Fallout 4). When you launch the game, it loads fine, but nothing responds. I found in this case, restarting the remote system (long press Steam button, choose restart at the bottom) usually fixes it.

Don't know if Talos Principle works like that though. You can always press the Steam button, and trying changing the controller config from joystick/controller buttons to pressing keyboard keys instead.

I keep having to remind myself: they only officially launched last month, and they're still very much a work in progress. Really only suitable for early adopters right now. The Link seems the more stable of the two for me though.

The Christmas weekend begins tonight with an evening at my wife's cousins' place for dinner. It's going to be a long exhausting weekend but I'm so pumped for it.

Hooray! Can I have some? :3

That's the Whirlpool experience!
Ack, I wish I knew that beforehand. Every response has been snobby, jerky, and completely unrelated to my question.

Is there anything better?
I don't know about that specific program, but Usyd is supposed to have a pretty strong reputation in the arts/poli-sci areas. I think it's worth it regardless just to do post grad at a different uni/place. You know, meeting different people, being in a new environment and what not
Yeah, it does seem like an exciting experience at least!

Yeah, it does seem like an exciting experience at least!
I'm sure they could put you onto alumni who would be happy to talk and their experience. Or even maybe a Skype chat* or something with whoever heads up the course? They'd probably be likely to bang the drum a little, but at least you'd hear from graduates.

*Setup by someone who's not an academic, because as if they'd ever do that themselves, or want to learn how.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Fancy cheeses, dips have been had
Moving on to pork spare ribs and sausages

Dessert is trifle and stuff
Going to die by the end of Saturday

So much food halp

r1chard

My task for xmas (next week) is to make brandy custard. So today I bought brandy. I hope some is left by Monday...

Boardgaming was much fun today, and I got to take my new house for a guests test-run. Practically a housewarming. BBQ, Galaxy Truckers, HewBrew and Spyrium. And some Pokemanz vs Cam when the others weren't looking. His psychic deck is crazy good. Feeling virtuous going for a run after Cam left, so nyah. Seriously though, if I do have a housewarming, it'll be a very similar experience to today :)

Jintor

Going to whirlpool for anything beyond tech help is like going to gaf for non game or food definition related discussion. You can do it but you should know what you're getting into

Going to whirlpool for anything beyond tech help is like going to gaf for non game or food definition related discussion. You can do it but you should know what you're getting into

The whole self-help/lifestyle section is very weird. Someone will ask a question like, "I'm 22 and I haven't decided the direction of my life yet, what should I do?" The only answers they get are along the line of: When I was your age I had 2 investment properties, 250k of super, walked to and from work, uphill both ways, I was married with 3 kids and everyone already though I was a top bloke, you're fucked kid may as well give up now. Weird obsession on complete self-reliance from government/authority and the complete misbelief that they have actually achieved it.

On second thought, let's not go to Camelot Whirlpool. It is a silly place.

Agreed richard,

His psychic deck is painful.

20r371winlp7.png

Deeku

actually whirlpool was really helpful when it came to applying for grad programs and stuff. those guys are on their shit!

Die hard, check.
Next up, love actually.

Are you guys getting your christmas film night on?

actually whirlpool was really helpful when it came to applying for grad programs and stuff. those guys are on their shit!

mmm, I remember it being good for grad advice too. That's why I thought it might be useful for uni stuff. Alas.

The whole self-help/lifestyle section is very weird. Someone will ask a question like, "I'm 22 and I haven't decided the direction of my life yet, what should I do?" The only answers they get are along the line of: When I was your age I had 2 investment properties, 250k of super, walked to and from work, uphill both ways, I was married with 3 kids and everyone already though I was a top bloke, you're fucked kid may as well give up now. Weird obsession on complete self-reliance from government/authority and the complete misbelief that they have actually achieved it.

On second thought, let's not go to Camelot Whirlpool. It is a silly place.

hah! Yeah it was completely like that.

Jintor

on the topic of grad, i'm kinda thinking of going to UTS for a masters in journalism maybe even though the job prospects are lol@what

*rolls around in christmas dinner*

ah the traditional christmas dinner of "dad picked up roast duck and siu yuk from the store on the way home". (We focus on christmas day lunch so I'm cool with it)

jambo

We normally watch Love Actually and a Die Hard, but with a late bday dinner and a 6 month old baby I think we might have to do it tomorrow night.

Does anyone know where to find good, semi-unbiased information on Australian university courses? I'm trying to decide which university to do my masters at, and posting on whirlpool was no help at all. I think everyone on there is more interested on shitting on other people than actually being helpful.

Don't know how to help but just feel your pain. This kind of thing should really be more transparent/easier to navigate.

I think it's worth it regardless just to do post grad at a different uni/place. You know, meeting different people, being in a new environment and what not

Definitely! Would recommend

dity

Merry actually Christmas everyone!

I'm watching Lil' Elvis and the Truckstoppers on Christmas, because it's what all real aussies do.

My task for xmas (next week) is to make brandy custard. So today I bought brandy. I hope some is left by Monday...

Boardgaming was much fun today, and I got to take my new house for a guests test-run. Practically a housewarming. BBQ, Galaxy Truckers, HewBrew and Spyrium. And some Pokemanz vs Cam when the others weren't looking. His psychic deck is crazy good. Feeling virtuous going for a run after Cam left, so nyah. Seriously though, if I do have a housewarming, it'll be a very similar experience to today :)

so was there an email i was ment to get again or what?

Fredescu

Merry Christmas AusGAF.

My son's months of teaching my daughter to say "bum bum face" has paid off today as she greets everyone in my extended family with "bum bum face" on Christmas morning.

Merry Christmas AusGAF.

My son's months of teaching my daughter to say "bum bum face" has paid off today as she greets everyone in my extended family with "bum bum face" on Christmas morning.

The important lessons in life are learned at home

Brought to you by the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom