• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to Bondi Beach today. The reaction of both my girlfriend and I was: "this is it?" It's the most decidedly third-rate beach I've ever been to - especially when compared to Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. Hell, I've been to beaches in England that are better than Bondi. It's the Beats headphones of beaches.

Whoever does the marketing for Bondi needs to be congratulated.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Whoever does the marketing for Bondi needs to be congratulated.

It's Sydney in a nutshell.

A large image that outsiders have of Australia is that Sydney is the be-all-end-all of Australia and that everything outside of it is either a waste of time or just shit. This mentality is promoted by practically all of the tourism media that Australia generates as well. Whenever you see Australia in a movie it's Sydney. Whenever you see Australian landmarks its the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, etc. The UK has the same problem with just cramming London down everyone's throat.

I'm hoping that the Commonwealth Games being held in Gold Coast starts a pivot towards marketing South-east Queensland a lot more. I thoroughly enjoyed my time living there, and would easily live there if given the opportunity.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
I prefer the colder water down south personally. It depends what you're doing - if you're chilling a bit, warm is better. If you're swimming, the cold water helps a lot.

Yea it's a real shame. I've been waiting for a good beach day but it's either 24 or 42 degrees.

YES THIS. Been giving me the shits. Just gimme a perfect 32 degree day, that's my benchmark for very warm but not dehydrating warm!

Although by end of Jan the water here seems to be warmer which is great.

Fredescu

I went to Bondi Beach today. The reaction of both my girlfriend and I was: "this is it?" It's the most decidedly third-rate beach I've ever been to - especially when compared to Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. Hell, I've been to beaches in England that are better than Bondi. It's the Beats headphones of beaches.

Eh, it's all about proximity to the CBD. It's very easy to access if you live or work in the city. If you live and/or work in Brisbane it's a hike to get to either Sunshine or Gold coasts. I'm sorry if someone hyped it up to be more than it was, but you can see on Google Earth or whatever that it's just a tiny little thing.

r1chard

Finally bought Witcher 3 at 50% off - I can justify this by saying I'm only paying for the half of the game that isn't misogynistic. After the three days of downloading, I'll know whether it deserves all these GOTY awards :)

senahorse

Would love to know this as well, while not perfect, The Witcher 3 deals with sexism/misogyny better than most games out there, never mind this is based on lore already created in books. It's a world that certainly is tougher on women (think real life's middle ages) but at the same time the most powerful people in the game are women. Sure Geralt has sex with a bunch (if you choose) but he never treats them badly and has some morals about him.

MoonGred

YES THIS. Been giving me the shits. Just gimme a perfect 32 degree day, that's my benchmark for very warm but not dehydrating warm!

Although by end of Jan the water here seems to be warmer which is great.

I hope so. Last year we had the worst of luck, during the week it was 33 degrees and as soon as the weekend hit it would jump up to 40 or drop to mid 20. I've honestly tried going to the beach on those days and it just isn't pleasant.
The beach we go to is in Breamlea which is about 20 min from Geelong and doesn't get too busy and isn't a gross bay beach.

Can we all agree that nothing is worse than St Kilda beach? I know so many Irish backpackers that are obsessed with it and I just can't get my head around it.

ParityClaws
I always see you playing TW3 that combined with the screenshot thread really wants me to give the game another shot. I'm about 30h in do I just restart the game?

senahorse

I hope so. Last year we had the worst of luck, during the week it was 33 degrees and as soon as the weekend hit it would jump up to 40 or drop to mid 20. I've honestly tried going to the beach on those days and it just isn't pleasant.
The beach we go to is in Breamlea which is about 20 min from Geelong and doesn't get too busy and isn't a gross bay beach.

Can we all agree that nothing is worse than St Kilda beach? I know so many Irish backpackers that are obsessed with it and I just can't get my head around it.

ParityClaws
I always see you playing TW3 that combined with the screenshot thread really wants me to give the game another shot. I'm about 30h in do I just restart the game?

Hmm I would just keep going if I was you. All depends how much you remember I guess, as there is an overwhelming amount of content and there is much you are going to miss. I am on my second play-through doing newgame+ and then will do the dlc.

I am using a bunch of mods this time around. Friendly HUD which basically makes the HUD invisible except for when I need it (e.g. when fighting I can see health bars when they change and when using witcher senses I can see waypoints and the minimap), I have another one which changes the camera to be pulled in right behind geralt.

Here's one showing how it looks in-game without the HUD and the camera position:

Ydq1ZK9ojOALEZFpXqnDDCQZ1eSVcVTGmdO4YdQt6zpFZB9v__9psOOmqv7pnQ3AwWXpY4v05x9Yf4mBda87WbrsMEaAV2kIsU_MQ5NFCSDm1jrmR2xYIlJUkOMG61W60zMsM5xwWw5zjY1H11czNheSiakk664RkkWhHXAxaQlk5dJtokruzegduDzWxadHjVAdtJuSLUChEpRU0iktIP_jrlxkziNiAiONIJ0yXTzyGDaLfcgIgtltP2sCV1JOlXerpUEl5AA-6V-VmyaCd4UEyuKIViNTxNQLg6kyhx8C-_gZhUKg1D5H1mneFASrohP7ByoyQVPmV-b4ql70yidl8oeKh38PmepGlKI_kpE2oSLrKt6SHnvWv0hfjITYdZVtxiTLNe-yOY2IRzsEvgAKVOXL9Ad3poNhJv4lR_kfdsmYxz_tKiaMPgVc7Ib3U4pac8CzDWQiOakOnxruERt8ops_FR5Y98ccJDzMwsuvfT865wIzarI7EtNYzFvoSjBg_GWicWRsc7-A5YovOldH28AjVOjoh7KgJXR7pTXqvbunZC9bO67bolcduOL5HaVK=w1633-h918-no

And here is using witcher senses to show minimap, objectives etc:

g2QnvJQz4wboDwN7FFrKWMHZwq58dWLKqhFuQvAfAmhYjFgUgA1BjqfoQIHX4um70qBCQyBqcZ8ezxpL6NqH_WDqpxWWa9hZlccXx9NZt2WtxBv2UyCp3Vno8toR3S1y8qIQpNZn94MzeqXNsLcjE_XOrVyFXcil5DpXmpSsCurEhD4Dpmy43ZKFTTVdylJczCeosiCY9O_LuoKOezse6UlG--SXpSPl-2eJqu_yyDB7Eel4XO7DE88mXN5jGuFRKma0kIjjXzX11t_U_QsUB2KSMr34-z8aWasrPh1EpEoH6Y5OimzYfpGO1Hwmo4uFpZQs11l2UdZBKUJ6HdO8kvb2auWjYncSuXCsCCM-3sueocW___TapJJu7toQ7FJmtF0c7Y9XZvtrnBTGsEjbPuYO5e_ukVjpp-SSl8W8js3XAFnY3wb_NOFiJbnTRt_QkbXO4YWtC7wcWoi4g_QnUs7K5zvEmg1MNEblSFWkG5cTG3TpYMP17E9x9ncHYsgooa5OQQlhooUK-DTp4v_ZP8nAY5q7eK9R1e49ArQtfbSbQbATcfsWTMS84IdtnE76xMxO=w1633-h918-no

Also using a mod that allows me to teleport from anywhere (still to a signpost) and a couple of lighting and texture mods.

I played about half of Witcher 3 without any HUD elements turned on, and yeah, while it was gorgeous, it did get a little annoying at times.

I just told myself looking at the map for orientation was Geralt doing the same.

Richard, I might still have the full GOG install on a USB stick if you're still having trouble with the download (assuming I can find it). Might be a few patches behind now, but probably a lot less to download.

senahorse

That's why I have it linked to witcher senses cods, so that while I am running around I can just turn it on briefly if I need to find something.

It's Sydney in a nutshell.

A large image that outsiders have of Australia is that Sydney is the be-all-end-all of Australia and that everything outside of it is either a waste of time or just shit. This mentality is promoted by practically all of the tourism media that Australia generates as well. Whenever you see Australia in a movie it's Sydney. Whenever you see Australian landmarks its the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, etc. The UK has the same problem with just cramming London down everyone's throat.

I'm hoping that the Commonwealth Games being held in Gold Coast starts a pivot towards marketing South-east Queensland a lot more. I thoroughly enjoyed my time living there, and would easily live there if given the opportunity.

I hope not, I quite like how overlooked Queensland is.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Agreed everyone. Adelaide is best.

Brisbane and Perth probably too.

Sydney is stupid big, and not well organised. Tokyo? Fine. Sydney? Get out why do you have so many tunnels.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Melbourne however, has just informed me by way of sign that there is a free Dave Graney concert 600m from me in 3 weeks time.

So it's trying it's darndest to be liked.

Fredescu

Sydney's upsides are the source of its downsides. The waterways are pretty cool, but they geographically separate parts of the city, making it very hard to get around. It sucks when you live in a different part to where you work as the commutes can be crap. My wife and I both live pretty close to work at the moment which is lucky. I live with a fear in the back of my mind that this will one day change.

This is the reason Melbourne will overtake Sydney in population in the coming decades.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
What you'd do if in a city sim game is knock down most of the inner west and build large buildings around schools and green spaces.

Instead of buying a house, you'd buy a three or four bedder apartment in a building that was of a decent square footage.

Each high density area would have a decent direct train line to the city.

Mimic at lower volumes in Parramatta and Campbelltown, and probably Bankstown.

Anyone who didn't need to be local to the CBD/North Sydney would live in the in-between areas in low density house-with-a-backyard options.

It'd make property prices close to the majority of jobs more reasonable, reduce commute times, and vastly reduce the need for personal transport for most people.

r1chard

Spent most of today at Jell's Park, which I've only ever been to once before in 1986 to see Halley's Comet...

Was lots of fun with the extended family, relaxing and riding the bikes around the lake. Glad the 50% rain chance disappeared to nothing too :)

Richard, I might still have the full GOG install on a USB stick if you're still having trouble with the download (assuming I can find it). Might be a few patches behind now, but probably a lot less to download.
Thanks, but I left the download on overnight and it's just passed the 1 hour to go mark (29.2 / 30.5 GB downloaded). I've got plenty to occupy myself with for an hour until it's finished :)

Wait, which half is misogynistic?
There are many opinions, and people whose opinions I trust have said things. I'm not gonna go into it, because I know that people can have different opinions :)

I saw Ratcat live when they played support for INXS
in 1991

I assume they have had time to practice, develop some talent, learn a second chord.

Dryk

The more I play Xenoblade X the more I realise that people joking that there needs to be a seminar you can attend to explain the game to you were actually being serious

Glenelg is sweet, spent many summers there. Sydney are super sucky though. I still think VIC coast has some of the best in the country, our ones are awesome.
Glenelg seems nicer before you realise that the whole thing is held together with duct tape and string because of all that fucking development

Yrael

The more I play Xenoblade X the more I realise that people joking that there needs to be a seminar you can attend to explain the game to you were actually being serious

Only one more day (hopefully) until my Y-cable arrives and I can finally expand my Wii U's storage space enough to install that game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom