• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0VAM0D

Went to go see Yung Lean last night it was insane, I basically almost died in the crowd, so I grabbed my other super short friend who was also being crushed, and I dragged us out of the front section and upstairs where it was so much more enjoyable. Who knew Yung Lean fans were so shit? I honestly thought it'd be a lot more chill. Oh well, it was still a fun time!

Is anyone in Sydney/surrounding areas going to see Toro y Moi at the Oxford Art Factory tomorrow night? I'm so excited, ahh! And then on the 6th I have Mac DeMarco, then on the 7th I see Bloc Party! Thinking about getting tickets for Disclosure on the 5th if I can find them on Gumtree. Busy week!

In other news, tonight I decided to drive tonight instead of drinking for some party I went to (trying really hard to cut back on alcohol, it's tough, so I've been forcing myself to be the driver), and it started pelting really fucking hard while I was on my way home. This would normally be okay for most people, except I'm still on my reds, and I've never driven in such intense, heavy rain. I couldn't see anything, it was so horrible, and I was genuinely afraid I wasn't going to make it home at one point. That was when the whole car started fogging up while I was on the highway. That shouldn't be much of a problem either, but, I didn't actually know how to fix it. So I somehow found a spot to pullover and attempt to fix it, which fucking took forever. Now I'm home and all snuggly in bed tho, so I think I'm alive. Fun times.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
In other news, tonight I decided to drive tonight instead of drinking for some party I went to (trying really hard to cut back on alcohol, it's tough, so I've been forcing myself to be the driver), and it started pelting really fucking hard while I was on my way home. This would normally be okay for most people, except I'm still on my reds, and I've never driven in such intense, heavy rain. I couldn't see anything, it was so horrible, and I was genuinely afraid I wasn't going to make it home at one point. That was when the whole car started fogging up while I was on the highway. That shouldn't be much of a problem either, but, I didn't actually know how to fix it. So I somehow found a spot to pullover and attempt to fix it, which fucking took forever. Now I'm home and all snuggly in bed tho, so I think I'm alive. Fun times.

I find cranking the AC on demister mode with the lowest temp possible works well. If possible, make sure the front seat vents (right of wheel, mirrored on far left of dash) are directed towards the side windows.

However, best tip is if it's too heavy to see, pull over until it passes.

r1chard

Played a good few hours of Witcher last night. It certainly is a well-made game, yes.

I find cranking the AC on demister mode with the lowest temp possible works well. If possible, make sure the front seat vents (right of wheel, mirrored on far left of dash) are directed towards the side windows.
Yep, any AC will suck the moisture right off your windows.

My Lancer's air system is a bit shit, so even if I'm blowing "fresh" air in full force on the windscreen it'll still fog up on rainy days, so I need to switch to AC every now and then. Great for those really cold rainy days :/ [it's a great car otherwise, too :-( ]

This, yes.

legend166

I went to Bondi Beach today. The reaction of both my girlfriend and I was: "this is it?" It's the most decidedly third-rate beach I've ever been to - especially when compared to Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. Hell, I've been to beaches in England that are better than Bondi. It's the Beats headphones of beaches.

I've found that the beaches in the Eastern Suburbs are really lame. Bondi especially. The only thing those beaches have going for them is they are closer to the CBD.

The best beaches in Sydney are all in the North. Palm Beach is amazing. If you need something closer to the city, Freshwater Beach is really nice too.

Best beach in NSW is Hyams Beach. Like going to the Whitsundays except it's 3 hours drive from Sydney.

legend166

What you'd do if in a city sim game is knock down most of the inner west and build large buildings around schools and green spaces.

Instead of buying a house, you'd buy a three or four bedder apartment in a building that was of a decent square footage.

Each high density area would have a decent direct train line to the city.

Mimic at lower volumes in Parramatta and Campbelltown, and probably Bankstown.

Anyone who didn't need to be local to the CBD/North Sydney would live in the in-between areas in low density house-with-a-backyard options.

It'd make property prices close to the majority of jobs more reasonable, reduce commute times, and vastly reduce the need for personal transport for most people.

The state government actually needs to get serious about enticing big(er) business to move jobs out west.

Everyone talks about Parramatta as the 'second CBD' but it's not even as big as Chatswood.

I'm not too fussed though. The express Blue Mountains train is the best kept secret in the city. I get to live in the lower Mountains and get to work in 1 hr 10 mins door to door, which is okay since I get a seat on the train the whole way.

An office in Parramatta would be nice though.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
My PS4 was finally dispatched by Target ebay. I assume it'll arrive tomorrow, but my knowledge so far of Australia Post tells me to stifle myself.

What you'd do if in a city sim game is knock down most of the inner west and build large buildings around schools and green spaces.

Instead of buying a house, you'd buy a three or four bedder apartment in a building that was of a decent square footage.

Each high density area would have a decent direct train line to the city.

Mimic at lower volumes in Parramatta and Campbelltown, and probably Bankstown.

Anyone who didn't need to be local to the CBD/North Sydney would live in the in-between areas in low density house-with-a-backyard options.

It'd make property prices close to the majority of jobs more reasonable, reduce commute times, and vastly reduce the need for personal transport for most people.

A tornado could ravage its way through Canterbury and Bankstown and the news would report that it's caused $1 billion in improvements.

I've found that the beaches in the Eastern Suburbs are really lame. Bondi especially. The only thing those beaches have going for them is they are closer to the CBD.

The best beaches in Sydney are all in the North. Palm Beach is amazing. If you need something closer to the city, Freshwater Beach is really nice too.

Best beach in NSW is Hyams Beach. Like going to the Whitsundays except it's 3 hours drive from Sydney.

When we stayed in Gosford we were told there were some good beaches nearby. We didn't have the time to check them though.

N0VAM0D

And now I know, thanks! I mean, it's sort of obvious, but I was so on edge I just had to stop the car and chill out.

Back at work.

Blergh.

:(

What makes a good beach? I suspect the answer would differ slightly from person to person.

I'm personally super scared of waves and if I can't touch the bottom I freak out and get really upset, so, for me it's somewhere really calm and lush. But, for everyone else it's just stuff like good waves, no seaweed, soft sand, not heaps of crowds, and nice views. I think Newcastle has really lovely beaches in that respect, and a lot of others seem to agree. We're pretty spoiled for choice here, tbh.

Hi AusGAF, have we compared hottest 100 vote lists yet? Pretty happy with my list this year, had to cull a few to get it down to 10 which is unusual for me!

RUFUS - You Were Right

RUFUS - Like An Animal

Tame Impala - Let It Happen

Major Lazer - Lean On {Ft. M¿/DJ Snake}

DJ Snake - Middle {Ft. Bipolar Sunshine}

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood

Kita Alexander - My Own Way

Passion Pit - Lifted Up (1985)

Hermitude - The Buzz {Ft. Mataya/Young Tapz}

Duke Dumont - Ocean Drive

jambo

While I listened to a fair amount of Triple JJJ in 2014, I listened to almost none this year.

I think installing a bluetooth head unit in my car has killed radio for me.

Except for Classic FM and ABC Grandstand.

While I listened to a fair amount of Triple JJJ in 2014, I listened to almost none this year.

To be honest I pretty much never listen to the station, but I do follow their playlist on Spotify... I'm mostly voting for my chance to win the golden ticket!

jambo

To be honest I pretty much never listen to the station, but I do follow their playlist on Spotify... I'm mostly voting for my chance to win the golden ticket!

I'm not a huge fan of randomised playlists, so while I do subscribe to Google Music, I just use it to listen to albums.

I suppose a radio playlist might work though. Does it follow the days songs, or is it just anything from their current selection?

I got engaged!

Congrats! Do you have a date yet? Already pregnant?

I suppose a radio playlist might work though. Does it follow the days songs, or is it just anything from their current selection?

Just a list of songs currently on rotation... I tend to hit the skip button a decent amount but I find it to be a good way to discover new music and I just add the good stuff to my own playlists.

Stackboy

Hi AusGAF, have we compared hottest 100 vote lists yet?

I think I'm done with voting in the Hottest 100. JJJ plays way too much electronic pop that I would expect to hear on Nova, so my days of voting are done, I think. I listen to JJJ on the way to work and mostly get angry about the song choices.

I'll stick to double j.

Next year for new years I might find away to stay home and drink and watch movies or something. But my wife loves celebrating it.

Being back at work today is hard, I feel the pain.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I have to have a proper go over of the jjj list to see if there was anything I was listening to that I didn't realise was current.

But odds are the list will just be a mix of death grips and major lazer.

Spinifex

Next year for new years I might find away to stay home and drink and watch movies or something. But my wife loves celebrating it.

This is my ideal new years. I hate the 'oh you have to go out and celebrate and PARTY WOOOOOOOO' mindset that everybody seems to have.

MoonGred

Why are all the good lunch places in the CBD still shut, it really drove home the point that I shouldn't be at work just yet.

Have any of you been to the Andy Warhol and Ai Weiwei exhibition at the NGV yet?

Dead Man

Well that ban was... delayed? Late? Stupid? Anyway, hi all.

Did for me, I never have the radio on in the car now, always music off my phone.

MoonGred

The thing I love is listening to a podcast or album on the train home, then seamlessly continuing it in my car without cables or using a shitty phone speaker.

That and not having to deal with ads is the main reason why I do exactly the same.
Pretty much the same with tv, once you start streaming there's just no turning back, it became quite clear to me a while ago that free to air and foxtel is nothing but ads, and lets face it, nothing good is ever on.

Dead Man

Reported!
Off for another week! ;p
The thing I love is listening to a podcast or album on the train home, then seamlessly continuing it in my car without cables or using a shitty phone speaker.
Yeah, for albums it is awesome.
That and not having to deal with ads is the main reason why I do exactly the same.
Pretty much the same with tv, once you start streaming there's just no turning back, it became quite clear to me a while ago that free to air and foxtel is nothing but ads, and lets face it, nothing good is ever on.
I watch foxtel at my partners, the trick is just record everything so you can fast forward the ads. There's a few good things on, but not much, certainly not worth the money if I was paying the bill.

jambo

I agree in regards to commercial free to air, but with Foxtel I always got it for sports and all of that stuff is no ads siren to siren.

I will probably get Foxtel again this year, although the combination of Channel 7 going HD and the XBone getting DVR might hold it off for a while.

MoonGred

I agree in regards to commercial free to air, but with Foxtel I always got it for sports and all of that stuff is no ads siren to siren.

I will probably get Foxtel again this year, although the combination of Channel 7 going HD and the XBone getting DVR might hold it off for a while.

Yea I can see the argument for sports but they still charge you a shit load don't they? Up until this season I always got nba league pass which is still exy but you get a lot of bang for your buck.

jambo

Yea I can see the argument for sports but they still charge you a shit load don't they? Up until this season I always got nba league pass which is still exy but you get a lot of bang for your buck.

The problem is I watch AFL, Formula 1 and a bit of V8s, and none of those sports have direct services that are up to scratch.

F1 and V8 have nothing, and the AFL only offers a sub HD option that is geared towards mobiles and tablets.

I also love Darts, Snooker and Golf, and Foxtel is great for those.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Woo.

PP4IaZO.jpg

MoonGred

The problem is I watch AFL, Formula 1 and a bit of V8s, and none of those sports have direct services that are up to scratch.

F1 and V8 have nothing, and the AFL only offers a sub HD option that is geared towards mobiles and tablets.

I also love Darts, Snooker and Golf, and Foxtel is great for those.

Yea f1 is a pain to get,and I completely forgot about V8.
So weird that the BBC always used to air snooker and darts at the most random times, I could never get into snooker, but was always fascinated by darts the footage is always from guys with a massive gut, filmed in a pub.

HolyCheck

Doco on Sbs at 8:35pm tonight "the real history of science fiction"

Sounds interesting.
About the history of scifi, got lots of big authors there.

Just started.

Part 1 of 4 it seems

industrian

Can someone give me advice on where to buy cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne. My girlfriend and I are thinking about visiting on the 22-24 January.

HolyCheck

Can someone give me advice on where to buy cheap flights from Sydney to Melbourne. My girlfriend and I are thinking about visiting on the 22-24 January.

Best bet, clear your cache, open your browser in private browsing mode and just hit up jetstar and tigerairs websites. Rinse and repeat after each search.

Also organise melbgaf drinks.

OfficerZap

Neo Member

It'll be difficult to find cheap flights or accommodation for those dates. Too close to a national public holiday so no incentive to discount - plane seats will fill easily.

industrian

Stay for Australia day! You get to meet me :D

My girlfriend works Monday-Friday and it may be hard for her to get the 25th off.

It'll be difficult to find cheap flights or accommodation for those dates. Too close to a national public holiday so no incentive to discount - plane seats will fill easily.

We're looking at 15-17 January now. I forgot all about Australia Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom