• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Well that's it, there is a local shipping point, Oculus have a shipping location in Australia. Something doesn't quite add up.

edit:

This is from when I bought a DK2

Oculus VR, Inc. is required to charge 10% Australian on all sales to our Australian customers. This is due to the fact that we ship our products from a warehouse in Australia, and therefore have already imported the goods to Australia before we sell our product.

Note that Oculus VR, Inc. is registered for GST in Australia, as required. Our ABN number and GST number is 89 760 407 953. We will send you a valid Australian GST tax invoice.

This means that you, as the customer, do not have to import the products to Australia, so you do not have to pay the duty and import GST to Australian customs when you receive the product from us.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dieter
Oculus VR Support

MoonGred

I don't think people have an issue with the base price, bar the $50 price increase which seems to be to cover gst (this should mean that we can't get hit with import tax and the price should remain at $1100).
But the shipping is what kills it, 1/5th of the actual unit price is very steep. Going by people on whirlpool this is what bugs people the most, including myself.

Well that's it, there is a local shipping point, Oculus have a shipping location in Australia. Something doesn't quite add up.

edit:

This is from when I bought a DK2

This is due to the fact that we ship our products from a warehouse in Australia, and therefore have already imported the goods to Australia before we sell our product.

Well well well, very interesting. In that case the shipping price is VERY hard to swallow.

senahorse

Well the steam controller and link certainly isn't, at least not directly. But being HTC they might make it available somehow. Having said that, I am expecting Vive to cost even more.

MoonGred

Well the steam controller and link certainly isn't, at least not directly. But being HTC they might make it available somehow. Having said that, I am expecting Vive to cost even more.

Yea I have no grounds to base this on apart from the unavailability of the controller and link, but htc will most likely have the final say in it.

Oculus just confirmed on their twitter that the Australian price is in fact in USD.

Mostly unrelated, but after almost a month with the Link and Controller, I love the Link and am beginning to warm to the Controller. Only really played controller-y type games with it though. Didn't have the patience last night to try and create a config for Age of Empires 2 when it wasn't perfect in 5 minutes.

MoonGred

Mostly unrelated, but after almost a month with the Link and Controller, I love the Link and am beginning to warm to the Controller. Only really played controller-y type games with it though. Didn't have the patience last night to try and create a config for Age of Empires 2 when it wasn't perfect in 5 minutes.

Where did you get it from? Ebay prices seem to have a pretty high mark-up

senahorse

Amazon were shipping to Australia for a while. They appear to have stopped that now, and they went out of stock anyway.

It looks like I could get twice what I paid for the Steam Controller on eBay.

Actually, looks like the Controller is available on Amazon again, and ships to Australia. As is the Link.

Thanks to you I just spent more money, bundle ordered. I did want the Steam controller before X-Com 2 came out anyway.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
8mmwBNF.png

So it's been doing nothing for three days eh? :/

At the very least they could have added a "Wednesday 6th: Considered doing some shit with your package, had a long lunch instead" message. I would have understood that.

8mmwBNF.png

So it's been doing nothing for three days eh? :/

At the very least they could have added a "Wednesday 6th: Considered doing some shit with your package, had a long lunch instead" message. I would have understood that.

I'll take an uneducated guess that Target booked the conn note but haven't actually put it out in the pickup area for AusPost to grab it from them yet.

TheBear

What do we all think PSVR is going to be in dollary-doos?

I had it pegged at $399 US, but including the ol' unlubed Australia tax it'll probably be $900

MoonGred

Id say psvr will be the same as ps4 launch price.

The thing happened where I've come to terms with the rift price, the one thing that really rubs me the wrong way is the the price is in usd and with the tanking aud it will just increase.

What do we all think PSVR is going to be in dollary-doos?

I had it pegged at $399 US, but including the ol' unlubed Australia tax it'll probably be $900

Just the headset and breakout box? I'm thinking $500 here. Any more will be too painful.

Headset, breakout box, camera, at least one move controller? $600 maybe, in any case if it's more than $100 over the headset SKU it's fucked.

They also said it would be around the cost of a console, I'm assuming they are talking about just the headset/box SKU in regards to that, so yeah $500 sounds close.

Stackboy

These dollar-roo amounts you are throwing around are far too much for me to afford.

I remember when video games were played on a tv, durnit.

How much did your TV cost?

I only use my TV for gaming so I'm part of the problem >_<
Actually, I wonder what these VR devices are like for watching (static) movies on.

My friend has the old Sony visor (TMZ1?) which I've tried, and it was interesting, but the res was low enough that there was a noticeable screen door effect. Plus it was very uncomfortable to wear.

Yrael

My PC gaming is done on a laptop (since portability is important to me - it manages to run almost everything on ultra settings well enough, so it suits my needs). The "cheapest" option right now would probably be buying a graphics amplifier (which now seems to be $451 on the Dell website...Jesus. I swear it wasn't that expensive a few months ago) along with a GTX 970 (~$450). Add on an extra $1100 for the Rift...and wow, about 2000 dollarydoos. Bahahaha. Not going to happen for a while. xD

The price of entry will inevitably drop with time, so I'm not fussed.

CryptiK

So wait now I have conflicting reports, people on Whirlpool that have bought it said it was 650AUD then add a ridiculous amount of shipping. But then others are saying its 650USD.

And holy shit, over $100 worth of shipping and its shipping within Australia? Thats eBay level mark up lmao.

So wait now I have conflicting reports, people on Whirlpool that have bought it said it was 650AUD then add a ridiculous amount of shipping. But then others are saying its 650USD.

And holy shit, over $100 worth of shipping and its shipping within Australia? Thats eBay level mark up lmao.
Oculus said it's def $650 USD. And yeah, clarity on postage would be great.

CryptiK

Have they put out official specs yet? I mean they are asking for 650USD pre-orders but do we know the exact screen-res etc?

lcd soundsystem reunion fuck yesh

Hi AusGAF, have we compared hottest 100 vote lists yet? Pretty happy with my list this year, had to cull a few to get it down to 10 which is unusual for me!

RUFUS - You Were Right

RUFUS - Like An Animal

Tame Impala - Let It Happen

Major Lazer - Lean On {Ft. M¿/DJ Snake}

DJ Snake - Middle {Ft. Bipolar Sunshine}

Grimes - Flesh Without Blood

Kita Alexander - My Own Way

Passion Pit - Lifted Up (1985)

Hermitude - The Buzz {Ft. Mataya/Young Tapz}

Duke Dumont - Ocean Drive

nice list
a lot I haven't heard lol
Ocean Drive is such a catchy ass song

Your Hottest 100 votes:
Blur - Go Out
Blur - There Are Too Many Of Us
Kendrick Lamar - King Kunta
Major Lazer - Blaze Up The Fire {Ft. Chronixx}
Major Lazer - Too Original {Ft. Elliphant/Jovi Rockwell}
Muse - Psycho
Tyler, The Creator - DEATHCAMP
Death Grips - Have a Sad Cum BB
Death Grips - Why a Bitch Gotta Lie
Tyler, The Creator - RUN

DONE.

Now I can worry about 2016.

Edit: now in convenient playlist format for people https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdRVWB94J4Qk9Izko5FFPx7WfSW_a7Okp

respect for death grips
still haven't listened to their new lp tho :'(

still gotta do my own list
this past year I've listened to triple J the least ever. mainly play my own tunes on phone in car now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom