• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contemplated getting into vet nursing but I know I'd just cry too much. I can deal with people dying, not animals.
I'm the same. Animals just set me off in a weird way. I must've seen an animal being abused as a kid or something.

myOzxHZ.png

How much longer do I need to sit beside the front door?
itsmybirthday.jpg

While we're talking about dogs vs cats - if dogs have to be confined to a property so should cats. Just sayin'.
Cats won't maul kids if they are out of their yard ;)

But yeah, my cat comes in every night. He's a lazy bugger and just hangs out in the court with all the other cats and catches up with the local grandmas. If he started going further out and started hunting I'd keep him inside.

Pro's and Cons with picking a colourbond fence, compared to timber.

K go..

Costs more. Gets hot. Rusts.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Finally.

TjG8Wda.png

Not bad for $330. Does anyone want the Stan thing? I'll give it up for $15 or a game trade.

Fredescu

Yeah colourbond fences look tacky as hell. Overlapping timber fences don't have gaps in them. Pretty sure colourbond fences work out slightly cheaper as well.

We have colourbond on one side and timber on the other. I would go with timber if I had to build a new one.

Yeah colourbond fences look tacky as hell. Overlapping timber fences don't have gaps in them. Pretty sure colourbond fences work out slightly cheaper as well.

We have colourbond on one side and timber on the other. I would go with timber if I had to build a new one.

We build timber fences, at the same height as Colorbond, at like 66% the price of them. Timber should be way cheaper.

jambo

=[ it didn't hit me straight away, but it's starting to now. Last time I felt like this was Richard Wright.

Triple M and Double J are both streaming Bowie music all night and in to the morning.

I can't think of many other artists who would get that treatment.

Axiom

I've not been this depressed about the death of someone since my father passed away.

It's hit me that damn hard. Fuck man, I wish I'd gone to the exhibition about a hundred more times now.

Damn.

Cerity

anyone looking at pikcing up the current handhelds for cheap, make sure you check out cash converters online. I've been following 3ds and vita sales the last couple days and have seen quite a few 1st gen vitas go for <100. Picked up a n3ds xl for $120 inc shipping. Waaay cheaper compared to 2nd hand prices on ebay.

quabba

I'm the same. Animals just set me off in a weird way. I must've seen an animal being abused as a kid or something.

Cats won't maul kids if they are out of their yard ;)

But yeah, my cat comes in every night. He's a lazy bugger and just hangs out in the court with all the other cats and catches up with the local grandmas. If he started going further out and started hunting I'd keep him inside.

I'm more concerned about native wildlife than peoples kids, but I do live in rainforest.

My dogs (seen in my avatar) don't stink or drop hair, but one does need alot of attention. I don't encourage people to get dogs unless they really love them.

I'd get a cat too but it's been so long since I had one and I'd be worried about keeping it inside and out of fights with the neighbours cats which are always in my yard.

Oh yeah I have heaps of light scratches on my bonnet and the service centre said it looks like a cat has done it, so yeah...

Fredescu

We build timber fences, at the same height as Colorbond, at like 66% the price of them. Timber should be way cheaper.

Interesting. You're probably right, but is that the old paling styling, or the overlapping one? Steel posts or wooden? And does that include labour? I was under the impression that a colourbond fence is quicker to put up, so you can save on labour or save time if you're DIY.

Easier to maintain too.

Not necessarily. If you get a dent in your colourbond fence it's never coming out and you have to replace the whole section. Also timber is more flexible so will take more of a beating before any damage shows up, and a little bit of damage can look characterful anyway since the timber won't be perfectly uniform to start with.

Also a timber fence is quieter when you're hacking it to bits with a line trimmer.

senahorse

I guess one advantage of colorbond is the ongoing maintenance or lack thereof. A wooden fence, generally made from pine, needs to be painted or regularly stained unless you want that nice grey pine look. Also they will eventually rot, treated or not. We put up a 6-8ft high treated pine fence on one part of our property last year, 23M long, the cost was around $2000. We didn't bother staining it as we are growing a bamboo privacy screen in front of it to block the neighbours house out entirely :)

I have to routinely brush the spider webs off our colourbond fence, it's like a magnet to them. It's also pretty easy to remove a panel for access.

Fredescu

I think painting or staining the fence would be less common than just letting it age. If you build the fence with steel posts and don't have the timber touching the soil, it will last plenty long.

Also If the fence is along a slope, it's easier to get a timber fence looking uniform. To avoid the kind of zig zaggy colourbond panels along a slope you'd probably have to get a custom job.

Also If the fence is along a slope, it's easier to get a timber fence looking uniform. To avoid the kind of zig zaggy colourbond panels along a slope you'd probably have to get a custom job.

This is a good point, on 2 of the 3 sides of our place we have trim like in the picture below but instead of the angles, it's stepped and sits on top of sleepers. Looks pretty haphazard to be honest. The third has no trim at the top is angled with the not insignificant slope.

D21615152.jpg

I'm more concerned about native wildlife than peoples kids, but I do live in rainforest.

My dogs (seen in my avatar) don't stink or drop hair, but one does need alot of attention. I don't encourage people to get dogs unless they really love them.
Oh yeah having an outside cat is 100% dependant on the living environment. We are in a court with a ton of outside cats in the middle of town so we were fine with the idea of getting a cat. Our house is way too small to get an inside cat.

Dogs are indeed a ton of attention, or at least you should give them a ton. After growing up with them I don't think I could do it these days with a family, maybe if we didn't have kids.

Interesting. You're probably right, but is that the old paling styling, or the overlapping one? Steel posts or wooden? And does that include labour? I was under the impression that a colourbond fence is quicker to put up, so you can save on labour or save time if you're DIY.
All paling fences should be overlapping, looks better and is the most effective and long lasting in my opinion.
Wooden posts all the way, which type depends on the area and soil/wind. We generally use redgum here.
Colorbond (no u remember as it's a brand!) is quick to install but materials are expensive. If you're putting up your own fence a paling one is quick and easy tbh once you have a rundown of how to do it (aside from post digging, fuck post digging).

I think painting or staining the fence would be less common than just letting it age. If you build the fence with steel posts and don't have the timber touching the soil, it will last plenty long.

Yeah we don't paint/stain palings, majority out there will be unpainted. Should last well over 10 years without rot, much longer than that outside of heavy rain/wind areas.
The plinth will avoid the palings touching the soil and is super easy/cheap to replace in 10 years if it starts to rot.

(I've just spend the morning out quoting fences >_< )

Oh and as a ballpark figure for 1.8m high paling fences we charge around $90 a linear metre. Includes teardown/disposal of any old fence, supply of all materials and installation. Clearing of lines and/or extra retaining wall sections are extra due to how variable they are.

r1chard

Lego DnD was probably the highlight. Not sure I'll bother coming again unless we are playing that :p
Great day of games though in all seriousness. We should think about starting something long term though. Would be fun.
How about we give the D&D 5th Edition strarter pack a go? Who else would be interested?

Also, posting this because Young Cam (I think due to a lack of actual stunts this is a more appropriate moniker than Stunt Cam) is a slack bastard, I am posting this that he just emailed to me to post:

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
There's a pantsless drug addict asleep outside my office door.

Had to call the police.

They've now arrived and

Police: "how about you pull your pants up for us mate"
Man: "how about you fuck off"

It makes sense because puppies are 4 times better than kittens but still... Also, check out the depreciation on them. $200 for a puppy, $150 less if you want an older model. Kittens hold their price better but in the end you still have to live with a spiteful, clawed creature that you know is secretly plotting your downfall.

how do i give you points for a post

quabba

Ok ausgaf in March I am going to Europe via Hong Kong, I'm stay 2 nights on the way over but on the way back I have a over 12 hr layover. From 7am to 9:30pm.

Any ideas to turn this horrible wait into something better?

I figure I can leave the airport for a while but I'll probably be a zombie after an overnight flight from Amsterdam to HK.

Rezbit

Had to call the police.

They've now arrived and

Lmao you always know how to find them.

Also I saw Star Wars again. I think I actually enjoyed it more second time around, knowing what happens I was able to just settle in and chill and take it all in.

industrian

Does anyone have recommendations for tour companies for one-day tours to the Great Ocean Road? My partner and I will be in Melbourne this weekend and want to do a tour on Saturday.

MoonGred

what ones

I honestly don't even know the name of then, I just googled Mayo noodles, found and article and proceeded to look for the noodles in Melbourne, which wasn't hard to do at all.

Had to call the police.

They've now arrived and

Why do you attract such bogans Holy?

Stackboy

I figure I can leave the airport for a while but I'll probably be a zombie after an overnight flight from Amsterdam to HK.

Some of those fancy pants international air ports have pretty good amenities. Maybe check if there's somewhere you can hang out if you don't feel like being human. Take an ipad, stock up on movies, buy a Vita.

Deeku

Ok ausgaf in March I am going to Europe via Hong Kong, I'm stay 2 nights on the way over but on the way back I have a over 12 hr layover. From 7am to 9:30pm.

The airport express mtr (and the mtr in general) in HK is super convenient, 10mins to kowloon and 20 mins to hong kong island from the airport. So just take one out and go wherever for the day!

industrian

Go to Disney Land.

In 2012 and 2013 I did a few visa runs from Taipei to HK. I was too Scottish to pay for a hotel for a 12 hour turnaround so I just crashed on the seats in the main lobby and just slept there. On those visa runs I'd take a train into the city (it takes around 45 mins) and then just look around the city. There's a good pizza place and bar I hang out around on Wing Lok street (I can't remember their names) so I'd have a pizza and a few beers then head back to the airport, play some games on my Vita, then get some sleep.

Does anyone have recommendations for tour companies for one-day tours to the Great Ocean Road? My partner and I will be in Melbourne this weekend and want to do a tour on Saturday.
Don't know if you're amenable to it, but one of the best things to do on the Great Ocean Road is drive it. I'd suggest hire a car if you're in a position to - I don't think the weather's going to be that great, though.

MoonGred

Do any of you know anything about 2nd hand phone value? Contemplating selling my lg g4 but I have no clue what it's worth or where to even sell it.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it

Had to call the police.

They've now arrived and

I'm still laughing about this. Those pics on fb were pure gold.

Cerity

Do any of you know anything about 2nd hand phone value? Contemplating selling my lg g4 but I have no clue what it's worth or where to even sell it.

I just saw a price check over on overclockers that sounded familiar and it is you haha.

I'd expect around 350-400. Maybe up into 450 on ebay. There are places selling for $520 new and they've been as low as 450 thanks to ebay codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom