• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonGred

As a person who doesn't keep track of its backings it's really nice to all of a sudden get a steam key in your inbox for a game you completely forgot about.

jambo

MSjSOHe.png

I haven't backed much

Mainly just Gazunta's comics. They are the only thing i've actually backed so far that has delivered.

Also Yooka Laylee, a shooter thing called Strafe and I did back one platformer that didn't get funded (mainly as research as I was seeing whether it was worth funding a project I wanted to work on). I kicked some money for Jamie Anderson's Puppet thing Firestorm (as in Gerry Anderson's son) but I was too slack to back Thunderbirds 1965.

I also backed a game kickstarter of a 3D environment artist I used to work with
and make fun of
years ago. Yesterday, I was helping someone clean out their garage (a whole season of Hoarders worth of material) and we came across a bunch of people's portfolios (loooong story), including a demo CD from this 3D mesh artist. Last night I dreamed he used his kickstarter funds to open up a magic shop.

I booked a place in the UK using air-bnb for the first time. Next up, grow a bushy beard, shave my balls and buy a pair of thick rimmed glasses.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I booked a place in the UK using air-bnb for the first time. Next up, grow a bushy beard, shave my balls and buy a pair of thick rimmed glasses.

I used AirBNB as an emergency, 11th-hour contingency to find a place to stay in Sydney in October.

3 months later I'm still at the same place.

industrian

200g bags of M&Ms for $1 at Woolworths is nice.

Checking out reduced sections in supermarkets is a hobby of mine.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
Swinging through Canberra, the birthplace of our glorious Federation that totally still works you guys, across the weekend.

Any recommendations for kindy-age friendly activities? Already pegging the Questacon and the tiny village. How's the Dino museum?

Swinging through Canberra, the birthplace of our glorious Federation that totally still works you guys, across the weekend.

Any recommendations for kindy-age friendly activities? Already pegging the Questacon and the tiny village. How's the Dino museum?

look for the unmarked tomb of the lone Canberra former Ausgaffer, though it's probably been defaced by a swastika.
I can hear the gears in your heads trying to work that one out.
Wasn't Canberra built after the federation?

yes. Typical public servants taking 28 years to get something done.

< Canberra. Or ^ on mobile gaf.

I think you nailed the best ones. The dinosaur museum isn't huge but it's spitting distance from Cockington Greene.

I'm reliably informed the playground at the National Aboretum is the coolest one ever, but outside of that it's just trees. The Zoo is nearby, Meerkats etc... There's also the National Museum, plenty of stuff to touch but it's smaller than it looks.

industrian

Wasn't Canberra made simply to stop people crying over whether Sydney or Melbourne should be your capital city?

Maybe they should make another city to stop people crying over naming conventions for certain foods.

Dimefan3

Canberra gets a bad rap, but I've been here for a few months now and it's a great area. It's meant to get unbelievably cold here around June/July though.

As for suggestions, I'm still meaning to attempt those big-arse milkshakes at a place called Patisez in Manuka, but I hear they're awesome.

OfficerZap

Neo Member
Cheers guys.

I've heard about the milkshakes, also eyeing off Brodburger at the moment. Supposed to be decent.

Will report back, while smelling like bacon.

industrian

My partner and I might drive down to Canberra next weekend.

I'm leaving Australia in two weeks and need to see as much as I can. :/

Fredescu

If you can get the car for a bit, and you like the ocean and lookouts and stuff, can I suggest a scenic route? There's a lot you can see on the way if you take a few more days. Head south along the coast and check out stuff north of Wollongong. If you like lookouts, you could through the National Park and stop at a few along the way. I like Bald Hill at Stanwell Tops, and on the right day you can watch people hang gliding off there.

Head south along Lawrence Hargrave Drive, the Sea Cliff bridge is not majorly spectacular but it's pretty cool. I quite like the beach at Austinmer as a quiet place to take the kids, but it's kinda small, so not mandatory. If you like driving through mountains, you could go back up Bulli Pass and head south on the highway. Again, if you like lookouts, you could take a quick detour to the Mount Keira lookout, then come back down Mount Ousley on the highway. If you don't especially like driving through mountains, just rejoin the highway via Fairy Meadow.

If a Buddhist Temple sounds like something that might interest you, the Nan Tien temple is right on the highway. Can't miss it. Keep heading south and I'd recommend turning off at Kiama and seeing if the blowhole is going off. If the tide and swell is right, it could be. Nothing spectacular but kinda cool and it's a nice little town to have lunch in or something. Jamberoo recreation park is nearby too if that looks like your thing. It's not my thing.

Keep going south. The highway will take you towards Berry and people like that town for some reason, but personally I would turn off at Gerringong for the ocean views there and Gerroa. If you think Berry might be your thing, and their donut van is a bit famous, head through Gerroa anyway and take Beach Road into Berry. Head south *through* Nowra (my birthplace but a totally boring town for a tourist) and head towards the Jervis Bay area.

There is so much to see around here that you'll probably be limited by time, so read up on the area and figure out what you would prefer to see. Legend166 mentioned Hyams Beach upthread, and it's worth seeing. Dumb fact: it's in the Guinness Book of records for having the whitest sand. If you want to keep going past there, you'll have to pay $11 for a two day pass, and by then you should know if you want to see more of it or not.

If you prefer ocean facing beaches, go to Currarong and take a walk along the beach there. You could theoretically walk all the way to Culburra along the beach but it's a long way. From there you can also walk around Beecroft headland. There will be a lot of signs talking about the wreck, but there's not much of it left to see. Mermaids Inlet is pretty cool, especially if there's a bit of a swell. If you want to brave the dirt road in your hire car, you could drive out to the lighthouse at Point Perpendicular. If you do go to Currarong, there is only one shop there with sometimes erratic opening hours, so stock up in Nowra or the Callala IGA.

On the way back, instead of heading towards Gerringong etc, go towards Kangaroo Valley. Check out the lookout on Cambewarra mountain. There is a place a bit past the Kangaroo Valley township that advertises that they make the worlds best pies. This is an embellishment, but they're perfectly edible all the same. There's a bunch of stuff to see in the valley. When you're done, head north back up Barrengary mountain. It's worth stopping at the Fitzroy Falls lookout at the top I think. Again, nothing spectacular, but pretty cool on a nice day.

If you like quaint highlands townships for whatever reason, you could go via Bowral and Mittagong before hitting the highway again. Otherwise just go straight to the highway via Sutton Forest, and then on south to Canberra.

Kinda this: https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...490439180!2m2!1d150.3215085!2d-34.5671208!3e0

love it or leave it.
if you spend 10 minutes in Adelaide, you've seen everything the state has to offer #throwingshadelaide, assuming you don't end up in a barrel

you flew here, we grew here
collect flybys points everytime you shop for locally grown Fresh Fruit and vegetables picked by foreign backbackers

Go to Bunnings, get some timber, build a bridge and get over it
at this time of year, a bridge is safer than driving through floodwaters. stay safe in storm season

hidys

Has anyone voted in Triple J's hottest 100 yet?

I having a really tough time this year. So many good tracks.

By the way if you vote you better write in Bowie's Blackstar or Lazarus.

jambo

Has anyone voted in Triple J's hottest 100 yet?

I having a really tough time this year. So many good tracks.

By the way if you vote you better write in Bowie's Blackstar or Lazarus.

A bunch of people posted their votes earlier this week.

Is there a Hottest 100 thread each year?

Fredescu

There's double meanings in many Wiggles songs. I've been doing the Propeller for years but my dance probably isn't suited to a kids show.

industrian

About bloody time.

Where are you off to?

Fly to Taiwan on the 30th, and I'll be there for six months. My partner's staying in Australia for another six months as she gets paid a good cut of money washing cars in Sutherland. She then plans to study in Scotland so we'll go there together.

That's the current plan anyways. She's legally entitled to stay in Australia until February 2017 and I'm white with a British passport so I can go anywhere without any hassle. :p

We'll probably have one day to visit there unfortunately. My partner can't get a lot of time off work. It's going to be a challenge fitting things in, but I've greatly enjoyed my time in Australia and I've seen a lot. Plus, it's not like they're not going to stop me coming back in or anything...

love it or leave it.
if you spend 10 minutes in Adelaide, you've seen everything the state has to offer #throwingshadelaide, assuming you don't end up in a barrel

you flew here, we grew here
collect flybys points everytime you shop for locally grown Fresh Fruit and vegetables picked by foreign backbackers

Go to Bunnings, get some timber, build a bridge and get over it
at this time of year, a bridge is safer than driving through floodwaters. stay safe in storm season

1) I miss those bumper stickers. I saw about 2-6 of them in every street in Caboolture and Morayfield. Where's the sticker that says "Australia: Love It And Stay" though?

2) Triggered. Got a flashback there to the 4 weeks I spent on a strawberry farm and then seeing how much they sold for compared to how much I got paid.

3) I've never been to Bunnings, but everyone tells me to go there just to get a free coffee. That and that one old crazy Rhodesian guy I randomly met in Morayfield who was lost and needed directions to Bunnings.

I'll stop by the Roselands Post Office to see if they have any.

It's a Seagate drive so I won't cry if they don't have any. That and it'll probably break as soon as I breathe next to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom