• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

So apparently Hulu has had blocking technology for a while, I just never noticed since my Getflix has had no trouble accessing it at all. I'm thinking Netflix will just as easy to region change with only lip service paid to the content providers.

How does it work with Youtube? I've never looked into that.

Shaneus

Depends how successful they are in doing it, I guess we will find out in the coming weeks. If they are successful and there is no way around it (I am doubtful but you never know), I will just cancel my subscription, the AU offering is pretty terrible.
My theory is, is that they'll just block regions using certain DNS ranges/addresses. All they need to do is get another range and update it with something else and it'll last a while longer. If it works how I think it will, it'd be largely invisible to us anyway.

This is wit Getflix, BTW.

That's what I thought too, but never investigated. But if youtubes geolocks are solid, I'd think netflix would be able to too if they put enough effort behind it.

Wait which stuff on Youtube is geoblocked? I remember using some Chrome extension ages ago to get around geoblocked clips in the past (mainly Comedy Central stuff)

On an unrelated note I'm going to see Hateful Eight in 70mm tomorrow, to say I'm pumped is an understatement! Has anyone seen it in 70mm yet (or planning to)?

No 70mm here but I will get to see it at least next week.

On an unrelated note I'm going to see Hateful Eight in 70mm tomorrow, to say I'm pumped is an understatement! Has anyone seen it in 70mm yet (or planning to)?

Seems to be only playing in Sydney.

So I would if I could but since I can't, I shant.

well, will just have to wait till next week. consoling myself with a third screening of TFA this afternoon. oh wait.

Party time.

“That’s the strange thing. We seem to have built a world that gives you instant access to whatever information you need - but often that information is grief. You can now become thoroughly upset at your own convenience. And so we cry for people we haven’t met and never would meet - but we cry because despite that distance they were able to impart something to us. They affected us and made our lives better from the distance. They radiated like the sun, and now the sun is gone. That’s just the way the world works now. We traded instant-grief for faster pizza delivery. Was it worth it? Yes. I love pizza. It still sucks, though.”

:(

Quasar

Wait which stuff on Youtube is geoblocked? I remember using some Chrome extension ages ago to get around geoblocked clips in the past (mainly Comedy Central stuff)

I think there's stuff from various US networks. The oddest thing I ever saw was Funimation, the US anime distributor, geolocks their trailers.

senahorse

My theory is, is that they'll just block regions using certain DNS ranges/addresses. All they need to do is get another range and update it with something else and it'll last a while longer. If it works how I think it will, it'd be largely invisible to us anyway.

This is wit Getflix, BTW.

Unless they get serious with account, credit card based restrictions, it will be a failure, but as long as it keeps the content providers happy who cares :)

Also, just offer (I am not naïve enough to think it's this easy) me a $30/month all region you can eat subscription and I will pay it, and I am sure many others would too.

I think there's stuff from various US networks. The oddest thing I ever saw was Funimation, the US anime distributor, geolocks their trailers.

As I already tunnel all my traffic through a VPN I at times get situations where I have to use hola to unblock Australian content haha

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I eat Indian once a week now. Adam showed me the light.

He wanted to take me to an indian place but I'm far too stubborn. I did eat a fair bit of his naan at the taste of tassie though.

Oh that's right, I said I'd eat indian with him if he would drink alcohol. He didn't so I didn't.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Indian food is basically British food at this point so I'm incredibly surprised when I meet someone who hasn't tried it or doesn't like it.

Jintor

indian cuisine does some strange things to lamb imho, but to be honest, i don't think i've had good indian food yet because i'm in flipping japan

Roulette

Just eat butter chicken. It's like a nice intro to Indian, very safe.

Then eat beef vindaloo. And nothing else. Ever again. There is no need.

Question for Melbourne people: I need to get from the airport to Moonee Ponds. Better off taking a skybus into the city and making my way from there, or taking the 478 bus? I'll have a suitcase and a toddler to drag along. I need to get to Treasury Gardens from Moonee Ponds later as well.

Two great tastes that taste great together. You deserve each other.

Aw thanks mr tone

indian cuisine does some strange things to lamb imho, but to be honest, i don't think i've had good indian food yet because i'm in flipping japan

Wait why are you in japan

BAKA GAIJIN GO HOME

Lucian ate a bit of my butter chicken on nye, said the sauce didn't do anything for her. It was pretty bland even by butter chicken standards tho, so one day I hope to somehow con her into trying some at one of the better restaurants in hobes.

Speaking of butter chicken, yet to find a decent place in Melb that does real butter chicken. Only one came close was Indian Tukka on Victoria Parade.

Then eat beef vindaloo. And nothing else. Ever again. There is no need.

Question for Melbourne people: I need to get from the airport to Moonee Ponds. Better off taking a skybus into the city and making my way from there, or taking the 478 bus? I'll have a suitcase and a toddler to drag along. I need to get to Treasury Gardens from Moonee Ponds later as well.

Moonee Ponds is like 10-15 minutes from the airport, cab/uber will be faster.

Skybus + local train/tram/bus would take you an hour.

Lucian Cat

Lucian ate a bit of my butter chicken on nye, said the sauce didn't do anything for her. It was pretty bland even by butter chicken standards tho, so one day I hope to somehow con her into trying some at one of the better restaurants in hobes.

You wouldn't even eat the fudge I bought you coz it had alcohol in it. GOOD LUCK

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I never had the time to get Indian food in Japan. But the best Indian food I've ever had was from an Indian/Nepalese restaurant in Ansan, Korea.

Fun story: I was on TV in Korea because one of their morning TV shows was doing a special in the south-east Asian ghetto part of my city where the restaurant was. A camera crew was in the restaurant getting B-roll footage when my friend and I walked in. They then asked us if they could interview us and film us while eating. It was fun hearing my students say "Stephen teacher, I saw you on TV!"

I wonder if they put that on YouTube, back in 2010 the TV channel had their own nightmare of a streaming service. Trying to find it was painful.

Lucian Cat

So Cloverfield 2 is suddenly a thing? That's coming out in March? This week has given me some kind of emotional whiplash.

I too am mindblown. Should really get around to watching 1 again one day. Last time I saw it was at yours and I'm pretty sure you fast forwarded through a lot of it lol.

Edit: Also you should send me Shaun's number so I can thank him for the beers.

senahorse

OfficerZap

Neo Member
If you're eating lamb anything, you're doing it wrong.

Should be beef, chicken, or goat. Lamb is too lean and flat tasting to bring enough fight to a balanced spice mix.

Butter chicken is a great intro once it's not from a jar (too sweet, too much tomato).

A good beef korma is a nice Thai/Indian style fusion.

When you're ready for it, goat vindaloo is GOAT curry. Enough gamey punch to balance the flavour. Just need one that doesn't sacrifice depth simply for rocket fuel heat.

i kinda agree tbh. lamb should not be in curries.

Bu933Q0.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom