• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

senahorse

Seriously though, those two Wiggles songs I linked are great. New Wiggles lineup > Old Wiggles lineup. Paul Paddick was always the best entertainer anyway and he's still there.

It seemed pretty catchy, I closed them down before someone at work thought I was weird
er

So the Spirit of Tasmania (a big fucking ship) was blown off it's moorings and ran aground this morning. The poor staff will be double timing the sister ship to cover the trips while SoT is repaired.

6ddb9c4d2d6377407978be91d4a64318

So these things go in threes right? Opera house, SoT...what's the third one for the day?

N0VAM0D

temple at the gong is rad. amazing vegetarian food. pretty decent serenity.

there's a hidden minor chinese temple down in... uh... glebe I think? Very small.

Nan Tien is looooovely. I stayed there once for a school trip, and had such a great time.

Bishop89

So the Spirit of Tasmania (a big fucking ship) was blown off it's moorings and ran aground this morning. The poor staff will be double timing the sister ship to cover the trips while SoT is repaired.

6ddb9c4d2d6377407978be91d4a64318

So these things go in threes right? Opera house, SoT...what's the third one for the day?

what happened at the opera house

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
So looks like I'll be coming to Melbs in January, April and May at the very least this year. Should probably just move there at this rate. They need nurses there, right?

Oh and Brisvegas in April

Kritz

Banned
I suspect I'll be in melb a few days in late feb

can't pass up an opportunity to get intoxicated in front of the extended family who all think I'm a psychopath

N0VAM0D

Man, Alan Rickman too? I can't believe it. Straight outta nowhere, too! I've been thinking about a lot of the celebrity deaths I'll see in my lifetime, and it's sort of shocking. Fuck.

I'm going there on Saturday.

Oooh, I hope you have a great time!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Looks like Netflix is going to start blocking those who are using a VPN service. Wonder how their subscriber numbers will change over the following months.

senahorse

Depends how successful they are in doing it, I guess we will find out in the coming weeks. If they are successful and there is no way around it (I am doubtful but you never know), I will just cancel my subscription, the AU offering is pretty terrible.

Looks like Netflix is going to start blocking those who are using a VPN service. Wonder how their subscriber numbers will change over the following months.

I really think this is just Netflix paying lip service to the big studios, they would realise if they really cracked down on it they would lose a shitload of subscibers.

On an unrelated note I'm going to see Hateful Eight in 70mm tomorrow, to say I'm pumped is an understatement! Has anyone seen it in 70mm yet (or planning to)?

I have Getflix and honestly barely use it. My router is all set up and stuff but I still don't bother. I don't anticipate cancelling my service unless the majoeiry stuff I want to watch being on Netflix AU dwindles.

I don't know if these were on Triple J or necessarily from 2015, but of the songs on high rotation in my household in 2015, these are my favourites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vtz7uXQXYY (skip to 1:30 to hear the proper song I guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqkm0CtY4iI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sccvGzPsYPM
Those aren't even the best songs in their discography. How could you forget The Full Moon Melody?

https://youtu.be/K980szJvuYo

Or maybe I like that one because Emma's looking good on that swing... <¬<

Quasar

Depends how successful they are in doing it, I guess we will find out in the coming weeks. If they are successful and there is no way around it (I am doubtful but you never know), I will just cancel my subscription, the AU offering is pretty terrible.

Well. This might just be the impetus I need to cancel. I have a US account that I continue to use in Australia. Though I use it so sporadically its hardly worth keeping it sometimes. Though other family members do.

senahorse

Unless they change their account system so that country of origin/credit card payment determines what region you stay with (this even has ways around it) I don't see how they can do it. Sure they can block a VPN or DNS/Proxy service's IP, which the provider will just change and it works again, besides there are plenty of legitimate customers using VPN's for just basic privacy regions which this would also interfere with. I really think this is just Netflix taking a public stance against this issue to show the content providers they are trying to do something.

Fredescu

How could you forget The Full Moon Melody?

I like that they do a lot of genres, so I appreciate the song, but it doesn't really do anything for me personally. I think my third favourite might be Mumbles the Monster, but it's not properly on Youtube and the Ready, Steady, Wiggles episodes containing it have expired on iView.

Given they recently estimated 30 million users access Netflix via a proxy or VPN service (20+ million from China alone), it's no surprise they've been pressured by rights holders to crack down.

I often have trouble finding something to watch from the US catalogue, so if I'm forced to switch back to the Australian catalogue, I don't think a subscription will be worth it.

It'll be interesting to see what the DNS/VPN services come up with to circumvent it. I'm sure there will be a nice little cat and mouse game going on for a while which will be fun to watch.

Quasar

It'll be interesting to see what the DNS/VPN services come up with to circumvent it. I'm sure there will be a nice little cat and mouse game going on for a while which will be fun to watch.

Yeah. Will be a rough time for those guys if they are unable to given how much netflix proxying is pushed. Certainly would make my lifetime getflix account less useful. Though I'd still use it for its vpn.

senahorse

Yeah. Will be a rough time for those guys if they are unable to given how much netflix proxying is pushed. Certainly would make my lifetime getflix account less useful. Though I'd still use it for its vpn.

I can just see them having a pool of IP's that they will cycle through after detecting a block, it will take a lot of work on Netflix's part to keep up with this, as Cods said it really is a cat and mouse game. Blocking VPN access is a different thing again, which I seriously doubt they would block (but again easily fixed) and there is no way they can tell where you're coming from when using a VPN. They could tie authentication in with region content but then that would mean if you travel overseas you would have access to content you shouldn't have access to.

I am really scratching my head as to what they can feasibly do, I think they might block some proxy/dns providers which will cause short term disruption so they can say "look Fox/Sony/Universal etc, we are doing something".

Quasar

I can just see them having a pool of IP's that they will cycle through after detecting a block, it will take a lot of work on Netflix's part to keep up with this, as Cods said it really is a cat and mouse game. Blocking VPN access is a different thing again, which I seriously doubt they would block (but again easily fixed) and there is no way they can tell where you're coming from when using a VPN. They could tie authentication in with region content but then that would mean if you travel overseas you would have access to content you shouldn't have access to.

I am really scratching my head as to what they can feasibly do, I think they might block some proxy/dns providers which will cause short term disruption so they can say l"ook Fox/Sony/Universal etc, we are doing something".

If it was me I'd just link the credit card nationality to whats accessible. That would reduce it a lot, and then you're not having to fight a war with smart dns providers.

senahorse

If it was me I'd just link the credit card nationality to whats accessible. That would reduce it a lot, and then you're not having to fight a war with smart dns providers.

It's an easier way to do it, sure but then there is the issue (albeit maybe less of one) that means your US account when holidaying is playing that content in other countries, the lesser of two evils no doubt. Also there are ways of getting U.S. bank accounts. But I agree it's more foolproof than the current solution.

r1chard

Those services have been playing cat-and-mouse for a long time now, this isn't anything particularly new AFAICT.

Also, damn. Rickman too :-(

hamchan

So apparently Hulu has had blocking technology for a while, I just never noticed since my Getflix has had no trouble accessing it at all. I'm thinking Netflix will just as easy to region change with only lip service paid to the content providers.

After all, Netflix is still getting their money from geo-hopping customers that they are increasingly using on producing their own original content, reducing their own dependency on outside copyright holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom