• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week in Neogaf.com.au

-my taste buds are better than your taste buds. suck it, loser taste buds.
-Death!
-Regret
-the ADES epidemic
-Notflix

TFA the third time- still loved it though ready for Hateful 8 as a palate cleanser.

Kinda surprised at how many Oscar Nominations Fury Road received (10 inc Best Picture)
Australian media is going to be marginally more insufferable than usual up to the award ceremony.

Rezbit

usually some mix of the two north hobart ones (annapurwhatever and taj palace), occasionally any of the smaller ones in hobart cbd (ganges / little india / ... some other place)

mostly taj cuz I can't get enough of the babies

Mother India on liz steet is my regular.

You need to check out Dawat in Moonah. The restaurant doesn't look like much, but they have the best butter chicken I've had. The onion bhaji are good too.

Quasar

Kinda surprised at how many Oscar Nominations Fury Road received (10 inc Best Picture)
Australian media is going to be marginally more insufferable than usual up to the award ceremony.

Must say I'm already annoyed by all the TFA not getting nominated for best picture crap. But yeah...all I expect out of scifi films is technical nominations. So seeing the Fury Road and Martian nominations has been a surprise. will admit I'm more annoyed by the Ex-machina snubbing. Though that's expected given its niche-ness.

N0VAM0D

Someone come play Bloodborne with me, all my friends are being lame and are enjoying the outdoors

pls

Also, Happy Birthday Holy!?

N0VAM0D

Wait guys

Are you supposed to have weetbix with cold milk or hot milk

I always do it hot, with heaps of sugar, and maybe some banana

shhhh

also guys, my Japan trip is coming up so quick, and I've barely got an itinerary! I'm gonna be there from the 10th of May until the 22nd of June, so around 8 weeks or something. What do I do! I don't wanna jump around to heaps of places, because I wanna have a lot of time to soak it all in. I've got most of what I wanna do in Tokyo sorted, but I don't know how long I should stay in certain places. pls help :(

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
THANKS THANKS AND THANKS

Edit: just be cruisey, get to japan, do shit, have a japan rail pass and travel on when you get bored!

N0VAM0D

THANKS THANKS AND THANKS

Edit: just be cruisey, get to japan, do shit, have a japan rail pass and travel on when you get bored!

I'm just scared of booking places, and how much to bring and stuff ahhhhh

never travelled alone, and I'm only gonna be like 21 when I go so it's SCARY so SCARY

I hate having a plan for things, but I think I'm gonna have to plan this one out at least a little bit! Luckily my Japanese is good-ish so it shouldn't be too hard to get around and be spontaneous!

KrisB

I always do it hot, with heaps of sugar, and maybe some banana

shhhh

also guys, my Japan trip is coming up so quick, and I've barely got an itinerary! I'm gonna be there from the 10th of May until the 22nd of June, so around 8 weeks or something. What do I do! I don't wanna jump around to heaps of places, because I wanna have a lot of time to soak it all in. I've got most of what I wanna do in Tokyo sorted, but I don't know how long I should stay in certain places. pls help :(

Woah I wish I went for that long. I was there for 12 days in December last year. Spent a few days in different cities and districts.
Considering how long you're staying I would recommend organising a Rail Pass if you havent already.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Jintor

i've completely forgotten how and where to look for non retail jobs

/edit i've got to stop adding the suffix -ass to unrelated things

Jintor

i mined seek already

funnily enough fairfax jobs don't turn up on there. on the other hand apparently fairfax doesn't have any need for writers right now

legal, media, maybe a bit of foreign affairs.

despite me being demonstrably terrible at landing jobs (this one I'm starting in two weeks is quite some time since my last major full time job). here's my advice.

media (though not creative stuff, but if you have a legal background...)
http://www.grapevinejobs.com.au/jobseeker/jobseeker_jobs.asp
https://www.theloop.com.au/jobs

and then these, but filter by profession. good to have both. when you find a search that has the types of jobs you like, bookmark it so you can check for new ones quickly
seek.com.au
careerone.com.au

also really good are:
indeed.com.au
and despite me hating it:
linkedin

videogame jobs specifically for anyone else interested
AU only: tsumea.com
https://orcahq.com/jobs (though can filter by country easily enough)
gamedevmap.

http://www.gamedevmap.com/

Don't rule out NZ. Near enough is good enough.

Having been in dev side of games and seeing how anyone with a business or law degree earns a fucking fortune compared to artists and designers, i say don't rule it out. They're not doing stuff from their degree, but those degrees open doors that you wouldn't expect them to. licensing, outsourcing management.

if all else fails, get an MBA, Project Management qualification or even just Agile certification (not a massive undertaking but will cost a bit, or Prince2 instead if you want government jobs).

lastly, look at the above sites at least a few times a week, new positions are popping up all the time.

good luck, dick-ass (is that how it's done?)

Jintor

Thanks mang. I really appreciate it.

Oddly enough my current hoop is that I'm not actually going to be back in Australia for like 6 months so I don't really know quite how to go about this... probably just do groundwork for now and keep searches current

Thanks mang. I really appreciate it.

Oddly enough my current hoop is that I'm not actually going to be back in Australia for like 6 months so I don't really know quite how to go about this... probably just do groundwork for now and keep searches current

when you're about 3 months away from coming back, start applying, add the cover letter saying you're return at the end of your contract or whatever, use an australian address and mention you're legally entitled to work in australia.

until then, its...

tumblr_o11i92kxHu1usnr9to1_540.gif

r1chard

OK, it's Old Fashioned round 2 tonight. Don't have the citrus or cherry but I do have some soda water. Will try some watered down. Probably won't wake up with that strong need for medication, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom