• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Do you want me to write up one for the 27th too? Lol.

We can do something then. Just getting this one organised. Would probably be you, me and tiddums unless others want in as well.

Edit: Noooooooo

Darren870

Can probably do something after work on the 27th.

If you let me know where you guys are on the 26th I might come. Depends on the tennis.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is it worth trying to sell a monitor on GAF or will it get lost in a sea of American/European posts?

Cerity

Depends if people are willing to pay the postage costs, for the size of a monitor you'd probably be looking at around 100-150 AUD to the main countries.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cool. I'll just copy paste the post I made on OCAU.

Exactly this monitor here: https://www.asus.com/au/Monitors/VX24AH/

Selling my Asus VX24AH, a 24" IPS 2560x1440 60Hz monitor.

Here's the important parts: purchased from SCORPTEC on 30/07/2015 for $468.18, the monitor displayed weird flickering issues with certain patterns. I organised an Asus maintenance pick up, and they replaced the display with new parts. Seems like it was an issue with the display itself, so the replacement fixed the flickering 100%.

Unfortunately the returned model wasn't without problems of its own (seriously I'm the worst luck with monitors). None of which as significant as the flickering (which was outright broken), but I couldn't rightly sell it off without accurately advertising the quality.

So, the VX24AH in question has three issues:
1) One stuck pixel near the top centre of the screen (shows up most clearly on black/dark backgrounds
2) One hot backlight point at the bottom centre (appears as a white glow, showing up most obviously on white backgrounds)
3) Small bit of dust or dirt or something centre right trapped behind the screen (again most obvious on white/light backgrounds)

Why haven't I had this stuff fixed? Because these issues haven't bothered me all that much to be honest, and because I'm lazy. Nabbed a new job, moving all over the place, and organising another courier pick up from ASUS was just way too incovenient.

Why sell? Because I'd like a G-Sync IPS and this isn't it. Honestly I really like this monitor; it's not large, but I like that because it makes up for it with pixel density. 24" 1440p is a tight pixel grouping, which results in a very sharp image quality. The actual image quality itself is also really goo; bright and colourful. I paid $468 for this. PC Case Gear have it these days for $399. Issues aside the quality is mint.

I'd like to sell it for at least $200. I don't think the issues are so significant as to detract the price any lower for what is otherwise a significant monitor.

I have the original box and everything. Postage is possible but I'd much, much prefer pick-up. I'm based in Rosanna, work in Greensborough (for now). Because of the aforementioned issues I also welcome anybody who'd like to see the display in person before buying to let me know and I can arrange a look with it lit up.

Just let me know what you want and I'll work around that!

Pictures below of each issue, best I could take. Want more, just ask.

19guce.jpg

2ymug9.jpg

3aeu12.jpg

Fusebox

Banned
Oh shit that's against OCAU rules man, you're lucky I'm only a mod of their musical instruments forum or I'd have to take drastic action. > <

Stackboy

I got myself willingly banned from OCAU, got pretty tired of the vibe.

Oh yeah I ended up voting in the hottest 100 too. It will be on in the background at the pool party I'm attending, but I don't care about it as much as I use to. I'm old man, too much damn electronic pop for my liking.

Wolf Alice - Your Loves Whore
Violent Soho - Like Soda
Bad//Dreems - Hiding To Nothing
Tuka - Big Jet Plane {triple j Like A Version}
Chemical Brothers, The - Go {Ft. Q-Tip}
Eagles Of Death Metal - Complexity
Faith No More Sunny - Side Up
Faith No More - Superhero
Battles - FF Bada
Tame Impala - 'Cause I'm A Man

EatChildren

I don't think I've even read a thread outside of the trading forum. My post count reads as zero.

Shaneus

I genuinely wonder when my last post on the OCAU forums was.

edit: 2011 apparently
I only ever go there looking for cheap PC gear. Got my last video card (R9 280X) for fairly cheap via the sales threads there. Second-hand hardware is the best via that forum.

Not much else though, from what I can gather.

jambo

Looks like the bulk of my OCAU posts are in the buy/sell areas haha.

A few random ones in music threads from 6 years ago. Going further back I apparently posted in the iPhone and iPad threads. Crazy how much I've gone off Apple stuff.

How will they know the difference between someone using a VPN to appear as thought they live in a different region and those using a VPN in their own country for privacy reasons? i.e. Can they tell the difference between someone in Australia is using a US VPN server and a US resident going through the same US VPN Server?

Because otherwise they're going to exclude more that just geo-dodging chicanery and are just pissing off legitimate customers.

Canberra Times:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/digital-life/hometech/netflix-starts-blocking-australian-customers-from-us-catalogue-20160121-gman3y.html

Canberrans get thyselves to my friend's new boardgame cafe.

Cool, that part of the city was becoming pretty run down and with the Shopping centre moving further away less trafficked. Apart from the Sydney and Melbourne buildings, Bailey's Arcade is one of the oldest buildings in Civic.

Rizzi

I require a pair of headphones that aren't going to cripple my ears/smush my glasses in to my face when I wear them for less than $100.
Whatcha recommend?

senahorse

How will they know the difference between someone using a VPN to appear as thought they live in a different region and those using a VPN in their own country for privacy reasons? i.e. Can they tell the difference between someone in Australia is using a US VPN server and a US resident going through the same US VPN Server?

Because otherwise they're going to exclude more that just geo-dodging chicanery and are just pissing off legitimate customers.

By IP they won't but not sure how their client works and what gets sent in those packets, there could be something in the user agent string for instance. Would be interesting to do a tcp dump of the traffic and have a look, that is, if it's not all encrypted.

Whatever they do though there will most likely be a quick workaround, I wouldn't be worried about it.

By IP they won't but not sure how their client works and what gets sent in those packets, there could be something in the user agent string for instance. Would be interesting to do a tcp dump of the traffic and have a look, that is, if it's not all encrypted.

Whatever they do though there will most likely be a quick workaround, I wouldn't be worried about it.
It doesn't affect me in any way; I don't use Netflix. I was just curious if, in this climate where people are conscious of their traffic getting logged, that Netflix could be restricting a larger segment of their customer base than they expected.

I do appreciate the response :)

Ah they're dragging more DNS info out of you, this is good news as it should mean DNS services improve to avoid DNS leaks! I noticed Getflix leaks like a sieve.

Cerity

Got my n3dsxl from cashies today, 150 odd pictures and videos of some random kids on the sd card still lol.

I only ever go there looking for cheap PC gear. Got my last video card (R9 280X) for fairly cheap via the sales threads there. Second-hand hardware is the best via that forum.

Not much else though, from what I can gather.

Pretty much, there's maybe 20-30 or so people keeping the 'active' sections alive but the buy/sell/trade sections get the most action.

senahorse

Ah they're dragging more DNS info out of you, this is good news as it should mean DNS services improve to avoid DNS leaks! I noticed Getflix leaks like a sieve.

The ultimate dream from all this, is a spectacular failure and we (content owners) start getting more serious about global offerings for services. No doubt very naïve on my part but even more dialogue on this issue is something.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Got my n3dsxl from cashies today, 150 odd pictures and videos of some random kids on the sd card still lol.

There is a very good chance that the PSP I traded into a Korean pawn shop in 2010 had photos of my dick on the memory stick.

What can I say. I was drunk, bored, and needed to justify purchasing the camera add-on.

EatChildren

Been awhile since I ordered, but what's PCCG's express post times like? eParcel or Startrack? I assume if I order tonight I can expect it Monday.

The ultimate dream from all this, is a spectacular failure and we (content owners) start getting more serious about global offerings for services. No doubt very naïve on my part but even more dialogue on this issue is something.

Yeah even Netflix CEO is pushing this super hardcore right now. Talking about eradicating the need for 'hacking to pay' situation within 5-10 years. Netflix want it, other media providers don't though as it means their extinction lol

Rizzi

Been awhile since I ordered, but what's PCCG's express post times like? eParcel or Startrack? I assume if I order tonight I can expect it Monday.

Last time I ordered from them it was reasonably quick. They used eParcel though.
Ordered on a Thursday and it showed up on a Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom