• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn you guys and your fast internet!

I looked at the roll out map... First half 2016, HFC. How are speeds of people with HFC upgrades at the moment?

jambo

100/40 is kinda useless at the moment.

Pretty much the only things that ever maxed it out for us was Steam and Internode mirrors.

50/20 is still crazy good.

Shaneus

Well that's one way to see who's got me on ignore.
I thought it was just in context of getting nominated, not the Eurovision main thing! I swear!

100/40 is kinda useless at the moment.

Pretty much the only things that ever maxed it out for us was Steam and Internode mirrors.

50/20 is still crazy good.
I really, really miss my 100/8 (I think) HFC connection. Thankfully it's only temporary (hopefully) that I'm on ADSL2, but not being able to do multiple things at once REALLY blows chunks.

Damn you guys and your fast internet!

I looked at the roll out map... First half 2016, HFC. How are speeds of people with HFC upgrades at the moment?

you mean people with new installs right ? iv had mine for quite a few years now , at the most iv seen it get to 120 down and 2 up currently gets about 110 down and 2 up still not docis 3.1 , new installs should get around 100 or so pending on how how they have priced there tiering .....

what im more suprised about is no ones batted an eye lid about Ferrier Hodgson flogging off the DSE customer data bases
http://www.crn.com.au/News/416417,dick-smith-receivers-are-flogging-off-customer-database.aspx

Dryk

you mean people with new installs right ? iv had mine for quite a few years now , at the most iv seen it get to 120 down and 2 up currently gets about 110 down and 2 up still not docis 3.1 , new installs should get around 100 or so pending on how how they have priced there tiering .....
Cable at my house is supposed to be 100 down but it usually tests at 110 give or take

Cable at my house is supposed to be 100 down but it usually tests at 110 give or take
Same here on Telstra cable (EuroDOCSIS 3.0). PSN is able to max that bandwidth recently, which is nice.

I thought the NBN HFC stuff was a still a ways away. It's DOCSIS 3.1 so should be better, although I'm not sure how it'll go with contention, seeing as there'll no doubt be a lot more subscribers. My area is marked for HFC but if subscriber numbers increase exponentially (as you'd expect), I wonder if my internet will actually end up being slower.

they commenced trials in red cliff a wili ago that were apparently a success , 98 down think it was ?

they keep floating the idea of 3.1 but i think what they are testing is just 3.0 ? and 3.1 has only just passed the qoute un qoute feasibility stage in the US ..................

and yea iv noticed that PSN seems to be working better but when i do sonys crappy test it still says like 20 or 30 , some times 70 if we are after midnight....

jambo

PSN and XBLive are still pretty average for us on NBN.

And both devices are hooked in via ethernet to the router.

Steam on the other hand... wow.

they commenced trials in red cliff a wili ago that were apparently a success , 98 down think it was ?
How is that a success? It's slower than my current EuroDOCSIS 3.0 cable internet, which it will be replacing lol.

PSN and XBLive are still pretty average for us on NBN.

And both devices are hooked in via ethernet to the router.

Steam on the other hand... wow.
I get 13MB/s sustained on PSN, which is basically max for me (110Mbps).

Edit: I have the PS4 in a DMZ, FWIW.

that's what i would like to konw( NBN cos words not mine) i would be more worried about if they install a ton of HFC connections in one place with out allotting more back haul eg ,

the trial was commenced were no HFC internet connections were previously available think the upload was a fair bit higher then what you would normally get

still this is 3.0 we are talking about , 3.1 aside from laying more cable alot of it is back end changes.

jambo

I get 13MB/s sustained on PSN, which is basically max for me (110Mbps).

Edit: I have the PS4 in a DMZ, FWIW.

That might be what it is.

My gaming PC is always the DMZ and I've never tried putting it as one of the consoles.

Good to hear they can go that quick.

One weird glitch I did notice about PSN is that sometimes pausing and resuming downloads can make them speed right back up again.

Not sure if that's something on our end or Sony's end though.

That might be what it is.

My gaming PC is always the DMZ and I've never tried putting it as one of the consoles.

Good to hear they can go that quick.

One weird glitch I did notice about PSN is that sometimes pausing and resuming downloads can make them speed right back up again.

Not sure if that's something on our end or Sony's end though.
Sony's end, basically connects to the server with the least amount of load when you do that.

Create your PSN account in another region and use gift cards bought off amazon or wherever to top up the account balance. Not sure if it is worth it now that the US / AUD conversion is so shit but was great when they were at parity.

You also run the risk that any local games you buy here that have DLC codes in the case won't redeem on your US account.

I have 2 PSN accounts, one AU and one US, as long as your PS4 is the primary console for both accounts you can play games under which ever one you want to make your primary account for trophies and multiplayer.

Fairly new to PS4, is there any way to get around the rather expensive prices of our PS store?

Wait for a sale and take advantage of the next 20% off PSN cards deal. Our dollar has gone to shit but you can sometimes still get better prices on US PSN (Amazon sell US PSN credit).

Retail at launch are generally cheaper than the game will be for 6 months too (Division is $68 next week).

Quasar

Wait for a sale and take advantage of the next 20% off PSN cards deal. Our dollar has gone to shit but you can sometimes still get better prices on US PSN (Amazon sell US PSN credit).

Have to admit lately I've found local prices close enough due to the currency crash. Of course I generally buy smaller titles and not 60$ ones.

Dmax3901

I use my US psn account for digital stuff, even with sales up to 30% off, AU prices are more expensive that US prices.

With the current AUD I'd rather buy local physical at $59-$69 though.

How does that work? I don't want to make a new account cause of trophies etc.

How does that work? I don't want to make a new account cause of trophies etc.

you can buy them with your US account and play the game on your AU account which will store the trophies and other crap, its when you exceed the amount of times downloaded that there is a problem

Dmax3901

you can buy them with your US account and play the game on your AU account which will store the trophies and other crap, its when you exceed the amount of times downloaded that there is a problem

Ok but how do I actually do that. Do I have to create a second account on the US website? Do I need to use a VPN? How do I ensure that I can play the the game on my AU account?

so wait gamesupply removed there fees and are now competing with other sites ?

dishwasher covered what you have to do to set up a US acc pretty well

fucking internet!
I moved into a new at the start of Feb and ordered Fibre internet (Virgin Media). It took them weeks of mucking about with getting written permissions from my landlords since there was no previous virgin fibre before they gave me an install date. (in the UK, there's basically Virgin or BT/BT reseller for Fibre). 4 days before the install, I got a voice mail saying something along the lines of "oops, soz m8, we CBF installing fibre at your place, try someone else. We've cancelled your order."

When I ordered it I did all the address checks and they had no issue with my premises, but now when I do the same there's no fibre available at my premises." There's a cabinet somewhere in the village (They use fibre to the node, like current NBN yet still offer higher speeds).

So now I'm back to DSL with no guarantee I'll have a better speed than I had back in Brisbane on Internode.

To quote the movie,Stripes. "Son of Bitch. Shit."

/rant

How was your day? Back to Fallout 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom