• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

We got businesses with fibre now and TV episodes that air hours after the USA. Yet we wait weeks, even months, for movies. AWFUL. Hopefully I don't get the whole movie spoiled before it even premieres here.

Well thats mostly just kids films as they get held for school holidays. Which makes sense.

We got businesses with fibre now and TV episodes that air hours after the USA. Yet we wait weeks, even months, for movies. AWFUL. Hopefully I don't get the whole movie spoiled before it even premieres here.

If Netflix continues to grow we should see more and more movies going day one VOD within a decade hopefully.

I'm more than happy to support my local cinema if they weren't so terrible at making it worthwhile. Late movie with a shoddy screen and audio kills the hype train to the point where I wait for it to hit $1 rental/Netflix.

Wow @ Netflix putting the theatrical cut of Blade Runner up. All these choices of Blade Runner and they put the worst one.
I think I actually prefer the theatrical cut. I think Ridley's cut strips away too much of the mystery; I prefer things a little more nebulous. I understand that I'm the minority on that one though :)

Blade Runner has a weird history. There was originally a cut, with no narration but the producers or studio thought it didn't work so they got a bored disinterested Harrison Ford (or is that a tautology) to record some narration for a slightly different edit and that's what was released into cinemas. Thing is, a lot of people though the bored narration actually worked.

Then we got a dvd version that non anamorphic and then finally he bluray and the most recent cut.

Either way, eh.

I've only seen the film twice, once at the cinema on its original release and then again when the blu Ray came out. It's a masterpiece of visuals and features probably the greatest practical effects ever, but I still find the story makes it quite a chore to watch.

Watch what's on Netflix, it's still a very very good and true version of Blade Runner.

Quasar

Not sure if there are any other Aussie AppleTV4 owners here, but I just noticed that the ABC iView app just got added. Even has something called a high bandwidth stream, though to me it still looks like SD.

dity

I kinda just want to get an Apple TV 4 for the novelty of it. I like the UI and stuff but don't have much use for it since I have devices that do all the things it does already - bar for iTunes in-home music streaming.

I'm honestly thinking of taking the Chromecast out of the Xbox One and putting an Apple TV into it instead for when I do want in-home streaming to my speaker setup.

Quasar

I kinda just want to get an Apple TV 4 for the novelty of it. I like the UI and stuff but don't have much use for it since I have devices that do all the things it does already - bar for iTunes in-home music streaming.

I'm honestly thinking of taking the Chromecast out of the Xbox One and putting an Apple TV into it instead for when I do want in-home streaming to my speaker setup.

Its interesting, though I could manage just as easily with a chromecast, especially given certain apps just aren't going to appear on it.

For catchup now its just missing the 9 app, and for local streaming its just Presto plus I guess things like Telstras own. For music streaming it is of course lacking Spotify and Google Music (my music service).

Sadly as happy I am with the androidTV device I've played with (universal search being better - its actually universal) it has this issue of app exclusives, primarily to Sony TVs. If it wasn't for that I think I would have bought a Nvidia ShieldTV instead.

dity

Its interesting, though I could manage just as easily with a chromecast, especially given certain apps just aren't going to appear on it.

For catchup now its just missing the 9 app, and for local streaming its just Presto plus I guess things like Telstras own. For music streaming it is of course lacking Spotify and Google Music (my music service).

Sadly as happy I am with the androidTV device I've played with (universal search being better - its actually universal) it has this issue of app exclusives, primarily to Sony TVs. If it wasn't for that I think I would have bought a Nvidia ShieldTV instead.

I had an Android TV device before. Imported a Nexus Player. T'was alright, but I wanted to watch TV through it too in the off-chance I do and didn't want to set up a TV server thingomabob with a HDHomeRun, so the Xbox's TV tuner won it out for me. Plus it has Hulu without sideloading, SBS on Demand, Youtube, and Plex. Just need an Apple TV for my music lol.

Blade Runner has a weird history. There was originally a cut, with no narration but the producers or studio thought it didn't work so they got a bored disinterested Harrison Ford (or is that a tautology) to record some narration for a slightly different edit and that's what was released into cinemas. Thing is, a lot of people though the bored narration actually worked.

Then we got a dvd version that non anamorphic and then finally he bluray and the most recent cut.

Either way, eh.

I've only seen the film twice, once at the cinema on its original release and then again when the blu Ray came out. It's a masterpiece of visuals and features probably the greatest practical effects ever, but I still find the story makes it quite a chore to watch.

Watch what's on Netflix, it's still a very very good and true version of Blade Runner.
I've only seen the director's cut. Is that the right one?
It was very different to the book anyway.

Quasar

I had an Android TV device before. Imported a Nexus Player. T'was alright, but I wanted to watch TV through it too in the off-chance I do and didn't want to set up a TV server thingomabob with a HDHomeRun, so the Xbox's TV tuner won it out for me. Plus it has Hulu without sideloading, SBS on Demand, Youtube, and Plex. Just need an Apple TV for my music lol.

A nexus is what I have. I mostly like it, its just its lacking some apps. Which is kind of how I expected it to go, given how Android normally struggles locally with media apps. So the AppleTV seemed like an easy addition given how everyone flocks to that platform.

Of course so far at least there's competitors (namely Spotify, Amazon, and Google) who are either delaying or slow at getting their apps on there.

So amusingly I'm using a PS4 for Amazon Prime. Which I find annoying as its noisy (compared to the ATV or AndroidTV devices) and slow to start. For music I just make do with casting, especially now I have a Chromecast Audio and I can stream my flac files unmolested anywhere from plex).

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Either way, eh.

"slightly different edit" eh?

The Theatrical Cut had a completely different and totally out-of-place ending tacked onto it by the studio because they wanted a happy ending.

"slightly different edit" eh?

The Theatrical Cut had a completely different and totally out-of-place ending tacked onto it by the studio because they wanted a happy ending.

eh, I was 9 when I first saw the theatrical version. My point is that for years that's all people knew about and the theatrical version became a classic anyway. If that's what's on offer, it's still worth watching.

or buy the disc version or rent/buy the itunes/google version of the final cut.

dity

A nexus is what I have. I mostly like it, its just its lacking some apps. Which is kind of how I expected it to go, given how Android normally struggles locally with media apps. So the AppleTV seemed like an easy addition given how everyone flocks to that platform.

Of course so far at least there's competitors (namely Spotify, Amazon, and Google) who are either delaying or slow at getting their apps on there.

So amusingly I'm using a PS4 for Amazon Prime. Which I find annoying as its noisy (compared to the ATV or AndroidTV devices) and slow to start. For music I just make do with casting, especially now I have a Chromecast Audio and I can stream my flac files unmolested anywhere from plex).

Browsing music on Plex is a pain anyway lol

Danoss

If anyone is still having trouble with Getflix or whatever you can sign up for https://borderlessinternet.com/ for free until July. Apparently it works.

I'm still looking for something that will let me access Netflix Japan though. I was in the middle of watching Terrace House...

The issues I had with Getflix seem to have subsided somewhat.

Tonight I gave Borderless Internet a try and I do like the IP masking that comes with it, though my IP did appear in some tests, a different method may have been used that isn't relevant. Because I couldn't be bothered to reassign DNS forwarding, I just made all DNS to go through their servers. Then it looked like their servers completely shat themselves and no domain that wasn't Google would resolve. Had to revert to the previous setup. Not a good start.

T-0800

Who here has Foxtel? I find the sports package appealing but every single other channel just seems like nonsense in a post Netflix world. Having to watch shows on their schedule is not something I can really tolerate anymore for anything other then live events. Don't get me started on the commercials.

What's the future for services like Foxtel?

Death basically. Providers will eventually just sell to Netflix direct, same model can work with one episode per week.

Big question is how it all goes down in the home country of the show. Huge money in the US through TV for ads and the like. Free to air has done well to counteract pay TV ads to a certain point so far.

eh, I was 9 when I first saw the theatrical version. My point is that for years that's all people knew about and the theatrical version became a classic anyway. If that's what's on offer, it's still worth watching.
Agreed, it's a classic regardless of the version. The theatrical version was fine and to be honest I still kind of like the hard-boiled voiceover.

First time I saw the Director's Cut was an import VHS, on a 4:3 10cm or 12cm portable TV, with large letterboxing. Still loved it.

Edit: I think I might watch the theatrical cut this weekend, been ages since I've seen it.

Bernbaum

Got a few double-ups from the Star Wars Humble Bundle.

Free to a good home:

- Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™
- Star Wars™: Dark Forces
- Star Wars™ Jedi Knight Dark Forces II

PM for codes.

Who here has Foxtel? I find the sports package appealing but every single other channel just seems like nonsense in a post Netflix world. Having to watch shows on their schedule is not something I can really tolerate anymore for anything other then live events. Don't get me started on the commercials.

Dead. If I really want to watch a sporting event I'll go to the pub.

jambo

Got a few double-ups from the Star Wars Humble Bundle.

Free to a good home:

- Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™
- Star Wars™: Dark Forces
- Star Wars™ Jedi Knight Dark Forces II

PM for codes.

Every now and then I feel like replaying Jedi Outcast, but then I remember all the fucking pixel hunting and janky bits and I don't bother.

That lightsaber combat though, mhmm!

Quasar

I stream my parents' foxtel. Works pretty well for me.

I expect foxtel could continue on offering a split between live stuff and on demand stuff. They just need skinny bundles.

A major issue will just be foxtel hanging onto local rights, such as with hbo.

Thats said I do wish cricket (and afl and league - though I dont care about those) would follow baseball and have an app they run. But I think the internationalness of cricket makes it hard for that. Currently at least.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Every now and then I feel like replaying Jedi Outcast, but then I remember all the fucking pixel hunting and janky bits and I don't bother.

That lightsaber combat though, mhmm!

I just remember that shitty forced stealth section. Kills any and all interest in replaying it. Just like Wind Waker.

I was wondering if someone knows where I can find a single-page AFL fixture for the whole year? Or 2 pages at most?

I've been asked to set up footy tipping for clients at work. I think a few years ago it was done with an A4 photocopy of a Herald Sun page. I don't know much about this.

Echoplx

Yeah, doesn't seem to be working at the moment due to the current issues with Netflix though. At least it wasn't when I last checked yesterday.

After the inital issues a few days ago it's been fine for me, I've been binge watching x-files without any problems.

MoonGred

Speaking of AFL, my father in law wants to watch all of the Bulldog games on tv this season without having to get foxtel, is there a streaming service just dedicated to AFL?

T-0800

Speaking of AFL, my father in law wants to watch all of the Bulldog games on tv this season without having to get foxtel, is there a streaming service just dedicated to AFL?

Pretty sure there isn't. Tell him to take up the 3 months for free and just cancel at the end of the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom