• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonGred

Can vouch for the cordless Dyson. I think I have the model before the current one and it's not the most powerful, but it does a good enough job of picking up cat hair from carpet and basically anything from hard floors. Still nowhere near as good as my fiancee's regular, older Dyson though.

How long does the battery last?

It's wooden flooring all throughout the house so that should make it a bit easier. I was all set to get a robovac, but we're getting a corgi later this year and I'm a bit worried that it won't be able to handle all the hair.
It's just such pain to drag around a vacuum, it never goes where I want it to go, and is a pain to store.

Danoss

I'm trying to get away from always having to get out a heavy vacuum. Has the tech evolved enough to the point where a robovac is a feasible option? The battery powered dyson might be another option.

After past experiences with bagless vacuum cleaners caused me to pick up a half-decent bagged vacuum cleaner, the differences between them are staggering. Even with regular maintenance, bagless just isn't worth the hassle.

I wouldn't hold out hope for little robovacs being a viable replacement. They'd probably be fine for regular removal of surface debris, similar to a carpet sweeper. A solid, manual vacuum cleaner is definitely the way to go for thorough cleaning—there's also the added utility of furniture cleaning and the like with the cannister units.

Nope. Not surprising that part. Still bummed though. And it looks like before the transfer people with records in the DSE system will be contacted about having them deleted before the transfer. At least that's what a newscorp report I read said. Good move that.

I just received an email stating just that, and have (hopefully?) "unsubscribed" myself from having my details sent anywhere else. But probably not.

You'll have until March 22 (so a week).

Yeah just did that as well. If anything I'll be expecting more emails going forward.

Shaneus

How long does the battery last?

It's wooden flooring all throughout the house so that should make it a bit easier. I was all set to get a robovac, but we're getting a corgi later this year and I'm a bit worried that it won't be able to handle all the hair.
It's just such pain to drag around a vacuum, it never goes where I want it to go, and is a pain to store.
Feels like we get about 20-25 minutes out of it. In our 3BR place it will probably cover enough to get most surface/visible stuff (including couches) out of the way, but the receptacle doesn't really hold all that much, you'll be emptying it quite frequently.

Has a trigger-on power switch so when you're not using it, it's not sucking up precious battery. With a dog I'd think you'd still find a use for it even if you wind up getting a full size vac, like for the car etc. Honestly can't see there being much benefit to a full-size if you've only hard floors, but I could be mistaken.

MoonGred

After past experiences with bagless vacuum cleaners caused me to pick up a half-decent bagged vacuum cleaner, the differences between them are staggering. Even with regular maintenance, bagless just isn't worth the hassle.

I wouldn't hold out hope for little robovacs being a viable replacement. They'd probably be fine for regular removal of surface debris, similar to a carpet sweeper. A solid, manual vacuum cleaner is definitely the way to go for thorough cleaning—there's also the added utility of furniture cleaning and the like with the cannister units.

This may sound very ignorant, but I was under the impression that bagged vacuums we're a thing of the past.

MoonGred

Where did all this dislike for Kogan come from all of a sudden? Never bought anything of them but don't people on ozbargain love them?

Where did all this dislike for Kogan come from all of a sudden? Never bought anything of them but don't people on ozbargain love them?

Only bought one thing from Kogan, a Canon EOS DSLR for our family camera. Great prices, timely shipping and then when you open the packaging you see it's a grey market overseas import. Kogan Aussie power adaptor in a separate box as they knew exactly what they were doing.

Honestly I should have reported them the second I realised what they were doing for such a better price. Kogan isn't a retail saint but offers good prices and reliable deliveries in my experience. It's a solid ecom site.

Danoss

This may sound very ignorant, but I was under the impression that bagged vacuums we're a thing of the past.

Most people think the same thing (I also thought this, until recently). Not sure why, but it may be a testament to the power of marketing. When you see the differences in how they operate and what's needed to maintain them, there is a gulf between them.

Bagless

Pros
  • No need to purchase or change special bags
  • Cheap
Cons
  • Waste disposal is unpleasant and messy
  • Frequent, messy cleaning and maintenance required
  • Respiratory protection advised when disposing of waste and/or cleaning
  • Allergy sufferers should avoid
Bagged

Pros
  • Easy waste disposal
  • Minimal maintenance and cleaning
  • Superior filtration; excellent options for allergies
Cons
  • Need to buy and change special bags
  • Higher intital cost

Both need filter changes, but this is often forgotten or not even mentioned with the bagless vacuums. With the bagged units, changing the bag simultaneously changes one of the filters. Both have ongoing costs, one is just more apparent.

Suction is lost on both types once filters start to clog. With bagless, the dust is hitting the filter immediately upon use and you are losing suction from the very beginning. With bagged, suction begins to decrease once the bag exceeds 1/2–2/3 full. Unless your house is constantly filthy, the bagged unit is much less of an issue here, whereas the bagless requires filter cleaning after every single use to restore it to full suction capability. Do that often enough and the bags start to appear much more attractive.

Cerity

Warranty typically seems to be a pain with them as the products are grey imports on top of their already tight customer service. I also vaguely remember them doing those COTD-esque bait and switch sales where they'd advertise a crazy price but only have one unit in stock.

dity

A local bowls club near my mother's place bought Kogan brand electronics and they're honestly pretty crud.

Given their grey import nature I wonder what the nature of warranties and Australian certification will be. I know for most stuff bought from Kogan you basically can't take it to an electronics repair shop or get a refund based upon Australian consumer rights due to the whole international aspect going on there.

MoonGred

So much info about a vacuum. Where can you even get vacuum bags nowadays? All I can think of is that big chain shop that sells vacuums, the name of which escapes me.
I usually give the whole house a clean every week, which I found makes everything so much quicker.

Warranty typically seems to be a pain with them as the products are grey imports on top of their already tight customer service. I also vaguely remember them doing those COTD-esque bait and switch sales where they'd advertise a crazy price but only have one unit in stock.

Sounds like they'll fit right in with the DS sales tactics

A local bowls club near my mother's place bought Kogan brand electronics and they're honestly pretty crud.

Given their grey import nature I wonder what the nature of warranties and Australian certification will be. I know for most stuff bought from Kogan you basically can't take it to an electronics repair shop or get a refund based upon Australian consumer rights due to the whole international aspect going on there.

Yea that does sound pretty shitty, I nearly bought a phone of them but they estimated it took 3 weeks to ship.

So much info about a vacuum. Where can you even get vacuum bags nowadays? All I can think of is that big chain shop that sells vacuums, the name of which escapes me.
I usually give the whole house a clean every week, which I found makes everything so much quicker.

Godfrey's? That's where I get them for mine, they usually have generics that fit most brands. Though I have occasionally pulled the bag apart emptied it and taped it back together.

I have two, a cheapo bagless one from Aldi that cost $50, gets the job mostly done and an older bagged Miele with a powerhead to tackle dog hair on the rugs. The Aldi one can't cope with the rugs!

dity

I got sick of vacuum bags never seeming to attach to my old vacuum so I'm bagless these days. Half the time all the dust wouldn't properly go into the bag anyway, so may as well be a bagless vacuum at that point.

Danoss

Cheapest place I've found is eBay. If necessary, you can get them from the places that sell the same brand vacuum cleaners: Bing Lee, Harvey's, etc.

Buy a miele vacuum, be happy, problem solved.

This is the correct answer. I honestly had no idea a vacuum cleaner could be so good.

jambo

We had issues with a Kogan electric fry pan and when we put through a warranty request they just sent us a new one.

ended up just getting a controller thro kogan as i cant find any stock thro the website finding a store with stock is cumbersome not even sure any QLD stores have stock

how are we now anyway as far as % off sales go ?

will see how things with kogan go it says the item is in sydeny but has a date range of 1 - 11 of April so must just be fulfillment

the big question is will we get a games competitor out of all this ?

Never had any problems with Kogan
I think I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from them back in the day

Also maybe a microSD card
and then when I tried to flash the ROM on the phone and fucked the microsd card, they sent me a new one lol
I knew they were grey imports going in so no biggie

Also re: vacuum cleaners
We used to have one of those big dysons on a ball. that was pretty cool but yeah emptying didn't feel nice lol. I always held my breath while emptying the bagless thingy into the garbage.
Now my parents have a Miele and yeah that seems to be going well

Apart from the grey imports, I'm guessing Kogan himself just comes across as a bit of a tool. I would have thought his own brand was worth more than Dick Smith Online's name (which is all he bought, isn't it?)

As for Vacuums, I've had two Dyson's and while I like them, you do have to replace the filter pads at some point (one is supposed to be washed every six months, but after a few years, you're better off replacing the pads.)
My folks have a nilfisk with a bag and that's been pretty good for them, cleans up my cat's hair no problem while they look after him.
I have a cheap 50 pound Hoover bagless right now and it's rubbish. Will upgrade to a Dyson Animal at some point if I decide to stay in the UK. (That's for Shaneus)

A guy at work who's probably 10 years younger than me called himself old to some even younger colleagues. Feels

MoonGred

god i have been so sick for the past week

first having cold problems then stomach bugs from dinner on sunday, god i feel terrible

I don't know what is going around but it pretty bad. 4 people in the office were sick yesterday, and I feel like death today, can't stop sweating and have the biggest headache.

Shaneus

He's a smarmy douchebag, basically. I liken him to a gen-Y Gerry Harvey.

PS. Someone here will post when an AU price for the PSVR is known, yes? The $399US price point has me concerned :/ But virtual cinema mode has me hopeful of it's use beyond PSVR-only titles though :)

Cerity

We had issues with a Kogan electric fry pan and when we put through a warranty request they just sent us a new one.

Friends have had nothing but trouble with trying to return phones. Constant back and forth and the warranty team shifting the blame on them each time. With phones that have issues acknowledged by the manufacturer too (Xperia Z glass cracking, HTC one's purple camera). When they did finally get the returns going, it took something like 2 months to get a working phone back.

Shaneus

Ehhhh... I still have to buy move and camera on top of that so I am looking at $650+change I think
Camera will be $50, I already have a Move (and could probably get another one if I need to). Don't forget that the giant LED on the front of the DS4 also serves the same purpose on the Move controller, so you may not necessarily need it.

Bleh, got a jury duty letter.

Here's hoping saying I'm a casual working barista and it'd be a major hassle getting my shifts covered gets me out of it.

radaxian

Bleh, got a jury duty letter.

Here's hoping saying I'm a casual working barista and it'd be a major hassle getting my shifts covered gets me out of it.

I've got it coming up in April too. I know I'll be bored but I'd still like to do it once. My problem is that I might know some of the lawyers as my wife is a criminal defence barrister. There's always a much larger pool of people called up than they actually need so you never know if you'll be needed.

If you really don't want to do it, even trying some excuses that don't cut it might do the trick as it sends a signal to the barristers that you don't want to be there and might not take it as seriously as you should. They often use their 'free picks' to boot people in this category if nothing else jumps out. (advise from my wife)

jambo

Friends have had nothing but trouble with trying to return phones. Constant back and forth and the warranty team shifting the blame on them each time. With phones that have issues acknowledged by the manufacturer too (Xperia Z glass cracking, HTC one's purple camera). When they did finally get the returns going, it took something like 2 months to get a working phone back.

Understandable that they would be cool with replacing a $30 fryer, but sucks that they're shitty with phones.

I almost bought a phone via Kogan a few years ago, sounds like a good thing that I didn't.

I don't know what is going around but it pretty bad. 4 people in the office were sick yesterday, and I feel like death today, can't stop sweating and have the biggest headache.

I've had that for the last week, my misses, my daughter too but my son has been holding out and not infected. Massively draining, cough, sweats, cold, hot, muscle pain, vomiting...it just keeps giving the bastard. Anyhow go to the docs, I had a bronchial infection and needed antibiotics. The two ladies didn't need anything. I'm expecting a lighter week of hell but it's still hanging around for all of us. Fucking washing sheets and towels and airing the house is getting annoying as all hell!

Shaneus

Yeah. Unless I come into some money to buy a new pc and vive this will be my gen1 vr system. Hope I can demo it first in a store though.
IMO it's better to first-gen it with something that doesn't require heavy specs and has guaranteed support/performance. First-gen PC VR may be better to start with, but how long until PC game settings have to be dialled right back to allow for VR to work properly?

All guaranteed to work with the PSVR, baby.

Quasar

IMO it's better to first-gen it with something that doesn't require heavy specs and has guaranteed support/performance. First-gen PC VR may be better to start with, but how long until PC game settings have to be dialled right back to allow for VR to work properly?

All guaranteed to work with the PSVR, baby.

And I keep thinking in 2-3 years there will be second gen headsets on pc anyway and then I'd feel the need to upgrade anyway.

:(

I've got it coming up in April too. I know I'll be bored but I'd still like to do it once. My problem is that I might know some of the lawyers as my wife is a criminal defence barrister. There's always a much larger pool of people called up than they actually need so you never know if you'll be needed.

If you really don't want to do it, even trying some excuses that don't cut it might do the trick as it sends a signal to the barristers that you don't want to be there and might not take it as seriously as you should. They often use their 'free picks' to boot people in this category if nothing else jumps out. (advise from my wife)

Thanks, we'll see what happens.

r1chard

Right, so I've decided that it'd be nice to try to go camping for a night or two this school holidays as a trial run, but now I have no idea where to go... Was gonna try for Wilson's Prom but they're minimum 4 night stays over Easter *and* I think they're all booked up. Have to plan way in advance for that. And probably anywhere else :-( Anyone got any advice, other than "plan better" :)

Right, so I've decided that it'd be nice to try to go camping for a night or two this school holidays as a trial run, but now I have no idea where to go... Was gonna try for Wilson's Prom but they're minimum 4 night stays over Easter *and* I think they're all booked up. Have to plan way in advance for that. And probably anywhere else :-( Anyone got any advice, other than "plan better" :)

Don't go on the school holidays.

jambo

Camping at Easter requires a booking at least a few months out.

My parents still go off with a group of family friends every year and they normally book the next trip right after they get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom