• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, so I've decided that it'd be nice to try to go camping for a night or two this school holidays as a trial run, but now I have no idea where to go... Was gonna try for Wilson's Prom but they're minimum 4 night stays over Easter *and* I think they're all booked up. Have to plan way in advance for that. And probably anywhere else :-( Anyone got any advice, other than "plan better" :)

Obligatory, don't camp at Easter triggered warning.

Kangaroo flats is a sweet place to camp if you're up for a drive to get there. Just follow the track until you cross the river and pick a nice flat part. Usually busy this time of year but at least there is a decent river. Nice natural camping.

Anywhere along the Murray, also very busy for Easter but you'll find a spot. Toolangi state forest is a short drive from CBD Victoria. Also try Murrindindi, again here will be packed but at least you can keep driving deeper off road and find something, it just won't be close to the river etc.

Forget the Prom mate, it's half the size it used to be and booked way in advance. It's also not too much fun when super crowded IMO. Do this one in an "off time" and enjoy it.

If you can find a powered site at a caravan place such as Angelsea, down Geelong way, that's a fantastic mini camp with amenities and direct beach access plus local pubs/stores/cafes within walking distance. Doubt it has anything available but check around the BIG4 or local caravan parks. Cabin or camp.

I've stayed at this one down there:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/au/ang...0d5a621bb389ea817e8b9b802edX1;highlight_room=

Also this is solid caravan park with non-powered, powered and cabins etc, stayed here and can recommend:
http://www.big4.com.au/caravan-parks/vic/murray/riverside-swanhill-holiday-park

If you go pure camping and happen to get lucky at this time of year go for this one:
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/great-otway-national-park/things-to-do/johanna-beach2

Otherwise travel to the NSW border and there's tons of natural camping, just hit up parks and recreation websites (http://parkweb.vic.gov.au) or an RACV shop and their assistants are awesome for this, just chat to them if you're a member and get discounts too.

/random info dump

Shaneus

And I keep thinking in 2-3 years there will be second gen headsets on pc anyway and then I'd feel the need to upgrade anyway.
Exactly. Whereas (hopefully) PS4 will still be around then. And if not, you could be fairly certain that the PSVR will be forwards-compatible with the PS5.

Edit: Shit, looks like the camera is out of stock at DSE :/

0OoO0

Hey Guys

Which should I get from the PSN sale?

MGSV - $39.95
Resident Evil Revelation 2 Deluxe Edition - $24.95
The Evil Within - $19.45
Tearaway - $11.95

Can't Decide!

Kritz

Banned
*looks at tasmanian internet*
*sobs*

ADSL1 speeds + ISP blocking access to sites (youtube, torrents, any kind of media file)
I want to get off mr bone's wild ride

Hey Guys

Which should I get from the PSN sale?

MGSV - $39.95
Resident Evil Revelation 2 Deluxe Edition - $24.95
The Evil Within - $19.45
Tearaway - $11.95

Can't Decide!

I'm trying to play The Evil Within atm, 6 chapters in out of 15 or so and it's becoming a bit of chore to be honest. Dull and ponderous is an apt description.

Quasar

Exactly. Whereas (hopefully) PS4 will still be around then. And if not, you could be fairly certain that the PSVR will be forwards-compatible with the PS5.

Edit: Shit, looks like the camera is out of stock at DSE :/

No move either. Little success on my search for a cheap second move. eb claims to sell them for $10 but you have to find a store with stock. You'd think they would raise prices quick smart, assuming any stores have any left.

Kritz

Banned
On Telstra here, didn't even notice an interruption until my buddies on other isps started telling me

real tempted to switch over to one of their nbn plans but man I'm paying $80/month with internode for ADSL2 w/ 1.2TB of data and a phone line. Feel like I wouldn't get anywhere close to that on Telstra.

real tempted to switch over to one of their nbn plans but man I'm paying $80/month with internode for ADSL2 w/ 1.2TB of data and a phone line. Feel like I wouldn't get anywhere close to that on Telstra.

Looks like you could get $100 / month for 1tb with the nbn phone line. But it would go up to 120 after the 2 years were up probably. Unless the plans have changed by then.

Kritz

Banned
Looks like you could get $100 / month for 1tb with the nbn phone line. But it would go up to 120 after the 2 years were up probably. Unless the plans have changed by then.

Mm. It's not a bad plan aside from the numerous catches that hit 24 months into it. I wonder if TGP / internode will offer any kind of loyalty trinket at the end of this debacle.

I'll probably wait until Thursday and see if that relaxes it a bit. If not I'll probably switch to Telstra and then jump back to Internode once the contract is over.

Why the hell's that happening?
The big undersea cable that non-Telstra ISPs used has had to be cut and is being repaired. It's out of action until May. The other ISPs are having to buy bandwidth from Telstra (who have their own undersea cables) and it looks like they're not getting much.

dity

The big undersea cable that non-Telstra ISPs used has had to be cut and is being repaired. It's out of action until May. The other ISPs are having to buy bandwidth from Telstra (who have their own undersea cables) and it looks like they're not getting much.

Is this only effecting Tasmania or everyone?

senahorse

Telstra are seemingly playing their typical selves and offering bandwidth at unreasonable costs as well. Great way to get new customers to churn!

It's more to do with non-Telstra ISPs not buying enough bandwidth as opposed to not getting enough.

http://www.itnews.com.au/news/iinet-internode-strike-telstra-capacity-deal-for-tasmania-416825

iiNet and Internode - and its owner TPG - had faced criticism from multiple quarters over its apparent failure to provision enough alternate capacity to cope with the unavailability of Basslink.

"Other non-Telstra ISPs were prepared for the cutting of the Basslink cable, which was anticipated," Tasmania's IT minister Michael Ferguson said.

"Government traffic was shifted off the Basslink cable earlier this month to avoid any possibility that important government services would be interrupted when the cut was made.

"This has ensured that such services have continued as normal, as have those of all ISPs that prepared for this known eventuality."

Digital Tasmania spokesperson Andrew Connor said the internet slowdowns experienced by iiNet and Internode customers were likely the result of either poor capacity planning, or of high prices to access temporary capacity on the Telstra cables.

However, Ferguson sought to defuse the price argument as a potential reason to under-provision.

"It is important to note that the price of using services across Bass Strait is regulated by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission," he said.

$20 is $20 but for long term comfort in and office chair I'd go with a Markus from IKEA with fabric rather than "I'm sure it's leather"

I did have a chair similar to the one in Rep's link except the arm rests were a flat bar that swivels up (very useful for playing guitar)

Bernbaum

Hey rep - I'm driving to San Antonio this weekend to watch the Spurs play Golden State!

Holy fuck was that the most money I've paid for nosebleed section seats, and it's still just the regular season.

Hey rep - I'm driving to San Antonio this weekend to watch the Spurs play Golden State!

Holy fuck was that the most money I've paid for nosebleed section seats, and it's still just the regular season.

I hate you so much. You couldn't of picked a better game to go watch.

I'm in Sydney and it looks like a good deal, $19 shipping! Ordered!
Nice, was looking to replace my old one and $50 is very reasonable for this chair, pickup only 10 mins away too. Thanks!

edit: Red sold out already? :( Oh well, B&W it is.
No probs!

Damnnnnnn that will be a fun game. Jelly as fuck :(

Just got a Kogan Travel marketing email. I didn't even know they did that. Actually really good prices TBH, might book 3 days away at Phillip Island for the fam.

Omikron

Any recommendations for buying a desk chair? For gaming mostly just don't know where to start.

I thought I posted last night, but clearly I didn't. No idea what happened.

But I recommend going to a store and trying all the things. It really is the only way.

Also those cheap racing chair looking things are awful. imo.

i have a cheap officeworks racing chair thing. its treated me well but the seat itself has flattened considerably after about a year or use. im looking into spending more and buying a dx racer or something else that will last longer.

The deal also gets Optus every match of the next World Cup, with SBS only showing one match per day.

I'm now less excited. :(

Oh well it's not like Wolves are going to be in the Premier League next year or at any point in the near future anyway!

Don't buy the office chairs from Aldi, $50 or so, the seat has completely compressed and 2 wheels broke off it in the last two weeks.

that begs the question i bought one of those humming bird chairs from office works ages ago needless to say it started to show wear in less then 6 months that was about 2 years ago now i think, its a comfy chair but tattered iv sort of given up not sure what is to look for given its basically my gaming chair not sure what sort of chair would stand up to more then 4 hours of use ( office chair)

Cerity

If you want some decent chairs for cheap see if you can't catch an office that's closing down or something. Granted they're second hand but they do go for quality and do let them go for cheap. I have a pair of office chairs from QUT that are around 15 years old now, they look pretty ratty now but everything about them is great. I've gone through a few shitty officeworks chairs over the last few years but I keep going back to these old office chairs.

Pandemic

Is anyone familiar with Nvidia's, Shadowplay?

Whilst playing, FPS is perfectly fine, but when I record something and play it back, there are times throughout the video that it stutters and the FPS drops.

Only started happening recently.. Any ideas?

Is anyone familiar with Nvidia's, Shadowplay?

Whilst playing, FPS is perfectly fine, but when I record something and play it back, there are times throughout the video that it stutters and the FPS drops.

Only started happening recently.. Any ideas?

It's probably because of the player you're using. VLC does this to mine a lot but potplayer does not.

Alright I'm moving house and I need to get my net sorted.

With iiNet atm and it's constantly dropping out so looking for someone new.

Are the major guys Telstra/Optus pretty reliable?

No NBN here yet btw, think it's scheduled for Q3 2016.

Alright I'm moving house and I need to get my net sorted.

With iiNet atm and it's constantly dropping out so looking for someone new.

Are the major guys Telstra/Optus pretty reliable?

No NBN here yet btw, think it's scheduled for Q3 2016.

If there isn't a lot of people in your street/exchange on it then Telstra cable is likely your best bet. Most recent NBN installs use that network at some point anyhow. From what I've seen there is very little performance difference between a good cable connection and NBN down here. Sad. Personally I'd recommend getting off the copper network altogether. I have Telstra cable and a backup iiNet ADSL2+ connection and hands down the cable connection rails latency and throughput. Same issue here, can't get NBN and no rollout plan for another 3 years still. What a joke.

If you need a static IP then cable isn't the best fit but you can use things like DYNDNS to get around such issues. Other than that cable all the way baby. Also a bundle with Telstra for cable/Foxtel/mobiles can do very well on price and data usage quotas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom