• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there isn't a lot of people in your street/exchange on it then Telstra cable is likely your best bet. Most recent NBN installs use that network at some point anyhow. From what I've seen there is very little performance difference between a good cable connection and NBN down here. Sad. Personally I'd recommend getting off the copper network altogether. I have Telstra cable and a backup iiNet ADSL2+ connection and hands down the cable connection rails latency and throughput. Same issue here, can't get NBN and no rollout plan for another 3 years still. What a joke.

If you need a static IP then cable isn't the best fit but you can use things like DYNDNS to get around such issues. Other than that cable all the way baby. Also a bundle with Telstra for cable/Foxtel/mobiles can do very well on price and data usage quotas.

Searching my address on Telstra just says I can get ADSL, no mention of cable, though searching it on iiNet says I can get cable through them (which is the choppy connection I have at my current address afaik).

There's also the cost: $115p/m at Telstra and $80p/m at iiNet, I hope that means Telstra gives a more stable connection.

Alright I'm moving house and I need to get my net sorted.

With iiNet atm and it's constantly dropping out so looking for someone new.

Are the major guys Telstra/Optus pretty reliable?

No NBN here yet btw, think it's scheduled for Q3 2016.

Best bet might be to ask people in the street you're moving to. Most issues are due to geography and demand in the area, I have iiNet and it's completely reliable. Maybe even ask on Whirlpool what people in the area use or just search for the new suburb.

Best bet might be to ask people in the street you're moving to. Most issues are due to geography and demand in the area, I have iiNet and it's completely reliable. Maybe even ask on Whirlpool what people in the area use or just search for the new suburb.

Whirlpool is a great resource for getting the best connection you can.

Hmm, searching for the suburb on whirlpool people seem to be happy with iiNet, not sure what's causing me issues where I am now considering its only like a 10 min drive between the two places.

The problem with it though is their cable plan is only on a 24 month contract, whereas Telstra ADLS offers month-to-month. Not sure how long I'll be at this place, signing for a 12 month lease, shouldn't have any issue moving the net to a new place in a year though should I?

Hmm, searching for the suburb on whirlpool people seem to be happy with iiNet, not sure what's causing me issues where I am now considering its only like a 10 min drive between the two places.

The problem with it though is their cable plan is only on a 24 month contract, whereas Telstra ADLS offers month-to-month. Not sure how long I'll be at this place, signing for a 12 month lease, shouldn't have any issue moving the net to a new place in a year though should I?

Try calling iiNet, sometimes they can release your connection and have you reconnect to a different socket at their end, it's a thing the end to end connections can have a bad socket you just happen to get stuck with repeatedly.

Does your issue recur in wet weather? Your line may have intermittent issues based on water problems on your property or street connection. Have you tried a different router or config? Ask iiNet to change your plan Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) setting at their end. Check your iiNet toolbox setting for plan speed, higher speeds are less stable, switch them and test each one for your liking. This is basically the SNR setting which iiNet happen to let customers tweak a bit.

Are your cables twisted or near power cables? Clean them up, shorten them and separate them from power lines or lamps or speakers etc. Also make note of the times you're having issue, it could just be local congestion in your street/exchange during peak times.

I really need to see this list now

My txt file copy of it is from almost 3 years ago o_O

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far?
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
iOS gamer or Android user?
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
UGG boots. Do you speak it?
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
Any glass eyeballs?
Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013 killing 3rd party support for the WiiU[/s]?
Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time

jambo

360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?

Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013 killing 3rd party support for the WiiU[/s]?

Man this thing is old.

A bought a packet thanks to this thread a while ago. They're quite good but not the GOAT biscuits of all time or anything.
I used to stay in country motels occasionally for work and for some reason they always seemed to have these in the room. I would always bring one home for the wife, but I've had quite enough of them thank you very much.

dity

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins? Insert guy/girl of interest (Lily Cerna, Ella Morton, Mel McLaughlin, kPOP) here.
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Any glass eyeballs?

I'm glad I didn't get these questions

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Any glass eyeballs?

This is something else.. Smith's chips or bust.

Where's everyone from? I'll start, from Sydney but currently working in Melbourne.

MoonGred

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Any glass eyeballs?

This list really is something. No wonder people might find it off putting and may consider ausgaf some weird community.

Also red Rock isn't the best.

Add one to being Melbourne based

I'm still shocked at how many people in here went on about Karen Gillan at the time. I wonder what ever happened to her?

She had a short lived US sitcom and is in guardians of the Galaxy.

Also, you bugger for posting that questionaire again.

Where's everyone from? I'll start, from Sydney but currently working in Melbourne.

From Brisbane but working in the UK.

Dryk

Adelaide, born, bred and fused into.

I actually agree with the questionnaire, after switching to Red Rock Deli Smiths is just too greasy for me.

Near Adelaide
"I got most of the way to Adelaide but then I figured if I stayed where I was it'd end up coming to me"

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Adelaide, born, bred and fused into.

I actually agree with the questionnaire, after switching to Red Rock Deli Smiths is just too greasy for me.

"I got most of the way to Adelaide but then I figured if I stayed where I was it'd end up coming to me"
You laugh but it seems I will never move closer. Gonna build a house in the Barossa lol. That backyard space > closeness to town.
Adelaide, but maybe moving to Sydney soon for work.
U fucking wot m8.
I know we've discussed this before but still... I've known you more than half my life yo

MoonGred

The most important one tbh

True, what would this country have to show for itself if it wasn't for citizen burger disorder.

TV shopping is the absolute worst thing in the world. Forget about looking at reviews because each region has different model numbers. All I want is a 60-60"4k TV for about $2500-2800 is that too much to ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom