• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazunta

Posting this in here for Stackboy who asked me about this, but you're all welcome to check it out :)

I help make a magazine called Reset 64, and it's all about the new Commodore 64 games that are being made and released, and we're up to our eighth issue now!

Every issue is free to read and has a new comic in it by me as well as reviews, news and looks at upcoming cool releases :)

/plug

Quasar

And here I thought the article would be criticising the Division for being about government agents murdering poor people. Trumps America the game as it were.

CLEEK

I preordered a PSVR from JB today.

What did your branch have to say about supply? The JB website said all launch day pre-orders were taken, but my local store said they still had launch pre-orders available.

I'm in no rush, so if I don't get it at launch then that's fine. Just need to track down some cheap Move controllers in the mean time.

What did your branch have to say about supply? The JB website said all launch day pre-orders were taken, but my local store said they still had launch pre-orders available.

I'm in no rush, so if I don't get it at launch then that's fine. Just need to track down some cheap Move controllers in the mean time.
The guy at my local JB seemed to know his arse from his elbow, and said that for the October SKU, JB had an allocation of 1100 units, and 17 were still available. He said they were being told that the later "2016" SKU was what they should be pushing for preorders now, but was happy to give me one of the remaining October ones.

My receipt clearly says 31/10/16 as the release date for my preorder, so I should be OK, but like you I don't mind if I have to wait a while.

Stackboy

Posting this in here for Stackboy who asked me about this, but you're all welcome to check it out :)

I help make a magazine called Reset 64, and it's all about the new Commodore 64 games that are being made and released, and we're up to our eighth issue now!

Every issue is free to read and has a new comic in it by me as well as reviews, news and looks at upcoming cool releases :)

/plug

Cheers gaz!

I do not care about VR in the slightest.
There is no use case for VR in my house. A screen that you can not only not share with anyone, but actively shuts you off from the people around you sounds great if you're single and have no SO or children, but probably makes you a bad partner/parent if you do.

My son and I can't share the joy of having Mario in a catsuit win an underwater race in Mario Kart via a headset.

There is no use case for VR in my house. A screen that you can not only not share with anyone, but actively shuts you off from the people around you sounds great if you're single and have no SO or children, but probably makes you a bad partner/parent if you do.

My son and I can't share the joy of having Mario in a catsuit win an underwater race in Mario Kart via a headset.
The PSVR has simultaneous output to another screen via HDMI, FWIW. I don't know that it makes the experience "social" as Sony claims, given that the headset user is probably using headphones, but there's that anyway.

All that said, it's going to be tricky to play Mario Kart via a headset until Nintendo either make a headset, or go third party ;)

Rezbit

I'm not going to bother with VR. The last way I want to play games is putting a massive set of goggles on my head and flailing about.

The PSVR has simultaneous output to another screen via HDMI, FWIW. I don't know that it makes the experience "social" as Sony claims, given that the headset user is probably using headphones, but there's that anyway.

All that said, it's going to be tricky to play Mario Kart via a headset until Nintendo either make a headset, or go third party ;)
Mario Kart was probably a bad example. Though the fact that Sony don't make anything like Mario Kart is odd to me. It's like they decided that video gamers are tween to thirty-something boys a long time ago and that nobody else was worth bothering with.

It's funny how having a kid has changed how I view video games. I never really "got" Mario Kart until I booted it up one day when we both had the flu and I was sick of watching kids' movies. He instantly perked up and kept asking me to make the car fly or make the car go underwater. Now its one of my favourite things to do with him on a rainy day.

hamchan

I'm pretty hyped for VR but not enough to pre-order a PSVR blindly.

I'll probably go Oculus since I'll be buying a new Pascal GPU anyways. Also I assume Oculus will work with anything and everything since it's PC while PSVR will be limited to the PS4.

Gazunta

I still haven't even gotten a Wii U, let alone an Xbox One or a PS4 so the idea of getting any VR kit is not even on my radar's radar.

The only games I've bought this year are the SNES ones they re-re-re-released for the N3DS and I'm happy with just that.

Yeah, safe to say I'm very out of the loop these days :)

/plug
Have you thought about dropping that lost cause and heading to the hot bed of awesomesauce that is the current day VIC-20 scene?

Nah, that's shit's too hip for the likes of you and the rest of the Reset 64 doofuses.

I'm pretty hyped for VR but not enough to pre-order a PSVR blindly.
It's definitely a big gamble; this stuff could easily end up as a white elephant. The way I look at it: at the very least, I'll end up with an extra TV :)

If you go with the Sony stuff, you're probably looking at a more focused offering from developers, and potentially a larger userbase. On the other hand, on the PC there's all of the cool non-gaming stuff that people will no doubt come up with (interfaces, etc.), as well as all of the extra horsepower available.

i want one , may pick one up at the end of this year with a new oled tho at this point cant make up my mind if im happy with the 33/34 input lag on the new oled sets or if i want to wait a a year or so more for something better

You gotta try VR before you buy. Don't buy one blind. They NEED to get demo units out to stores before launch so you can cancel preorders if need be.

Mario Kart was probably a bad example. Though the fact that Sony don't make anything like Mario Kart is odd to me. It's like they decided that video gamers are tween to thirty-something boys a long time ago and that nobody else was worth bothering with.

They tried last gen with ModNation Kart Racers & LittleBigPlanet Karting. Turns out people don't want solid kart racers, they want IP fan service driven kart racers! Neither of those IP are overly beloved in terms of characters. The F1 kart game didn't do amazing either I recall.

Otherwise I don't understand why we don't have Sonic Racing 3 yet. Game got an insane amount of buzz (despite having same meta score as MN).

Sony have assumed kids have moved to mobile and f2p games. Which they largely have tbh. Now consoles have been out for a while and prices come down this market should grow though. Just need some killer apps (which so far are on 3DS or mobile lately).

Racing chair arrived today, easy to put together and quality is decent for $55. Hate that the top isn't anchored to the bottom though, accident waiting to happen with kids around so I'll have to add one on!

Came with mold on the 'leather' though. Due to sweating in storage I assume. Cleaned off fine.

Deeku

yeah don't think i'm in on vr until it shows legit signs of becoming mass market

mostly cos i feel like it would really screw with my already pretty crumby eyesight

Racing chair arrived today, easy to put together and quality is decent for $55. Hate that the top isn't anchored to the bottom though, accident waiting to happen with kids around so I'll have to add one on!

Came with mold on the 'leather' though. Due to sweating in storage I assume. Cleaned off fine.

Hmm, sounds decent for $55. Would have picked up mine on Thursday since their place is 10 mins away from my place, but they decided to ship it for free instead, and now I have to wait till tomorrow for slow poke Aus Post.

I'm barely even interested in VR for games. The most interesting things to me are virtual tourism and being able to do things I could otherwise never do.

I want to revisit Athens and Rome, but this time with a slider where I can drag back and forth through the ages. I want to jump off Everest wearing a wingsuit. I want to dive and explore the wreck of the Titanic. I want to fly up to the International Space Station and explore it.

If VR can do that, convincingly, I'll jump in at some point. But the early adopters can figure all that out for me.

MTE

So, due to my sister dropping out, I have one ticket to 3D Batman v Superman on Thursday at 7:15pm at Hoyts Melbourne Central.
Anyone interested in grabbing it for, say, $15? I paid $24+

Warning: You will need to sit near me.

Quasar

I'm barely even interested in VR for games. The most interesting things to me are virtual tourism and being able to do things I could otherwise never do.

I want to revisit Athens and Rome, but this time with a slider where I can drag back and forth through the ages. I want to jump off Everest wearing a wingsuit. I want to dive and explore the wreck of the Titanic. I want to fly up to the International Space Station and explore it.

That actually makes me sad for what has been talked about for Assassins Creed VR. All I really needed a tourism app for those worlds.

Virtual tourism is going to be amazinggggggggggggggggg. Also virtual concerts.

Also virtual 'this is how your house is going to look when you build it'.

...and when we're all pod people living in massive high-rises in choking cities 'this is what the outside looks like!'

VR is going to need killer apps before I get interested at the prices asked.

Samsung phone came with GearVR, yet to be delivered and I'll order an Oculus Rift after I upgrade my PC video card.

I really like the idea of MS's hololens combined with a Kinect or two but it will be a long way off, if ever, that gets mainstream support. For me that appears to be the leading tech, you can have standard VR (say if they added a closed visor mode), plus AR (they did this with Halo to amazing effect) and then Kinect room/body/appendage tracking etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom