• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
played Smash online for the first time last night. Had a few games with no lag and a few games with a lot! Also realised just how much I suck at the "modern" smashes. Should've got a gamecube or something. N64 version is the only one I'm half good at.

Seriously. I couldn't believe how bad I was at the new smash. Still fun though!

Kritz

Banned
1YYPJiI.jpg

five million fucking dollars.

magenta

Anybody read the Sydney Morning Hearld? The entire front page was an advertisement for a Netflix competitor called Stan. I know readership is down so things must be getting really bad :s

Tommy DJ

is it possible to get an adapter/controller these days? :'(

Controller shouldn't be that difficult to find. Third party adapters (like the 4 port Mayflash one that works natively with Dolphin) were pretty cheap until they jacked up the price but they work perfectly fine.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Anybody read the Sydney Morning Hearld? The entire front page was an advertisement for a Netflix competitor called Stan. I know readership is down so things must be getting really bad :s

Stan is actually pretty good, though its longevity will be judge by what content they can get. Securing Roadshow was a good move just after launch so we shall see.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
powering through metroid prime 1 today!

Got the ice beam just recently! Ithink my scanning is going along well, i like to think when I end the game ill be around the 80 - 90% mark

HolyCheck

:( rooster, pinocchio is a lot more emotional than misaeng or my love from the stars.

episode 12 :( I'm gone. oh god ;_;

when he signs off the news report. oh lord.

christ

then the talk with his brother out side the studio

now telling his father

:( i can't do this.

Jintor

my high school friend got married today. i didn't notice until he posted the 'post marriage maccas' pic because i thought he was just best manning someone else's wedding.

kinda made me acutely aware of how isolated i feel sometimes up here

N0VAM0D

Anyone going to Laneway Syd?
Ugh, I wish. Have fun!

I used to have a trampoline like this. We used to do all kind of awesome irresponsible things with it like jumping with 5 people at once, playing Street Fighter with fly kicks to each others faces, standing the trampoline on it's side and letting it fall down with us on top etc.

The only bad thing that ever happened was one time while I was jumping an ant fell out of the tree above and into my eye where it promptly bit my eye and died from the welled up eye juices with its pincers still attached to the eye. It hurt... a lot. But that's hardly the trampolines fault is it?

LAWD

you just reminded me of this one time I was jumping on the trampoline at night and above me were those trees with the spikey pom poms...

LIKE THIS
list4724.jpg

and I felt something fall onto my head, which got stuck in my massive curly hair. I brushed it away thinking it was a spikey thing but IT WAS A REALLY BIG BROWN SPIDER and I ran into the house and cried

I can't tell if your story sounds worse than mine though both are pretty traumatic

Deeku

my high school friend got married today. i didn't notice until he posted the 'post marriage maccas' pic because i thought he was just best manning someone else's wedding.

shoulda thought of that before leaving!

i dunno, i kinda don't look at the stuff and just focus on what i got here.

BRB making specific trip to Aldi for more chips. They have more flavour powder on them than the Kettle ones Rezbit, which gives it a fuller flavour but is surprisingly accurate overall.

Dude who used to be my best friend before I moved for work went to Nepal and I didn't know for 12 months lol. Time sure flies, especially when you aren't constantly bombarded with social stuff.

HolyCheck

Personally I think it's too hard to quickly switch between the shoulder buttons on the Gamepad to play Smash but that might just be me

That's the same reason I stick with the GCN controller, that and I find the c-stick placement works better for me when i'm being reactive, i.e. need to spam it quickly without thinking, muscle memory

Dryk

I decided to just stick with the Pro Controller because it gives me consistency across Wii U/3DS/Project M if I need it. That and I only have 5 Gamecube controllers worth of adapters.

By some miracle I managed to grab a gamecube controller adapter when they were up on Amazon. I just couldn't play smash on the pro controller. Maybe I like having the gates for the GC analog stick too much. Feels way too loose on the pro

Should arrive tomorrow so I can finally play the game I bought 2 months ago

Fredescu

If you like the Gamecube button layout but can't get an adapter, there are a few replicas about. I believe the Hori one is considered the best of them: http://www.play-asia.com/wii-u-battle-pad-mario-paOS-13-49-en-70-8esj.html

They plug into the Wiimote and should be compatible with anything that supports the Classic Controller. A lot of games do, I've been using my Classic Controller Pro a lot lately, because I'm too cheap to get a proper Pro Controller.

No analog triggers, but I don't think anything on the Wii or Wii U supports them anyway. You probably couldn't use them in a GCN emulator though, for that reason.

Kritz

Banned
I played through the first episode of Life Is Strange, and I think it has the potential to be the best narrative game yet. It's very similar to Gone Home, but framed more as a Telltale style choice game. It does have a strange timetravel gameplay hook, which I could pass on really, but it's as much a mechanical element as it is a story beat.

Tonally, the game feels like... this is gonna sound weird, but it feels like a short story. Like, a book, made by some obscure author who writes teenage fantasy stuff. And what I mean by that, is that it feels really consistent throughout the episode. The writing style, and the story beats, they all feel like they're of one mind. You know how The Witcher has all this deep seated lore and history because it's based off a fantasy series? Life is Strange feels like someone wrote a book about being a teenager with timetravel, and then someone else is adapting the book into a game.

Who knows if the "season" will wrap up to anything meaningful, but the first episode was incredibly solid, and it feels like this might finally be a narrative game that gets the narrative right. So, I'm excited. Hopefully the release schedule isn't as shocking as Telltale's or the Kentucky Route Zero team.

Kentucky Route Zero has a team? I assumed it was one guy working part time on it while he goes in and out of comas for months at a time.

I'm implying KRZ has been going on foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I want to play it but no way in hell I'm paying until they release the whole thing, been burnt like that before

Quasar

I played through the first episode of Life Is Strange, and I think it has the potential to be the best narrative game yet.

I really liked it. though for some reason I thought of Quantic Dream before telltale.

Practically my only complaint is with sections where the engine let the game down, such as all the raining scenes.

I did find it interesting how they integrated replaying choices (something I normally hate - consider it cheating) into the normal gameplay.

Kritz

Banned
I actually found that I would choose not to replay certain scenes, just to see how the game responded to me. Ever since finishing Mass Effect, I find it really boring to go pure paragon / renegade in choices. And it's nice when the game acknowledges that you were a bit of a dick earlier on, or that you did a nice thing to someone.

I'm glad that the game at least tries to make certain dialogue options ambiguous, where you won't be able to min-max choices to get a perfect ending without using a guide or past knowledge. There are a few moments where it's like, oh okay, the game obviously wants me to prevent this girl getting suckered in the back of the head by a football, but a lot of the major choices feel like they're all in a decent grey area.

:( rooster, pinocchio is a lot more emotional than misaeng or my love from the stars.

episode 12 :( I'm gone. oh god ;_;

when he signs off the news report. oh lord.

christ

then the talk with his brother out side the studio

now telling his father

:( i can't do this.

I know right haha
I couldn't even, shed a tear at some point watching it
kdramas bra

went looking for a sonic amiibo since thats the only one i really want right now. none anyplace. am cry

apparently the local ebgames has a chick who preordered one but this same girl preordered a yoshi back in nov and hasnt picked it up yet soooo the lady said shes pretty confident i can get it next week.

I'm going to the Melb one! anyone going before that (feb 9th) should post impressions and suggestions on who I should go see!
Pond were great, Little Dragon seemed good from the snippet I saw, Jungle were really good, Royal Blood were one of the best live acts I've ever seen and you MUST check them out, Banks was disappointing (love her music but her show felt very lifeless), FKA Twigs had a great stage show that's definitely worth checking out, Vic Mensa was very disappointing, Flight Facilities were amazing (and a certain artist redeemed themself with a cameo there).

I played through the first episode of Life Is Strange, and I think it has the potential to be the best narrative game yet. It's very similar to Gone Home, but framed more as a Telltale style choice game. It does have a strange timetravel gameplay hook, which I could pass on really, but it's as much a mechanical element as it is a story beat.

Tonally, the game feels like... this is gonna sound weird, but it feels like a short story. Like, a book, made by some obscure author who writes teenage fantasy stuff. And what I mean by that, is that it feels really consistent throughout the episode. The writing style, and the story beats, they all feel like they're of one mind. You know how The Witcher has all this deep seated lore and history because it's based off a fantasy series? Life is Strange feels like someone wrote a book about being a teenager with timetravel, and then someone else is adapting the book into a game.

Who knows if the "season" will wrap up to anything meaningful, but the first episode was incredibly solid, and it feels like this might finally be a narrative game that gets the narrative right. So, I'm excited. Hopefully the release schedule isn't as shocking as Telltale's or the Kentucky Route Zero team.
I loved Remember Me and had no idea until today that Dontnod had put a new game out. I'll definitely have to check it out now.

Stackboy

Stan is actually pretty good, though its longevity will be judge by what content they can get. Securing Roadshow was a good move just after launch so we shall see.

Yeah I'm really enjoying the service. Will be interesting to see what gets unvelied when Netflix officially comes to Aus.

I'm going to the Melb one! anyone going before that (feb 9th) should post impressions and suggestions on who I should go see!

I went to Brisbane on the weekend.

Royal Blood - Rocked out hard! Check these guys out for sure.
St Vincent - Really enjoyable, maybe my favourite of the day
Banks - Decent but unremarkable
FKA Twiggs - Definitely worth checking out, one of the highlights
Jonh Hopkins - Best electronic music of the day, easily
Future Islands - Pretty meh
Rustie - Pretty meh
Flying Lotus - Pretty meh

Quasar

Yeah I'm really enjoying the service. Will be interesting to see what gets unvelied when Netflix officially comes to Aus.

And just how weak Netflix Oz is. When does it even launch? I guess not before the Stan free trial runs out.

I'll admit with the falling dollar, the non-terribleness of Stan and the amount of actual use I get from netflix has made me ponder whether to just cancel my Netflix account.

Even better, looks like there is a second Wonder Boy style project on the way. From that thread:

"In fact, I have left my job at Media Molecule a few months ago and with a couple of friends we are independently working on a different Wonder Boy / Monster World related project! I don't know when we will be able to announce it. But I guess this message itself is a bit of an announce! So there might be not one but two games. -- Game Atelier's one is more advanced and will probably be released way before ours! Eager to play it."

Stackboy

And just how weak Netflix Oz is. When does it even launch? I guess not before the Stan free trial runs out.

I'll admit with the falling dollar, the non-terribleness of Stan and the amount of actual use I get from netflix has made me ponder whether to just cancel my Netflix account.

Netflix will launch in the March window, reportedly. I read a news article this morning saying Netflix has acquired the rights to alot of Disney content, which could be a big move.

If both services have good content, I could stay subscribed to both. $20 a month is still a good deal.

Netflix will launch in the March window, reportedly. I read a news article this morning saying Netflix has acquired the rights to alot of Disney content, which could be a big move.

If both services have good content, I could stay subscribed to both. $20 a month is still a good deal.

If its anything like US Netflix and Amazon Prime, both services will likely have an 85% overlap of the same content with some exclusives for each service. Ie, like gaming systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom