• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stackboy

If its anything like US Netflix and Amazon Prime, both services will likely have an 85% overlap of the same content with some exclusives for each service. Ie, like gaming systems.

I'm not sure, it sounds like both services have their fair share of exclusivity deals, but March will reveal all.

senahorse

I have watched one movie on Stan and a couple of tv shows It has a decent, albeit very small library at the moment but that's to be expected.

Though there are two things they need to address:

1)5.1 audio, most if not all is only in stereo
2)Silverlight, I mean really, it should be HTML5

I have watched one movie on Stan and a couple of tv shows It has a decent, albeit very small library at the moment but that's to be expected.

Though there are two things they need to address:

1)5.1 audio, most if not all is only in stereo
2)Silverlight, I mean really, it should be HTML5

If it is anything like Netflix you need the Silverlight to serve 5.1 sound. Have to use the Windows 8 app not the browser to get 5.1 in Netflix.

Quasar

If its anything like US Netflix and Amazon Prime, both services will likely have an 85% overlap of the same content with some exclusives for each service. Ie, like gaming systems.

Well for now at least it seems like Stan and Foxtel have tried to sign up exclusive deals in an attempt to strangle Netflix Oz in its crib. I imagine that will just be short term though as Netflix seems very keen on worldwide deals now.

Quasar

If it is anything like Netflix you need the Silverlight to serve 5.1 sound. Have to use the Windows 8 app not the browser to get 5.1 in Netflix.

I'll have to check and see what the apps and chromecast handle audio.

Though that just reminds me of my frustration with Google Play Movies in Australia. For some reason pretty much all movies they sell are stereo only (unlike say iTunes in Australia). That's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Dear AusGAF,

How does one become good at conversations? I suck at them. I can't start one or continue one, I find I have nothing to say or add to the discussion no matter who I am around.

The same issues happen when I catch up with some of the individuals here. I just suck.

I was out on Saturday afternoon / Evening at a work friends drinks event. There was a small number of people there, Even some girls! Anyway, I barely spoke which is nothing new and attempted to have a conversation with one person only for it to end rather quickly.

So, What can I do to improve my conversational skills. Anyone have any ideas, books, anything that they may have used?

Ta!

Gazunta

ask questions

people love talking about themselves.

Edit: Time for my yearly plugging of:

how-to-win-friends-and-influence-people.jpg

I'd like to think it's the book that changed me from a completely egotistical, arrogant asshole to...well, maybe less egotistical, arrogant asshole. Not for me to say.

Waikis

Dear AusGAF,

How does one become good at conversations? I suck at them. I can't start one or continue one, I find I have nothing to say or add to the discussion no matter who I am around.

The same issues happen when I catch up with some of the individuals here. I just suck.

I was out on Saturday afternoon / Evening at a work friends drinks event. There was a small number of people there, Even some girls! Anyway, I barely spoke which is nothing new and attempted to have a conversation with one person only for it to end rather quickly.

So, What can I do to improve my conversational skills. Anyone have any ideas, books, anything that they may have used?

Ta!

Get on Mumble

Gazunta

Actually give a damn about their responses, and do stuff so you have stuff to talk about.

This is actually a REALLY important part of the whole "get people talking about themselves" thing. Without being able to develop a genuine interest in other people, all the questions in the world will do nothing for anyone.

Seriously.

Develop a real interest in other people.

You're at a party to meet other people, listen to what they have to say.

Ask people questions about themselves/their lives.
Make eye contact regularly during listening/conversation.
Use facial expressions/body language naturally, basically feel relaxed.
Maintain interest in what they are saying so you can make related comments to feed their conversation into continuing (keeps that ball rolling).
Be carefree about the interaction, at the end of the day we all die.

Also law of numbers. The more conversations you have, the better you get. This is 100% true until the day you die.

Stackboy

This is actually a REALLY important part of the whole "get people talking about themselves" thing. Without being able to develop a genuine interest in other people, all the questions in the world will do nothing for anyone.

Seriously.

Develop a real interest in other people.

You're at a party to meet other people, listen to what they have to say.

This pretty much nails it.

Actually give a damn about their responses, and do stuff so you have stuff to talk about.

So how about those wanks and easels?

I have difficulties engaging with total strangers sometimes, but being attentive and putting a bit of effort in usually works. If that fails: alcohol.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Gaz, I tried reading that book you love to plug and I just couldn't stand it. There was something about the way it was presented along with, let's use examples from these 5 historic dudes to get a point across. It just drove me nuts.

I guess the issue is I don't know what questions to follow up with. I was talking to a girl who went on holiday with work girl, I asked her how it was and so on. It was only a quick conversation since it seemed like I had run out of things to ask and some other conversation from someone else entered the picture. I didn't re-engage when there was down time.

I can ask the basic shit but once you get past there I'm totally lost. I can't even come up with questions based on what they were talking about.

Darren870

Dear AusGAF,

Ta!

Talk about things that interests you or talk about experiences. People love talking and hearing about that. Talk about beer, you love that don't you? Try to find someone that has the same interests or hobbies too. Food too. You seem to have some good food recommendations for Melbourne.

I went to the Rainbow Hotel in Fitzroy on Sat to catch up with some friends all they were talking about was beer and I had no idea what they were taking about. Beer was good though!!

Oh and expand on things. Don't just answer a question with a yes or no. That sometimes is my biggest issue.

Ps: I'm up for a pint and a chat any time you're free bud!

Gaz, I tried reading that book you love to plug and I just couldn't stand it. There was something about the way it was presented along with, let's use examples from these 5 historic dudes to get a point across. It just drove me nuts.

I guess the issue is I don't know what questions to follow up with. I was talking to a girl who went on holiday with work girl, I asked her how it was and so on. It was only a quick conversation since it seemed like I had run out of things to ask and some other conversation from someone else entered the picture. I didn't re-engage when there was down time.

I can ask the basic shit but once you get past there I'm totally lost. I can't even come up with questions based on what they were talking about.

Spending time around people who seem more social active in conversations might help, try and soak up some of ways they connect into more discussions.

Diminishing your filter will help too, it might prematurely end some conversations but you do learn from your mistakes. That was a huge thing for me to become more outgoing. Getting out of your own head too.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Dear AusGAF,

Ta!
get out in the deep end brah.

come out with cruncho and I next time.

N0VAM0D

Just bought tickets for Yelle in March! I'm so excited, ahh! I honestly feel like buying tickets for heaps of shows, but I think work will hate me...

My only advice:
Look just below someone's face, but above their cleavage when you're uncomfortable looking at women in the face.

also, alcohol or juice really stings the eyes.

Fusebox

Banned
you just reminded me of this one time I was jumping on the trampoline at night and above me were those trees with the spikey pom poms...

LIKE THIS
list4724.jpg

Liquid Amber tree. I think there's still some scars shaped like that on the bottom of my feet.

Still easier to avoid then bindis though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
My only advice:
Look just below someone's face, but above their cleavage when you're uncomfortable looking at women in the face.

also, alcohol or juice really stings the eyes.

I have no issues looking at girls in the eyes. It's just more the continuing the flow of conversation that I really suck at!

Fredescu

I have no issues looking at girls in the eyes. It's just more the continuing the flow of conversation that I really suck at!

At that point, talk about yourself, while looking for an opportunity to ask another question. So, you've asked the question, gotten the reply, now it's your turn and you can't think of another question, so try to relate their answer to you and share a little bit about yourself and your related thoughts or experiences, and be on the look out for the chance to stop and ask something else. A good conversation isn't an interview but more of a mutual sharing. Do it with everyone, not just hot girls.

I'm pretty awesome at big group conversations when I have lots of stuff to play off. But when it's a one-on-one conversation I can be pretty boring. Shit sucks bros.

Stackboy

Soooooo...

Just had our offer on a house in Ferny Grove accepted!

Eek.

Grats man! Before October of last year I lived in Keperra (I'm assuming you're talking about Brisbane). Nice area, you must be excited!

I have no idea how many more years its going to be until I can afford a house. Now that I'm married I want to own my own house more, but I'm not house crazy like a lot of people are.

In your day to day conversations do you guys talk about video games much? Half my social interactions are with people who are into games and the other half aren't really interested. I don't tend to bring up game talk unless someone else starts it, just because I don't want to alienate people. My wife recently noticed that its not usually me that starts gaming conversations but other people do with me, because they know that is one of my interests.

I have a $100 bet with a friend of mine. He believes that in the next 9 years there won't be another console generation. I think he's wrong. Who do you think will win? I'm feeling pretty confident.

r1chard

I'm awful at conversations with strangers, but I'll try "so, what are you interested in?"

And if that still stops the conversation, then it really had no chance to begin with.

I'm awful at conversations with strangers, but I'll try "so, what are you interested in?"

And if that still stops the conversation, then it really had no chance to begin with.

One of these is right. if you work out the best way to say it, you'll do okay.

"so, what ARE you interested in?"

"so, what are YOU interested in?"

Dryk

Getting kind of sick of my avatar. You guys probably know me better than everyone else on this forum, suggest new ones.

I'm pretty awesome at big group conversations when I have lots of stuff to play off. But when it's a one-on-one conversation I can be pretty boring. Shit sucks bros.
Yeah I like having choice of things to respond to so people don't realise that I'm boring

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
but seriously listening and then asking pertinent questions is king

I am bad in unorganised group discussions. I rarely say anything out of concern I'll start talking when someone else starts and I haven't realized this isn't a big deal yet.

Fredescu

I'm the opposite which is lucky, if there is more than 3 people in a group talking I'm more likely to sit back.

Same.

Learning to let go of that hilarious/poignant thing you thought of but couldn't say because people were talking and the conversation moved on and your thing is no longer relevant was hard work for me.

lexi

Banned
Grats man! Before October of last year I lived in Keperra (I'm assuming you're talking about Brisbane). Nice area, you must be excited!

I have no idea how many more years its going to be until I can afford a house. Now that I'm married I want to own my own house more, but I'm not house crazy like a lot of people are.

In your day to day conversations do you guys talk about video games much? Half my social interactions are with people who are into games and the other half aren't really interested. I don't tend to bring up game talk unless someone else starts it, just because I don't want to alienate people. My wife recently noticed that its not usually me that starts gaming conversations but other people do with me, because they know that is one of my interests.

I have a $100 bet with a friend of mine. He believes that in the next 9 years there won't be another console generation. I think he's wrong. Who do you think will win? I'm feeling pretty confident.

Is it JB that made that bet? He'll lose, Nintendo will release another console.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Talking about myself is going to be impossible, Mostly because I believe i'm dead boring and kinda hate myself.

There's nothing to really talk about, Some games.. Games .. Work .. I dunno, Dumb shit like that.

It's why I never try and bring myself up in a conversation, I can't see it going well!

Gazunta

A trick I sometimes do is to drop some dumb stupid question and see how people react.

BEST '80S MOVIE THEY SHOULD TOTALLY REMAKE GO

cookie you can mention to people that you're fucking far more generous and awesome than people have a right to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom