• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

Of course! You follow me on Twitter, that's half the battle. I'll tweet once it hits. Annoyingly enough a ton of other stuff has hit.
jRPG for Vita.

lol expensive Telltale PS4 bundle double the price of buying the US one

Helldivers which is getting great reviews, tempting as fuck
etc
The fuck with that Telltale pack? From what I can tell, each "season" of each game costs around $25.

Fuck regional pricing and fuck that shit.

Also, I've never heard of Helldivers. Guess I need to do some looking.

$150.95 for the Telltale Collection.

I was looking forward to it when I saw it in the background of a Giant Bomb video for $45 USD with the PS+ discount...

N0VAM0D

Dad's taking the family to go see The Eagles tonight, and I am super excited. I've never been in the seated section at a concert before though, it doesn't seem like it would be that great. I usually always go for GA and make sure I get there super early so I can get on the rail. Should be interesting!

Anyone else going tonight in Sydney?

Gazunta

Novamod, sitting in GA is like life in the fast lane, while the seated section lets you take it easy. I know you're not used to it and you're like the new kid in town, but there'll be heartache tonight if you don't get over it.

Darren870

Dad's taking the family to go see The Eagles tonight, and I am super excited. I've never been in the seated section at a concert before though, it doesn't seem like it would be that great. I usually always go for GA and make sure I get there super early so I can get on the rail. Should be interesting!

Anyone else going tonight in Sydney?

I went to Hanging Rock on Saturday. Really great show!
Though a huge storm came in after 2 songs and the equipment was flying everywhere! They had to pause for about 45 mins till it cleared. Was still great though, they probably only cut a song or two. They said they cut the intermission.

Don't know how Sydney is laid out, but Hanging Rock had GA in the back and Seats in the front.

Darren870

Novamod, sitting in GA is like life in the fast lane, while the seated section lets you take it easy. I know you're not used to it and you're like the new kid in town, but there'll be heartache tonight if you don't get over it.

You should be a news reporter. Those puns were top notch!!!.........

N0VAM0D

You really took that to the limit, Gaz. In the long run, I think it will be a super memorable show, anyway!

I went to Hanging Rock on Saturday. Really great show!
Though a huge storm came in after 2 songs and the equipment was flying everywhere! They had to pause for about 45 mins till it cleared. Was still great though, they probably only cut a song or two. They said they cut the intermission.

Don't know how Sydney is laid out, but Hanging Rock had GA in the back and Seats in the front.

Hahaha, that's insane! Glad to know you enjoyed it and that they continued to play despite everything, I'm sure that they wouldn't deliver anything but a fantastic show.

I'm pretty sure it's an entirely seated event in a big arena, and my family is somewhere sort of on the side. Front row tickets are around $900, so we opted for something MUCH cheaper, hahah.

Darren870

You really took that to the limit, Gaz. In the long run, I think it will be a super memorable show, anyway!

Hahaha, that's insane! Glad to know you enjoyed it and that they continued to play despite everything, I'm sure that they wouldn't deliver anything but a fantastic show.

I'm pretty sure it's an entirely seated event in a big arena, and my family is somewhere sort of on the side. Front row tickets are around $900, so we opted for something MUCH cheaper, hahah.

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if it was all seated. We saw Sting & Paul Simon a few weeks back and that was all seated.

They said front row at Hanging rock was $1000. Funny thing was that was where the stage overhang ended, so all the excess water just poured down onto front row....all night... Really got their moneys worth!!

Oh, and I'll let you know my overall impressions once you see the show tonight. I know they had to cut out a bit of stuff for us, but I've kinda read over what I missed.

N0VAM0D

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised if it was all seated. We saw Sting & Paul Simon a few weeks back and that was all seated.

They said front row at Hanging rock was $1000. Funny thing was that was where the stage overhang ended, so all the excess water just poured down onto front row....all night... Really got their moneys worth!!

Oh, and I'll let you know my overall impressions once you see the show tonight. I know they had to cut out a bit of stuff for us, but I've kinda read over what I missed.

Surely the people in the front would have been reimbursed at least a little?

And yes, do! I'll report back afterward!

Hey guys if I have shitty digital tv reception is there anything I can do to improve it? We get SBS but every other channel is like a glitchy slideshow, and we can't even find ABC :(

SBS is all you need :p

I had the opposite problem a while back (SBS reception was glitchy and awful) and it turns out the trees around our house were semi-blocking the antenna. They just popped a few bricks underneath and it was all good. Might be a similar issue for you?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sbs for if you are the one and tour de france
What ever network the football's on for the football
And ten for the f1s.
And nine for the cricket.

I like how all of them are starting to not be a thing.

The Giant

Banned
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...oposed-threestrikes-rule-20150220-13kc2c.html

Well then, looks like the 3 strike rule for illegal downloading will take affect from sept 1. If it get passed in the Senate. If it does, time to use a paid vpn service.

This is such a waste of taxpayers money. There are ways to get around it.

Why would anyone wanna keep watching shows/movies in sd, when they can download hd versions of it. Since networks don't air anything in hd.

I hate this backwards arse governments.

markot

Banned
Him, the fact that there are ways around a law isn't really an argument against the law.

Also, basing a law of baseball is unaustralian.

It should be 6 and out, like cricket. Backyard cricket but still.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So, download shit until you get your first notice, download for another 14 days, get another notice, download for another 7 days, stop.

Should be enough there to watch for 12 months?

markot

Banned
So, download shit until you get your first notice, download for another 14 days, get another notice, download for another 7 days, stop.

Should be enough there to watch for 12 months?
And then the next season of community starts and yahoo is blocking Australia? Then what!?

N0VAM0D

Oh, and I'll let you know my overall impressions once you see the show tonight.

Just catching the train home now.

It was phenomenal, honestly. The Eagles have such a distinct, memorable sound and their musicianship is spectacular. I really really enjoyed it. Can't pick a favourite moment, it was all so good! I wish that they'd played New York Minute, but overall I was super satisfied with the pieces they decided to play. Joe Walsh was especially hilarious, and I loved it when they played one of his songs and he did his thing (I can't remember the name, though).

What did you think?

Darren870

Just catching the train home now.

It was phenomenal, honestly. The Eagles have such a distinct, memorable sound and their musicianship is spectacular. I really really enjoyed it. Can't pick a favourite moment, it was all so good! I wish that they'd played New York Minute, but overall I was super satisfied with the pieces they decided to play. Joe Walsh was especially hilarious, and I loved it when they played one of his songs and he did his thing (I can't remember the name, though).

What did you think?

Yea yea, it was definitely a great show!

I never was really a huge eagles fan growing up. I was about 20 and was in Japan and the driver I had for the day just wouldn't stop playing the eagles all day. From that I started getting into them a lot.

I really really liked the whole story telling of the show and giving the history of the eagles. Thought that was really cool and unique. That being said...

They introduced everyone but Joe Walsh. He just came out and then 5 songs later they said "oh and here is Joe Walsh" which was very very odd. I thought maybe it was just my show, but read a review for the other Sydney show and it was the same there too.

They also don't even mention Don Felder. Who was such an important part of Hotel California. Hell he even wrote most of that title song. I might be a bit biased because Felder used to go on Howard Stern a lot (which I listened to everyday), but come on...not even a mention? Basically I think Don Henley and Glenn Frey have a stick soo far up their ass they have lost sense of reality.

But band beef aside, the show was excellent and it was great how they did it. Walsh looked out of it, but apparently he has been sober for 10 years now. He missed a few beats and lyrics but only a few noticed it. Could just be old age :)

Great show though, much better then Paul Simon from a few weeks ago. Sting put him to shame though.

Stackboy

So anyone else getting Helldivers?

I'm ready to jump in but you can see you get so much more out of it as an MP experience.

I might grab it eventually, when it's cheap.

10 minutes before Foo Fighters started some guy decided to fight a security guard.

$150 wasted by him

Stay classy Australia!!

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...oposed-threestrikes-rule-20150220-13kc2c.html

Well then, looks like the 3 strike rule for illegal downloading will take affect from sept 1. If it get passed in the Senate. If it does, time to use a paid vpn service.

This is such a waste of taxpayers money. There are ways to get around it.

Why would anyone wanna keep watching shows/movies in sd, when they can download hd versions of it. Since networks don't air anything in hd.

I hate this backwards arse governments.

Anyone with half a brain is going to be able to dodge this.

And then the next season of community starts and yahoo is blocking Australia? Then what!?

Subscribe to Stan. $10 a month, comes out the same day as it airs on Yahoo. No excuse really.

I'm really excited about MS announcing cross-buy capabilities between Xbone and Windows 10, since I like playing console and PC games.

Lexi, who posts here on a semi-regular basis, got permabanned. She won't be creating a new account, she doesn't think. I'm catching up with her on Saturday.

jambo

OmkTwT5.png

Great news, now I have a reason to buy some of those controllers next time they are on sale. Will the adapter be sold separately?

The announcement implied that it would not just be for XBO controllers but other wireless xbo accessories too. And yeah sold separately, I'd be surprised if they even bundled it.

legend166

Can someone explain to me the actual issue they have with the 3-strike law that doesn't have its genesis in "I like pirating things and I don't want to stop"?

It's not 2005 any more. Pretty much everything is available for a reasonable price when you throw in geo-blocking work arounds. If you've got enough technological nous to pirate you've got enough technological nous to use Getflix. There's Netflix, Stan, Presto, Amazon Prime, Spotify, Google All Access, Steam, etc.

And "People will find a way around this" isn't a good reason not to implement a law. Drug smugglers find their way through Customs too. These laws are never meant to stop those dudes downloading the entire internet to a server in France.

I know this word has been misused a lot, especially by people in the gaming industry, but man is there a more entitled group of people than pirates?

Can someone explain to me the actual issue they have with the 3-strike law that doesn't have its genesis in "I like pirating things and I don't want to stop"?
In other countries, people have been given strikes when there is no valid proof they have done the things in question. Sometimes it's other people on their internet connection, sometimes their computer has been hacked in some manner, sometimes they've done the wrong thing and use no proof as an excuse.

Basically, it's akin to shouting "witch!" and if two others do it, proof be damned, then you're burned... internet-wise.

It's been tried in other countries, and it's been a failure in most of them. The highest profile is France, which has abandoned their three strikes rule. I'm not sure how much different it was to ours, though.

I sure as hell don't trust the copyright holders with having the power to shut off people's Internet connections.

Edit: Also, it (HADOPI, France's three strikes law) apparently didn't reduce or deter piracy.

Dead Man

So, Lexi has been permed from GAF. She sounds okay with it, but I will miss her input.

Fake edit: Already posted I see, but at the bottom of a post. Fuck it, posting again.

Fredescu

I sure as hell don't trust the copyright holders with having the power to shut off people's Internet connections.

Fairly sure the current one under consideration doesn't give them this power. After three strikes, the ISP will identify you and provide your details to the rights holder who can then take you to court. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fairly sure the current one under consideration doesn't give them this power. After three strikes, the ISP will identify you and provide your details to the rights holder who can then take you to court. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah, I've only read a couple of articles on The Age website, so I'm not sure of the specifics. I don't know whether it's disconnections, or fines, or lawsuits, or a combination of all of them.

I'm just pointing out that similar approaches have never really been successful (financially or as deterrents) - and it's in the entertainment industry's interest to provide better, cheaper, and more flexible services instead of harassing what are supposed to be their customers.

Dead Man

It's not 2005 any more. Pretty much everything is available for a reasonable price when you throw in geo-blocking work arounds. If you've got enough technological nous to pirate you've got enough technological nous to use Getflix. There's Netflix, Stan, Presto, Amazon Prime, Spotify, Google All Access, Steam, etc.

And "People will find a way around this" isn't a good reason not to implement a law. Drug smugglers find their way through Customs too. These laws are never meant to stop those dudes downloading the entire internet to a server in France.

I know this word has been misused a lot, especially by people in the gaming industry, but man is there a more entitled group of people than pirates?
People finding a way around it is a good reason not use a particular enforcement scheme. If it is a waste of money and does not achieve its desired effect, it is not worth doing. This is one of those things. Also, as already posted, it is a bit fucked in terms of burden of proof since it is only a civil enforcement. Which is stupid.

What happened?

Basic personality clash it sounds like, no post in particular was given.

Quasar

Well some of those services are a bit iffy to use if you have to break user agreements to get access.

Plus not all content is even available on those. I know I'm forced to import CDs from Japan (or pirate) because no streaming or download service offers the content simply because I live in Australia.

Probably more of an issue is the copyright industry making spurious claims, just like the do on youtube with contentid.

Bernbaum

Pretty much. Netflix has a big chunk of the content I watch and I'll consider a second service like HBO Go/Stan once those services and Aussie Netflix come fully online. On the off chance certain content isn't available from those outlets, its usually on iTunes. I don't have the time to rewatch media these days (unless it's Jurassic Park or Ratatouille). I still pirate stuff but that's usually obscure overseas documentaries. I have no moral quandary with pirating certain media if there is no other viable means of procuring that media. Would say, copyrighted material from the BBC be trackable with this new policy? Oh, and I pirated the finale of Breaking Bad despite having pre-purchased the whole season on iTunes because I absolutely could not wait to see how that ended but that was before I got Netflix.

Steam Link is the most impressive thing out of GDC. Hope SteamOS gets a lot of app support.

Large increase in costs forced upon ISP's to track and do all this shit which will be passed onto customers.

False positives. Read Wikipedia to see examples of it in other countries. Will be a fucking shit show for some businesses and lead to increased costs for them as every employee will also now need to be tracked in case they google 'Dallas Buyers Club leak'.

It's again a kneejerk reaction to introduce more and more red tape rather than fix the problem. If you think this will fix the problem you are living in a cloud of pure blissful oblivion.

Great news, now I have a reason to buy some of those controllers next time they are on sale. Will the adapter be sold separately?
I'd expect similar to last time, bundle and separate at launch. Controllers cost fuck all to make so they will want to pimp them out as much as possible again.

Sucks it's late 2015 rather than early. Really expected a dongle to be out a long time ago.

Lexi, who posts here on a semi-regular basis, got permabanned. She won't be creating a new account, she doesn't think. I'm catching up with her on Saturday.

RIP Lexi. NeoGAF ain't what it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom