• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

i'm curious too. Doing a quick search the only adsl modems/routers with a openvpn client seem to be the expensive soho ones, like the dlink viper and the asus Ac-68u.

I imagine I'll just cheap out and run a client on my pc, even if that just shields my pc rather than my whole network from brandis's eves dropping.

Bay Trail board, extra NIC and wifi card will surely do the trick. Though if I were to buy some new hardware now it'd probably be the APU from PC Engines, which replaces the ALIX board I currently use (size, hardware crypto, low power consumption and zero noise are a big plus). A Bay Trail board would definitely be more flexible and you could probably run a few things on a VM, to put it to some good use. This is in the same league price-wise as those pricier routers, but the firmware/OS it'd run is much more capable and robust.

Otherwise, you might be able to grab something cheaper and throw Tomato or DD-WRT firmware on it or something. I haven't kept up with either of them lately, mind. As you said, there's always the option of just using PC software supported by the VPN provider—it's simple and can be done on phones and tablets in most instances too.

There's a plethora of VPN providers out there, and sifting through them is no simple task. One of them that seems likely to get my dollars is Private Internet Access, for what that's worth.

Quasar

Otherwise, you might be able to grab something cheaper and throw Tomato or DD-WRT firmware on it or something. I haven't kept up with either of them lately, mind. As you said, there's always the option of just using PC software supported by the VPN provider—it's simple and can be done on phones and tablets in most instances too.

Yeah. I'd put it on my existing one if I could (its an old Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn).

There's a plethora of VPN providers out there, and sifting through them is no simple task. One of them that seems likely to get my dollars is Private Internet Access, for what that's worth.

Yeah. So many of them. I did find this survey recently that seems useful.

http://torrentfreak.com/anonymous-vpn-service-provider-review-2015-150228/

Darren870

Brisbane. It rarely goes into single digits and even then that's overnight. If its windy. You still get occasional spikes to 30 at the end of winter.

Sydney gets a fair bit colder. Melbourne is fucking miserable. In winter. Ahem.

Pfht, Melbourne winter is light. I didn't even break out any of my winter coats that I had to wear when living in London, or even worse New York. I wore my London spring jacket the whole time. It only gets under 10 at night I'd say.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Brisbane. It rarely goes into single digits and even then that's overnight. If its windy. You still get occasional spikes to 30 at the end of winter.

Sydney gets a fair bit colder. Melbourne is fucking miserable. In winter. Ahem.

Brisbane was my original idea. It's a fairly short trip from Gold Coast as well so that makes relocating a lot easier.

So my power just went out and I went looking to see if it was a planed outage. Go to a website put on postcode. Your suburb is both company a amd b. Go to a's website. Not us its company b. B's website. Nope not us its a.
good job power companies. Just blame every one else untill we leave you alone.

Fredescu

Fredmart is selling another batch of games.

Dragon Quest: Chapters of the Chosen (DQ4) - DS
Dragon Quest: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DQ5) - DS - new in shrink wrap
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Wii
F-Zero GX - Gamecube
Killer 7 - Gamecube
Gunstar Future Heroes - GBA - new in shrink wrap
Sigma Star Saga - GBA - new in shrink wrap

Also still have:

Baten Kaitos Origins - Gamecube NTSC
Skies of Arcadia: Legends - Gamecube NTSC
Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty collectors edition - PC - new in shrink wrap

Wait? There are scrums in League now?

I thought it was just a way of gathering all the pigs in one place so the pretty boys could have one play to run at each other without much chance of getting hurt.

I liken them to a gathering where people lean on each other for a few seconds.

Fredescu

I thought it was just a way of gathering all the pigs in one place so the pretty boys could have one play to run at each other without much chance of getting hurt.

In theory it's nice to have a tackle that the forwards are removed from that lets the backs spread out a bit. In practice, it's the first tackle, so most coaches instruct them to take no risks and just take the tackle rather than throw it around a bit and take advantage of the temporarily disorganised defense. Also I think your forwards = pigs, backs = pretty boys language is <something less inflammatory than I originally wrote>.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
If you haven't been banned you are not posting right.

For some reason people think I am argumentative and possibly a bit rude when confronted with stupidity.

ive been banned 4 times

one was self requested

one was for using the g word

one was for suggesting users PM a mod to request updates to their gaf Gold

one was for something i now forget

Dryk

I don't think I've ever been banned from a forum. I got a warning on the Escapist once for low content posting once, but that was it.

Stackboy

Not unless your xbox connects to the Internet through your pc. You would be best setting up a vpn connection through your router if it has the option.

However you don't need a VPN just a DNS/Proxy service, like Getflix and then use the DNS server addresses on your Xbox or your router.

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Anyway, Guy Sebastian is our Eurovision entrant.

So its even more bad then anyone could have imagined, and not in a campy Eurovision way.

The fact that it isn't Uncle Arthur is a slap in the face to Europe.

I'll still tune in, but expecting Australia to be a major embarrassment.

I'm thinking of leaving Gold Coast in mid April and I'm currently open for suggestions on where I should go next. With greater priority given on places where I'm more likely to get contract/temp jobs in marketing, writing, and/or web development. That and someplace that doesn't get cold in winter.

Come to Brisbane, I'll show you around. Let me know if you need advice on decent suburbs for rentals.

Shaneus

Only thing that sucks about Jackie Chan movies on DVD is that the subtitles don't look the same as the SBS ones. I'm so conditioned to watching non-English JC movies with them adorning my screen, it doesn't feel right otherwise.

Quasar

Only thing that sucks about Jackie Chan movies on DVD is that the subtitles don't look the same as the SBS ones. I'm so conditioned to watching non-English JC movies with them adorning my screen, it doesn't feel right otherwise.

For Bruce Lee and the old Chan films I'm just used to dubs, as I guess thats all I had back when I first saw them. Same with various other old martial arts type films.

jambo

Does anyone happen to have a copy of Quake 4 for XBox 360? I've been trying to track down a copy that has the bonus disc with Quake II as it runs at 1080p 60fps and has splitscreen mp and co-op modes.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of Quake 4 for XBox 360? I've been trying to track down a copy that has the bonus disc with Quake II as it runs at 1080p 60fps and has splitscreen mp and co-op modes.

Pretty sure I've got a copy somewhere, I think it was from the GAME closing down sale ages ago. I'll let you know if I find it.

legend166

It's that time again: PC Builds!

My father in law needs a new PC. He only needs it for browsing, fantasy sports and streaming things.

This is what I got so far:

Case (with power supply): Antec VSK4-500 $87
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-PRO4 $95
CPU: Intel CORE i5-4460 3.2GHz 6MB LGA1150 $250
RAM: G.Skill DDR3-2133 (2X4GB) 8GB Dual Channel $102
HDD: WesternDigital 1TB 64M CAVIAR BLUE $78
SSD: Intel SSD 530 Series - 120GB $111
Monitor: SAMSUNG 21.5in LED $135

Total: $858.

The prices are from ARC. I think it looks okay, although I'm wondering if the i5 is overkill. However they keep their PCs for a looooong time so I figure better safe than sorry.

For Bruce Lee and the old Chan films I'm just used to dubs, as I guess thats all I had back when I first saw them. Same with various other old martial arts type films.

:(

I enjoy watching them with subtitles. Dubs don't work for me. I remember watching a ton of Chan flicks on sbs during high school. Great times.

Shaneus

I enjoy watching them with subtitles. Dubs don't work for me. I remember watching a ton of Chan flicks on sbs during high school. Great times.
This dude look familiar?
7JYvjiG.jpg

I remember going nuts taping a shitload of Jackie Chan movies onto tape during a particular marathon. The signal was shithouse so it didn't really look that good, but I still had one or two movies to every video (because it was pre-SBS ads).

Memories <3

I hate to break it to you but even in their original languages a lot of older action films are still heavily dubbed (ie using very little, if any, dialogue or sound recorded on set).
At least the accents match.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
what in the living shit are you guys saying to get banned?
I have never been banned.

My GAF account will be 8 years old this year (where the FUCK did the time go) and I've yet to be banned.

From my 17 years of using forums, I understand that it takes effort to get banned. And I'm just lazy. Except that one time I provoked the mods of an old RPGMaker forum to get banned and therefore martyred for a cause (long story).

Come to Brisbane, I'll show you around. Let me know if you need advice on decent suburbs for rentals.

I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm scoping out some temp/contract jobs in both Gold Coast and Brisbane.

It's that time again: PC Builds!

My father in law needs a new PC. He only needs it for browsing, fantasy sports and streaming things.

This is what I got so far:

Case (with power supply): Antec VSK4-500 $87
Motherboard: ASRock B85M-PRO4 $95
CPU: Intel CORE i5-4460 3.2GHz 6MB LGA1150 $250
RAM: G.Skill DDR3-2133 (2X4GB) 8GB Dual Channel $102
HDD: WesternDigital 1TB 64M CAVIAR BLUE $78
SSD: Intel SSD 530 Series - 120GB $111
Monitor: SAMSUNG 21.5in LED $135

Total: $858.

The prices are from ARC. I think it looks okay, although I'm wondering if the i5 is overkill. However they keep their PCs for a looooong time so I figure better safe than sorry.

Unless he's going to be downloading a whole bunch of stuff, that 1TB drive is overkill. Invest in a 256-512GB SSD and it will be a better experience.

Also go for an M-ITX motherboard and then get a smaller case to go with it. With the lack of a graphics card and mechanical hard drive, the power draw should be under 200w.

markot

Banned
This dude look familiar?
7JYvjiG.jpg

I remember going nuts taping a shitload of Jackie Chan movies onto tape during a particular marathon. The signal was shithouse so it didn't really look that good, but I still had one or two movies to every video (because it was pre-SBS ads).

Memories <3

At least the accents match.
Those were the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom