• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
3Cbdz6M.png

Fuck yes.

The fuck. The wife said tickets go on sale on the 10th! Her friend has talked her into getting tickets, so expensive o_O

Fredescu

Large increase in costs forced upon ISP's to track and do all this shit which will be passed onto customers.

You might be confusing this with metadata retention? The rights holders pay (or contribute) for the notification system in a lot of cases overseas. I don't think we know who's going to foot the bill here, but ISPs haven't been publicly complaining about bearing the costs (while they have been for metadata retention).

Dylan Moran tickets.

You might be confusing this with metadata retention? The rights holders pay (or contribute) for the notification system in a lot of cases overseas. I don't think we know who's going to foot the bill here, but ISPs haven't been publicly complaining about bearing the costs (while they have been for metadata retention).
How does the 3 strike system work then? I assume the ISP has to track your activity and then have someone send you letters but only in certain periods. Something like a one month gap between infractions?
Wouldn't that cost money? Sounds like a better excuse to raise prices than the other bullshit reasons they have used in the past.

Also on that note Fred why the fuck did my electric and gas bills go up? The carbon tax is gone, this makes no fucking sense >_<

Fredescu

Wouldn't that cost money? Sounds like a better excuse to raise prices than the other bullshit reasons they have used in the past.

Yeah it costs money, but in the UK for eg the rights holders give the ISPs a bunch of money to pay for the implementation and maintenance of the system.

Also on that note Fred why the fuck did my electric and gas bills go up? The carbon tax is gone, this makes no fucking sense >_<

Because the carbon tax is gone. Pretty sure gas is a cartel in Australia. Like export prices are way lower than what we pay locally. http://www.smh.com.au/business/comm...y-to-stiff-gas-consumers-20150220-13keaa.html

Large increase in costs forced upon ISP's to track and do all this shit which will be passed onto customers.
The code has no mention of rights holders having to pay anything to submit a notice (it does mention that rights holders and ISPs will share the cost somehow, but doesn't go into more detail), but the end customers have to pay to challenge the notice (sure, it's refunded if proven to be correct, but why don't rights holders have to pay with the same condition?). If you don't have to pay per notice, why not just send out a shit ton and hope some stick?

You're assumed to be guilty and have to then prove why you're not.

The account holder is the one the rights holders go after, regardless of who actually infringed. Some kid hacks into your wireless or your computer, which is unprotected because you don't understand that stuff? Too bad. You wanted to provide an open wireless node for the community? Better hope no one does anything untoward.

There's no explanation on how far apart / how close the notices can be. So, sharing three torrents at the same time? Bam, you're done. Time to go to court and pay up because your teenage kid wanted some shitty music to fit in with his friends.

Now, I don't have a better approach to this, but I don't think this has been particularly-well thought through (except by the rights holders, who are probably rubbing their hands with glee).

Because the carbon tax is gone. Pretty sure gas is a cartel in Australia. Like export prices are way lower than what we pay locally. http://www.smh.com.au/business/comm...y-to-stiff-gas-consumers-20150220-13keaa.html
Well shit, how do we stop the cartels? They used to get the cops onto them in the bad days didn't they? Is it vigilante justice time ala classic Jackie Chan movies?

iiNets main argument is that it's "heavy handed" which is true really. You're basically sending accusatory letters to your customers.
Plus with stamps rising to $1 it's going to start costing a butt load of money to send those point letters out to unhappy customers!

The code has no mention of rights holders having to pay anything to submit a notice (it does mention that rights holders and ISPs will share the cost somehow, but doesn't go into more detail), but the end customers have to pay to challenge the notice (sure, it's refunded if proven to be correct, but why don't rights holders have to pay with the same condition?). If you don't have to pay per notice, why not just send out a shit ton and hope some stick?

You're assumed to be guilty and have to then prove why you're not.

The account holder is the one the rights holders go after, regardless of who actually infringed. Some kid hacks into your wireless or your computer, which is unprotected because you don't understand that stuff? Too bad. You wanted to provide an open wireless node for the community? Better hope no one does anything untoward.

There's no explanation on how far apart / how close the notices can be. So, sharing three torrents at the same time? Bam, you're done. Time to go to court and pay up because your teenage kid wanted some shitty music to fit in with his friends.

Now, I don't have a better approach to this, but I don't think this has been particularly-well thought through (except by the rights holders, who are probably rubbing their hands with glee).

Nah they noted the space between notices, should be in one of the articles on it. I think it was 4 weeks between infractions to give the user time to rehabilitate themselves.

Fredescu

Lexi is lurking, she said she's really going to miss Ausgaf.

You know, if you let her post the occasional message on your account, she won't even have to identify herself. We'll know from the ever-so-slightly-more-forthright-than-Stackboy tone. Not that I would condone breaking the ToS in any way.

Danoss

Are you saying all remotes are cheap danoss? Or just foxtel?

Because I can't say I've ever had a broken remote for anything... heck even foxtel when we had it for 5 years.

Besides Foxtel, no other remote has had any issues, well, ever. Our Foxtel remote has been replaced 2 or 3 times now. Last time was when I got the non-genuine one and it's been solid ever since.

What the fuck are you guys doing with your remotes?

Using them like any other remote. Pressing buttons every now and then.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is the most visited page on Foxtel's website.

At the above link, they should add this to step 2: "You'll eventually need to do this once a day. When the time comes that you're re-inserting batteries multiple times per day, remote control failure is imminent". And this to step 3: "This won't do anything, it's never the batteries. Skip straight to step 4 where your request will be denied or ignored, then proceed to your nearest shopping centre and pay to replace our sub-par equipment".

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...oposed-threestrikes-rule-20150220-13kc2c.html

Well then, looks like the 3 strike rule for illegal downloading will take affect from sept 1. If it get passed in the Senate. If it does, time to use a paid vpn service.

This is such a waste of taxpayers money. There are ways to get around it.

Why would anyone wanna keep watching shows/movies in sd, when they can download hd versions of it. Since networks don't air anything in hd.

I hate this backwards arse governments.

It's great when the many avenues other countries are afforded to legally acquire content aren't provided to us, but they'll gladly prosecute those that procure it by other means. Further demonstration of companies wanting all the benefits of a global economy while refusing to operate in a way which offers their customers the same.

Instead of the Australian government telling them to stop being dicks to its citizens, they offer to help. Typical.

I'm on the hunt for a decent VPN provider now. My current router runs monowall, which recently declared itself EOL. The only viable VPN service it has is IPSec, so now the hunt begins for a suitable replacement with OpenVPN for more utility.

Nah they noted the space between notices, should be in one of the articles on it. I think it was 4 weeks between infractions to give the user time to rehabilitate themselves.
The only thing I saw in the code that I linked earlier was this:

An ISP does not have to accept a further request for a Final
Notice List from a Rights Holder within one month from the making
of such a request by that Rights Holder to that ISP.

That seems to mean that an ISP only sends through a list of people sent Final Notices once a month. There was no mention in the code that I could find about time between notices, though it certainly would be sensible to allow some time.

Shaneus

The fuck. The wife said tickets go on sale on the 10th! Her friend has talked her into getting tickets, so expensive o_O
Prerelease. Tickets >1 were gone within 15 minutes, last I checked single ones were still available.

So pissed, thought I'd nabbed second-row tickets but people can still steal them if you're entering the captcha. Not fucking happy. But got row L, so that's still alright :)

Great news, now I have a reason to buy some of those controllers next time they are on sale.
Likewise, though I'm already kinda stocked up with 360 controllers and wireless dongles.

Stackboy

You know, if you let her post the occasional message on your account, she won't even have to identify herself. We'll know from the ever-so-slightly-more-forthright-than-Stackboy tone. Not that I would condone breaking the ToS in any way.

Maybe she's just my alt already, or vice versa? Hmmmmmmm?

I like Tunnelbear, myself, but that's mainly because it's got a goddamn bear on it

Can you use tunnelbear to trick your xbone into getting US Netflix?

The only thing I saw in the code that I linked earlier was this:

That seems to mean that an ISP only sends through a list of people sent Final Notices once a month. There was no mention in the code that I could find about time between notices, though it certainly would be sensible to allow some time.

Here's the article I read yesterday

ISPs will be forced to keep track of customers' IP addresses and be obligated to issue an escalating series of warnings to those accused of illicitly downloading movies and TV shows.

Account holders accused of infringing copyright will be issued an Education, Warning and Final notice, which do not need to relate to works owned by the same rights holder. Notices must be issued within seven days of the infringement and subsequent notices must be at least 14 days apart, to give the accused time to change their ways after receiving the previous notice.

If an account holder is issued an Education, Warning and Final notice all within 12 months their ISP will, on the request of a rights holder, "facilitate an expedited preliminary discovery process". In other words, after three strikes in a year your ISP will be expected to hand over your contact details via the courts without a fight

Ahh yes, you're right:

Quarantine Period
means a 14 day period following the issue of an Education Notice or Warning Notice to an Account Holder, during which subsequent Infringement Reports pertaining to that Account Holder do not result in further notices being sent to that Account Holder. (If a Rights Holder decides to commence legal action against an Account Holder, the Rights Holder may rely on any alleged infringements including those that were detected during any quarantine period.)

senahorse

Maybe she's just my alt already, or vice versa? Hmmmmmmm?

Can you use tunnelbear to trick your xbone into getting US Netflix?

Not unless your xbox connects to the Internet through your pc. You would be best setting up a vpn connection through your router if it has the option.

However you don't need a VPN just a DNS/Proxy service, like Getflix and then use the DNS server addresses on your Xbox or your router.

markot

Banned
Careful guys, you cant talk about that stuff. Keep smiling and don't forget the borscht.

Anyway, Guy Sebastian is our Eurovision entrant.

So its even more bad then anyone could have imagined, and not in a campy Eurovision way.

The fact that it isn't Uncle Arthur is a slap in the face to Europe.

Quasar

I'm on the hunt for a decent VPN provider now. My current router runs monowall, which recently declared itself EOL. The only viable VPN service it has is IPSec, so now the hunt begins for a suitable replacement with OpenVPN for more utility.

i'm curious too. Doing a quick search the only adsl modems/routers with a openvpn client seem to be the expensive soho ones, like the dlink viper and the asus Ac-68u.

I imagine I'll just cheap out and run a client on my pc, even if that just shields my pc rather than my whole network from brandis's eves dropping.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm thinking of leaving Gold Coast in mid April and I'm currently open for suggestions on where I should go next. With greater priority given on places where I'm more likely to get contract/temp jobs in marketing, writing, and/or web development. That and someplace that doesn't get cold in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom