• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 11 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

started playing pinball last night, still got the base table and I'm going to wait for a sale to grab the rest.

GR5TBhN.png

I don't think I'm ever going to get anywhere close to 330M~ :(

Dryk

The big bummer for me is that iinet was the one isp that supported the public good in terms of policy issues (copyright, metadata, filters) publicly. Is that voice now gone? Where does tpg even stand on these issues?
Another thing to note is that TPG, iiNet, Internode and Adam have all merged in the space of a few years which is awful for diversity

Quasar

Another thing to note is that TPG, iiNet, Internode and Adam have all merged in the space of a few years which is awful for diversity

Yeah. Hence my tpg, telstra, optus comment

With this one, it seems they are pushing the geographically complementary argument in defense of less competition.

Sure iinet is WA centred, and internode SA centred, but I wonder how much truth to that there is in terms of customer bases.

Darren870

Heh. I still use exetel. Mostly on price and inertia grounds.

I use Dodo for everything actually. Gas, Electric, Internet and some other random things. I've negotiated so hard with them that I have free internet for 6 months (which is usually $60 - Unlimited) and numerous Electric and Gas credits.

They actually are pretty cheap. Not like the internet is going to get any faster on ADSL2+ with anyone else.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Dear Shaneus,

I'm glad you have taken the role of Hobo Beard from myself. It looks excellent.

Regards,

Ex-Hobo Beard holder.

N0VAM0D

this thread moves so fast q4tuifalsnjdkagfnjak (I haven't had heaps of time for GAF lately)

I'm guessing some of you guys have played The Evil Within? I started it recently and I'm up to the part where
I have to open the gate in the village with the doctor guy
, and I think it's fun enough so far! That being said, I dunno if it's just me, but the controls feel super clunky. And I really need to get used to noticing the
fucking PROXIMITY MINES FUCK

Also, Happy Birthday Megadrive!

HowZatOZ

Banned
I tossed a ball of paper into my desk bin without looking, does that mean I should go buy scratchies?

I really hope TPG buying iiNet doesn't fuck Internode up. They have everything going for them with proper customer support, the ability to tweak line profiles and overall not sucking.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Tpg support are the worst fucking thing.

Like I didn't know it was possible to hire a bunch of Indians to do that poor a job. But some how they've cobbled together the most useless people in all of India and employed them to answer phones and appear as if everything they should know about Tpg doesn't exist.

Darren870

Tpg support are the worst fucking thing.

Like I didn't know it was possible to hire a bunch of Indians to do that poor a job. But some how they've cobbled together the most useless people in all of India and employed them to answer phones and appear as if everything they should know about Tpg doesn't exist.

You must not work in IT. I actually hate this job now because of dealing with outsourcing idiots....

Constantly dealing with idiots who have no clue. I've been here for like an extra 2 hours now deal with these idiots trying to set up a basic filter.

sigh....

Bishop89

shit, we got netflix already?

just noticed the icon on my ps3 home screen

Edit: Bah, its not even available 'send me an email' once it becomes available.

senahorse

You must not work in IT. I actually hate this job now because of dealing with outsourcing idiots....

Constantly dealing with idiots who have no clue. I've been here for like an extra 2 hours now deal with these idiots trying to set up a basic filter.

sigh....

I know those feels. Recent dealings with F5, Cisco, Infoblox and Palo Alto have all been horrible. You pay a crapload of maintenance to these companies only to get some of the worst support imaginable.

Darren870

I know those feels. Recent dealings with F5, Cisco, Infoblox and Palo Alto have all been horrible. You pay a crapload of maintenance to these companies only to get some of the worst support imaginable.

2 hours now and we are just figuring out how to set up a tcpdump. Mine has been running since the call started :(

I don't understand how companies think that by outsourcing you save money when all you constantly are doing is losing time. Fair enough with an internet provider or some telcom. But your own stuff? I'm on 1.5x right now while they are trying to figure out how to do this.

I just want a fucking beer.

2 hours now and we are just figuring out how to set up a tcpdump. Mine has been running since the call started :(

I don't understand how companies think that by outsourcing you save money when all you constantly are doing is losing time. Fair enough with an internet provider or some telcom. But your own stuff? I'm on 1.5x right now while they are trying to figure out how to do this.

Work is outsourcing 80% of their IT to India, should be interesting.

Darren870

Work is outsourcing 80% of their IT to India, should be interesting.

Totally understand the thought process behind it. Cut everyone getting paid $40+ an hour and replace them with TWO people at $5 an hour. 2 for 1 and $30 profit!

What they don't take in account is that you now need to hire someone locally to manage the outsource, a team actually. Also projects slip and are delayed because what normally would be a 15 min call between skilled IT and the various business groups, is now a 2 hour call between IT (at $5 an hr) and the various business groups (each one at $50 an hour...) No one does that math.

Meh! Home now with a nice cold holgate pilsner now :)

Shaneus

Dear Shaneus,

I'm glad you have taken the role of Hobo Beard from myself. It looks excellent.

Regards,

Ex-Hobo Beard holder.
Danke! I think? I don't know if a Hobo Beard is good or not :( Definitely needs to be tamed, certainly before the girl's brother's wedding in two weeks. Have no idea what to do with it :(

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I wish more companies outsourcing would choose the Philippines. I'd recommend them over India any day of the week for a whole host of reasons.

I remember working for an ISP's customer helpline where the technical support base was in India. I basically just said "fuck it" and told customers to call in and ask for me if they needed general technical help (I was handcuffed by the software I used and could only reach so far into the system) because the Indian call centre was worthless. Alongside a group of other technically-minded people in my team, I petitioned the bosses of our call centre and the ISP itself to open a small, dedicated tech support base within our call centre. We got shot down and I left soon after.

Then there's the software company I worked for that had tech support in India and basically didn't even give a fuck. No monitoring, no quality control, no inspections, no nothing. When I asked the head of customer service why not, his reaction was essentially "I'm not fucking going to India, fuck you." It was essentially tech support that existed just to say that it existed. The wonders of working in OEM.

Totally understand the thought process behind it. Cut everyone getting paid $40+ an hour and replace them with TWO people at $5 an hour. 2 for 1 and $30 profit!

What they don't take in account is that you now need to hire someone locally to manage the outsource, a team actually. Also projects slip and are delayed because what normally would be a 15 min call between skilled IT and the various business groups, is now a 2 hour call between IT (at $5 an hr) and the various business groups (each one at $50 an hour...) No one does that math.

Meh! Home now with a nice cold holgate pilsner now :)

It's all for short term gain, most likely some executive wants to make a quick buck.

Shaneus

shaneus, hit up bartronica yet>?
Went there before opening night (when it was open but not "open"), I think they have a few more machines since I left (including a pinball machine... but it's only TMNT :( ). It's a great place to hang out and they've done some good work with layout and such, but as I was the only one in there it felt pretty empty.

They need more pinnies in there. And decent ones, not crappy ones with themes people know. Can't be that hard to set aside $2k or whatever for a solid machine when they've outlaid that much to start a bar.

For the ultimate in multiplayer as well, to complement Mario Kart 64 they either need 10-player Saturn Bomberman or 8-player Micro Machines TT on Megadrive (with the J-Cart).

senahorse

Painful isn't it, the worst is when they use webex to type some commands into the console, and they fumble through the most basic of diagnostic functions, you just want to take over or call it quits. I had one I logged to an IPAM vendor recently about the leap second being added this year and just wanted some info as to how the product deals with it and if there would be any issues with our current code version (there have been problems in the past), the response I got back was, "What do you mean by leap second?". I had to send them a Wikipedia article as well as links to their own documentation...I am also totally opposed to outsourcing in these instances, sure it might save the company some money but it certainly makes the customer second guess what they are paying for.

Helleth hath frozeneth overth.

I found Amiibos in a retail store today. And not just Mario, ones i didn't already get like a Bowser, a Megaman and 2 Sonics. Just in time for my brother's birthday (only one sonic for him, I need some amiibo sugar for my own collection).

MoonGred

So it's taken me 3 year but I finally found my favourite shapes

1) Nacho cheese
2) Cheddar
3) Savoury

Honourable mention to Cheese and Bacon for the most vile tasting snack I've ever had. Artificial bacon flavour shouldn't exist, it gives real bacon a bad name

Rezbit

So it's taken me 3 year but I finally found my favourite shapes

1) Nacho cheese
2) Cheddar
3) Savoury

Honourable mention to Cheese and Bacon for the most vile tasting snack I've ever had. Artificial bacon flavour shouldn't exist, it gives real bacon a bad name

WHAT IS THIS? The real list is:

1) Pizza
2) Barbecue
3) Cheddar

At least we can agree on Cheese and Bacon being some sort of hellspawn.

1) Triangle
2) Circle
3) Square

Also, beat Fogz and Roulette at the Paranormal table. Felt good.
Also, beat you at most of the tables I tried this afternoon.

I'm out in the field for work for a week so I fully expect all my high scores to be worth absolutely nothing by the time I'm back in Brisbane.
I beat a couple of yours, too. Don't feel bad, on a couple of them it took until my second try.

Saying that, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing on most tables. I just hit that ball in the hope that inexplicable large numbers happen for some reason.

Shaneus, I beat a couple of yours but I'm not really throwing the gauntlet down at you. I can tell when one of your scores is a "oh, I just hit a ball around for 30 seconds, got a couple of hundred thousand / 16 million / whatever and exited the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom