• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Oh well i picked up COD as well. I feel dirty, ashamed, maybe i will throw myself off a bridge tonight after work, who knows.

If i don't i get to see what all the cod online fuss is about which is mainly why i purchased it. Looks like an arcade shooter, no real physics involved but with shitty realistic graphics. Good chance i will get bored of it after a month like i did with BC2, Oh well.

So I downloaded the Black Ops pre load from d2d, turns out its just the install files which launch steam when you try to install. Wasn't sure how that was going to work.

Can't say I'm really that excited to play it, but in terms of 1st person shooters the CoD series is probably the only one I always tend to buy and actually play all the way through. This may be because they are awesome, but the more likely explanation is how damn short the campaigns are. Either way I always enjoy them, and for $44 I'm happy to buy it!

Also, hit the 55 hour mark in New Vegas last night, still only at the start of the main quest. Pretty sure it will be my GOTY this year.

Shaneus

Do we have an AusGAF USD/parity shopping thread somewhere? I'm want to buy shit from O/S but have no idea where to start... even just links to websites that ship here and sell in USD would be enough.

Omikron

Rez said:
I feel like a decent FPS as well. I think I might try Metro 20[XX] at some point this holiday.

Its really quite good. Even if I ran into a bug right at the last bit of the game that prevented me from finishing. :x

legend166

AdventureRacing said:
I think the only game which i am 100% sure i am buying this year is DKC. It looks like it may well be game of the gen for me.

SC2 and WoW are taking up most of my game time.

I'm only planning on getting three more games for the year:

Donkey Kong Country
Epic Mickey
GT5

I'll probably get a whole other bunch in the Steam Christmas sale though. Even though there's games from the last sale I haven't even started yet (hello Assault on Dark Athena and Max Payne 2).

Reading all the AusGAF goodness since Friday, and the scotch discussion on earlier pages makes me really want a scotch. It's 9am. And I really want scotch.

Shaneus said:
I'm want to buy shit from O/S but have no idea where to start...

Check out priceusa.com.au, shipito.com, forwardit.us. I haven't used any of them.

codswallop said:
Reading all the AusGAF goodness since Friday, and the scotch discussion on earlier pages makes me really want a scotch. It's 9am. And I really want scotch.

Its funny, I was just thinking about scotch too.

I've been building a bit of a collection the last few months (I'm a relative newcomer to single malt goodness).

I made a list of my collection on the weekend, these are what I currently have in my cupboard:

- Talisker 10
- Laphroaig 10
- Ardbeg 10
- Glenmorangie 10
- Bruichladdich 12 year old Special Edition
- Bruichladdich 19 year old Black Art
- Yamazaki 12
- Lagavulin 16

Thing is, I don't really drink that much, I'll have a drink probably 2-3 nights a week. So this stuff will probably last me a long long time. Problem is I walk past Vintage Cellars in Leichhardt every week and they have an awesome range.

Damn, now I want a scotch too :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Frawdder said:
Fuck me, 8:30 (SA time) on the dot and "No matches found" for Tool.

:(

i COMPLETELY forgot. FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Just tried to check and they can't find any tickets. I buy call of duty and forget about TOOL tickets. This day is officially SHIT!

Omikron

evlcookie said:

Just tried to check and they can't find any tickets. I buy call of duty and forget about TOOL tickets. This day is officially SHIT!

I must be getting old, or just really picky about the bands I want to see. Few years ago, I would have died at missing out on Tool tickets most likely. :lol

I have no love for stadium gigs either, that being said.

Frawdder

evlcookie said:

I ended up getting a ticket to the Brisbane show. Not the greatest seats I don't think but at least I get to see them do their own show.

Ydahs

Just had my Arabic oral exam... PANICCC! Two semesters in a row I panicked :(

Hope the examiner was an easier marker than the last but now I need to actually study hard for the exam...

teekun

Is anyone getting COD on a console? I'm not in a big rush to pick it up or anything, but I'd love to hear some impressions on whether the online holds up. Mostly from a matchmaking/server browsing standpoint. I've always had fun playing COD online, but can't stand the bullshit matchmaking that always stuck me with Europeans and Americans where I'd get slaughtered due to lag.

Agyar

Bernbaum said:
Brisbane is giving out free flavoured milk. Thanks, Brisbane.

I got one of those, then I got my usual breakfast and now I feel sick. Probably should have saved it for later.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damnit as expected work wants me here for a while longer at this location. BOOO i hate this place :lol

Oh well will tell them i'm leaving 10 mins early so i can catch an earlier train. Too bad work people, i want to get home at 6:30 not 7 :/

Shaneus said:
PayPal STILL isn't at parity yet
Most places are 1.5-3c behind the "official" exchange rate, as is PayPal. Ever wondered why your bank charges the 1.5% on international purchases (besides greed)?

Agyar

Shaneus said:
Nah, I stopped at greed and left it at that :D

I already explained this a few pages back, but currency conversion is a service and you don't get it for free. This isn't Paypal lagging behind current rates, it's just that you're a consumer buying a tiny little amount of currency and paying a middle man to make the trade.

Shaneus

Oh, I know that... I just figured that with it being a few days since we actually hit parity, and that (in relative terms) we're currently a fair way over parity that PayPal would've caught up, including the fact that they need their cut.

CryptiK

FFS I am getting COD BO tonight and even though the Aussie Release date is the 9th I cant play it til 10 hours after the 9th wtf some times I HATE STEAM!

Agyar

Shaneus said:
Oh, I know that... I just figured that with it being a few days since we actually hit parity, and that (in relative terms) we're currently a fair way over parity that PayPal would've caught up, including the fact that they need their cut.

Except that the it's been trading up and down around the 1 USD mark for a few days. Even when it's buying more than 1 USD, it's only been a bit over 1.01. The AUD would need to buy 1.03-1.035 USD consistently for Paypal to give you a 1:1 conversion.

Shaneus

Ah, fair call! It's not that it actually matters any, I'm just curious as it's the first time I've actively watched their conversion rates for any period of time.

Agyar

Shaneus said:
Ah, fair call! It's not that it actually matters any, I'm just curious as it's the first time I've actively watched their conversion rates for any period of time.

The AUD is great against the USD, just forget the graphs and start buying shit.

so I went for the D2D deal for CoD BO (I still thing of body odour when I see BO) and cancelled my playasia preorder. D2D downloaded a bunch of files. Now what do I do with them?

I'm not on trial here.

ClivePwned said:
so I went for the D2D deal for CoD BO (I still thing of body odour when I see BO) and cancelled my playasia preorder. D2D downloaded a bunch of files. Now what do I do with them?

I worked this out this morning.

On the 9th login to d2d and get your steam key.

Then just go to the directory where the files were downloaded and run the setup exe, it will launch steam and bring up the "enter your steam key" part. Enter your key and then I'm assuming the game will then use the files you downloaded to install the game, in the same way a disk-based steamworks game would install.

(I think this is right, I guess I'll find out on the 9th.)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
You'll be happy to know that Sesame Street: Cookie's Counting Carnival is out this week.

Shaneus

Um, if it was a counting game, shouldn't it star the fucking Count? Ugh.

Side note: Count's full name is Count von Count :lol

Pandemic

Damn, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is coming out 2 days after the US release, hopefully EB Games will release it early. :lol

jambo

Pandemic said:
Damn, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is coming out 2 days after the US release, hopefully EB Games will release it early. :lol
It'll probably come out in Adelaide a week before hand like RB3 :lol

BanShunsaku said:
I worked this out this morning.

On the 9th login to d2d and get your steam key.

Then just go to the directory where the files were downloaded and run the setup exe, it will launch steam and bring up the "enter your steam key" part. Enter your key and then I'm assuming the game will then use the files you downloaded to install the game, in the same way a disk-based steamworks game would install.

(I think this is right, I guess I'll find out on the 9th.)
ta- will try that. assuming i can find the directory again ;)

giri

Mar said:
Damn good scotch that. Enjoy.
Speaking of Scotch.

scotch.jpg

My lack lustre Scotch collection. Drinking the 25 yo Glenlivet. Not this second, but its the one i'm on.

The Talisker - Distillers editions is probably my favorite.

Bernbaum

jambo said:
So my boss bought Adelaide United this morning...
We destroyed them 4-0 on Saturday, maybe they're going for cheap. Holy crap that was one of the best derbies I've ever been to- three goals from ten men, and the goalie was impenetrable.

Rahk

Stackboy said:
I'm assuming this was in the city? I work at West End.

Good playing RB3 with Rakula for a couple of songs yesterday.
Sorry about failing the Fallout Boy song (although they suck anyway!). I'd only ever played that song once before and it had beats that I hadn't really played before. I would have changed it to hard, but I wasn't sure if that restarts midway through the song.

We should play again sometime.

Omikron

Bernbaum said:
We destroyed them 4-0 on Saturday, maybe they're going for cheap. Holy crap that was one of the best derbies I've ever been to- three goals from ten men, and the goalie was impenetrable.

Ange has the roar playing great football that is for sure.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Two million Wii's now sold in Australia, DS must be at like 2.7 million now or something (it was 2.5 in January).

PS2, watch yourself. (2.6~)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom