• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is scotch something I can learn to drink or are my tastebuds doomed to forever despise it? Watching Mad Men makes me want to drink it. I never liked beer either though but now I love it.

giri

Neverender said:
Is scotch something I can learn to drink or are my tastebuds doomed to forever despise it? Watching Mad Men makes me want to drink it. I never liked beer either though but now I love it.
You can certainly learn to drink it.

Drinking it straight the first time is usually an interesting experience for most people. But if you keep at it, you'll learn to really love single malts straight. I know i hated drinking them straight to start with, but now, i don't even think about mixing them (and i find it entirely pleasant).

If you need training wheels for straight whisky, start with the Irish ones and work towards the Scotch Whiskeys. The Irish whisky is smoother, less...peaty, but still has the fire.

And don't mix unless it's Johnny Red (blech)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
2nd group assignment is due tonight! another one where I don't have a group, and I have to record a radio show or something, I can talk zany and excited when I'm in person.. but recording myself is trouble.. as I feel strange talking loudly when I'm alone (as any normal person would)
So i've hit the bourbon to work up the courage.

Mar

Man, that was one hell of a Sunday.

achievements.png

Danoss

Before the Scotch conversation goes away entirely. I ordered a couple of Glencairn glasses today to enjoy the rest of my first bottle of single malt scotch I ordered a while back (Highland Park 12). I figured if I'm gonna do it, I may as well do it right.

Pictured below for those who don't know what I'm talking about.

Glencairn%20Crystal%20Glass.jpg

BowieZ

Banned
So my market research job over the weekend was a national phone poll about an R18+ category for video games in Australia. There were about 6 or 7 questions then the final question of "So in your opinion should there be an R18+ classification category for computer games sold in Australia? Yes / No (or Don't Know)"

Practically everyone I interviewed said 'yes', even those who seemed to be building up to a "no," out of principle of the rights of adults. The official results of the poll will be out this week I believe.

BowieZ

Banned
I personally didn't speak to anybody who came across like they had specific preconceived opinions on the issue, but it was hard to tell with the younger men (18-49), who answered the questions in the same somewhat knowledgeable but unmistakably carefree bogan way as they do in every other poll I've done.

The questions (paraphrasing) were:

1. Would adults know games with an "R18+" classification would clearly be unsuitable for children?

2. Should Australian adults be able to access the same games as adults in other countries?

3. Does computer game violence lead to real life violence?

4. Should adults be prevented from playing explicit games (including those with sexually explicit content) simply because they're unsuitable for children?

5. Would parents find it difficult to prevent children from accessing the games?

6. Should computer games be classified differently because you play them, not just watch them?

Scotch talk! You should search for the single malt whisky thread. Tonnes of good info for newcomers and experienced alike. My first single malt was the Highland Park 12, but I've since delved into the world of Islay magic. Rich, smooth, smokey wonders!

I'm nearly finished with a lagavulin 16, such a good drink.

In game talk, anyone know where Red Dead Redemption is cheapnin Sydney for 360?

BanShunsaku said:
Its funny, I was just thinking about scotch too.

I've been building a bit of a collection the last few months (I'm a relative newcomer to single malt goodness).

I made a list of my collection on the weekend, these are what I currently have in my cupboard:

- Talisker 10
- Laphroaig 10
- Ardbeg 10
- Glenmorangie 10
- Bruichladdich 12 year old Special Edition
- Bruichladdich 19 year old Black Art
- Yamazaki 12
- Lagavulin 16

Thing is, I don't really drink that much, I'll have a drink probably 2-3 nights a week. So this stuff will probably last me a long long time. Problem is I walk past Vintage Cellars in Leichhardt every week and they have an awesome range.

Damn, now I want a scotch too :(
Yep, Vintage Cellars at Leichardt beckons you to empty your wallet. Good collection! I only have the money to get a bottle every few months, and that's usually a gift for doing someone a favor, so I never have more than one bottle on the move. Wish I did though.

Omikron

I found a $150 JB Hifi voucher in my wallet this morning, fairly sure I meant to use that on the AV equipment I bought a few weeks ago, oops ....... question is what to spend it on now. :lol

Danoss

BanShunsaku said:
Why can't I stop staring at that koala's balls?
They do kinda stick out, being a different colour from the rest of him.

Due to the balls and the position of his hand, I call him the Al Bundy Koala.

Neverender said:
You could try putting a few ice cubes in the glass, or a shot or two of water per shot of whisky if you find the flavours too strong. If you're used to mainly mixed spirits you could even put a small amount of Sprite in the glass to take away the edge until you get more accustomed to it.

I find it hard to believe how I used to chug down Jim Beam and Cokes ... Ugh, so sweet.

Edit: If you want to go all Mad Men (and who wouldn't?), you could also try drinking Whiskey Sour or Old Fashioned (you may remember Draper mixed one of these when he first met Conrad Hilton). Depending on who you ask they'll either be made with whiskey or bourbon, but that's more of a personal choice I reckon.

Why For?

Banned
Choc said:
anyone midnight black ops?

if so is it good?

Decided not to this time.

A mate did and reckons Zombies is coots, but didn't really play much else. Picking mine up in about 2 hours. Can't play till like 9.30 tonight.

Working all day, then been asked to fill in at my part time job tonight. :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
With a ton of threads being moved to the online section, i wonder if they will allow lurkers to now see in here. It would make sense since some of the bigger threads are being moved. Let's hope so anyway.

Shaneus

Congrats!

In similarly awesome news, I just received my parcel from the GAF (AUGUST!) Candy Swap. It left Canada in the middle of September and only just arrived in the country on the weekend :lol

Hell of a time to be on a diet :/

Danoss

Neverender said:
Missed this one. Like codswallop said, probably best to have it with some ice cubes to start off with. Don't get used to that as it mutes a lot of the flavours, perfectly acceptable to do with a cheaper whisky blend though.

As you progress through that, I'd recommend substituting the ice with a dash of water. Gradually reduce the amount of water that you put in there, you can use a straw to add lesser amounts. Soon you will be drinking scotch neat, though some still beg for some water to really bring the flavour out.

I started doing this with Johnnie Walker Black (Red is a bit young) and also Teachers Highland Cream, which I still enjoy.

NB. I'm still new to this myself, I'm just passing on some tips which were given to me.

jambo

evlcookie said:
With a ton of threads being moved to the online section, i wonder if they will allow lurkers to now see in here. It would make sense since some of the bigger threads are being moved. Let's hope so anyway.
But a lot of the Online threads have IP addresses for servers, and at the moment only members can see them and join them. If it's open to all lurkers there'd be more randoms, etc.

Waikis

jambo said:
But a lot of the Online threads have IP addresses for servers, and at the moment only members can see them and join them. If it's open to all lurkers there'd be more randoms, etc.

From the halo thread.
Evilore said:
No, I just hate Halo! BANISHMENT!!!!!

Yes, of course they'll be moved too when appropriate.

Also, the online forum is likely going to be made public viewing. There will just be a warning so people can remove any unwanted personal info and such. That's still being worked out.

Ydahs

Waikis said:
From the halo thread.
A lot of people post their Steam IDs, Live tags, etc. on this forum and wouldn't want it viewable to all... yeah, not like the idea of it becoming public.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Ydahs said:
A lot of people post their Steam IDs, Live tags, etc. on this forum and wouldn't want it viewable to all... yeah, not like the idea of it becoming public.

We have all put down our IDs in the original ausgaf thread when it was open. That's how we have gotten a few more members when it comes to the steam group, all of which seem to be non idiots as well.

So i don't think there's anything wrong with them opening the online section.

legend166

I hope Vanquish gets here from Zavvi today. Their shipping has been slow lately. I might stick with ozgameshop in the future. I'm also wondering if I should cancel my GT5 order with Zavvi. The price is good but the chances of me getting it before Christmas is probably pretty low:lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I spent a week on Civ V and haven't played it since. Its icon taunts me every day, but at this point, with Persona 3 and now Persona 4 up and running, I risk becoming several shades more pale than I already am should I continue with both series, and getting pale during the summer seems like an unhealthy idea.

Shaneus

Took the plunge and bought the 360 keytar from Amazon, and they've informed me that it'll get here ETA on the 16th of Nov rather than the same time in December... the expected 3-4 weeks on their site has disappeared. Also got it $5 cheaper, too!

:D

jambo

Good man! I was playing some RB3 with my ex on the weekend and she had great fun on the keyboard. I'm still pretty crappy at it, but getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom