• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Shaneus said:
Currently have a 5830 overclocked, find it's *just* not cutting it in some games. I'll be on 60fps most of the time, but once shit heats up it'll stutter enough to be distracting. A 5850 by all accounts shits all over it and can be had for $240.

Why the wink? Something you're not telling me? ;)

No real reason. I wasn't sure if the 6870 was much better, looks like it sorta isn't and it's $40 more. Could be a tiny bit better in some areas but yea, not sure if it's worth the extra $40 over the 5850.

So stick with the 5850, although i'm sure you have researched it anyway :D

Shaneus

Yeah I have :) By all accounts the 6870 is around the same performance (few extra bits here, few missing bits there) but is pretty much unproven at this point. With the 5850, I have an arseload of knowledge in various forums at my disposal (including the ability to overclock the fucker if need be).

'Preciate the concern, though!

Jambo: 6990 the equivalent of the 5870, I assume? I'm really not looking at spending too much as I'm still using a Q9550 on a P35 chipset (no dual 16x Crossfire :/ ). When I do upgrade CPU/mobo, I'll just get another 5850 for cheap.

Stackboy

Agyar said:
That looks like two burgers, both of gargantuan size.

Speaking of burgers, having Grill'd hand out 2 for 1 vouchers in West End had me trying them again but I stand behind my claim of Burger Urge being better. Grill'd burgers are great but for BrisGAF dudes who happen to be in West End or New Farm, give Burger Urge a shot. I highly recommend their chilli-cheese or satay burgers.

Hey I'm in West End!!

Ydahs

Guys, we're now viewable to the WORLD. Wonder if we're keeping the sticky...

Online/Community Forum
"Multiplayer matchmaking and strategy discussion, internal tournaments, buy/sell/trade, special sub-communities"

Yup, we're special.

rass

HolyCheck said:
*claps and sings* WE'RE SPECIAL
has your name changed?

Ydahs, cheers for the heads up on Python - found heaps of intro stuff on it, will start working through soon.

haha Legend, you are doooomed.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
rass said:
has your name changed?

Ydahs, cheers for the heads up on Python - found heaps of intro stuff on it, will start working through soon.

haha Legend, you are doooomed.
Yarrr, the old one was too easy to link up with my real identity lol

Bernbaum

Ydahs said:
Guys, we're now viewable to the WORLD. Wonder if we're keeping the sticky...

Online/Community Forum
"Multiplayer matchmaking and strategy discussion, internal tournaments, buy/sell/trade, special sub-communities"

Yup, we're special.
More like 'special sub-human community'.

rass

I was going to post about how is "oldname" traceable but figured that negates the whole changing your identity haha.

I am reading about defining classes in Python instead of whatever I ought to be doing. Hello brain, I've missed using you.

Agyar

So despite not having yet played Assassin's Creed 2, the multiplayer component of Brotherhood has piqued my interest, so much so I'm considering ordering it and just diving in to the multiplayer.

Do I need a reality check or are others planning on playing it multiplayer?

Nemesis_

markot said:
I think I got SC2 on release date.

But I forget >.<

Would your Blizzard account be able to tell you when you activated it? =D

Ag, I enjoyed the beta so I will definitely be playing Brotherhood. 360 though.

Agyar said:
So despite not having yet played Assassin's Creed 2, the multiplayer component of Brotherhood has piqued my interest, so much so I'm considering ordering it and just diving in to the multiplayer.

Do I need a reality check or are others planning on playing it multiplayer?
Talking to my friends who were in the MP beta (who are AC diehards), the MP is OK but will be short-lived and nothing spectacular. I was given a code at the last minute (thanks to Neverender) but couldn't get it properly activated before the beta closed :(

Also you really need to play AC2, I played it for the first time just recently and was blown away by how good it was. One of my favourite titles this gen.

markot

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Would your Blizzard account be able to tell you when you activated it? =D

Ag, I enjoyed the beta so I will definitely be playing Brotherhood. 360 though.

Not from my blizz account, not there, but I posted when I got it on another forum >.> post was on '7/26/2010 3:42:pM' which is PST USA timewise >.< Ummmmmm

According to http://www.timezoneconverter.com

03:49:41 p.m. Monday July 26, 2010 in US/Pacific converts to
08:49:41 a.m. Tuesday July 27, 2010 in Australia/ACT

And I think thats the date it came out in Aus! So I got it early in the morning.

Only chance of me getting ubi games is on super sales. Their abysssssssmal PC DRM is offensive to... Hitler even!

Nemesis_

markot said:
Not from my blizz account, not there, but I posted when I got it on another forum >.> post was on '7/26/2010 3:42:pM' which is PST USA timewise >.< Ummmmmm

According to http://www.timezoneconverter.com

03:49:41 p.m. Monday July 26, 2010 in US/Pacific converts to
08:49:41 a.m. Tuesday July 27, 2010 in Australia/ACT

And I think thats the date it came out in Aus! So I got it early in the morning.

Only chance of me getting ubi games is on super sales. Their abysssssssmal PC DRM is offensive to... Hitler even!

Awesome! Thanks for your detective work. :lol

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
I'm pretty bloody ready to buy a shitload of Beatles stuff off iTunes tomorrow.

In celebration, I share this video of daggy tourists re-enacting the Abbey Road album cover, much to the frustration of local commuters.

Why didn't you buy the mono set like a real fan? Can't believe you would blow your money on an iTunes version of beatles tracks. That's terrible.

Shaneus

Quick question for PC-heads:

Just went to MSY to get a reference 5850 card so I could do the voltage increase to overclock like a motherfucker:
5850.jpg

But on opening the box (that looks exactly the same) I find it's actually this card:
105840.jpg

= not a reference card.

I've been EXTREMELY careful in cracking the shrinkwrap (there was no pic of the card on the box) so do y'all think I can take it back for either a card I know the limits of or (worst case scenario, for an extra $30) upgrade to the Asus reference card?

I'd hate to dick MSY around but I wouldn't have bought that card if I knew what it was :(

Shaneus

Nah. A reference board is usually made by AMD with a different sticker on it, meaning they all have exactly the same components, including a voltage regulator chip that can be changed via software (BIOS). The one I have looks like it was made by Powercolor themselves, likely with a more "refined" manufacturing procedure, dumbing down components where possible (without compromising advertised specs). A modifiable voltage means you can get better overclocks with it... I suspect mine is fixed :/

Agyar

Shaneus said:
Nah. A reference board is usually made by AMD with a different sticker on it, meaning they all have exactly the same components, including a voltage regulator chip that can be changed via software (BIOS). The one I have looks like it was made by Powercolor themselves, likely with a more "refined" manufacturing procedure, dumbing down components where possible (without compromising advertised specs). A modifiable voltage means you can get better overclocks with it... I suspect mine is fixed :/

How do you even know which one you're getting?

Shaneus

That, and all the reference ones have near-identical looking heatsinks covering the whole board. Non-reference use custom heatsinks designed specifically for that board.

I'm tempted to just say "fuck it", see what I can get out of it and be happy I only shelled out $239 for it, but I'd like to know whether folks think it's worth chasing up to get another card that I can squeeze more out of or not.

rass

I was just at JB and saw Toy Story 3 for sale on bluray, I saw it like 2 months ago at the movies? Seems quick. Could have been out for weeks for all I know though, I don't get into JB much.

Bout to set up my PC, then I can play games again woo

markot

Banned
Shaneus said:
That, and all the reference ones have near-identical looking heatsinks covering the whole board. Non-reference use custom heatsinks designed specifically for that board.

I'm tempted to just say "fuck it", see what I can get out of it and be happy I only shelled out $239 for it, but I'd like to know whether folks think it's worth chasing up to get another card that I can squeeze more out of or not.
Id say fuck it >.< but I have a 4770 and no interest in over clocking >.>

evlcookie said:
Why didn't you buy the mono set like a real fan? Can't believe you would blow your money on an iTunes version of beatles tracks. That's terrible.
I have an original, numbered White Album LP here. Alas, it's in stereo.

Shaneus said:
Just went to MSY
I've dealt with MSY a number of times before, and let's just say that unless you buy from them regularly, are known at their store and the staff have the right attitude, I wouldn't even bother.

I leave near the first few MSY stores and nowadays I never buy anything from them I expect I might return in the future. I want service so I go elsewhere. The Geelong MSY store is new though, so you may get lucky. I personally used to deal with PC Direct when in Geelong and the guy there (Sinny?) was always fantastic.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
codswallop said:
I have an original, numbered White Album LP here. Alas, it's in stereo.

I think my old man has that along with some of the others on vinyl. His prized possessions i think :lol

It's rare these days isn't it?

evlcookie said:
I think my old man has that along with some of the others on vinyl. His prized possessions i think :lol

It's rare these days isn't it?
It is quite rare (to find one in good condition). The Mono one even more so I believe. In good condition I remember hearing a decade ago you could get for $600+ it and nowadays probably even more. Mine's not in good condition so probably not worth much; I saved it when my dad decided to chuck it simply because he couldn't be bothered keeping it in storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom