• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

Agyar said:
So I ordered Super Ass Cream Bros from Play Asia, hoping it arrives before next weekend (which it should). I plan to finish Vanquish in the mean time, then dive into the multiplayer in that and the single player in AC2. Good plan or great plan? Anybody else planning on being a multiple ass bro?
If I have time, I'll be in like Flynn.

legend166

Choc said:
the cricket isnt tommorow is it

also channel 9 has now false advertised

last month they specifically said WATCH THE ASHES IN HD ON GEM

its like

the ratings on GEM in HD would far fucking outweigh the load of shit they will get for some shithouse shows they put on

useless

It's not the Ashes. It's a tour game between England and Australia A.

We're 75/5 and in trouble.

Choc

Banned
UPDATE 1: Nine had the First Test: Australia v England listed in schedules for tomorrow, but as readers have noted, this was an error. The amendment is actually a correction of GEM schedule rather than dropping of HD simulcast. Apologies for any confusion.

Choc

Banned
ive read a bunch of AC2 B reviews

i want it now, bad

what the fuck is wrong with this country

Sorry Big Bang fans… there’s a Prince getting engaged.
Nine has replaced tonight’s Big Bang Theory episodes with a special: William & Kate: A Royal Engagement.
Alison Langdon presents this premiere Nine News Special on Prince William and Kate Middleton.
It airs at 8:30pm for one hour.

WHO

GIVES

A

FUCKING

WANK

its time to become a republic, end of story. royal family is a load of shit

Clipper

VOOK said:
Two Nintendo news updates;

Golden Sun Dark Dawn out December 2 and

The Nintendo 3DS, $399?

:/
We already partially discussed your news about the 3DS price. You can be forgiven for missing it seeing as it was only two posts, one of which was a single word.

That rumour pretty much cements my choice to just full-on import the 3DS. I recommend any other Aussies do the same.

One good corollary from the rumoured price... given that Nintendo really don't care all that much about competitive pricing against the US, this could also hint at the US price. The Wii was AU$399 at launch vs. US$249, so I'd be willing to bet that the US price of the 3DS will be $249, provided the rmoured Aussie price is correct.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Isn't the 3DS region locked though?

Not a big deal for those of us here though i would think, I'm guessing there's some good US based import places with cheap shipping for DS carts.

Fredescu

Choc, Bad Company 2 has had two price drops on US Steam. EA Aus needs to be on the ball with their Steam prices! 2K dropped Borderlands already.

Clipper

evlcookie said:
Isn't the 3DS region locked though?

Not a big deal for those of us here though i would think, I'm guessing there's some good US based import places with cheap shipping for DS carts.
Yeah, we have several good options for importing US games. Play-Asia and Amazon are my favourites, but there are several others with good prices out there. The shipping time is generally less than the delay for the games to release here too. Just plan to import everything and you'll probably save a ton of money.

The only thing that I can see as a negative for importing the 3DS right now is needing to buy a transformer to charge the thing. Given that it charges by a dock, I doubt we'll have the same third party solutions we usually have at launch for replacement chargers. Still, that's only a minor problem.

Oh, and on the pricing, the Japanese 3DS launch price is the same as the Wii was at launch there too. We have a definite pattern :p.

Why For?

Banned
Just played Dance Central at JB Hifi South Wharf.

Holy fuck I can't wait to pick up my 250GB S Kinect Bundle with Dance Central tomorrow. Game is pure fun.

Also, they had NFS on their demo unit, didn't check if it was on shelves.

ShyGuy

Clipper said:
The only thing that I can see as a negative for importing the 3DS right now is needing to buy a transformer to charge the thing.
Shouldn't really be a problem for seasoned importers as they probably already have a transformer or two that they can use.

USB-powered charge cables shouldn't be too far behind either, and those are cheap to buy.

If anyone uses the transformer as a dealbreaker, then they shouldn't because they don't actually cost all that much (for something capable of charging a 3DS)

rass

Vook, since you aren't dead -- Red Wii, actually limited as in get one before Christmas or 'Limited' as in buy one at my goddamn leisure? I don't know how you'd even know, you just seem like the person to ask haha.

Also Uni acceptance dreams shattered. Thinking of applying for a broader course next year. Current selections include (both at RMIT):
Bachelor of Art (Animation and Interactive Media)
Bachelor of Art (Digital Art)
with a lean towards Digital Art. Anyone doing anything similar? I don't know wtf to do with my life, been getting me down lately haha :/

Why For?

Banned
rass said:
Vook, since you aren't dead -- Red Wii, actually limited as in get one before Christmas or 'Limited' as in buy one at my goddamn leisure? I don't know how you'd even know, you just seem like the person to ask haha.

Also Uni acceptance dreams shattered. Thinking of applying for a broader course next year. Current selections include (both at RMIT):
Bachelor of Art (Animation and Interactive Media)
Bachelor of Art (Digital Art)
with a lean towards Digital Art. Anyone doing anything similar? I don't know wtf to do with my life, been getting me down lately haha :/

I've been told buy before Christmas.

I have mates at JB and they said THINK they stop getting them after Christmas, so after Christmas, whatever they have left is all that's left.

Don't take that as gospel, it's just what I was told.

Clipper

ShyGuy said:
USB-powered charge cables shouldn't be too far behind either, and those are cheap to buy.

If anyone uses the transformer as a dealbreaker, then they shouldn't because they don't actually cost all that much (for something capable of charging a 3DS)
Yeah, I know it's not a big gripe, but it's the only negative I can think of.

And charge cables won't be an option this time. It seems the 3DS charges inductively via a dock, from what we've seen of it. I believe it doesn't have a power port at all. Unless the dock is connected via a removable cable to the wall, then we'd need to buy a whole replacement dock to power the thing. Now, it is certainly possible some of the existing inductive charge pads will work with the 3DS out of the box, but I'm certainly not going to try that out until a lot of testing has been done.

rass

Why For? said:
I've been told buy before Christmas.

I have mates at JB and they said THINK they stop getting them after Christmas, so after Christmas, whatever they have left is all that's left.

Don't take that as gospel, it's just what I was told.
cheers,
I can probably get one in early December after speaking to my accountant yesterday, but just in case. I'm not big on missing out :lol

jambo

I reckon I'll buy an Aussie 3DS, just in case I go in to an EB or JB one day when they're having a sale. I'd hate to see games super cheap and not be able to just buy them then and there.

rass

jambo said:
I reckon I'll buy an Aussie 3DS, just in case I go in to an EB or JB one day when they're having a sale. I'd hate to see games super cheap and not be able to just buy them then and there.
That seems like a sound financial decicion :)
Buy a console locally at a high price to facilitate easier impulse purchasing

sounds like my kind of decision

Choc

Banned
FUCK australia post

they just sent me a spam email advertising a local business after i redirected my mail

'thank you for redirecting your mail. a local business though tyou might like to know about them'

huge ad

FUCK YOU

just reported it as SPAM to acma, fuck them

Clipper

jambo said:
So you'll spend extra on every other game you buy at launch or at the normal price for a few super cheap bargains?

Choc said:
FUCK australia post

they just sent me a spam email advertising a local business after i redirected my mail

'thank you for redirecting your mail. a local business though tyou might like to know about them'

huge ad

FUCK YOU
There's a box you need to check to NOT receive those messages.

Deeku

The 3ds store could potentially be a problem for importing. Since they are region specific, they'll probably block our cc's so we'll probably have to buy 3ds point cards or whatever. Not a huge problem I guess, but I just hate paying marked up prices for those point cards.

Also, if games are region locked, I'll need to buy 2 3ds's:(

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
So you'll spend extra on every other game you buy at launch or at the normal price for a few super cheap bargains?

There's a box you need to check to NOT receive those messages.

guess what, i did

and now they got reported

so markot you're saying you would prefer to watch some lovvy dove shit about some stupid arseholes on the other side of the world

ARI GOLD IS BACK BABY

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
vook

wheres your black ops wii rview >_<

Coming, finishing off my Scribblenauts review. Black Ops Wii probably looking at about an 8 so far.

Re: Red Wii's there is one shipment of them, and that's it. 44k or around that I was told. So not really limited, but still one shipment.

Re: 3DS, I'll be getting it from wherever I need to get one from from to cover it as soon as possible. If it's Japan then so be it, but I will be getting an AU one regardless as I need it for reviews. I don't "want" to import one, but if I have to for coverage I will. As a gamer I'd probably just get the AU one.

Price has nothing to do with it, I'd pay $500 for one.

commanderdeek said:
The 3ds store could potentially be a problem for importing. Since they are region specific, they'll probably block our cc's so we'll probably have to buy 3ds point cards or whatever. Not a huge problem I guess, but I just hate paying marked up prices for those point cards.

Also, if games are region locked, I'll need to buy 2 3ds's:(

CC is not blocked on my Japanese DSi, I've bought tons of stuff on it.

rass

thanks vook

out of curiosity, do you know how many 'limited' gold LoZ:OoT cartridges were released here? I thought they were all gold until I saw a standard grey cart while second hand shopping.

Deeku

VOOK said:
Price has nothing to do with it, I'd pay $500 for one.
:lol
As crazy as that sounds, I'd do the same thing.

Edit:
VOOK said:
CC is not blocked on my Japanese DSi, I've bought tons of stuff on it.
Oh really, that's awesome. Makes things much easier then.

This means I'll import a japanese one and buy one locally.

Clipper

commanderdeek said:
:lol
As crazy as that sounds, I'd do the same thing.

Edit:

Uh, so you'll only play games in Japanese, including retail games?

Edit: Ignore that. I somehow missed the 'one' in your final sentence. Was that perhaps a stealth edit or am I going blind?

VOOK

rass said:
thanks vook

out of curiosity, do you know how many 'limited' gold LoZ:OoT cartridges were released here? I thought they were all gold until I saw a standard grey cart while second hand shopping.

Again, no idea on numbers. With the extreme popularity of the Nintendo 64, it wouldn't be many. Probably a first run only thing. Maybe 20,000 copies? If that.

commanderdeek said:

Remember, the DSi and DSi XL at least haven't had multiple languages in them like the DS Lite had.

I'd at least wait and see the price and date of the 3DS here, and if it's region locked.

True Story: I paid $502 for my DSi to get it from Japan. Dollar was really bad at the time, but the coverage I gave that thing was worth it.

Why For?

Banned
rass said:
thanks vook

Wait WHAT?!?

You saw a grey cart? THAT'S the limited edition. Where did you see it? Me waaaaants it.

rass

Why For? said:
Wait WHAT?!?

You saw a grey cart? THAT'S the limited edition. Where did you see it? Me waaaaants it.
Sorry man, this is going back about 3 years when i re-bought my N64.

I'll check when I get home, there's a chance I bought it and have selective memory.

Deeku

Clipper said:
Uh, so you'll only play games in Japanese, including retail games?

Edit: Ignore that. I somehow missed the 'one' in your final sentence. Was that perhaps a stealth edit or am I going blind?
Nah, it's my poor sentence structure. It is a bit confusing now that I read it again.

VOOK said:
Remember, the DSi and DSi XL at least haven't had multiple languages in them like the DS Lite had.

I'd at least wait and see the price and date of the 3DS here, and if it's region locked.

True Story: I paid $502 for my DSi to get it from Japan. Dollar was really bad at the time, but the coverage I gave that thing was worth it.
Not too fussed about the languages. But yeah, I'll definitely wait for all the release info to come out before making a final decision.

Region locking will definitely screw things up for me since I want to be able to import US games due to release dates and prices, as well as play a few Japan only games.

jambo

I seem to have lost a whole bunch of N64 stuff. I still have my orange N64 and 3-4 controllers, but I can't find any of my games. OoT, Mareio Kart 64, Goldeneye, TWINE, SM64, SWEp1 Pod Racer, Banjo-Kazooie...

=[

Omikron

jambo said:
I seem to have lost a whole bunch of N64 stuff. I still have my orange N64 and 3-4 controllers, but I can't find any of my games. OoT, Mareio Kart 64, Goldeneye, TWINE, SM64, SWEp1 Pod Racer, Banjo-Kazooie...

=[

I moved recently... these are all now sitting in storage...

Consoles.jpg

I think I lost at least half my games when I moved states somehow about 5 years ago :(

Why For?

Banned
jambo said:

=[

I still have my Pokemon Edition Nintendo 64, a Gold Controller, plus a Clear purple one, rumble pak, memory pak and 26 games, pretty much all the 'essentials'. At least the ones that came out in AU anyway.

Operation Winback is still fucking coots.

legend166

Being at work whilst knowing there is cricket on TV is the most depressing thing ever.

I need to find a seasonal job that gives me summers off.

rass

legend166 said:
Being at work whilst knowing there is cricket on TV is the most depressing thing ever.

I need to find a seasonal job that gives me summers off.
Knowing that cricket exists as a competitive sport depresses me.

Clipper

commanderdeek said:
Region locking will definitely screw things up for me since I want to be able to import US games due to release dates and prices, as well as play a few Japan only games.
Then why buy a local one? Just get a Japanese and a US 3DS and you'll be all good, right?

rass

legend166 said:
pffffffffffffffffffffftttttt.

Cricket is a million times better than <insert sport you like here>.
motorcycle racing is the closest thing to a sport I like.

Isle of Man TT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_p6DaEo6b8 (edit: skip to 5:00ish for onboard camera intensity) Balls.Of.Steel.
is so much more watchable than Cricket. Risk of death by explosive mechanical/rider fault is more entertaining to me than risk of death via sunburn/boredom.

To each their own however, I have plenty of friends into cricket, the pace is just not exciting enough for me.

ManeKast said:
Do GAME ship titles the day before release?
I've pre-ordered two titles from GAME online and both arrived before release (one arrived two days early, one arrived one day early). I'm only about a 45 min drive from their Australian distribution centre though so that might have some bearing on it.

VOOK

Having played both Kinect & Wii I can confirm that the Wii is garbage, and playing Kinect with friends is much more fun and intuitive due to not having to use a controller. I probably would have kept the Wii if it were HD. Kinect has taken what Wii "started" and improved on it.

rass

VOOK said:
Having played both Kinect & Wii I can confirm that the Wii is garbage, and playing Kinect with friends is much more fun and intuitive due to not having to use a controller. I probably would have kept the Wii if it were HD. Kinect has taken what Wii "started" and improved on it.
notsureifserious.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom