• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

rass said:
Bout to set up my PC, then I can play games again woo
tMiD2.jpg

legend166

MSY is so annoying. I understand being bare bones to keep costs as low as possible, but being a nice, helpful human being doesn't cost anything extra, yet they refuse to do it.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
legend166 said:
MSY is so annoying. I understand being bare bones to keep costs as low as possible, but being a nice, helpful human being doesn't cost anything extra, yet they refuse to do it.

Which is why I don't shop there.

legend166 said:
MSY is so annoying.
Agreed. MSY reminds me of ye olde times, back in the day, when I was willing to spend the day at a swap meet to save $5 on an entire computer build, drive half way across the city when components didn't work and buy the most cost effective components where I could overclock and push the most.

Nowadays, I'll spend a few bucks more, don't bother overclocking anything and frequent the same place because I know I'll get service. Just too much bother mucking about.

senahorse

Heh, YMMV obviously, the 2 MSY's I have shopped at (Indooroopilly and Morningside) in Brisbane have always provided great service, for both sales and returns, Umart on the other hand...

x3n05 said:
Heh, YMMV obviously, the 2 MSY's I have shopped at (Indooroopilly and Morningside) in Brisbane have always provided great service, for both sales and returns, Umart on the other hand...
How old are those MSYs? They seemed to have started around Clayton, Malvern in Vic and those are where I've shopped. Truly dreadful service. The worst thing you can do is go there on a Saturday morning. Ugh, the stench.

I think their website really shows their commitment to that service. And I've heard some bad things about Umart, but have never used them.

Shaneus

codswallop said:
I leave near the first few MSY stores and nowadays I never buy anything from them I expect I might return in the future. I want service so I go elsewhere. The Geelong MSY store is new though, so you may get lucky. I personally used to deal with PC Direct when in Geelong and the guy there (Sinny?) was always fantastic.
Geelong one is actually really, really good. I only ever go in there when it's completely dead (my train from work allows me to get there around 10-15min before closing) but I guess that at the price I paid, I'll be happy to get a minimal to decent overclock out of the thing (at least what I managed to wring out of my current 5830 w/o over-voltage) and tweak what I can. Can't expect too much out of $240, I guess!

Shaneus said:
Geelong one is actually really, really good.
Yeah I've heard good stuff about it from some in Geelong. I'd say it comes down to the owners, and in my area, most of the PC store owners are cheap and don't give a crap about you unless you're a repeat customer. Fair enough too, I guess.

Do do do. Dum de dum. I miss out on my futsal teams prelim finals cause i'm going to a gig. I am kind of sad. But happy cause live music. Definitely in two minds about this. Also new avatar, what up cookie. You happy he's gone now? :p

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So the iTunes announcement was just the Beatles. How lame. Not sure how that's life changing but right on Apple :lol

And as vooks mentioned the current rumored price for the 3DS is $399? Ouch, Will pass. I was actually tempted to pick one up just to see what it was all about but $400 + god knows what each game will cost. Is a little too expensive for me.

Clipper

evlcookie said:
So the iTunes announcement was just the Beatles. How lame. Not sure how that's life changing but right on Apple :lol

And as vooks mentioned the current rumored price for the 3DS is $399? Ouch, Will pass. I was actually tempted to pick one up just to see what it was all about but $400 + god knows what each game will cost. Is a little too expensive for me.
Import.

Shaneus

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get an exchange (even though the pic on the website is different to the one I bought) I think:
This Business provides no advice or warranty as to the suitability and compatibility of goods purchased from this Business and it is the Customer's sole responsibility to ensure the
goods purchased are compatible and suitable for the intended purpose. Any assistance provided by the employees of the Business to the Customer is for guidance purposes only and does not in any way bind the Business as to the suitability of the goods for a purpose identified by the Customer. No refund or replacement for incompatibility of parts or software is offered by the Business unless agreed to under Clause 17 of these Terms.

Oh well, anyone interested in a brand new (still in unopened static bag, with receipt) for $239+shipping? It's one day old, still an absolute bargain (and will still overclock, just not a shitload)... just not what I'm looking for in a card :/

legend166

Shaneus said:
Doesn't look like I'll be able to get an exchange (even though the pic on the website is different to the one I bought) I think:

Oh well, anyone interested in a brand new (still in unopened static bag, with receipt) for $239+shipping? It's one day old, still an absolute bargain (and will still overclock, just not a shitload)... just not what I'm looking for in a card :/

Honestly, I was thinking about it. Then I realised I'd have to upgrade by E6750 so I don't have a bottleneck, and buy some more RAM so that didn't have a bottleneck. And I don't even know if my motherboard supports newer CPUs.

So that $239 quickly becomes at least $500 :lol

Shaneus

S'what I think, EF. I'm not going to chuck a hissy over it, because they do sell a reference card (by Asus) for $30 more which will do what I want. I did mention "reference" to the guy selling it but I don't think he knew what I meant (he just sort of nodded and agreed).

It's only the shrink wrap that's been (very, very carefully) opened anyway... the static bag is still sealed. They'd be able to use the card in a pre-built PC I'm sure.

Should I shoot them an email or would there be something legally binding (or you know... whatever) about putting something in writing?

Omikron

Onto actual gaming discussion, New Vegas is quite enjoyable, but the interface really frustrates me...

Whether it is the way everything (text, map icons) is too damn big on the screen, or just doesn't show enough options at a time (discussion options in particular), the way after you press tab it seems to take ages to respond before bringing up the pipboy, or the glitchy implementation of the VATS system...

Time to look into mods I think to tidy some of that up. Notch another game up to being semi-destroyed by a consolised interface. So frustrating.

rass

haha Jambo, that last pic is terrifying.
Turns out that instead of setting my PC up I went and got Grill'd, then played Angry Birds. I need a wireless dongle for my PC so I can put it in it's room and still get internet on it - any recommendations? I'm going to set it up on the dining table tonight haha, worst place for the only phone socket :/

Agyar

Shaneus said:
S'what I think, EF. I'm not going to chuck a hissy over it, because they do sell a reference card (by Asus) for $30 more which will do what I want. I did mention "reference" to the guy selling it but I don't think he knew what I meant (he just sort of nodded and agreed).

It's only the shrink wrap that's been (very, very carefully) opened anyway... the static bag is still sealed. They'd be able to use the card in a pre-built PC I'm sure.

Should I shoot them an email or would there be something legally binding (or you know... whatever) about putting something in writing?

Just take it back, say you asked for a reference card and were told this was the right one but after opening the box you identified that it wasn't and you'd like to exchange it for the other one. If they don't play ball, tell them it was confirmed to be the correct card by their salesperson and that you are happy to pay the difference to receive the correct card.

You really shouldn't have any issues with an exchange like this, although they may try to hit you with a restocking fee or something but you can just fight them based on the fact you asked if it was the reference model card.

Edit: Those terms and conditions are hogwash anyway, just push them for the outcome you want.

jambo

I'm addicted to CoD again. Dammit!

evlcookie said:
Not life changing, but it's good to see the biggest band ever finally get on iTunes.

Omi said:
Onto actual gaming discussion, New Vegas is quite enjoyable, but the interface really frustrates me...

Whether it is the way everything (text, map icons) is too damn big on the screen, or just doesn't show enough options at a time (discussion options in particular), the way after you press tab it seems to take ages to respond before bringing up the pipboy, or the glitchy implementation of the VATS system...

Time to look into mods I think to tidy some of that up. Notch another game up to being semi-destroyed by a consolised interface. So frustrating.

I actually finished New Vegas on Saturday, total playtime of about 60 hours.

Really enjoyed the first 57 hours, but the last 3 were kinda destroyed for me by the fact that the game would crash every 10 mins or so. I had experienced crashes all the way through but only every few hours. By the time I got to the final quest, every time I died the game would freeze on the load screen, requiring a good old fashioned ctrl-alt-del.

I was a little disappointed with the end but overall I really enjoyed the game, definitely in my top 3 for the year.

Tried to play some more Black Ops campaign (PC) but the stuttering is too much for me at the moment, I'll wait for a patch to fix that shit.

Trying to decide what to play next. I have Two Worlds 2 waiting, however I'm kinda thinking I might do another play-through of The Witcher first.

Also, the new Ass Creed looks good... until a couple of days ago I thought it was all multiplayer for some reason, which is why I hadn't thought twice about it. But a 20+ hour single player campaign? Sounds good. Does anyone know if it is out in stores yet?

rass

jambo said:
I'm addicted to CoD again. Dammit!

Not life changing, but it's good to see the biggest band ever finally get on iTunes.
you know how I broke my addiction to CoD? Got addicted to CS:S instead. I had to lose my internet connection to become not addicted to that. Willpower total.

jambo

I can't play CS or CS:S anymore. I played thousands of hours of it all through primary/high school.

I tried to play it again recently and just wasn't feeling it.

Omikron

BanShunsaku said:
I actually finished New Vegas on Saturday, total playtime of about 60 hours.

Really enjoyed the first 57 hours, but the last 3 were kinda destroyed for me by the fact that the game would crash every 10 mins or so. I had experienced crashes all the way through but only every few hours. By the time I got to the final quest, every time I died the game would freeze on the load screen, requiring a good old fashioned ctrl-alt-del.

Yah, had my first crash last night just before quitting, died, refused to load. Sigh. :)

ManeKast

Do GAME ship titles the day before release?

Watching my NFS Hot Pursuit order on pending, refreshing, anticipation is killing me.

Whos getting it on what format? After some thought went PS3, though still wondering (no PC option for me).

Choc

Banned
ManeKast said:
Do GAME ship titles the day before release?

Watching my NFS Hot Pursuit order on pending, refreshing, anticipation is killing me.

Whos getting it on what format? After some thought went PS3, though still wondering (no PC option for me).

nope they dont

Fredescu

I finished New Vegas around the 90 hour mark. The frequency of crashing didn't really increase for me, it was fairly consistent the whole way through. And yes, the interface sucks. Even modded.

Agyar

Fredescu said:
I finished New Vegas around the 90 hour mark. The frequency of crashing didn't really increase for me, it was fairly consistent the whole way through. And yes, the interface sucks. Even modded.

90 hours? Is there really that much content in it? I know Fallout 3 was meant to be pretty massive but that seems like a lot.

Omikron

Fredescu said:

I want to know who though it was a bright idea to make your 'flashlight' turn on/off by holding down the tab key. Genius move.

Choc said:
Football Manager 2011 is going to take over my life

i cant stop thinking about it

Haha... the sheer number of decisions you have to / can make in that game is staggering. It becomes obsessive sometimes, like finding the best coach you can for your tactical or maybe shooting training... :lol

MrSerrels

Choc said:

I haven't played a football management sim since Championship Manager Italia. :lol

Maybe I should get back into it. But on the other hand, I do enjoy life.

pilonv1

Choc said:

Welcome to the last two years of my life.

sn0y0g.jpg

I hope you're brining a Blue Square North/South team up and not playing EZ mode.

Fredescu

Agyar said:
90 hours? Is there really that much content in it? I know Fallout 3 was meant to be pretty massive but that seems like a lot.
I had unfinished quests at the end too. 90 is pretty high though, I wouldn't expect many people to get that on a single playthrough. I'm a fairly methodical explorer.

I already want to do another playthrough a different way, there are so many options and ways of going about things. I really want to cheat my way via console commands to level 30 and an awesome weapon and just kill every NPC and see if I can still finish the game.

Omikron

pilonv1 said:

I hope you're brining a Blue Square North/South team up and not playing EZ mode.

Playing as WHU first, then when I get bored, will pick some low end team :)

Choc

Banned
pilonv1 said:

sn0y0g.jpg

i wondered where the fuck you were recently:lol

I was talking to one of my work colleagues this morning, who also finished the game over the weekend. It was interesting to hear how the events of the game played out through his eyes (he sided with Caesar, I sided with NCR), and has already inspired me to play through again. I will be waiting until they patch some of the bugs out though, in the meantime I've pretty much decided I'm going to play through The Witcher again.

When I think through the games I have played through multiple times in the last few years, The Witcher is probably one I have gone back to the most. If my PC doesn't run the sequel, I will be forced to upgrade. Speaking of the Witcher 2, has anyone locally announced preorders for the limited edition?

Fake edit: The Witcher Enhanced Edition is $18 on ebgames.com.au. If you like RPGs and don't own it already there has never been a better time!

Agyar

So I ordered Super Ass Cream Bros from Play Asia, hoping it arrives before next weekend (which it should). I plan to finish Vanquish in the mean time, then dive into the multiplayer in that and the single player in AC2. Good plan or great plan? Anybody else planning on being a multiple ass bro?

pilonv1

Fuck you Channel 9

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/11/just-not-cricket-on-gem.html

Nine has pulled it’s simulcast of the First Test: Australia v England planned for GEM for tomorrow, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, to be replaced by various reruns of The Nanny, Sea Patrol, Secret Millionaire, McLeod’s Daughters and similar programming.

GEM pulled Rugby Leage Four Nations from GEM last weekend.

GEM also didn’t broadcast Australian Masters last week.

When Nine announced the launch of GEM in September its Press Release said:

GEM will be a mix of new content, classic comedies, cherished drama series, all-time favorite movies, and all of Nine’s sport coverage in high definition.

High definition sport will be seen on GEM until the digital switchover in December 2013.

pilonv1

Choc said:
i wondered where the fuck you were recently:lol

I haven't played FM since August or so. Skipped 11 for this reason, I'll get into it next year some time.

The Nintendo 3DS, $399?

Too lazy to find the link but that's the price I suggested when it was announced.

Choc

Banned
the cricket isnt tommorow is it

also channel 9 has now false advertised

last month they specifically said WATCH THE ASHES IN HD ON GEM

its like

the ratings on GEM in HD would far fucking outweigh the load of shit they will get for some shithouse shows they put on

useless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom