• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

Kinectimals supports voice chat out of the box. Similarly, changing your locale on your console unlocks voice commands on the Kinect Hub.

It seems the lack of voice control is a software lock decided by MS. Voice commands work if I change my console to a US locale. =/

Stackboy

Hey Ausgaf, help me out.

I want to get an iPhone (yes, I am laaaaaate to the party). Just want the 16 gig 4g model. Looking to spend at most $70 a month.

What provider should I seek to go through?

jambo

Stackboy said:
Hey Ausgaf, help me out.

I want to get an iPhone (yes, I am laaaaaate to the party). Just want the 16 gig 4g model. Looking to spend at most $70 a month.

Where do you live? If you're in a big city and don't really go out regional too much then Optus is a good option.

$59 cap gets you a $0 iPhone 4 16GB, $550 of calls, free SMS/MMS, 2GB of data and free tethering.

rass

Stackboy said:
Hey Ausgaf, help me out.

I have no issues with virgin
$54 a month for the 16gig 4

ShyGuy

Stackboy said:

For roughly $70/month you should be able to get the 32GB iPhone 4 from all of the providers for free! (or low price)

Telstra is the most expensive, $199 for the iPhone on the $79 plan. ($0 for 16gb)

However, everyone else should be free on a $79 plan.

That's for 32GB.

If you're at all planning on re-selling this iPhone, the 32GB is always worth more...

Rahk

Stackboy said:
Hey Ausgaf, help me out.

Depends what you're after. Telstra have the best mobile network and I'm happy with them so far. I'm on the $49 cap and that's more than enough for me. You don't really need more than 500MB data unless you're video streaming or something, and I don't make that many phone calls.

senahorse

Rahk said:
Depends what you're after. Telstra have the best mobile network and I'm happy with them so far. I'm on the $49 cap and that's more than enough for me. You don't really need more than 500MB data unless you're video streaming or something, and I don't make that many phone calls.

Same plan with iPhone 4G here, works well for me, the month is nearly over and I haven't even cracked 100MB

Stackboy

jambo said:
Where do you live? If you're in a big city and don't really go out regional too much then Optus is a good option.

$59 cap gets you a $0 iPhone 4 16GB, $550 of calls, free SMS/MMS, 2GB of data and free tethering.

I'd love to go with Optus, but they aren't taking orders for the 16gb model at the moment. That plan is perfect for me too.

rass

jambo said:
I use heaps of data. You guys are so Web 1.0
When I get a new MBP eventually, I'll use the shit out of my 2gb data. At the moment I use like 50mb tops, It's on wifi at home

Stackboy said:
I'd love to go with Optus, but they aren't taking orders for the 16gb model at the moment. That plan is perfect for me too.
dude, the plan is almost identical to the virgin $49 (plus $5/mo for the phone) plan (same network)

rass

Stackboy said:
Virgin website says they are out of stock.
it said they were out of stock when I got mine too, I just showed up at a kiosk and said I'd been waiting 6 weeks, iPhone in my hand 40 minutes later.

jambo

Stackboy said:
Damn. You could try going in to an Optus Store to see if they have any in stock, they are franchise stores and not attached to the online store.

It's a damn awesome plan, never have to worry about credit or data. Plus I just checked the Optus site and it says $700 in calls, not $550 so it may have been bumped up even further.

teekun

Nemesis556 said:
It seems the lack of voice control is a software lock decided by MS. Voice commands work if I change my console to a US locale. =/

Sounds like a quick fix after QA discovered that it wasn't reliable with Australian accents or something. Might as well disable the feature altogether than deal with the complaints about how badly it works.

Agyar

Stackboy said:
Hey Ausgaf, help me out.

I got my iPhone 4 through Telstra. By calling up and ordering over the phone you can get a $200 welcome credit. As well, they've extended their 50% off data packs promotion. The thing that makes this deal great is that you can change the data pack on an existing plan. I took their $49 cap ($400 calls, 500MB data), removed the data pack (-$10) and added a 3GB data pack for $24.50. Total cost is $63.50 per month and either $199 or $299 up front depending on whether you get a 16GB or 32GB model (this is all before the welcome credit).

Fredescu

jambo said:
Plus I just checked the Optus site and it says $700 in calls, not $550 so it may have been bumped up even further.
The bulk of that $550 is calls to only Optus though right? Pretty much everyone but Telstra does that. GET A MILLION DOLLARS* WORTH OF PHONE CALLS

* $999 950 to optus phones, $50 to others.

The Telstra plans with the half price data packs are definitely the best plans out there.

jambo

I'm pretty sure calls to Optus are free. They are on my bill.

The $550/$700 is just normal credit. I call people on Telstra/Vodafone all the time.

Just got a 32GB on Telstra - $49/month, $299 upfront, $400 of calls/messages and 500MB of data. Seems like a great deal to me, plus you'll never have to worry about your connectivity. Even if Telstra are bastards...

Shaneus

Confirmed, MSY Geelong kicks all kinds of arse. Went in, told my story and he was all "Did you test it out?". Told him I wasn't sure if they'd still take it back and he replied "Of course! We're all good here, we'll treat you well!". The guy was more than happy to let me exchange for something else, so I'm now a few more dollars lighter but have a card that will allow voltage tweaking out of the box (the Asus 5850).

Seriously, insanely fucking impressed... mind you, this was 10 min before closing so I don't know how they are when busy, but given that's pretty much the only time I'll be in there, I don't care.

Mar

Poimandres said:
So, cheapest local NFS where?

I think GAME has it cheapest at 88, though I just went to JB and got it for 89.

Yes, I caved and bought the game. The clincher? My wife is away tonight, so I figured I'd bust out some beers and enjoy the game I've been waiting all year for.

Agyar

Mar said:
I think GAME has it cheapest at 88, though I just went to JB and got it for 89.

Yes, I caved and bought the game. The clincher? My wife is away tonight, so I figured I'd bust out some beers and enjoy the game I've been waiting all year for.

What about the unskippable preview or whatever it is?

Frawdder

Agyar said:
To be fair, it's only a one time thing and it runs for 86 seconds. Not that much different from all the crap you get from DVD/Blu-Rays these days.

But on principle it is poor form.

Agyar

Frawdder said:
To be fair, it's only a one time thing and it runs for 86 seconds. Not that much different from all the crap you get from DVD/Blu-Rays these days.

But on principle it is poor form.

And it does it every single time you boot up the game?

Mar

Agyar said:

Insulting, annoying, but if it's a once off I'm willing to let it slide this time. I walked out of the room while it was playing.

evlcookie said:
I look forward to your impressions Mar.

commanderdeek said:

I wasn't very impressed after watching the gb quick look so I'm definitely interested in what you think about the game.

The game is amazingly fun, which is nowhere near apparent from the demo. Immediately it becomes obvious that there are a large number of events and a large number of cars that vary significantly from one another.

The demo paints a picture of slow cars and two types of events, races and 'takedown' events. This couldn't be further from the truth. In fact just about every event has been a different situation and I've put in quite a few hours now.

Another area that I was pleasantly surprised with is that there are lots more events than I initially believed there were. The roads may seem to be lacking in number but I've hardly played the same track twice, and every track has a large number of further completely different events associated that are unlocked later on.

Driving the different cars make entirely new experiences, with some so fast they are white knuckle all the way through, others slow and methodical. But to be sure there are less than interesting tracks with slow uninteresting cars. But those are very few and far between.

Occasionally there are events with stupidly fast cars like the Zonda or McLaren F1 that are exhilarating to the extreme.

Strangely, in some ways, this game reminds me of Road Rash. Long stretches of road where you barrel down as fast as you can until you wreck in spectacular fashion. I could almost hear Rob Hubbard's classic tunes playing in my head as I flew up and down the hills and through forests.

The multiplayer is a blast. Pretty much my entire time with the game was played with a friend in party chat, and him beating all my times as I set them (annoyingly. He's quite good at racing games). Then we hopped into the actual multiplayer modes and that was so enjoyable that eventually we had to just leave as we were both really tired. 8 player events with 4 cops and 4 racers was exciting for every second you were able to stay in the race. Heart breaking when you got taken out.

So, while I've only played around 4 hours so far, I'd say it's exceeded my expectations. Keeping in mind that those expectations were not "I want another Burnout Paradise", but "I'd like another really cool driving game that's goaty material". So far it's delivered on all fronts.

Holy shit. So at some point since last summer the cockroaches in my apartment have leveled up, and gained the "Flying" skill. :-(

Also, Super Ass Bros. is really good. I'll post some more thoughts later when I'm at work procrastinating.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
viewtifulsub said:
That show was terrible, a poor man's "Round the Twist". What was up with the dad's obsession with shitcans?

It's sub, he hasn't forgotten about us! :D

Interesting impressions Mar. So i guess the demo was just really shitty compared to the final product.

Darklord

Banned
viewtifulsub said:
That show was terrible, a poor man's "Round the Twist". What was up with the dad's obsession with shitcans?

You're thinking of the Wayne Manifesto. Genie from Down Under was awesome.

Thinking about old shows. What's that old show that had Mark Mitchell and those fucking WEIRD talking backpacks? There was like a cactus with an eye too. God, that show was bizarre even for me as a kid.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Waynes parents are fucking pricks.

WHO PRETENDS THEIR CHILD SLEPT THROUGH CHRISTMAS SO THEY DONT HAVE TO BUY HIM A PRESENT.

There was also a major fault in that he like went back to school 2 days after Christmas... was this made by Americans? GAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom