• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
evlcookie said:
First thing I do when i walk in the door at work, put on some marshmellow!

It's friday and i don't give a fuck :lol

Today I am in for an extremely slow day, so I am uncharacteristically posting on the neogafs! Or at the least, this thread. As I suspect hitting up too many pages on this site will spike this school's bandwidth usage up too much and suddenly become NOTICEABLE!

So as long as I stay behind minecraft.net and google.com, I should be fine.

God, fridays. :(

Mar

evlcookie said:
Interesting impressions Mar. So i guess the demo was just really shitty compared to the final product.

I am not over exaggerating when saying they seemed to have picked the two worst events in the game for that demo.

A-150-555129-1154835158.jpeg

I thought this shit was hilarious when I was ten years old.

How anyone older than that ever thought Comedy Company was funny is beyond me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Sad question time. I think i need to order a cab for tomorrow after metallica, so i can get home without getting stabbed. Never done that before :lol

Is it as easy as i imagine it to be? Call up just before i arrive at the station and then wait for the fuck to turn up? Or is there a better way to go about it?

rass

evlcookie said:
Sad question time. I think i need to order a cab for tomorrow after metallica, so i can get home without getting stabbed. Never done that before :lol

Is it as easy as i imagine it to be? Call up just before i arrive at the station and then wait for the fuck to turn up? Or is there a better way to go about it?
which station? There should be taxis chilling out front if it's a majorish one (manned station)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
rass said:
which station? There should be taxis chilling out front if it's a majorish one (manned station)

Depends. If i get off at dandenong there's a good chance there could be some taxi's floating about and i could get stabbed.

If i get off at Hallam then there's a good chance there might be a homeless dude and no taxis. I don't think i've ever seen a taxi at hallam station at night, maybe that's changed though but it's not really a major station so probably not.

Shaneus

remz said:
I'm of the opinion that the new need for speed rocks.

Playing on 360.
How's it look? I'm thinking of jumping in on PC but with practically zero online community (if it doesn't use Steam or GFWL it can fuck right off) I'd be happy to take a slight graphical hit if it means I can actually find a game online.

Kritz

Banned
codswallop said:
Tell me about it. Nothing like dealing with unwieldy batch scripts used to automate an even more unwieldy manual process... which other people have since changed and I have no idea how they've been changed.

Also: You wish this was your grandma.

Dude I am trying to get a legacy-*** friggin educational program running that doesn't work with an IE version higher than 6, and we don't know where the origional disc is so I'm installing it from this dodgy MSI package someone about 5 years ago put together and it keeps throwing up errors to no end.

Their support guy I'm in contact with is no help, and I'm considering trying to get someone to rip me an image of a CD from another site and hoping we have our SN lying around somewhere.

And I have nothing else to do for this entire day, so I guess I'm gonna have loads of fun.

rass

evlcookie said:
Depends. If i get off at dandenong there's a good chance there could be some taxi's floating about and i could get stabbed.

If i get off at Hallam then there's a good chance there might be a homeless dude and no taxis. I don't think i've ever seen a taxi at hallam station at night, maybe that's changed though but it's not really a major station so probably not.
just take some mace haha
maybe just suck it up and taxi from the city all the way out?

So CoD: Black OPs (Cracked case though :( ) turned up the same day I picked up AC:B :lol

Had to decide which to play first......AC:B it was, pretty awesome thus far, so much shit to do though which is good.

Any know how long the campaign is for CoD:BLOPS?

I went to that Need for Speed promo Big Boi show at the hordern.

Damn Big Boi is gooooood live, unlike 99% of hip hop shows he seemed to give a fuck AND can write a song like a moerfuka. Awesome.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
ManeKast said:
Is Metallica STILL in Australia? Seems like ages ago I saw them, Brisbane show.

Yea they toured early i think in september? Then floated around and came back for all their originally planned shows throughout november.

I don't think there's many stabbings but it's not a great place to get off the train at night. It's turned to shit in the past few years. Good chance there's some cops floating around though and taxis.

Kritz

Banned
evlcookie said:
Yea they toured early i think in september? Then floated around and came back for all their originally planned shows throughout november.

I don't think there's many stabbings but it's not a great place to get off the train at night. It's turned to shit in the past few years. Good chance there's some cops floating around though and taxis.

Ah, the simple pleasures of Tasmania.

Not being stabbed.

Also not being able to take trams / trains as transport.

ManeKast

evlcookie said:

Cant book a limo to/from event? On the Brisbane/Goldy we always do this, pretty cheap up here (four of us, $80 - 100 each to and from 1 hour each way, and they wait outside).

Enjoy the show!

hamchan

DualShadow said:
So CoD: Black OPs (Cracked case though :( ) turned up the same day I picked up AC:B :lol

Had to decide which to play first......AC:B it was, pretty awesome thus far, so much shit to do though which is good.

Any know how long the campaign is for CoD:BLOPS?
Short, 4-6 hours on normal.

Shaneus

Looking at getting a Driving Force GT for GT5 next week (and some PC use)... best price so far is $138 @ DSE. Anyone know cheaper?

Also looking for impressions... if I can use it on PC with F1, NFS, Burnout etc. then I'll be a happy camper.

Agyar

DualShadow said:
Thanks I might knock it over on the weekend then continue with AC:B.

Anyone else playing AC:B on Xbox360 keen for some multiplayer some time?

I will be when my copy arrives next week (so probably playing next weekend). Add me on XBL - "agyar too".

This goes for anyone wanting to be an Ass Bro.

I originally wrote "I will be when my coffee arrives...". Way to be subtle, subconscious.

legend166

I don't even know what Ass Bro is.

I mean, I know it's an Assassin's Creed game, but apart from that I'm in the dark. I only ever played the first one for about 10 hours, then got bored like everyone else. I'm waiting for the second to go on sale for about $5 on Steam and then hoping to hack out the stupid DRM.

rass

legend166 said:
I don't even know what Ass Bro is.

I mean, I know it's an Assassin's Creed game, but apart from that I'm in the dark. I only ever played the first one for about 10 hours, then got bored like everyone else. I'm waiting for the second to go on sale for about $5 on Steam and then hoping to hack out the stupid DRM.
Haha I got the first for $5 on steam and lasted about 45 minutes before I couldn't be bothered. I probably would have played longer if I had a pad - kb/m didn't do it for me in that game.

Kritz said:
Dude I am trying to get a legacy-*** friggin educational program running that doesn't work with an IE version higher than 6
I can beat that. The lock in the fireproof safe in a different office in which some of our backup tapes located has broken (for the second time; though last time it broke it was open), and the safe is closed and locked.

Agyar said:
I will be when my copy arrives next week (so probably playing next weekend). Add me on XBL - "agyar too".

This goes for anyone wanting to be an Ass Bro.

I originally wrote "I will be when my coffee arrives...". Way to be subtle, subconscious.

Sounds good I'll add you when I get home :D

Don't forget its a public forum now so everyone can see your tag.

Stackboy

So I was signing up for a Vodafone plan with a 32gig iPhone last night and their systems were down. The guy at the kiosk said it might take up to an hour, so I got my personal details back off them and decided to do it another day.

Kritz

Banned
codswallop said:
I can beat that. The lock in the fireproof safe in a different office in which some of our backup tapes located has broken (for the second time; though last time it broke it was open), and the safe is closed and locked.

Haha.

Our fireproof safe has its lock broken, but is currently still open. But if we accidentally close it, it's closed for good (or until we can get someone to fix it).

And we have a new policy applying to all PCs that sets them to lock after 20 minutes of inactivity - fairly standard stuff, but not so helpful when you're working between a special needs school where the kids will get really super effin' angry if they can't get into their computers and a primary school where if a PC is locked, the kids keep trying to log on until they lock the account for half an hour.

Because the lower primary kids all use the same generic account, you have entire labs / classrooms of kids unable to use computers and some fairly not-happy teachers who have had their lesson plans go up in smoke.

At least it's made today a little more interesting.

Agyar

DualShadow said:
Sounds good I'll add you when I get home :D

Don't forget its a public forum now so everyone can see your tag.

I don't mind, my XBL tag is a public thing. Not like you have to add me with my credit card number or something.

Anyone on XBL feel free to add me, I don't play a whole lot of multiplayer but I will be up for Ass Bro, Super Street Fighter 4 against people who are worse than me, sending random messages about butts or spying on your achievements.

Also add me on twitter (lorcanw) if you want.

jambo

We have all the PCs lock after 15-20 minutes, but a few users have been changed because they get all mad at it.

Also a few people have had the same password for like 3 years.

Kritz

Banned
jambo said:
We have all the PCs lock after 15-20 minutes, but a few users have been changed because they get all mad at it.

Also a few people have had the same password for like 3 years.

For about 3 years one of my schools had been using the same, single password on all their class accounts. Somewhere along the line, a new class was set up and because the account creation was done through a more recent process, the account had its password reset every 90 days, which is our standard.

For a while this was fine, but the teacher eventually learned that other classrooms had a single password that always stayed the same, and she started complaining that she wasn't getting equal treatment.

From this complaint, we then reset every student account in the school to have the same, newer security settings as everyone else. So suddenly, teachers and students had to change their passwords, which lead to them requiring to REMEMBER their passwords, and made it so they couldn't log onto other people's accounts.

The school was mad as mad can be at us, although things have finally settled down as the teachers found that they can set passwords to spelling words that the kids always get wrong, which forces them to remember how something's spelled (like principal or because or friend).

They're still not COMPLETELY happy with the change, but at the least, the origional teacher has since quieted down, least she admit to the rest of the staff that she was the one who dobbed everyone in. Morale of the story? Dunno. IT staff are jerks, or something.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Stackboy said:
So I was signing up for a Vodafone plan with a 32gig iPhone last night and their systems were down. The guy at the kiosk said it might take up to an hour, so I got my personal details back off them and decided to do it another day.

I think vodaphone might be releasing new plans ... I'm not sure though. Didn't hear it from me!

Agyar

Kritz said:
For about 3 years one of my schools had been using the same, single password on all their class accounts. Somewhere along the line, a new class was set up and because the account creation was done through a more recent process, the account had its password reset every 90 days, which is our standard.

For a while this was fine, but the teacher eventually learned that other classrooms had a single password that always stayed the same, and she started complaining that she wasn't getting equal treatment.

From this complaint, we then reset every student account in the school to have the same, newer security settings as everyone else. So suddenly, teachers and students had to change their passwords, which lead to them requiring to REMEMBER their passwords, and made it so they couldn't log onto other people's accounts.

The school was mad as mad can be at us, although things have finally settled down as the teachers found that they can set passwords to spelling words that the kids always get wrong, which forces them to remember how something's spelled (like principal or because or friend).

They're still not COMPLETELY happy with the change, but at the least, the origional teacher has since quieted down, least she admit to the rest of the staff that she was the one who dobbed everyone in. Morale of the story? Dunno. IT staff are jerks, or something.

I remember in High School, all accounts had a generic password that was the same as the username. This was useful as staff accounts had unlimited internet access and quota and all it took was some lateral thinking about which 70 year-old Manual Arts teachers would never have bothered logging into their accounts.

jambo

I remember in High School, the IT Dept decided that it was a good idea to remove all security from shared folders and servers when they were doing maintenance for a few weeks. They also decided it was a good idea to have an excel file with everyone's usernames and passwords sitting in a now freely accessible folder on the network.

Much fun was had.

Then I was ratted out and almost got banned from using any school PCs in Yr12. That would've hurt my IT mark some what...

:lol :lol :lol

Agyar said:
I remember in High School, all accounts had a generic password that was the same as the username. This was useful as staff accounts had unlimited internet access and quota and all it took was some lateral thinking about which 70 year-old Manual Arts teachers would never have bothered logging into their accounts.
A number of times in high school and higher education I gained access to servers I shouldn't have by peering over people's shoulders as they typed a password with a sideways glance. Since most people use regular words it only takes a bit of deduction to get the right one.

You'd have thought having full admin access to all the servers and computers would've made you a hero in high school, but instead it just pointed you out as more of a nerd. OK, not really a surprise. But had a lot of power...

Shaneus said:
Looking at getting a Driving Force GT for GT5 next week (and some PC use)... best price so far is $138 @ DSE. Anyone know cheaper?

Also looking for impressions... if I can use it on PC with F1, NFS, Burnout etc. then I'll be a happy camper.

I got lucky and found one at DSE for $99 a couple of months back. $138 is still a great price.

You can totally use it on PC with F1. Wikipedia lists the games it works with - Burnout Paradise, DiRT, GRID, and the 4 previous NFS titles are on there (among others), but Hot Pursuit isn't - yet? It seems like it should support the wheel, it does for PS3.

Shaneus

jambo said:
I remember in High School, the IT Dept decided that it was a good idea to remove all security from shared folders and servers when they were doing maintenance for a few weeks. They also decided it was a good idea to have an excel file with everyone's usernames and passwords sitting in a now freely accessible folder on the network.

Much fun was had.

Then I was ratted out and almost got banned from using any school PCs in Yr12. That would've hurt my IT mark some what...

:lol :lol :lol
One of my friends in high school managed to create a screen in Java (or was it VB? eh) that essentially faked the login screen and logged everyone's password that tried to login to a local text file. It flinged back an "incorrect password" box and closed itself, back to the original login screen :lol

Edit: Cheers Ankh. Sounds like it might be a good investment, despite not working on 360 (though I could only ever imagine using it mostly on PC anyway, not enough awesome racers on 360). With any luck it'll support Outrun C2C on PC as well... that would be badass.

That 250GB 360 Slim with Kinect bundle for $480 or so at Harvey norman is awfully tempting apart from:

-No job in the short term and when it does happen it's 99% certain to be in Europe or North America

-no kinect games I want to play that badly for more than 10 mins (or any on the horizon)

-playing Blops and New Vegas on PC this year, (but still have 360 versions of MoH, Ass Bro and fable III on the horizon)

-I still have my working 2006 AU launch 360 that's working perfectly since it was fixed by MS twice in 2007. It's been working perfectly and hasn't skipped a beat in over three years and I play most games on 360. Perfectly. It just won't die. Did I mention it was working perfectly? 100% fully functioning.

- My old Xbox still works perfectly. Did I mention this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom