• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

VOOK said:
A certain AusGAFFer should check out my website.
I wondered if it might have been me, with you discovering something about region locking on the 3DS or something. Then I find out I was only half-right :D.

So orange DSi in America, huh? Must resist urge to purchase... 3DS is so close...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Clipper said:
I wondered if it might have been me, with you discovering something about region locking on the 3DS or something. Then I find out I was only half-right :D.

So orange DSi in America, huh? Must resist urge to purchase... 3DS is so close...

I wish it was about that, would be epic news.

DSi colours is not really, someone here won a competition :p

Clipper

VOOK said:
I wish it was about that, would be epic news.

DSi colours is not really, someone here won a competition :p
Ah, I thought it was a reference to how I'm crazily dreaming for the orange 3DS to become reality. It better come out, someday! How could anyone not love this:
nintendo-3ds-color-orange.jpg

Anyway, congrats to the contest winner, whoever they may be.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have a LastFM, so I'll summarise:

Guitars and distorted pop melodies

VOOK

I want the purple one. Also the red one, so someone I know doesn't kill me.

Clipper

VOOK said:
I want the purple one. Also the red one, so someone I know doesn't kill me.
I'm happy for those colours too, and red seems like it won't take too long until it comes out, if it isn't already planned as a launch colour in non-Japanese territories. Orange will be mine wherever it releases, though. I just have to have it.

I don't know how I can resist the orange US DSi, though, now. My thoughts go to wondering whether this is a test to see if the colour will sell. Wondering whether my purchasing of the orange DSi could improve chances of the orange 3DS being released is not a healthy prospect for my wallet...

VOOK

Clipper said:
I'm happy for those colours too, and red seems like it won't take too long until it comes out, if it isn't already planned as a launch colour in non-Japanese territories. Orange will be mine wherever it releases, though. I just have to have it.

I don't know how I can resist the orange US DSi, though, now. My thoughts go to wondering whether this is a test to see if the colour will sell. Wondering whether my purchasing of the orange DSi could improve chances of the orange 3DS being released is not a healthy prospect for my wallet...

I too will most likely be getting more than 1 3DS, then the games... oh my :(

Clipper

VOOK said:
I too will most likely be getting more than 1 3DS, then the games... oh my :(
Well, you already said you'll be getting the Japanese one at launch, and given that it will almost certainly be region locked, you'll need to get an Aussie one for the site.

Add to that a US one for playing games that haven't released here yet...

VOOK

Clipper said:
Well, you already said you'll be getting the Japanese one at launch, and given that it will almost certainly be region locked, you'll need to get an Aussie one for the site.

Add to that a US one for playing games that haven't released here yet...

Well if the AU launch is March then the media might be able to get them not far after the Japanese launch, I'm being optimistic here, I never expect to get hardware.

But yeah, 3 3DS's? Could happen :(

markot

Banned
Neverender said:
Not sure if it has been discussed but does anyone know where I can get a cheaper copy of Civ V for Mac?
Wait for sales imo, should be a steam sale this week for tanksgiving, but should definately be in the Xmas sales. Not a big cut, but im guessin 20% >.>

Deeku

VOOK said:
That would be the worst.
Shaneus said:
Seems that quite a few Americans are getting their hands on GT5 right now... chances of us getting it today or tomorrow? Probably fuck all :(
Have you got your driving force yet? Apparently dse is low on in store stock. Most people seem to be going to JB and price matching. Hopefully I can get one tomorrow morning.

Bernbaum

The Poker Night at the Inventory QLEX has the voices of Ryan Davis, Brad Shoemaker, Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanoman and is surreal and wonderful and like eating chocolate dipped into creamy creamy Nutella.

Ydahs

10m HDMI cable get! Should be here tomorrow. PC Gaming on my 40" Bravia is now a possibility :D

Now for that wireless keyboard... meh, I'll use my laptop as a remote keyboard in the meantime!

Fredescu

Neverender said:
Not sure if it has been discussed but does anyone know where I can get a cheaper copy of Civ V for Mac?
You should find out if you can just get the retail PC version. It's Steam Play, which means if you buy it on PC you can play it on both PC and Mac. I'm not 100% sure if that works for retail copies too, but since it's Steamworks I think it would. In which case this is a good price: http://www.ozgameshop.com/pc-games/sid-meiers-civilization-v-5-game-pc

CryptiK

VOOK said:
Well if the AU launch is March then the media might be able to get them not far after the Japanese launch, I'm being optimistic here, I never expect to get hardware.

VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK do you use UK pal Club Nintendo codes?

Choc

Banned
so like i predicted Foxtel on 360 is unmetered on Bigpond internet. Tons of people are not having usage counted when using the system.

CALLED IT

VOOK

CryptiK said:
VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK do you use UK pal Club Nintendo codes?

I don't but I do have friends who can.

Oh and Donkey Kong Country Returns, is amazing. :D

CryptiK

VOOK said:
I don't but I do have friends who can.

Oh and Donkey Kong Country Returns, is amazing. :D
do you think any of them would swap for Aussie codes? If not I'll just PM you them and you can hand them over.

Nemesis_

Choc said:
so like i predicted Foxtel on 360 is unmetered on Bigpond internet. Tons of people are not having usage counted when using the system.

CALLED IT

Cos, you know, Telstra have nothing to do with Foxtel or anything. >_>

Darklord

Banned
Choc said:

CALLED IT

Sweet so now I can pay $40 for a tenth of the quota and get unmetered Foxtel!

Bernbaum

I'm close to using up my data quota on my telstra iPhone. What happens if I use it all up?

For context, my previous phone was a $40 Nokia that had buttons and stuff on the front and maybe a camera I can't remember...

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:
I'm close to using up my data quota on my telstra iPhone. What happens if I use it all up?

For context, my previous phone was a $40 Nokia that had buttons and stuff on the front and maybe a camera I can't remember...

they don't tell you that you have done so and start to charge you a fee per mb which is quite high

d4533

Bernbaum said:

You can still use your data, you'll just be charged "$0.25 per MB (charged per KB or part)". So probably best not to use too much.

I think they've also started turning off data usage if you start going too far over your monthly cap.

Fredescu

d4533 said:
I think they've also started turning off data usage if you start going too far over your monthly cap.
The nice Telstra lady told me that if I wanted to go over my cap I would have to opt in to do it. I couldn't do it accidentally. I haven't tested this theory yet.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:

I'd turn off Cell Data.

So there are a few things that bug me in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

• Some missions are instafail if you're detected (OK on occasion, but there are quite a few). If I wanted to play old school Splinter Cell I'd play that, thank you very much.
  • Missions have checkpoints (good), but if you fail a 100% sync challenge, and decide to die to restart at the last checkpoint to try and get that 100% sync, it doesn't matter as you've already failed that challenge. And if you restart from a checkpoint your ammo doesn't replenish. The game never tells you this.
  • Shop Quests require certain items to be found, but it's totally hit-and-miss on how you find them. It's not really a "quest", but just luck of whether you get the right items.
  • Certain areas are arbitrarily locked -- even small pockets of the world are unavailable just because it doesn't suit the story. At least the previous games opened up districts at a time, which was fine.
  • The game tries to introduce you to all these new concepts (like using the assassins during fights) through forced missions, but allows you to use them earlier. So I've already figured things out for myself but then have forced missions to learn these things.
  • And then other big concepts (like being a total badass being able to do instakill after instakill) are only ever shown on loading menus. But are 100% sync challenges in some missions.
  • Some "missions" are just cutscenes. So I travel halfway across the map for a cutscene? Yay?
  • When you call the horse it often knocks you over and runs past you to where ever you were when you called it. After Red Dead Redemption's awesome handling of this, it's a massive failure.
  • All the guild challenges are a good idea, but it's so hard to figure out what they are and there's no information on what you get out of it, they seem pointless.

All these are annoyances at most, but considering they were all introduced since the last game I find it really odd. They're also adding up to one big annoyance with the game. And also the controls are no better than in previous games, which is incredibly frustrating since we're on the third game in the series and they haven't improved at all.

Hmm, that was a lot more rant than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom