• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

Well shit. My 10m HDMI cable arrived and I just found out my damn PC has no HDMI port :lol. I could have sworn a GTX260 has an HDMI output but oh well. Good thing I have a DVI to HDMI converter, but this means no sound :(

Still, tried out L4D in 1080p and it looked great. Now to convince my brothers to let me install custom firmware on the Wii to rip those games...

Oh dear. It seems we've resorted to mobile carrier fanboyism.

Soo... Fords are better than Holdens, bro. Collingwood sucks, mate. Bose couldn't design their way out of a paper bag, yo.

Frawdder

codswallop said:

Soo... Fords are better than Holdens, bro. Collingwood sucks, mate. Bose couldn't design their way out of a paper bag, yo.
Wrong. Don't care. The truth.

Fredescu

Yeah, it's completely impossible that there are sound provable technical reasons why one carrier is better than another. It must be irrational fanboyism. Someone better tell the ACCC about those Telstra mobile ads. Works better in more places? Nah, works fine for jambo.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
codswallop said:

Not fanboyism, facts man.

I had my mobile with Telstra for about ten years, had a few bad experiences with their customer service and decided to port to Optus...

Worst decision I ever made. Went from having awesome 3G coverage in my apartment with Telstra to having to stand near the window in my living room just to keep my calls from dropping out. Also, the Optus reception in my office is horrid... I have to walk outside just to make calls. And I work and live in metro Sydney.

The day my contract runs out next July I will be heading straight into a Telstra shop to port back... I'm willing to put up with shit customer service if it means I can at least make a damn phone call.

Also, if anyone really thinks there is no difference in the networks try living in rural Australia.

Just my 2c.

jambo

Obviously Telstra are the only choice if you are in a rural area, but I've never had any issues with coverage or drop outs in metro Adelaide and even all the way down the south coast.

EDIT: Probably due to Adelaide being flat and having no tall buildings :lol

Ydahs

jambo said:
Get an optical toslink cable bro
I think the PC supports it (port called SPDIF which flashes red) but would this work with a Bravia? I checked the back of the TV and it only says optical audio out. Wouldn't I need an optical audio in or am I confusing terminology?

I have a serious hard-on for the Assassin's Creed franchise this week. Been playing ACII and loving every minute of it. So much so that I actually bought an Ezio costume for my 360 avatar (my first ever avatar related purchase).

Whilst I was in the avatar accessory marketplace, I also purchased Kermit the Frog, who sits on a log and plays a banjo and makes a rainbow. I still can't work out whether I am ashamed or proud as fuck of my digital Kermit.

Choc

Banned
actually

driving from Tullamarine to Echuca, Next G dropped about five times

so 98% of the population, not so sure,

then again this was my colleagues ipad which was dropping so may not necessarily reflect mobile phones

Ydahs

jambo said:
Yeah damn, you'd need an optical in for that to work =[

Unless you can pass it through a receiver.
Damn. Well, there is a black port (looks like a headphone port) that is labeled PC/HDMI audio in. Guess that's my last hope?

All four laptops in my household have a bloody HDMI port with working audio, yet my gaming PC does not. WHY?!

Choc said:
actually

driving from Tullamarine to Echuca, Next G dropped about five times

so 98% of the population, not so sure,

then again this was my colleagues ipad which was dropping so may not necessarily reflect mobile phones

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Telstra probably doesn't cover as many people as they claim. I don't even like Telstra, and I don't look forward to crawling back to them!

I grew up on a farm (30km from the nearest township) until I was 18 and my parents (who still live there) only got Telstra mobile coverage a few years ago. They still struggle to make a call and do most of their mobile stuff through sms.

BanShunsaku said:
I have a serious hard-on for the Assassin's Creed franchise this week. Been playing ACII and loving every minute of it. So much so that I actually bought an Ezio costume for my 360 avatar (my first ever avatar related purchase).

Whilst I was in the avatar accessory marketplace, I also purchased Kermit the Frog, who sits on a log and plays a banjo and makes a rainbow. I still can't work out whether I am ashamed or proud as fuck of my digital Kermit.

Wait till you play AC:B :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm just lucky. My Optus 3g is flawless in semi-rural Australia, flawless along the Hume on the way home and flawless in the Northern and inner-suburbs of Melbourne.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Cohsae said:
I wish I had the time to be keeping up with SC2 atm.
So bummed I missed the final of GSL 2. Any idea on when GOM will make old matches open for free viewing?

doubt they will, you can buy old seasons for like $9, or dual seasons (current and s2) for like $25, dont think they'll ever make all the vods free.. although, if you can view this http://www.gomtv.net/classic/vod/251 with an account that u havent bought any season tickets with,.. there may be hope one day

Shaneus

I think my phone needs to be properly unlocked still... installed an unlock app through Cydia and Telstra came up after I restarted. Assume that's the case, anyway.

Those with 3GS phones on Telstra: does the network ever say NextG or is the best 3G?

These are great: http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/

ovc%23242.jpg

ovc%23212.jpg

Stackboy

Any picks for JJJ's hottest 100 for 2010? I think it will either be Angus and Julias Stone "Big Jet Plane" or Cee-Loo Green "F*%k You".

legend166

I beat Vanquish last night. Really good game, though I had no idea what was going on in the story (probably because I skipped the opening cutscene and didn't pay attention to any of the rest of it).

Vanquish spoilers (as if any one cares):
Why did the President shoot herself in the head? Why did Sam go from chasing generic army leader and trying to kill him to being friends with him again within about two seconds?

Once I beat it, instead of getting onto my backlog, which includes Valkyria Chronicles, A Boy and His Blob, Resident Evil 5, Darksiders, a bunch of games on Steam, etc; I decided to replay Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. The power of Mikami.

Man, that game is ugly as heck on HDTVs. Blur city. Playing through with upgraded weapons is awesome though. I need to save up and get the infinite rocket.

Cohsae

Stackboy said:
Any picks for JJJ's hottest 100 for 2010? I think it will either be Angus and Julias Stone "Big Jet Plane" or Cee-Loo Green "F*%k You".
Cee-Lo is awesome, don't know if I can think of anything from this year that's more likely to take it, although I don't really listen to jjj much so I have no idea what's been popular on the radio.
The Hottest 100 seems to drift further and further from my tastes every year. There's always a few songs on there that I like and haven't heard before, but my enthusiasm for the whole thing is getting rather low.

Cohsae said:
Cee-Lo is awesome, don't know if I can think of anything from this year that's more likely to take it, although I don't really listen to jjj much so I have no idea what's been popular on the radio.
The Hottest 100 seems to drift further and further from my tastes every year. There's always a few songs on there that I like and haven't heard before, but my enthusiasm for the whole thing is getting rather low.
I listen to Triple J all day at work and I'm still with you on that.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
I beat Vanquish last night. Really good game, though I had no idea what was going on in the story (probably because I skipped the opening cutscene and didn't pay attention to any of the rest of it).

Vanquish spoilers (as if any one cares):
Why did the President shoot herself in the head? Why did Sam go from chasing generic army leader and trying to kill him to being friends with him again within about two seconds?

Once I beat it, instead of getting onto my backlog, which includes Valkyria Chronicles, A Boy and His Blob, Resident Evil 5, Darksiders, a bunch of games on Steam, etc; I decided to replay Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. The power of Mikami.

Man, that game is ugly as heck on HDTVs. Blur city. Playing through with upgraded weapons is awesome though. I need to save up and get the infinite rocket.

because its a bat shit crazy japanese game legend thats why

Choc

Banned
Telstra split bill has passed senate

Telstra will officially be split.

If you have shares SELL, this is going to f them up

ShyGuy

Choc said:
so apparently GT5 is out NAO

ie broken
I just went to EBGames Elizabeth St and they wouldn't sell it to me, this was 5 mins ago

Admittedly I didn't try or call anywhere else, just walked in there on a whim

jambo

EBGames broke the street release date so JBHiFi Adelaide are selling it.

Gonna run down after work and pick it up for $79 :D

Shaneus

Yeah, if you're posting that its broken, say where. I think eb will break if other local stores have, but that's it.
I just hate how a game can be release o/s whenever but they can't release it here at that time. Globalisation etc etc ffs.

If the night's warm like the last couple I probably wouldn't be able to sleep anyways. Off to my 24hr kmart then!

Anyone know what kmart is selling gt5 for?

Ps. Telstra indeed awesome. Solid 4-5 bars so far and almost in werribee.

Ydahs

Sweet. Just found a two metre 3.5mm audio cable (plug on both sides) in one of my drawers and I ripped off a 3.5mm extender off this old chair vibration machine with speakers I had and I can now receive audio from my PC to TV :D Sounds not too loud but it gets the job done.

Now all that's left is to buy a wireless keyboard, since my Logitech mouse just works within range. Still, I'm using my laptop as a keyboard atm, by connecting remotely to the PC using VNC. 1080p PC gaming and comfy couches here I come :D:D

Now.. about that exam tomorrow.

Clipper

Ydahs said:
Sweet. Just found a two metre 3.5mm audio cable (plug on both sides) in one of my drawers and I ripped off a 3.5mm extender off this old chair vibration machine with speakers I had and I can now receive audio from my PC to TV :D Sounds not too loud but it gets the job done.

Now all that's left is to buy a wireless keyboard, since my Logitech mouse just works within range. Still, I'm using my laptop as a keyboard atm, by connecting remotely to the PC using VNC. 1080p PC gaming and comfy couches here I come :D:D

Now.. about that exam tomorrow.
That sort of stuff is so much easier to set up with a projector ;).

However, I can't talk too much, recently buying a three metre USB extension cable so I can use PlayStation Move while facing the screen...

Agyar

So my 360 just red-ringed, after I bought and started playing Pac-Man CE DX. Finished one game and then it fell over. Damn you, Pac-Man.

trinest

codswallop said:

Both Suck. Who cars. WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom