• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Agyar said:
When he says "piracy", he really should say "copyright infringement", which encompasses all the uses you mention above.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure those are legal in Australia. And they are most definitely not piracy.

Shaneus said:
Just give me some NTFS support on external USB drives, fuckers. And while you're at it, break open the PlayTV firmware and remove the shitful Freeview restrictions like ad-skipping.

On that note, anyone know where I can score a cheap PlayTV? Don't care for paying retail for it.
NTFS support would be awesome.

endlessflood said:
PS3's are region-free for games, but still region locked for DVDs and Blu-rays. The PS3jailbreak allows the running of unsigned code so technically anything is possible with it, it just takes somebody to code it.
Yeah, that too.

trinest said:
lol Sony.

And anyone who uses a PS3 for Bluray deserves it.
What? Why would I buy a standalone BR player?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc how could this PS3 thing stop the 3DS from being region locked?

Clipper

Dead Man said:
Or backups, or keeping your game library on a drive. I'm not saying it's most common use would not be piracy, but there are legitimate uses for it. Same with HDLoader in a PS2.
All of those are illegal in Australia. Format shifting of anything except music is copyright infringement under the Australian laws. There is no arguing it, the only legal use for modchips in Australia is region unlocking.

Running homebrew has a possible case, but it is not as easy to argue as region locking, because region locking opens the market to allow you to import PS3 games to avoid local price gouging, whereas you should be able to play similar homebrew software on PC or other devices.

teekun said:
Does anyone know if a retailer other than Harvey Norman is planning on selling a PS3 Move bundle? I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and replace my busted PS3, and if I can get a bundle with all that crap in it for a similar price as a stand-alone PS3, I'd much rather do that.

As far as I can tell, though, there's no official boxed bundle like the US is getting, just one they put together themselves.
JB has a really good price on the starter pack, which is even cheaper than the US price ($98AU), so perhaps getting the PS3 separate with the starter pack from JB is a better choice.

VOOK said:
Choc how could this PS3 thing stop the 3DS from being region locked?
I think you mean me, as it was my point.

There is no doubt that the court case that legalised modchips in Australia will surface during this trial. It was very clear in that case that the chips were only allowed as they supported region unlocking, which the Jigkick does not allow. If the 3DS is released region locked, and a modchip that allows unlocking is released, then Nintendo cannot fight them in Australia. If they make it region free, they can fight any 3DS modchip which is released.

This case will cement that decision, so Nintendo may make the 3DS region free so they can easily fight modchips.

Clipper

Nemesis556 said:
They should've shipped it with a BRD Unlocker. U_U
They possibly still can. If somebody does make a Jigkick v2 or clone that can make the PS1, PS2, DVD or Blu-ray features on the PS3 region free with legally distributable code which is shipped with or on the device, then it should be legal to sell and install within Australia.

Nemesis_

Clipper said:
They possibly still can. If somebody does make a Jigkick v2 or clone that can make the PS1, PS2, DVD or Blu-ray features on the PS3 region free with legally distributable code which is shipped with or on the device, then it should be legal to sell and install within Australia.

I would probably buy one then to be honest. My VAIO plays Region A Blu-Rays, while my PS3 is Region B. (or the other way around, not sure).

My collection is kind of all over the place but I try to source region free releases wherever possible, but it's starting to get harder and harder. =(

Dead Man

Clipper said:
All of those are illegal in Australia. Format shifting of anything except music is copyright infringement under the Australian laws. There is no arguing it, the only legal use for modchips in Australia is region unlocking.

Running homebrew has a possible case, but it is not as easy to argue as region locking, because region locking opens the market to allow you to import PS3 games to avoid local price gouging, whereas you should be able to play similar homebrew software on PC or other devices.
Well, there you go, I just learned something. That would seem to make scanners and photocopiers illegal though, unless fair use is determined differently for those mediums. HD Loader would also seem to be problematic.

Clipper

Dead Man said:
Well, there you go, I just learned something. That would seem to make scanners and photocopiers illegal though, unless fair use is determined differently for those mediums. HD Loader would also seem to be problematic.
OK, text media is different too, which allows for photocopying and scanning. However there are restrictions there too. Using HD Loader to rip a game on the PS2, or USB Loaders on the Wii are definitely instances of Australian copyright infringement.

Dead Man

Clipper said:
OK, text media is different too, which allows for photocopying and scanning. However there are restrictions there too. Using HD Loader to rip a game on the PS2, or USB Loaders on the Wii are definitely instances of Australian copyright infringement.
Thanks for the info, no wonder people don't know what is legal or not, the rules are pretty bloody opaque.

BSS

Tntnnbltn said:
GAF, I'm thinking of an Acer Aspire Revo nettop for use as a HTPC. Yay or nay?

I don't know about the Acer Aspire Revo, but I do approve of anything with an Nvidia Ion for a HTPC.

hirokazu

teekun said:
Does anyone know if a retailer other than Harvey Norman is planning on selling a PS3 Move bundle? I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and replace my busted PS3, and if I can get a bundle with all that crap in it for a similar price as a stand-alone PS3, I'd much rather do that.

As far as I can tell, though, there's no official boxed bundle like the US is getting, just one they put together themselves.
There is a Starter Pack, which is probably what you're talking about. Comes with Move controller, Eye camera, and a demo disc.

EDIT: Oh, you mean bundled with the console?

Clipper said:
JB has a really good price on the starter pack, which is even cheaper than the US price ($98AU), so perhaps getting the PS3 separate with the starter pack from JB is a better choice.
Well the US Starter Pack comes with Sports Champions or whatever packed in, whereas the European one only comes with a demo disc of Move titles. Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more for a proper game than a demo disc.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
VOOK said:
Personally I'd rather play no form of the Move what so ever.

So why do you play the Wii?

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Mar

evlcookie said:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I was just about to say something similar. Seems odd a person who loves the Wii speaking out against motion controls.

Kritz

Banned
evlcookie said:

2/10

much like most of the Wii's games.

Nemesis_

Mar said:
I was just about to say something similar. Seems odd a person who loves the Wii speaking out against motion controls.

Not that I wholeheartedly agree with VOOK, but would you really want to play something you've essentially already played, but again.

I cannot wait for RE5 Move Edition ;_;

Mar

Kritz said:
You need to check your emails more, fool.

Oh I check them. Replying is a different matter though!

When yours came through I was standing on a train platform at central station. I saw the wall of text and realised this needed more than just a casual glance, so I pocketed my phone and got on the train, listening to Idle Thumbs (again).

Reading through it now. Reply forthcoming.

Kritz

Banned
Mar said:
Oh I check them. Replying is a different matter though!

When yours came through I was standing on a train platform at central station. I saw the wall of text and realised this needed more than just a casual glance, so I pocketed my phone and got on the train, listening to Idle Thumbs (again).

Reading through it now. Reply forthcoming.

I constantly get in trouble at work for Emailing everyone walls of text. It's the only amount of text I know!

Agyar

Kritz said:
I constantly get in trouble at work for Emailing everyone walls of text. It's the only amount of text I know!

I sometimes send emails that are only questions in the subject line.

ShyGuy

Tntnnbltn said:
GAF, I'm thinking of an Acer Aspire Revo nettop for use as a HTPC. Yay or nay?
Yes get it.

I have one myself, and use it with XBMC, which is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Check out the Night skin trailer on youtube if you dare! (just search "xbmc night skin" on youtube)

You will be impressed!

Clipper

hirokazu said:
Well the US Starter Pack comes with Sports Champions or whatever packed in, whereas the European one only comes with a demo disc of Move titles. Personally, I'd rather pay a bit more for a proper game than a demo disc.
Mate, thanks for mentioning that, I had no idea! At least that explains why its cheaper than the US price...

Shaneus

Clipper said:
Mate, thanks for mentioning that, I had no idea! At least that explains why its cheaper than the US price...
Where's the best place to get this? Would a group buy be best?

Also, who is getting what? I think I'll just be getting the starter pack but am tempted to get the nunchuck as well just in case something I want supports it. Definitely importing if there's a full game included with the US pack.

Clipper

Shaneus said:
Where's the best place to get this? Would a group buy be best?

Also, who is getting what? I think I'll just be getting the starter pack but am tempted to get the nunchuck as well just in case something I want supports it. Definitely importing if there's a full game included with the US pack.
Hmm... If we use hopshopgo, then a group purchase might actually become worthwhile... I was just going to ship to a friend in the States and have him send it over, but if you got enough people interested, it could work. Trust is a big issue with this, though.

I've been trying to work out what to get as well. I'm definitely not buying more than one Navigation Controller (nunchuck) and not sure if I'll even get one at all (as you can just use a normal controller instead). I do want a second Move controller to play with friends. The controllers themselves seem cheapest in Japan, so I've been thinking of getting the other stuff there, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Shaneus

I think it really only makes a difference on group buying if you don't have to worry about separating everything then reposting it once it gets here (unless the savings are massive). Ecogamer have a price watch thread, but there's no info on importing the controllers.

Clipper

Shaneus said:
I think it really only makes a difference on group buying if you don't have to worry about separating everything then reposting it once it gets here (unless the savings are massive). Ecogamer have a price watch thread, but there's no info on importing the controllers.
Hmm... ozgameshop's prices on the hardware does seem pretty good. About the same as getting them from Japan once you include shipping. Looks like that's where I'll be getting my accessories. Still need to figure out the best way to get the Starter Pack from the US though.

VOOK

Mar said:

Motion Controls are fine, reselling the same thing as something new - is another thing.

The lineup is exactly the same as Wii, it's falling to the same tropes (on rails, party games) already and it's the same with Kinect.

teekun

hirokazu said:
There is a Starter Pack, which is probably what you're talking about. Comes with Move controller, Eye camera, and a demo disc.

EDIT: Oh, you mean bundled with the console?

Yeah, I meant bundled with a console. I may just get the console on its own if the bundle is shit, though. I've already got a PS eye, and if the starter kit doesn't even come with a full game, forget it. I'll just buy the move controllers on their own when and if I want one.

I was just working with the assumption that I'd be able to get a console + Move gear sometime in the next couple of weeks for the same price as a console alone, but it doesn't look like that's the case.

VOOK said:
Motion Controls are fine, reselling the same thing as something new - is another thing.

The lineup is exactly the same as Wii, it's falling to the same tropes (on rails, party games) already and it's the same with Kinect.

When the Wii can do augmented reality and HD I'll call them the same thing. I realize the Move is just a slightly enhanced rip off of the Wii controls, but I don't really care. I play PS3 games way more than Wii and it would be nice to have some fun casual motion control games that take advantage of modern hardware.

Clipper

VOOK said:

I have to agree with teekun. I love the Wii and motion controls and I am a huge Nintendo fanboy, but Move really does seem to be better in some aspects. What sold me were in the video demos I saw within Qore Ep 26 (thank you US Playstation Plus). I was amazed at how much better the control and possibilities seemed to be over what I'm used to with Wii. Whether the games actually live up to the potential is yet to be seen, but they do have a good chance. The better graphics are a bonus too, of course.

I would agree with you on Kinect, though. It seems to be a glorified Eyetoy. Yeah, you'll get some cool body based stuff, but how are you supposed to replicate the aim functionality of the Wiimote and Move using Kinect? Point your finger and say Pew-Pew?

Thus, Move makes a lot of sense to me. It seems to be able to do everything the Wiimote can, but more accurately than even WiiMotion Plus, and the extra processing power under the hood of the PS3 may lead to some really great Augmented Reality or other things that just aren't possible on Wii.

VOOK

Clipper said:
Thus, Move makes a lot of sense to me. It seems to be able to do everything the Wiimote can, but more accurately than even WiiMotion Plus, and the extra processing power under the hood of the PS3 may lead to some really great Augmented Reality or other things that just aren't possible on Wii.

True.

Still doesn't make it any less of a fact that Sony and Microsoft are only jumping into this because of Nintendo. The tech is superior only because it's newer, and they had something to base it on.

It's now an arms (see what I did there) race, and while the Wii isn't HD or has the camera globe stuff, the Move and Kinect are only just 'catching up' to the Wii. It'll be up to Nintendo to capitalise on this and one up them when it's time for their next console.

Out of two I think the the Move will be more successful, I can appreciate the technology behind it but the Kinect? Pure shit. That'll have such a massive backlash after a few months when it suffers the Wii effect and people go 'shit I just don't like doing that' and go back to playing COD.

My opinion here though will fall of deaf ears, every is all 'lol Wii here' despite not even having one.

Clipper, different topic. What are your thoughts on getting the ACCC involved with regards to region locking. I've phoned them once before, and they said we might have something.

Shaneus

FWIW, cheapest option seems to be buying from UK then getting the game separately. I'm guessing that it will be cheaper still for us to buy the pack here then wait until all the pack-ins from the US go on eBay.

PS. Dragon Age mega-cheap on Impulse but we're region locked out of it... anyone know if that's easy enough to bypass?

Fredescu

VOOK said:
Still doesn't make it any less of a fact that Sony and Microsoft are only jumping into this because of Nintendo. The tech is superior only because it's newer, and they had something to base it on.
Who cares who did it first. Who does it best is more important.

Mar

VOOK said:
True.

It's now an arms (see what I did there) race, and while the Wii isn't HD or has the camera globe stuff, the Move and Kinect are only just 'catching up' to the Wii. It'll be up to Nintendo to capitalise on this and one up them when it's time for their next console.

Out of two I think the the Move will be more successful, I can appreciate the technology behind it but the Kinect? Pure shit. That'll have such a massive backlash after a few months when it suffers the Wii effect and people go 'shit I just don't like doing that' and go back to playing COD.

My opinion here though will fall of deaf ears, every is all 'lol Wii here' despite not even having one.

Clipper, different topic. What are your thoughts on getting the ACCC involved with regards to region locking. I've phoned them once before, and they said we might have something.

I predict both Move and Kinect will bomb spectacularly. Not because 'they are copying Nintendo' however, but because the motion control wagon has long left town. For a good while it was the in thing and everyone had to get their hands on it, but now not many people care. Look at the big games hitting the Wii, most of them only make small use of motion, and even then that's generally not received well (Metroid).

The only way either of these devices made sense was to be launched with a new console. Add ons never work, especially when they're expensive and a few years too late.

VOOK

Mar said:
I predict both Move and Kinect will bomb spectacularly. Not because 'they are copying Nintendo' however, but because the motion control wagon has long left town. For a good while it was the in thing and everyone had to get their hands on it, but now not many people care. Look at the big games hitting the Wii, most of them only make small use of motion, and even then that's generally not received well (Metroid).

The only way either of these devices made sense was to be launched with a new console. Add ons never work, especially when they're expensive and a few years too late.

The hipocracy with gamers (and now the gaming media) is hilarious, hating on the Wii because of Motion controls but now are receptive to it because it's on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Motion Control has never been the problem, it's that it was on a Nintendo console and it's sucess proved everyone wrong.

But no Mar I can't share your prediction. At least in Australia both Move and Kinect will shift significant numbers this Xmas, all the retailers shilling the living shit out of it will see to that. But the backalash in a couple months when software runs dry will be remarkable. It'll be 'Kinect and Move' is gathering dust jokes from here on out.

And yep, the whole waggly phase the Wii went through at the beginning will be seen again on the Kinect and Move. All these great grand ideas that don't pan out, just like Motion Plus. As you said, addons fail.

btw Kinect is out November 18th for $199. <-- Joke.

Nemesis_

Fredescu said:
Previous posts in another thread?

People saying Move is better than Wii.
People saying all Wii games are 2/10
Move is better because it's HD
I LOVE MY PS3 BETTER SO MOVE IS BETTER

Some of these comments may have been sarcasm but I'm lead to believe otherwise.

It's just so boring to hear people bag out the Wii now, and as VOOK said, it's rather hypocritical for some people too.

giri

VOOK said:
The hipocracy with gamers (and now the gaming media) is hilarious, hating on the Wii because of Motion controls but now are receptive to it because it's on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Motion Control has never been the problem, it's that it was on a Nintendo console and it's sucess proved everyone wrong.

But no Mar I can't share your prediction. At least in Australia both Move and Kinect will shift significant numbers this Xmas, all the retailers shilling the living shit out of it will see to that. But the backalash in a couple months when software runs dry will be remarkable. It'll be 'Kinect and Move' is gathering dust jokes from here on out.

And yep, the whole waggly phase the Wii went through at the beginning will be seen again on the Kinect and Move. All these great grand ideas that don't pan out, just like Motion Plus. As you said, addons fail.

btw Kinect is out November 18th for $199. <-- Joke.

I thought the big complaints with the wii weren't that it had motion control, but that it was SD not HD and most of the games weren't "hard core". Not that it had motion control.

Clipper

Nemesis556 said:
ZOMFG MOVE IS AWESOME, WII IS CRAP.

HD!!!!111!!!!

To summarise previous posts.
Uh, where did anyone say Wii is crap (apart from Kritz, now that I look back over the posts)? Saying Move has better capabilities than the Wii doesn't mean the Wii is bad.

VOOK said:
True.

Your opinion isn't lost on me, at least. I love Wii, and I'm interested to see where Nintendo will go with the competition provided by Move/Kinect if either take off.

I'm not sure I quite follow you. Would the ACCC be able to force Nintendo to allow the 3DS to be region free? I can definitely see the merit in pursuing such an approach for a valid outcome, but what sort of work is involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom