• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Megadrive said:
And they wonder why I would prefer them to try IRC.

Yeah, we tried that.

Steam works because the majority of AusGAF are PC gamers anyway, and we all have a billion Steam games that we can be playing at any one moment. So it's a decent enough place to hang around in.

I wouldn't mind seeing everyone move to IRC, but at that point you have to deal with people not knowing how to download or use IRC clients (not like it's hard, but y'know) and needing everyone to break the Steam chat habit which has been going on for at least a year now.

basically we just need to convert the rest of the knobs here to fully fledged PC gamers, give them copies of TF2, and question mark question mark profit.

Agyar

Kritz said:
basically we just need to convert the rest of the knobs here to fully fledged PC gamers, give them copies of TF2, and question mark question mark profit.

Kids these days. Back when I played PC games, everybody was on IRC.

In an effort to buy less games I've been playing through some of my faves from the last year or two.

So last night I start a new play through of Dragon Age. And playing it again has made me realise that it is by far my favourite game from the last few years. I'd forgotten just how addictive and satisfying the gameplay is, I can't think of another game that just clicks with me the way it does. I can spend hours just reading all the codex pages, looking over the skill trees, talking to everyone and going through all dialogue options (which I normally can't be bothered doing.) It is like a comfortable old pair of slippers or something, it just feels "right".

Anyway, just felt like sharing. Anyone else still play a bit a Dragon Age these days?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Tntnnbltn said:
GAF, I'm thinking of an Acer Aspire Revo nettop for use as a HTPC. Yay or nay?

Thought about building one yourself? Can i ask, what the purpose of the HTPC is? Do you just want to play back tv/movies/music that's stored on another drive/nas? Or do you want to record local tv as well etc etc?

I've been using IRC for 12+ years. I have no issue with it but steam chat does the job when most of us are on steam anyway and are playing games from time to time. Agyar was in chat last night and so was Gaz :D

Clipper

Kritz said:
Yeah, we tried that.

Steam works because the majority of AusGAF are PC gamers anyway, and we all have a billion Steam games that we can be playing at any one moment. So it's a decent enough place to hang around in.

I wouldn't mind seeing everyone move to IRC, but at that point you have to deal with people not knowing how to download or use IRC clients (not like it's hard, but y'know) and needing everyone to break the Steam chat habit which has been going on for at least a year now.

There are web IRC clients that would just require people to click a link in the OP of the thread to log in. That should eliminate the ignorance factor. I'm not a big fan of Steam Chat, so I'm not there, but I would definitely be connected to an AusGAF IRC room almost permanently.

Oh, and I own The Orange Box but have never played TF2...

Tntnnbltn

evlcookie said:
Thought about building one yourself? Can i ask, what the purpose of the HTPC is? Do you just want to play back tv/movies/music that's stored on another drive/nas? Or do you want to record local tv as well etc etc?
I'm computer software literate, not computer hardware literate. Building = nono. Plus that sounds like effort and doing things.

Playback of video files on a hard drive. Right now I'm playing files on my ext. hdd through my PS3, but I'd like to try out something a bit more media-tailored like XBMC. I'd also use it for my ABC iView & some YouTube uses (they are clunky to use on PS3).

I don't do much TV recording currently, but might be looking to get into it in the future. (I'm studying to become a science teacher, so I'm thinking it'll be worthwhile building up a library of ABC's science documentaries & Mythbusters for future class use).

giri

BanShunsaku said:
In an effort to buy less games I've been playing through some of my faves from the last year or two.

So last night I start a new play through of Dragon Age. And playing it again has made me realise that it is by far my favourite game from the last few years. I'd forgotten just how addictive and satisfying the gameplay is, I can't think of another game that just clicks with me the way it does. I can spend hours just reading all the codex pages, looking over the skill trees, talking to everyone and going through all dialogue options (which I normally can't be bothered doing.) It is like a comfortable old pair of slippers or something, it just feels "right".

Anyway, just felt like sharing. Anyone else still play a bit a Dragon Age these days?

Me Me Me

I'm on my 2nd play through, started on friday night i think. Playing as Dalish Rogue, speccing archer (supposedly the highest dmg class in the game, but reports vary wildly on this). Fantastic game. I'm specifically being a bit of a dick with a lot of my answers in the conversatiosn, being an elf i'm not recieved all that well so it sort of fits. Ranger is fun. But to be honest, you have to be able to play all classes in the game even from your first play through so it's not a giant revelation.

Knowing which talents you want and how to spec is certainly refreshing. My first play through (as human noble warrior [sword/shield]) i confused some of the builds on my mages/rogues.

There's new DLC coming out soon about what happened to Morrigan after she left with the old god baby. Should be fun.

Choc

Banned
soooooooooo the Wii NRL game is better than NRL HD

wtf!

(i've played both so this is not an uneducated statement)

Choc

Banned
Legend in case your wodnering why zavvi wasnt working

CommBank EFTPOS, Cards, ATMS crashed yesterday...

giri

Choc said:
soooooooooo the Wii NRL game is better than NRL HD

wtf!

(i've played both so this is not an uneducated statement)

Un surprising, many are expecting NBA Jam to be better than both nba 2k11 and nba elite.

Kritz said:

SC2 is taking pretty much all of my game time ATM. I don't see that changing for quite a while.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
AdventureRacing said:
SC2 is taking pretty much all of my game time ATM. I don't see that changing for quite a while.

But you can join steam and play SC2! There's a few of us who have SC2 as well, but we suck and don't play as often. Might be able to get a game if you're floating around in steam chat :D

IRC has been tried and failed. The problem was it separated the groups, so you had those of us who had no issues with running both, those who wanted steam only and those who wanted irc only. Was a bit of a clusterfuck.

Mar

evlcookie said:
What's your ISP Mar?

Ancient Optus Cable plan. But me being this paranoid about my downloads is extremely rare. It just so happened that this month I'm skirting close to the limit.

Kritz said:
I wouldn't mind seeing everyone move to IRC

I'd be less inclined to use IRC. Used to be connected to that service 24/7 since the late 90s, I have no interest in using it again.

giri said:
There's new DLC coming out soon about what happened to Morrigan after she left with the old god baby. Should be fun.

I'm looking forward to this DLC more than any other game being released this year. It's out on the 7th, so I'm going to book in some good Dragon Age time this weekend so I can remember how to play the game before the DLC hits.

Agyar

giri said:
Me Me Me

I'm on my 2nd play through, started on friday night i think. Playing as Dalish Rogue, speccing archer (supposedly the highest dmg class in the game, but reports vary wildly on this). Fantastic game. I'm specifically being a bit of a dick with a lot of my answers in the conversatiosn, being an elf i'm not recieved all that well so it sort of fits. Ranger is fun. But to be honest, you have to be able to play all classes in the game even from your first play through so it's not a giant revelation.

Knowing which talents you want and how to spec is certainly refreshing. My first play through (as human noble warrior [sword/shield]) i confused some of the builds on my mages/rogues.

It's true, Archery rogues are nuts. I used Leliana in Origins and Nathaniel in Awakening as an archer, with a bard spec for Song of Courage. The key talent to pick up if you go this route is Lethality, which lets the character use Cunning instead of Strength for a damage modifier. You can easily get a rogue's ranged crit chance over 100%, just make sure not to use Rapid Fire or whatever it's called as it disables normal criticals.

Have you played Awakening?

I played as a sword & shield warrior on my first play through, this time I'm going mage. I chose mage this time cos on my first play through I tended to control the mage in my party whenever in battle (most of the time anyway).

I'm a bit nervous of how squishy I'll be for the first few hours though, or do I have nothing to worry about?

evlcookie said:
But you can join steam and play SC2! There's a few of us who have SC2 as well, but we suck and don't play as often. Might be able to get a game if you're floating around in steam chat :D

I don't use steam to much but i guess i could do that. It doesn't matter how good people are, i mostly play 2v2 and 3v3 anyway.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
AdventureRacing said:
I don't use steam to much but i guess i could do that. It doesn't matter how good people are, i mostly play 2v2 and 3v3 anyway.

Ah. I think most of us just do 1v1 because we are too shit to try anything else :lol

But it's safe to say most of the ausgaffers who play SC2 aren't actually in steam chat at all, maybe a handful at most are lurking in there.

giri

Agyar said:
It's true, Archery rogues are nuts. I used Leliana in Origins and Nathaniel in Awakening as an archer, with a bard spec for Song of Courage. The key talent to pick up if you go this route is Lethality, which lets the character use Cunning instead of Strength for a damage modifier. You can easily get a rogue's ranged crit chance over 100%, just make sure not to use Rapid Fire or whatever it's called as it disables normal criticals.

Have you played Awakening?

No haven't got awakening yet. I didn't buy the game over steam, i bought retail PC, and you can't buy awakening over steam, for a non-steam origins. And after my unit purchase, i'm trying to avoid the money sink that is entering JB.

Yeah, i'm going to go Bard for the song of courage, and lethality. Along with rapid fire, Haste is also broken for Archers, the actual hastend animation for archers is as long as the non-hastend one, so there's no point to it for them. Something similar to that. But i didn't want to use shale, even though his buff is terrific for ranged. But we'll see.

BanShunsaku said:
I played as a sword & shield warrior on my first play through, this time I'm going mage. I chose mage this time cos on my first play through I tended to control the mage in my party whenever in battle (most of the time anyway).

I'm a bit nervous of how squishy I'll be for the first few hours though, or do I have nothing to worry about?

My mages rarely die, but make sure you have a sword/shield warrior with auto-taunt on.

Frawdder

BanShunsaku said:

Dragon Age was a fantastic game and one I've wanted to go back to since I finished it, but then I remember that I would also have to go through The Fade....hmmm, yeah...The Fade. I hated that part of the game. I'll probably pick up Awakening and the DLC at some point and play through that, might give me that fix that I sometimes crave.

All this talk of rogues is making me want to roll one... It's tempting, cos I really want to do the City Elf origin.

Maybe I'll leave my mage for a rogue...

giri said:
No haven't got awakening yet. I didn't buy the game over steam, i bought retail PC, and you can't buy awakening over steam, for a non-steam origins. And after my unit purchase, i'm trying to avoid the money sink that is entering JB.

Yeh I have the same thing (retail PC version) - my most recent game purchase was actually Awakening (from JB no less!).

I really want to play Awakening but want to take my own character into it, and by the end of my first play through I was a bit sick of my warrior.

evlcookie said:
Ah. I think most of us just do 1v1 because we are too shit to try anything else :lol

1v1 is a lot harder than 2v2 and 3v3 and its a lot more stressful, thats the main reason i play them :lol . Plus i play with my brother and we like to play on the same team.

legend166

Mar said:
I just watched the quicklook of Other M on GiantBomb. I can honestly say any previous interest I had in the game is now gone. It looks terrible. They've murdered it worse than the Prime games.

/pours one out for real Metroid.

shining.gif

In other Metroid news, why does the JB website say it's coming out in late 2010? Are Nintendo doing some ridiculous staggered launch across retailers or something?

Nemesis_

Awakening is also amazing, though it didn't really develop any of it's character as much as Origins. Which was disappointing.

Clipper

legend166 said:
In other Metroid news, why does the JB website say it's coming out in late 2010? Are Nintendo doing some ridiculous staggered launch across retailers or something?
I'd say it's just that nobody bothered updating the page. Their catalogue clearly shows it launching on September 2nd.

I went for the Amazon version, though. Other M is AU$10 cheaper including shipping, and I get a US$20 voucher off another game at the same time. Sorry NAL, you did a good job of not delaying this one, but this deal is just too tempting to pass up.

Choc

Banned
So sony got an injunction on the PS3 hack device being sold in Australia

Thing is, this one will stick. The only reason mod chips have been exempted by ACCC law in Australia is the fact it allowed imports

sony doesnt ban imports so its purely for piracy, end of story

WOW

This is the first time the security of the PS3 has been broken and the injunction requires the distributors to hand all of their stock of the device to Sony. The company will then have licence to analyse the chips and work on a way of blocking them, with Justice Dodds-Streeton's order allowing for even "destructive analysis".

expect a mandatory PS3 FW update very soon

Clipper

Choc said:

Thing is, this one will stick. The only reason mod chips have been exempted by ACCC law in Australia is the fact it allowed imports

I really hope and pray that Nintendo takes notice. We might have a chance that they will make the 3DS region free if they do.

CryptiK

Choc said:

WOW

This is the first time the security of the PS3 has been broken and the injunction requires the distributors to hand all of their stock of the device to Sony. The company will then have licence to analyse the chips and work on a way of blocking them, with Justice Dodds-Streeton's order allowing for even "destructive analysis".

Very Old.

They will still be sold in Aus and easy to aqquire I can walk into town and hit up about 7 shops that still have r4's and get new stick in every few weeks.

Choc

Banned
The official injunction went through this morning.

The change is that sony is allowed to figure out what these chips are doing whilst they hold the stock of them

so they can tamper with another companies products

Fredescu

Choc said:
The official injunction went through this morning.
That article you're quoting was written yesterday, so I assume that's when the injunction went through. That same article references the seeking of a permanent injunction today, but I believe that is now delayed until Friday.

Edit: Actually, I was right the first time. It was done on Friday:

"28/08/2010 - Hello Everyone. On Friday the 27/08/2010 we where given some documents from the Lawyers representing Sony. The documents are Federal Court orders for a temporary injunction. "

http://www.ozmodchips.com/ps-jailbreak-worlds-first-ps3-modchip-plug-and-play-p-68.html

Choc

Banned
The Federal Court has extended an injunction preventing three Australian distributors from selling a world-first hack that allows Sony PlayStation 3 owners to run pirated games on the console.

so we are both right :p

extended til lfriday

Dead Man

Choc said:

Or backups, or keeping your game library on a drive. I'm not saying it's most common use would not be piracy, but there are legitimate uses for it. Same with HDLoader in a PS2.

Agyar

Dead Man said:
Or backups, or keeping your game library on a drive. I'm not saying it's most common use would not be piracy, but there are legitimate uses for it. Same with HDLoader in a PS2.

When he says "piracy", he really should say "copyright infringement", which encompasses all the uses you mention above.

Choc said:

WOW

PS3's are region-free for games, but still region locked for DVDs and Blu-rays. The PS3jailbreak allows the running of unsigned code so technically anything is possible with it, it just takes somebody to code it.

Shaneus

Just give me some NTFS support on external USB drives, fuckers. And while you're at it, break open the PlayTV firmware and remove the shitful Freeview restrictions like ad-skipping.

On that note, anyone know where I can score a cheap PlayTV? Don't care for paying retail for it.

teekun

Does anyone know if a retailer other than Harvey Norman is planning on selling a PS3 Move bundle? I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and replace my busted PS3, and if I can get a bundle with all that crap in it for a similar price as a stand-alone PS3, I'd much rather do that.

As far as I can tell, though, there's no official boxed bundle like the US is getting, just one they put together themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom