• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
I like the wii, but its been kinda... slow lately with teh big releases.

Cant wait for Kirby, Donkey Kong and Zelda though ^_^

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
giri said:
I thought the big complaints with the wii weren't that it had motion control, but that it was SD not HD and most of the games weren't "hard core". Not that it had motion control.

Motion controls were met with lots of resistance at the start, hard core gamers didn't like the idea period. The whole not HD thing and the games not being hardcore weren't as of a big of a problem in 2006, there were hardcore games for it. It's not until the mini game fests start when it all went awry.

Clipper said:
I'm not sure I quite follow you. Would the ACCC be able to force Nintendo to allow the 3DS to be region free? I can definitely see the merit in pursuing such an approach for a valid outcome, but what sort of work is involved?

Well I don't know for sure but I think they would be the governing body to look into it at least. The ACCC has stipulated that any DVD player in the country must be able to be unlocked for region free playback. A stipulation Sony and MS get around because DVD and Bluray playback on those devices is not it's primary function or sales point.

You could argue that since Nintendo sell both the hardware and software for the 3DS that it's anti competitive because if you buy a 3DS from Nintendo you can't buy it elsewere are locked into getting it from Australia.

Fredescu

Nemesis556 said:
People saying Move is better than Wii.

"I love the Wii and motion controls and I am a huge Nintendo fanboy, but Move really does seem to be better in some aspects. What sold me were in the video demos I saw within Qore Ep 26 (thank you US Playstation Plus). I was amazed at how much better the control and possibilities seemed to be over what I'm used to with Wii. Whether the games actually live up to the potential is yet to be seen, but they do have a good chance."

"Thus, Move makes a lot of sense to me. It seems to be able to do everything the Wiimote can, but more accurately than even WiiMotion Plus, and the extra processing power under the hood of the PS3 may lead to some really great Augmented Reality or other things that just aren't possible on Wii."

Those seem like reasonable points, and even Vook agreed with them.

Nemesis556 said:
People saying all Wii games are 2/10
Kritz likes to talk about his poo. A lot. I'm not going to defend him.

Nemesis556 said:
Move is better because it's HD
It is. Whether you care about that particular point is your own choice, but from an output resolution point of view the PS3 and therefore move is better. Shock horror?

Nemesis556 said:
I LOVE MY PS3 BETTER SO MOVE IS BETTER
He basically says he realises that the Move is a Wii rip off, but he prefers playing on the PS3 so he'd like to give it a go. Nothing wrong with that. You're way overreacting.

Choc

Banned
has anyone else noticed you cant see online forum (this forum) without being logged in

means new aussies cant find us

bs!

Deeku

Vook, why do you worry about the 3ds being region locked? I mean, if it's locked, just buy an import unit. Problem solved.

Getting the accc involved seems unnecessary since the average 3ds buyer is probably content with buying games locally.

VOOK

commanderdeek said:
Vook, why do you worry about the 3ds being region locked? I mean, if it's locked, just buy an import unit. Problem solved.

Getting the accc involved seems unnecessary since the average 3ds buyer is probably content with buying games locally.

Because region locking is an bullshit practise which once was perhaps useful with differing TVs but in 2010 in a global economy is complete rubbish.

I should be able to buy a (any console) game and play it on any console. Anywhere.

I should have the choice as a consumer to buy things from wherever I like.

Choc

Banned

yet you buy apple stuff

OHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAP

Clipper

VOOK said:
Well I don't know for sure but I think they would be the governing body to look into it at least. The ACCC has stipulated that any DVD player in the country must be able to be unlocked for region free playback. A stipulation Sony and MS get around because DVD and Bluray playback on those devices is not it's primary function or sales point.

You could argue that since Nintendo sell both the hardware and software for the 3DS that it's anti competitive because if you buy a 3DS from Nintendo you can't buy it elsewhere are locked into getting it from Australia.

Yes. There are definitely several court cases you could pull into this too. The modchip one has a lot of relevance and the DVD player regulations as you say. Possibly the rulings on Jailbreaking iPhones could also apply, although I'm not sure what the legal basis was for those.

All we should need to show is a few examples of differences between regional release dates and pricing, of which we all know there is a ton of evidence. Furthermore, the reason why we had regions in the first place was because of market differences (e.g., Famicon/NES) and TV standard (NTSC/PAL), neither of which are present in modern handheld consoles (and barely in modern home consoles any more). The same hardware is now being released in all three regions, so there is no reason to restrict the software to come from the same location any more.

I think I remember someone saying that the DSi is region locked because of the store system. That argument also falls apart when you apply the concept of allowing consumers to choose the best product. It's even worse in Nintendo's case when the 'Australian' Wii and DS stores are not actually run in Australia. I have to pay foreign transaction fees on my credit card, even though the transaction is made in Australian dollars. Thus, if I'm buying from overseas anyway, I should be able to buy from the shop with the best price.

If you want support on this, you have mine. I don't know how useful that is, though.

commanderdeek said:

Region locking is still a problem if we import too. It means our friends can't buy us games as presents unless they know how to import them. It means we can't buy games on an impulse purchase when we see a good sale in a store. It is a useless practice and the courts have upheld that it violates our rights as consumers. It really does have to go.

VOOK

Choc said:

yet you buy apple stuff

OHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAP

I can get stuff from the US iTunes store on my iPhone and iPad.

Clipper said:
Yes. There are definitely several court cases you could pull into this too. The modchip one has a lot of relevance and the DVD player regulations as you say. Possibly the rulings on Jailbreaking iPhones could also apply, although I'm not sure what the legal basis was for those.

All we should need to show is a few examples of differences between regional release dates and pricing, of which we all know there is a ton of evidence. Furthermore, the reason why we had regions in the first place was because of market differences (e.g., Famicon/NES) and TV standard (NTSC/PAL), neither of which are present in modern handheld consoles (and barely in modern home consoles any more). The same hardware is now being released in all three regions, so there is no reason to restrict the software to come from the same location any more.

I think I remember someone saying that the DSi is region locked because of the store system. That argument also falls apart when you apply the concept of allowing consumers to choose the best product. It's even worse in Nintendo's case when the 'Australian' Wii and DS stores are not actually run in Australia. I have to pay foreign transaction fees on my credit card, even though the transaction is made in Australian dollars. Thus, if I'm buying from overseas anyway, I should be able to buy from the shop with the best price.

If you want support on this, you have mine. I don't know how useful that is, though.

Region locking is still a problem if we import too. It means our friends can't buy us games as presents unless they know how to import them. It means we can't buy games on an impulse purchase when we see a good sale in a store. It is a useless practice and the courts have upheld that it violates our rights as consumers. It really does have to go.

Yup it's not just some Nintendo thing, it should be for everything. They're just the ones left doing it really. I fear we may be too late to do anything about it.

The reason on the DSi was two fold, piracy (which still hasn't been cracked) and the ratings system for each console. So the parental locks on things have to OFLC coded or what not. Which really, can be countered with different firmware's.

Clipper

VOOK said:
The reason on the DSi was two fold, piracy (which still hasn't been cracked) and the ratings system for each console. So the parental locks on things have to OFLC coded or what not. Which really, can be countered with different firmware's.
Region locking aids with piracy prevention?

Yeah, the ratings system is a point, but one that is easily bypassed. The PAL region already has to handle the Australian Classification Board's ratings as well as PEGI, that other main European standard and a few more, I bet. Make it handle the rest and you have your answer. The PS3 already has such a system in place as it allows for parental locks and region free gaming at the same time, so there is precedent. Possibly, you can just have a base age setting that sets all regions with an optional advanced setting which lets you set the acceptable ratings within each rating system. I doubt it would be an issue to knock down this argument.

VOOK

Clipper said:
Region locking aids with piracy prevention?

Yeah, the ratings system is a point, but one that is easily bypassed. The PAL region already has to handle the Australian Classification Board's ratings as well as PEGI, that other main European standard and a few more, I bet. Make it handle the rest and you have your answer. The PS3 already has such a system in place as it allows for parental locks and region free gaming at the same time, so there is precedent. Possibly, you can just have a base age setting that sets all regions with an optional advanced setting which lets you set the acceptable ratings within each rating system. I doubt it would be an issue to knock down this argument.

Yup I've used the PS3's number system as an example before too, it's a great way. The end user shouldn't have to see those numbers though and each number per region is assigned the specific ratings. So G, E for Everyone is 1 Number, T and P is another etc.

Well the region locked part of the DSi is the DSi only mode, and that hasn't been cracked for DSiWare or DSi games. Sure you can play DSi enhanced games but they drop back to DS mode if you pirate them. DSi only games though, are yet to be cracked.

teekun

Nemesis556 said:

I basically said these three things, and in saying them did not in any way say the Wii was a terrible console. I own a Wii, it has good games, I play those good games.

I will, however, be getting the motion control add-on for the system that I play more than my Wii.

Does liking A more than B make B complete shit? No of course not, don't be ridiculous.

CryptiK

Nemesis556 said:
People saying all Wii games are 2/10

Some of these comments may have been sarcasm but I'm lead to believe otherwise.

It's just so boring to hear people bag out the Wii now, and as VOOK said, it's rather hypocritical for some people too.
The Move is better tahn the Wii controls doesnt mean the Wii is crap.

Wii is awesome for a number of reasons and not one of them is the motion controls same can be said for PS3.

Move isnt better because of HD Move is better because it has near 1:1 movement and works extremely well.

CryptiK

Choc said:

yet you buy apple stuff

OHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAP
What the hell does that have to do with anything >.> the fact that he buys apple products that are "region locked"(and thats easily bypassed) means he hasnt got a right to that opinion?

OOOOOOOOOOOOH SNAP.

Clipper

Shaneus said:
Sorry to butt in, but axelmusic seems to have the best price for the US Move starter pack:

http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails/711719826224

Not sure what they charge for shipping but they appear to be cheaper than everyone else ATM.
Edit: Shipping is a little over $5AU, bringing it to $112AU shipped. Snobbad.
I've never seen that site before, though. Is it any good?

Buying from Amazon shipped to a US friend and then shipping to Aus from there seems to be a similar price, so if the site is trustworthy, it seems like a good deal.

Edit: Just a proposition, though. How many of SydGAF want Move stuff? We could put it all in one order and then have a SydGAF meetup one night to distribute the goods once they arrive, and have a good night out at the same time.

Shaneus

FWIW, shipping doesn't get any cheaper with multiple orders. I tried adding up to 4 and it just multiplied the price of the shipping.

Clipper

Shaneus said:
FWIW, shipping doesn't get any cheaper with multiple orders. I tried adding up to 4 and it just multiplied the price of the shipping.
I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about using a combination of Amazon and hopshopgo, or another provider. It would come out cheaper once you get about 3 people as the first 2kg are shipped at a flat rate.

Agyar

I won't be buying anything day one but beyond that I reckon I'll end up with both Move and Kinect at some point, providing the games are there. I'm not going to weigh in on debates of greater scope than my own personal interest, which of all things has been piqued by a rejigged Heavy Rain for Move and not a whole lot yet for Kinect. Again though, I will just sit on my money until something convinces me to part with it.

VOOK

I am buying a copy of Halo Reach in order to set it alight.

For or Against?

jambo

You can waste your money if you want, won't affect me in the slightest.

Also doesn't MS win if they get your money?

Kritz

Banned
Fredescu said:
Kritz likes to talk about his poo. A lot. I'm not going to defend him.

Hey, I may talk about my poop a lot, but that was only because for six months the only working console I had was my Wii, and I had nothing better to do.

It's not that I don't like the Wii. It's just that every single one of its games that I like, excluding House of the Dead: Overkill, would be a better game with a regular controller. Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros, No More Heroes, Punch-out!!, Twighlight Princess.

House of the Dead: Overkill is the exception to that list, but the Wii's controller was still a terrible method for controlling that game. Better than a controller, or even a mouse, but the matter of fact was that you didn't have 1:1 aiming with the screen, you were simply controlling a cursor. That shit sucked.

There are games that use its controls effectively (Wii Sports, and likely some others), but I don't have much of an interest in those titles, as evidenced by me not being able to think of an example that isn't Wii Sports.

Do I prefer Sony or Microsoft's ripoffs? Fuck no. They're equally as shit, if not more so.

And while my 2/10 comment was mostly in jest, because making fun of Vook is entertaining, dude that system has a lot of shitty games. It has so much shitty shovelware. Which shows how much of a success the console is. But I'll stick to the video games where I shoot dudes in the face what with my mouse.

If it helps I think the 360 and PS3 and the PC are all super shitty too, but each for their own special reasons.

And I only included PC there because I lied.

VOOK

jambo said:
You can waste your money if you want, won't affect me in the slightest.

Also doesn't MS win if they get your money?

Would naturally be second hand.

Sorry Kritz I can't respond to your post seriously, you said NSMBWii would played better with a traditional controller. You mean like one with a D-Pad and A and B buttons? :lol

Kritz

Banned
I knew I forgot to address something. Imagine I added something with punchout, twilight princess and nsmbw having non-motion control options, making them better games.

And if it helps, NSMBW is my favourite Wii game. I recall it using motion controls for something (spinning?) but that wasn't too terrible. But it also hardly justifies its own control.

But, hey, the post wasn't designed to be a criticism of the system. Just my, like, opinion man. And I don't really like it that much.

I also don't really like the DS much (but for the reason that when I'm out of the house, I don't have time for video games. Not because the games or controls or whatever are shitty)

VOOK said:
Would naturally be second hand.

Sorry Kritz I can't respond to your post seriously, you said NSMBWii would played better with a traditional controller. You mean like one with a D-Pad and A and B buttons? :lol

Why so anti-Halo?

VOOK

Rahk said:
Turns out that's what I ended up buying my Wii for. Go for it!

This post is what bitter tears of a Halo fan look like.

What did you expect a 'Oh you fucking...' response? :lol

legend166

Playing Super Mario Galaxy with a regular controller would make it an infinitely worse game.

Well, maybe that's a little bit of hyperbole, but collecting starbits is incredibly satisfying. That's basically not possible with a regular control stick.

IR pointing is the best thing to happen to console controllers since the analogue stick. All controllers from here on out should include IR pointing.

And the whole argument about the Move being better than the Wii remote doesn't make sense to me. I mean, duh? The Move is 4 years older than the Wii remote and has a product on which to base its ideas, including what works and what doesn't. It would be a massive disaster if the Move wasn't better than the Wii remote.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
legend166 said:
Playing Super Mario Galaxy with a regular controller would make it an infinitely worse game.

Well, maybe that's a little bit of hyperbole, but collecting starbits is incredibly satisfying. That's basically not possible with a regular control stick.

IR pointing is the best thing to happen to console controllers since the analogue stick. All controllers from here on out should include IR pointing.

And the whole argument about the Move being better than the Wii remote doesn't make sense to me. I mean, duh? The Move is 4 years older than the Wii remote and has a product on which to base its ideas, including what works and what doesn't. It would be a massive disaster if the Move wasn't better than the Wii remote.

yes! the pointing in galaxy, is just excellent and really makes the game.

hamchan

Meh, Sony and Microsoft are basically doing what Nintendo did 4 years ago and there's nothing wrong with that.
Heck, this could even lead to more Wii third party games as they can now be multiplatform with the PS3 :lol

VOOK

hamchan said:
Meh, Sony and Microsoft are basically doing what Nintendo did 4 years ago and there's nothing wrong with that.
Heck, this could even lead to more Wii third party games as they can now be multiplatform with the PS3 :lol

Wii just doesn't have the horse power.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I now remember why i don't read books. For one my neck becomes sore and the other is after a few pages my eyes are heavy, it's almost as if i need a nap.

I would love to read books other than something like a graphic novel, but the text just makes me dead tired.

Mar

Ordered a Blackmagic video capture thingy today, but it won't arrive before the weekend. Looking forward to making real videos...

markot

Banned
evlcookie said:
I now remember why i don't read books. For one my neck becomes sore and the other is after a few pages my eyes are heavy, it's almost as if i need a nap.

I would love to read books other than something like a graphic novel, but the text just makes me dead tired.
www.audible.com !!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
Ordered a Blackmagic video capture thingy today, but it won't arrive before the weekend. Looking forward to making real videos...

I think that one is the smaller blackmagic video recorder. Not that intensity one.

So i should be getting my new PC either today or tomorrow (hopefully).

Looking forward to it!

Now I can be a PC Gamer like all the cool kids :lol

Also looking to see if Steam is really as good as everyone says it is. (Never used it before :O)

Mar

evlcookie said:
I think that one is the smaller blackmagic video recorder. Not that intensity one.

Yep, that's all I really needed. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to things like this so the only way I was going to get it is if I got the store downstairs to get one in for me.

giri

DualShadow said:

Looking forward to it!

Also looking to see if Steam is really as good as everyone says it is. (Never used it before :O)

It is.

I hope you have Cap.

Aon

DualShadow said:

Looking forward to it!

AUSGAF HAZING RITUAL GO.

I recommend Railworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom