• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
r1chard said:
What, was the fucking WA AG taken by surprise by the R18+ discussion, that he needs to go back to WA and talk it through some more??!?!

remember

they live in the 1980s, he fast forwarded 20 years by getting on a jet.

Choc

Banned
local power station for Attorney Generals office is flooded (quenbeyan) so power cut

this is why nothing is coming out of the meeting yet

of all the days hey :) it's so crazy you just have to laugh (except for the poor people dealing with the floods :( Feel sorry for them)

crap its pretty much been confirmed by those there that it is only the WA AG holding out. The rest have approved the measure

FUCK

Shaneus

DualShadow said:
Oops I forgot about the first 'D' :lol
"The extra 'B' stands for 'BYOBB'"
"What's *that* 'B' for?"
"That's a typo" :lol

legend166 said:
So next year in the F1 we'll have Lotus Renault GP AND Team Lotus powered by a Renault engine.

Too confusing.
Any using the green/yellow scheme?

Choc

Banned
Shaneus said:
"The extra 'B' stands for 'BYOBB'"
"What's *that* 'B' for?"
"That's a typo" :lol

Any using the green/yellow scheme?

yellow and black is one of the cars

pilon, sadly agreed but a delay is better then nothing

lets just not vote in an AG in NSW that says no in march, thats all

Kritz said:
$20,000 of it budget gone. :p
Sounds like education. I know higher education has its funding in calendar years as opposed to 'regular' financial years.

They probably had a lot of money left and like other educational institutions, if they don't spend all their budget next year they'll get less because obviously they don't need it. I've been guilty of buying shit my employer doesn't really need to use up some budget. Never anything outlandish, though.

Shaneus

Possibly, but I think he's referring to the t-shirt Comic Book Guy wears:
tumblr_koen15FfGF1qzvw5po1_500.jpg

Kritz

Banned
So I just wrote up a bif old iPad impressions list and then accidentally hit the undo button, erasing my entire post with no obvious way to grt it back, oh well.

In short: the autocorrect seems really Wonkey, virtual keyboards are pretty garbage, it really lacks an apostrophe key on thhe main keyboard, and... Its way too easy to accidentally delete entire posts.

Also it's really easy to make typos and have complete apathy to go back and correct them due to the longer than expected process.

pilonv1

Kritz said:
In short: the autocorrect seems really Wonkey, virtual keyboards are pretty garbage, it really lacks an apostrophe key on thhe main keyboard, and... Its way too easy to accidentally delete entire posts.

Yep it's an iOS device.

rass

Kritz said:
So I just wrote up a bif old iPad impressions list and then accidentally hit the undo button, erasing my entire post with no obvious way to grt it back, oh well.

Also it's really easy to make typos and have complete apathy to go back and correct them due to the longer than expected process.
shake it for undo

ed:
also, autocorrect has no learning skills as far as I can tell. Or it just wants to censor my swearing

Kritz

Banned
Almighty, let's try out the undo feature.,,, oh hey it works. But also really annoying! Huh.

Also this thing needs to learn that an ellipses is not an end of a sentence... It's really annoying. (yes I know how to tell it not to.)

rass

Kritz said:
Almighty, let's try out the undo feature.,,, oh hey it works. But also really annoying! Huh.

Also this thing needs to learn that an ellipses is not an end of a sentence... It's really annoying. (yes I know how to tell it not to.)
how do you do ellipses on a pc, while we're at it?
on a mac it's "option ;"
is there a pc equivalent?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
rass said:
on a mac it's "option ;"
is there a pc equivalent?
three periods usually auto-corrects to it in most word processors.

Fredescu

rass said:
I guess I'm not sure why you wouldn't just press full stop three times.

If you look in your character map you can find the keystroke for special characters per font.

…

Looks a bit too squished.

Choc

Banned
expect the internet to go down tonight

Delay confirmed. and mark said democracy inaction on kotaku pilon :p

so democracy fails.

however this is not as bad as a No, its just a delay

a six month delay but a delay all the same

EDIT

In summary, AGs have asked for better guidelines on how the possible intro of an R18+ would affect current rating

dear AGs why waste money on this UNTIL you can see the impact. So they are asking for a rewrite of the classification laws without approving it to see how it changes

fuck.me.

EDIT 2:

There was a vote. apparent result was 6-1.

WA voted no as they want more time

EDIT 3:

oflc.gov.au is down. hopefully 'gamers' are not being dicks and ddos'ing it

as well as this the reactions on twitter make me a very sad man and worried about all of it. People are vowing to do to WA AG what they did to Atkinson. This is not good

Shaneus

Hasn't enough research been done on this already? How could studies change between when they were conducted and now?

Fuuuuuck.

No, seems to me that they're asking for people to better explain how the ratings would work in practice. What is suitable for each rating etc. In other words, they're reclassifying all the ratings, or at least asking for guidance on doing so.

That means that the for reals work begins for us now too, to make sure they draw up classifications properly for the proposal at the next meeting.

Jintor

Choc said:
expect the internet to go down tonight

Delay confirmed. and mark said democracy inaction on kotaku pilon :p

so democracy fails.

however this is not as bad as a No, its just a delay

a six month delay but a delay all the same

EDIT

In summary, AGs have asked for better guidelines on how the possible intro of an R18+ would affect current rating

dear AGs why waste money on this UNTIL you can see the impact. So they are asking for a rewrite of the classification laws without approving it to see how it changes

fuck.me.

EDIT 2:

EDIT 3:

oflc.gov.au is down. hopefully 'gamers' are not being dicks and ddos'ing it

as well as this the reactions on twitter make me a very sad man and worried about all of it. People are vowing to do to WA AG what they did to Atkinson. This is not good

Can I get a source for the votes? Gamespot_AU is reporting that no indication of who voted what was provided, though I can guess that WA was probably against it

Thinking about it I can see the merit in the arguement that the introduction of the R18+ rating won't really affect what's already in MA15+ rating boxes too much... and I think a lot of the arguement so far has been somewhat undirected in that regard.

Rezbit

But what's the point if at the next meeting the same WA AG says "Hmm, nope." All a waste of time and resources, yet again.

Agyar

Here's a novel idea: do your job and research the shit you're supposed to be discussing and voting on before you have your b-annual meeting.

Why do we pay these idiots again?

Jintor

Rezbit said:
But what's the point if at the next meeting the same WA AG says "Hmm, nope." All a waste of time and resources, yet again.

Well yeah, but better to at least try now since we're not going to get that unanimous vote thing removed without a massive massive fight

Choc

Banned
progress...

“Look,” he began, “I’m just glad we reached some sort of consensus. This is a point upon which we can move forward from.

“It could’ve gone better, but there was a lot of goodwill in the room, and everyone agreed that things need to be changed with the rating system. We need to protect children from unsuitable games and we need to make sure that adults are allowed to play the games they want to play.

“It’s all about the guidelines,” he continued. “We need to have a clear consensus on the guidlines and we’re on the right track.”

this is from kotaku

“Ah look,” he said, “Christian has a really open mind about the subject, and he is genuinely worried about the way games are currently falling into childrens hands under MA15+. Like I said there was a real consensus in the room, and this is a good first step. Changes will be made and the way we adjust the guidelines are a very important part of that process. We have to work out what’s in and what’s out.

hirokazu

Choc said:

Source? Unverified tweets on Twitter claim more than one vote against it.

classification.gov.au has been down for several hours, well before any rumours of what the outcome was going to be, so I doubt it was gamer rage DDoS attacks.

On gamer rage, threats, and other things that don't help the cause: we can't stop the idiots from being immature about it. Best that the rest of us continue good construction discussion and action where necessary.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:
People are pretty much the same anywhere.

In any population, you get about 10% supercool champs and 10% douchebags. Americans get a bad rap because so much of their entertainment media dominates our culture, and we mentally pick out the extreme cases in any group of people with which we're not familiar.

The most horrible unfriendly people I've met have been Australians, because statistically I've spent more time with Aussies than other demographic and there has been more chances to see the upper end of the arsehole scale.
No. Trust me, I was born there, I have been to school there, and I was in the army there. The are the most ignorant people on the planet. Most of them are incredibly nice on a personal level, absolutely, but once they have to deal with something outside their immediate circle they become bad horrible people, with no interest in learning anything at all.

Choc said:
apparently WA AG has asked for more time before making a decision

its not hard my friend. You are the AG of the state that wanted it the most. That right there should be decision done.

sigh

can't say i am surprised.
Ugh.

Jintor said:
Can I get a source for the votes? Gamespot_AU is reporting that no indication of who voted what was provided, though I can guess that WA was probably against it

Thinking about it I can see the merit in the arguement that the introduction of the R18+ rating won't really affect what's already in MA15+ rating boxes too much... and I think a lot of the arguement so far has been somewhat undirected in that regard.
The only merit in that argument is if you assume no more games will ever be released that straddle the borderline of MA15+.

Bernbaum

Dead Man said:
No. Trust me, I was born there, I have been to school there, and I was in the army there. The are the most ignorant people on the planet. Most of them are incredibly nice on a personal level, absolutely, but once they have to deal with something outside their immediate circle they become bad horrible people, with no interest in learning anything at all.

Ugh.
Think of it from my position- the most annoying arrogant people I've met have been from Australia.

Trust me, I was born there, I have been to school there, and I was in the army
of lightsaber-wielding dinosaur knights in my imagination
there.

Possibly a circular argument, and I have no way of fully understanding your circumstances, but I stand by my argument that the human being - under the mattress-thick layers of language and cultural differences - is roughly the same beast no matter where you travel.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:
Think of it from my position- the most annoying arrogant people I've met have been from Australia.

Trust me, I was born there, I have been to school there, and I was in the army
of lightsaber-wielding dinosaur knights in my imagination
there.

Possibly a circular argument, and I have no way of fully understanding your circumstances, but I stand by my argument that the human being - under the mattress-thick layers of language and cultural differences - is roughly the same beast no matter where you travel.
I agree with that, but the mattress thick layers of cultural differences in this case includes xenophobia when not speaking to an individual, and masses of ignorance in general.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like we don't get to say we're not a country full of racist bigots and then also say that the US is full of close-minded conservative 'fucking yanks' nut-jobs.

Dead Man

Rez said:
I feel like we don't get to say we're not a country full of racist bigots and then also say that the US is full of close-minded conservative 'fucking yanks' nut-jobs.
Fair call. I don't deny Australia has plenty of idiots too, but they make up a far larger proportion of the population in the US, at least when measured by ignorance.

Disappointing because of the lack of an immediate outcome, but if all works well then six months really isn't a long time to wait. And yes, we can be a bunch of bigots when we want to and it's hilarious when we're so hypocritical about it. No country or culture likes being called out on its bullshit, it's one thing when people are ignorant about it, but worse when they are fully aware.

Yoshiya

fappenmeister said:
Disappointing because of the lack of an immediate outcome, but if all works well then six months really isn't a long time to wait.
:lol

The same thing will just happen again, Atkinson or not. How many years has it been now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom