• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Err, what? As the foreign minister he's defending his citizen and actually standing up to the US, which is a hell of a lot better than what the PM was doing and is really quite refreshing. Like the man or not, I don't see how you could do anything other than applaud his comments.

Kritz

Banned
Today has taught me that it's generally a bad idea to let a group of 60 students develop their own webpages for an end of year CD project, and expect their pages to actually work the day you go to burn them.

On the bright side, I now have the 2010 version of Geocities. About 100 copies of it.

Bernbaum

So I will be shutting down my university email that I have used for over a decade and has served me through several degrees as well as my first few real jobs as an academic at the uni.

The ~60 minutes that I get to play video games each day is the last remaining stronghold of my youth.

Sob :(

Mush

Hello friends,

I am here on behalf of myself and Juicy Bob on a mission to recruit drivers for a joint AUS-NZ GT5 NeoGAF league team. I ask that we put our differences and petty rivalry's aside and join forces on the track in the name of justice. Or something.

Yeah so, stuff.

If you wish to join Australian and New Zealand Awesome Cars, drop either of us a message.

Chur.

Clipper

SydGAF, don't forget to mention if you are available any time in the next two weeks for a meet up. We need numbers and we need availabilities to arrange anything.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've decided to go the more safe option and do a double degree, Computer Science and Arts (Majoring in Music) at Monash. I can take on Game-Design related electives during the CompSci course, and the core work is both more general and more indepth. I want all the theoretical and mathematical understanding that comes with CompSci as opposed to the Bachelor of IT (Majoring in Game Design).

so, yay, go me, I suppose. I just moved into a place in Oakleigh, right between Monash Clayton and Caulfield, so next year is looking good.

Rahk

Clipper said:
SydGAF, don't forget to mention if you are available any time in the next two weeks for a meet up. We need numbers and we need availabilities to arrange anything.
I should be free pretty much any day after this Sunday.

Ventron

I think the editor of 9 News had a meth overdose recently.

- New cheesy intros for each sections
- Oprah lesbian rumours
- Peter Harvey dressing as a shopping centre Santa

rass

Rez said:
I've decided to go the more safe option and do a double degree, Computer Science and Arts (Majoring in Music) at Monash. I can take on Game-Design related electives during the CompSci course, and the core work is both more general and more indepth. I want all the theoretical and mathematical understanding that comes with CompSci as opposed to the Bachelor of IT (Majoring in Game Design).

so, yay, go me, I suppose. I just moved into a place in Oakleigh, right between Monash Clayton and Caulfield, so next year is looking good.
gratz man, I have an info session at swinburne next week about comp sci, I hope I can take it up part time next year so I can transition out of my damn job.

Bernbaum

Just saw my first shopping trolley-pushing Mum absolutely lose her shit at her game-greedy son at EB.

*sniffs air heartily*

The festive season is here!

Mush

Bernbaum said:
Just saw my first shopping trolley-pushing Mum absolutely lose her shit at her game-greedy son at EB.

*sniffs air heartily*

The festive season is here!
What was he asking for? GTA? :lol

Johnkers

Anybody going to the Gorillaz tour? Hearing really great things!

I have two gold reserve seated tix (Row C) that I'd love to swap for GA if anybody is interested!

Bernbaum

Mush said:
What was he asking for? GTA? :lol
He was asking for a pre-owned copy of some Transformers game for 360. Mummy yelled at him saying if he really wanted it, then he shouldn't expect anything for christmas, effectively:

a) filling him with guilt.
b) reminding him that his family is probably poor.
c) squashing any lingering beliefs in Santa Claus the child may have held onto.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Mush

Bernbaum said:
Meanwhile I spent $200 on a bunch of shit I'll probably never touch.
You could give said stuff to the kid and spread some christmas cheer to the less fortunate!

Who the fuck am I kidding?

Fredescu

Bernbaum said:
I've been trying to figure out if I should let my kid believe in Santa Claus. My dad was a bit cynical so he never brought me up to believe in Santa, but as he softens in his old age he says he regrets that and he should have let me believe. I can't understand why anyone would want to, but I wonder if this is because I was brought up to be cynical and I can't step outside it to see the benefit of a belief in Santa. Maybe it will all become obvious as my kid gets older.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Fredescu said:
I've been trying to figure out if I should let my kid believe in Santa Claus. My dad was a bit cynical so he never brought me up to believe in Santa, but as he softens in his old age he says he regrets that and he should have let me believe. I can't understand why anyone would want to, but I wonder if this is because I was brought up to be cynical and I can't step outside it to see the benefit of a belief in Santa. Maybe it will all become obvious as my kid gets older.
my parents used to leave powder Easter bunny footprints in the house for us to follow around and find the eggs. It was the greatest thing in the world. Let kids enjoy it, I say. Once they're in school you can of wean them off it.

Caramello

Fredescu said:

Let them? LET THEM? Man I don't even.. I'm really sorry you think that way.

Bernbaum said:
He was asking for a pre-owned copy of some Transformers game for 360. Mummy yelled at him saying if he really wanted it, then he shouldn't expect anything for christmas, effectively:

a) filling him with guilt.
b) reminding him that his family is probably poor.

Ho! Ho! Ho!
I remember as a kid watching my Mum buy stuff at the jewellery store and thinking "What a waste. That's perfectly good money she could be spending on games."

I used to get like two or three games a year. Man, it really made me appreciate each every single one (even if they sucked). Kid's probably been eyeing off that Transformers game for months now.

Fredescu

Caramello said:
Let them? LET THEM? Man I don't even.. I'm really sorry you think that way.
"Let them" is a bit too passive I guess. "Actively fabricate a deception" is more accurate.

Thanks fap and Rez. Food for thought,

Two or three games a year and you appreciated them all like they were the Best Game Ever, even if they were a steaming turd.

Christmas is a fantastic time of year to reflect and celebrate however it's just not the same anymore. Let em enjoy the magic. You've got plenty of time to think about it though Fred enjoy your first with him. :D

About the story at the shop, hopefully it was just his mum cracking it at him for being a little prick so he would shut up. This cheap game now or nothing for Christmas scenario.

fappenmeister said:
You ask most people their favourite Christmas experiences and most of them would be when they were kids and believed in Santa.
Not me. For me, it was playing Super Mario World and DKC2 for the first time :3

EDIT: Also, realising that Santa Claus wasn't real (either that or his handwriting was suspiciously similar to Mum's) was a good memory too. It made me realise how much effort Mum had gone to to keep the magic alive. I didn't let on that I knew it was her right away.

Man, I should totally call my Mum.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
EDIT: Also, realising that Santa Claus wasn't real (either that or his handwriting was suspiciously similar to Mum's) was a good memory too. It made me realise how much effort Mum had gone to to keep the magic alive. I didn't let on that I knew it was her right away.

HAhahahaha dude, mothers must love writing those notes, mine did the same!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not me. For me, it was playing Super Mario World and DKC2 for the first time :3

yep, this is one of my great childhood memories that I hadn't thought about until you mentioned it here.

Cohsae

2 exams today.
1 year of my Master's degree down, 1 to go. Drinks were on a bar tab tonight, and many more will be tomorrow. FUCK YEAH!

Bernbaum

I remember as a kid watching my Mum buy stuff at the jewellery store and thinking "What a waste. That's perfectly good money she could be spending on games."

I used to get like two or three games a year. Man, it really made me appreciate each every single one (even if they sucked). Kid's probably been eyeing off that Transformers game for months now.
I waited forever for games. We found where our parents hid the christmas presents, and they typically did the shopping months in advance. I remember finding the copy of Jurassic Park for the Sega Mega Drive and poring over it when the folks were out, before doing my best to return to it to the box without leaving a trace.

So different looking back now, and the degree to which christmas presents were built up in our minds in anticipation. We submitted a time capsule in primary school, and I remember writing on my letter that I couldn't wait until christmas so I could get my Sega Master System II. Other kids wrote about wanting to be a denstist or an astronaut when growing up
I wrote palaeontologist
but for me, that letter was all about Alex the Kidd.

Gazunta

2008-12-25-Christmas-1.gif

True story. LOL

:(

Deeku

My parents never tried to create the illusion that Santa existed. It was basically just yay it's christmas so my parents need to buy me shit.

But my most vivid memory of christmas was when our teacher made us write a letter to santa telling him what we wanted and she would send it to the north pole. So I wrote that I wanted a Gameboy plus a list of games. The teacher must have taken the letter to my parents because it was exactly what I got that year. Good times.

jambo

BSS said:
I assume you're talking about the Mustang?
Yeah the Mustang, 102 buttons and all.

It's odd using chords and strumming with a pick. Awesome when you get it right though.

The lessons actually feel rewarding now, so I'm gonna complete all of them. You get fans for doing lessons too.

Ah, Christmas memories.

My parents didn't really give us much during the year, but Mum would go absolutely nuts at Christmas time. My favourite was when Santa left a letter in the bottom of my Santa sack telling me to look on the verandah, and there waiting for me was a magnificent BMX. At the time I'm pretty sure I recognised the handwriting but I was in denial so I ignored it.

My best memories of childhood are going to bed on Christmas Eve and being so excited that I could hardly sleep, and that feeling when I would wake up the next morning and see all the presents under the tree was magical.

Like Squirrel said, when I found out eventually that the big guy wasn't real it made me appreciate all the effort my parents had gone to (as well as the money they spent, as we didn't have a lot).

I think it is partly because of how I grew up having Santa that I now love to buy gifts for those I love, and can't wait to have kids of my own to spoil.

Also, I think it is because of my Christmas memories that I am such a Christmas nerd now. I love listening to (good) Christmas music, love watching Christmas movies, and still get genuinely excited every year.

Choc

Banned
So today might be a historic day. By 5pm we should know as the media has taken quite the interest and sent people down to Canberra to cover it

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Choc said:
So today might be a historic day. By 5pm we should know as the media has taken quite the interest and sent people down to Canberra to cover it
for the r18 thing? fingers crossed, I guess.

I hope common sense wins out and people realise that enabling the R18 rating won't suddenly rejuvenate the industry in Australia solely for the purpose of pumping out high fidelity sex games, but instead will see the games actually made in other countries (that do have the appropriate rating and as such receive the appropriate rating) get their well-earnt adult rating. Please. Please let common sense prevail.

Choc

Banned
Honestly believe if it doesn't happen today we won't see it in our life times

because like the republic debate they will just keep referring back this day saying we already discussed this they didnt want ti blah blah

but all the AG's should be sacked (those who say no anyway) because 98.4% of people want it including 98% of people randomly called by Galaxy Poll.

if the WA one blocks it he definately should go because they had the highest want for the rating in the country and so therefore is not doing his job as a politician by representing what the majority of his electorate want.

If i was a newspaper writer and it fails today my headline for it would be democracy fails
with the sub headline how can one man hold an entire country to ransom

because thats exactly what it is.

pilonv1

Choc said:
Honestly believe if it doesn't happen today we won't see it in our life times

Probably, which is ridiculous.

If i was a newspaper writer and it fails today my headline for it would be democracy fails
with the sub headline how can one man hold an entire country to ransom

It's good that in times of need that choc can keep a level head and be rational about things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom