• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernbaum

I won't be submitting a top ten ordered GotY to NeoGAF or Giant Bomb this year. A discretely ordered X>Y>Z list just doesn't sum up the year in gaming for me.

Best Game:

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Amazing games that made me rethink just how engaging video games can be:

Bayonetta
Vanquish
Pac-Man CE DX

Amazing game that would probably be included in the above list if I hadn't just picked it up only three days ago:

Super Meat Boy

New release games that were very very good and made up 50% of the bulk of my 2010 in gaming because I do my research like a champ and I try not to buy crappy games anymore:

Bioshock 2
Heavy Rain
God of War 3
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Just Cause 2
Red Steel 2
Alan Wake
Super Street Fighter IV
Crackdown 2
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Metroid Other M
Halo: Reach
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’hoole
Goldeneye 007
Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Best game that I originally wrote off as being average but replayed and will defend sword and hilt because it's one of the best FPS games on any platform ever and I'm secretly worried it will get overlooked even though it's polished as all fuck despite a few framerate issues, clunky friendly AI and an inconsistent checkpoint system:

Halo: Reach

Best shooter that wasn't Vanquish or Halo: Reach:

Goldeneye 007

Best open-world sandbox game:

Just Cause 2

Best worst-made game that was a hoot to play:

Crackdown 2

Most immediately satisfying game with the highest reward:time investment ratio and y'all should play it with an arcade stick:

Pac-Man CE DX

Most addictive game:

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

The 'Bernbaum's Bakery™' award for a game that could have done with maybe a month or two more in the oven:

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Best Song:

Let's Dance Boys - Bayonetta

Best techno song from a video game that makes you work out like a fucking champ at the gym because it's energetic as all hell:

Pac Rainbow - Pac-Man CE DX

Best single line of dialogue:

"Don't fuck with a witch!" - Bayonetta

Best use of licensed properties:

Poker Night at the Inventory

Best gameplay mechanic:

Bayonetta's blocking system and witch-time

Best shotgun:

Alan Wake

Best boss battle:

Jubileus - Bayonetta

Most contrived implementation of turret sections:

Red Dead Redemption

Game I liked the visuals of the most, regardless of technical proficiency:

God of War III

Worst colour palette:

Metroid Other M

Most impressive software tech, despite its ho-hum gameplay:

Red Dead Redemption

Best character:

Bayonetta's bum - Bayonetta

Worst character:

Samus Aran - Metroid Other M

Platform I felt most guilty about buying a bunch of games for that I never play:

iPhone

Most under-loved platform in the household:

PC

Best bargain:

Civilization Revolution for free on the iTunes store

The best/worst/only game I played on my PSP all year oh dear god why did I buy this fucking handheld I can't remember:

Gran Turismo

Best thing that I bought that doesn't have any good games to go with it just yet:

Playstation Move

Best game no-one played but no-one will believe me because they'll think I'm just trying to be nice to Gazunta:

The Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Best non-2010 game that I played all year:

Mass Effect

The only three games I wanted but didn't get to play in 2010 but will play soon enough:

Mass Effect 2
Professor Layton 3
Donkey Kong Country Returns

2010's biggest gaming phenomenon that went right over my head and I probably won't ever play it despite my appreciation for earlier entries in the series:

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Best sequel that no-one wanted yet managed to transcend my expectations given the difficulty of trying to match the lofty merits of the original, even if the majority of NeoGAF disregarded it:

Bioshock 2

Best game to bore me senseless but still managed to entertain me at times even if it were for all the wrong reasons and wasn't actually all that bad even though it is entirely undeserving of its critical acclaim but I can't stop thinking about it for some reason okay it wasn't a complete waste of time I guess:

Red Dead Redemption

Best game which, on paper, I should absolutely hate because it aimed to take gaming in a direction I don't want it to go but surprised me with how much I enjoyed it even though I'll never play it again:

Heavy Rain

Best content I have yet to play because it isn't available on PC yet:

Bioshock 2: Minerva's Den

Game I spent the most time looking at on shelves, trying to decide whether to get it or not, to the point that I've scared the store clerks and yet still haven't made a decision:

Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

Best podcast:

The Idle Thumbs Podcast

Best podcast that wrapped up before 2010 yet I didn't listen to until this year and was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining it was even though they were talking about games from like, a billion years ago:

Idle Thumbs

Best video game website:

Giantbomb.com

Best video game website for babies:

us.kotaku.com

Best broadcast TV video game show:

n/a

Favourite person in video games, even if he didn't put anything out this year:

Ken Levine, Irrational Games

Most bizarre moment:

Meeting Sony's 'translator guy' at E3

Nerdiest moment:

Reading a Mass Effect novel set in the extended universe and enjoying it

The 'I can't believe I didn't get stabbed!™' award for crossing the threshold of internet anonymity and risking a hepatitis-laden shiv to the kidneys from an unknown identity:

BrisGAF meet-up 1.0

Best developer, whom are only capable of producing amazing things and can do no wrong:

Platinum Games

Indie developer I want most to succeed because they're super swell:

Nnooo, Sydney Australia

The No. 1 hot news topic that, whilst I believe is still important, has been slightly overblown by the gaming collective who suffer from an overwhelming sense of entitlement and don't like things being taken away from them, even though only a handful of games have been refused classification here anyway:

R18+ classification for video games

Most disappointing moment:

Losing all my medals in Game Room for some reason - either when I installed it for GFWL, or when I migrated my XBL account to a different console

Worst game:

Limbo

Game that makes me immediately question the integrity of anyone who says it's a good game, including Brad Shoemaker:

Limbo

Game that I played three fucking times and enjoyed less each time even though I got measurably better at it with each playthrough, yet which completely fails to meld its strong presentation with its below average puzzle-platforming gameplay in an effective way and just suddenly ends for no fucking reason and people say that "No Bernbaum, that's called ART" and then I start vomiting:

Limbo

I thought this might be a good place to ask- if I import a PS3 game from the UK and it comes with DLC codes, would I be able to use them with my Australian PSN account?

jercruz

OneMoreQuestion said:
I thought this might be a good place to ask- if I import a PS3 game from the UK and it comes with DLC codes, would I be able to use them with my Australian PSN account?

yes, its compatible.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Work is dead as a door nail. If only i had money i would find a jb and buy pilgrim on bluray. Although i probably shouldn't be spending money as i don't really have any :lol

T1tan

Neo Member
Random (PC) GAF deals in Sydney CBD.

Metro 2033 for $28 at EB Games
Prince of Persia (2008) for $20 at EB Games
BioShock 2 for $37 at JB Hi Fi

Anyone else got a half day on Friday?

T1tan said:
Random (PC) GAF deals in Sydney CBD.

Metro 2033 for $28 at EB Games
Prince of Persia (2008) for $20 at EB Games
BioShock 2 for $37 at JB Hi Fi

Anyone else got a half day on Friday?

Bioshock 2 Rapture edition is $30 at a few JBs in Melbourne.
The Saboteur (PC) is $15

Agyar

Any Brisgaffers looking for new housemates or know of someone looking? My brother is looking to move out of his current place as one of the other tenants is moving out and the household is falling apart.

rass

legend166 said:
rass, I saw you overtook me on Meat Boy, and I just couldn't allow that to stand.
And it now stands again.
Until you beat another level and bury me haha. It's crashing semi regularly for me, mostly when I check the leaderboard for every single level I finish, as I finish them haha

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so I'm playing WoW for the first time.

The first two days I sunk something absurd like 8 hours in, but at the moment I've got myself down to 30 mins to an hour. If I keep it up like this I might be able to casually explore a lot of the world over a couple of months.

I really like looking around the world and exploring and collecting/killing stuff, but it's so manipulative. It's almost immoral. I'd rather not think about it.

Rez said:
so I'm playing WoW for the first time.

The first two days I sunk something absurd like 8 hours in, but at the moment I've got myself down to 30 mins to an hour. If I keep it up like this I might be able to casually explore a lot of the world over a couple of months.

I really like looking around the world and exploring and collecting/killing stuff, but it's so manipulative. It's almost immoral. I'd rather not think about it.

It certainly is easy to find yourself playing for long periods of time. Right now with work i can usually only manage an hour or two to play and some days not at all (i usually play a bit more on weekends).

I'm a bit of an altoholic. I always like trying out all the different classes but i usually don't get that high as i just enjoy exploring, exploring and pvping at low levels.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why are you noobs not in the lame Ausgaf guild!!

Also for some reason my bank account has gone up another $120. No credits at all. Back to the bank today i guess :lol

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
rass said:
I'm off to the beach for new year's eve, have a good one ausgaf and see you in 2011

enjoy!

I don't have any plans :lol :lol my friend whom usually hosts a gathering is over seas

currently my plans include me, my laptop and watching some sc2.

i'm excited! (not really)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
HolyCheck said:
enjoy!

I don't have any plans :lol :lol my friend whom usually hosts a gathering is over seas

currently my plans include me, my laptop and watching some sc2.

i'm excited! (not really)

Join us in steam chat and link us the SC2. You know we will be there :lol

Choc

Banned
For those unaware, i am located in an area which has a pretty good view of the bridge.

People are already parking their car for tommorow and going home. Wow. I am using my car to hold a spot for someone but shit i've never seen it like this!!!!!

Dead Man

Choc said:
For those unaware, i am located in an area which has a pretty good view of the bridge.

People are already parking their car for tommorow and going home. Wow. I am using my car to hold a spot for someone but shit i've never seen it like this!!!!!
How does that work? Do they plan to drive home from there, or do they live there? If they can get home, would not be easier to use public transport, or is that packed out?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Choc said:

Ausgaf syd meet up at chocs for tomorrow night confirmed. Lock it in with the wife.

:O

User Name Posts
Choc 539
evlcookie 523

Not #1. Yes!

Choc

Banned
Dead Man said:
How does that work? Do they plan to drive home from there, or do they live there? If they can get home, would not be easier to use public transport, or is that packed out?

public transport after 12am Fireworks is a fucking mess, takes hours to get home

so they would go home on PT today and in on PT tommorow

but drive home

Deeku

Choc said:

Eh, it's like that every year.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
fappenmeister said:
Freshwater Blue is the worst show I have ever seen.

The two chicks on the front poster look kinda hot. I take it all the people are good looking? And what's wrong with it. I'm sure it's another fine aussie teen drama production.

Also. Maybe i should watch the local news from time to time. I had no idea about the flood up north. Looks insane.

legend166

fappenmeister said:

cookie, it's the Australian version of The Hills/Laguna Beach, i.e. a faux reality show.

I grew up on the Northern Beaches. The girls are vapid, but not that vapid.

It's all fake though.

Funny thing is, one of my brother's mates (who still lives there) says he saw them at a pub filming stuff, and people were just yelling abuse at them :lol

Kritz

Banned
P2.png

So I decided to make a bad super hero comic.

Spoiler: It's going to be really bad.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So next week's forecast for Perth is 40, 40, 40, 40 before I leave.

The rest of the week in Japan. 5, 6, 5 ,6.

Doomed.

HolyCheck

VOOK said:
So next week's forecast for Perth is 40, 40, 40, 40 before I leave.

The rest of the week in Japan. 5, 6, 5 ,6.

Doomed.

:lol :lol :lol

I probably asked last, but I forget. Where abouts in Japan you staying? moving about a fair bit?

Shaneus

Ohhh, the logo, rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise says ED.

Awesome. More cleverness in a single drawing than a lifetime of VGCats "comics".

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
HolyCheck said:
:lol :lol :lol

I probably asked last, but I forget. Where abouts in Japan you staying? moving about a fair bit?

Staying in Ikebukuro, heading out to Chiba and gonna head on the train somewhere with snow. Just cos.

Ventron

fappenmeister said:

That award will probably be stolen by "Conviction Kitchen".

If you don't know what that show is about, just try and guess. Really. Try.

HolyCheck

VOOK said:
Staying in Ikebukuro, heading out to Chiba and gonna head on the train somewhere with snow. Just cos.

yeah, do. snow.

p.s. buy so much cheap arse video game shit.

(i know you will)

i still treasure my wonderswan colour, and GCN soul calibur 4 arcade stick.. and NES coloured GBA SP sooo much

evlcookie said:
Why are you noobs not in the lame Ausgaf guild!!

I have actually started to expand my own guild now (have had it for almost 2 years and used it as a bank for my friends and I). I haven't really tried it before but i think i might actually try and organise raids for this expansion. Not serious or anything, just having fun.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
AdventureRacing said:
I have actually started to expand my own guild now (have had it for almost 2 years and used it as a bank for my friends and I). I haven't really tried it before but i think i might actually try and organise raids for this expansion. Not serious or anything, just having fun.

What server were you guys on again?

Dead Man

Choc said:
public transport after 12am Fireworks is a fucking mess, takes hours to get home

so they would go home on PT today and in on PT tommorow

but drive home
Sounds like a hassle any way you cut it.

On a side note, it's 5am and 32 bloody degrees. That is not right.

Darklord

Banned
Why the hell does it have to be 40c when I have a full day of work then cools right down when I don't work? Come on! We don't even have aircon in the back. Shits going to be like 50c+ in there. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom