• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha. Still up taking the first dump of 2011. I was an hour late according to my set timezone on gaf, i'm a melbournite. We went looking for the hosts dog everywhere cause we thought it ran out. Also there are no actual pics of me doing the run, apparently i kept accidently hiding it from the camera lens. If photos arise i may post them haha. Hope you all had a good night, even if you didn't go out!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
oh shit, sorry tntnnbltn. this is what you get for having an untypable user-name and me not being sure whether you want your first name used on the internet. :lol

Shaneus

Hey, if anyone here's looking for Singularity on the cheap, the guy who gifted it for me from the UK had the transaction go through twice (stupid Steam) so if you're keen to get it for the original Steam sale price ($17US), PM brain_stew :)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fuck. I don't seem to have a way to top up my myki (pub transport card) without a CC. Unless i go all the way to knox and use the machine there. But that's a fair trip and i'm lazy.

Not having a CC/Debit card really blows.

Bernbaum

Christ, I left my camera lying around like an idiot and now I have an unwanted collection of random scrotum and muff photos.

Yes, the old 'sneak a photo of your balls onto the careless schmuck's camera' gag is funny and we've all done it, but these shots were executed without any subtlety or craft - I can see the perpetrators faces for fucks sake.

Happy New Year!

Agyar

Just bought Dawn of Discovery on Steam. I seem to recall Idle Thumbs banging on about this one for a while and it sounded like something I might like to play if I had a decent computer (which I now do). Between it, Dawn of War 2 and Tropico I hope to find something to wean me off Civ 5.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Agyar said:
Just bought Dawn of Discovery on Steam. I seem to recall Idle Thumbs banging on about this one for a while and it sounded like something I might like to play if I had a decent computer (which I now do). Between it, Dawn of War 2 and Tropico I hope to find something to wean me off Civ 5.
remember, you need tools to build a tool factory, it's, like, total bullshit

Stackboy

Happy new something AusGaf. I spent last night at a houseparty with some good friends.

Today I'm playing my favourites from last year. Mostly Reach and Rock Band 3.

Kritz

Banned
So glad a bunch of people jumped on NFS. That game is SHOCKINGLY fun, and a fairly decent port. It looks really awesome and plays super smooth. Menus are a little funky even with a controller, and friend support is... weird. But man it's fun wrecking people's shit as a cop, and then raging at the shitty collision detection and Vanty's terrible lag.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Stayed up playing Minecraft til 4am with my friend for New Years, yeeeah.

Tntnnbltn

Rez said:
oh shit, sorry tntnnbltn. this is what you get for having an untypable user-name and me not being sure whether you want your first name used on the internet. :lol
It's not untypable.

If it helps, remember is gangster rap style. T to the N to the TNNBLTN.

rass

2011 can eat shit so far.

I'm back in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne where I live, my bike is still in Phillip Island with a nail sticking out of the back tyre. Do you know how many businesses that repair this kind of thing are open at the moment? NONE. Do you know how useful the RACV roadside assist, specifically for motorcycles, is in a situation which is common for motorcycles? Not at all. $550 for a tow back to Melbourne so I had to get a lift and now I get to go back today with my dad's trailer, hooray! My first purchase for the new year is going to be a tubeless tyre repair kit. Rahk, buy a tyre fixing kit. I have experienced frustration like nothing I have before this year, the year can only get better!

Now, to play Super Meat Boy until dad gets home from Geelong.

rass said:
2011 can eat shit so far.

I'm back in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne where I live, my bike is still in Phillip Island with a nail sticking out of the back tyre. Do you know how many businesses that repair this kind of thing are open at the moment? NONE. Do you know how useful the RACV roadside assist, specifically for motorcycles, is in a situation which is common for motorcycles? Not at all. $550 for a tow back to Melbourne so I had to get a lift and now I get to go back today with my dad's trailer, hooray! My first purchase for the new year is going to be a tubeless tyre repair kit. Rahk, buy a tyre fixing kit. I have experienced frustration like nothing I have before this year, the year can only get better!

Now, to play Super Meat Boy until dad gets home from Geelong.

On Australia Day, a bunch of bogans (not normal Aussies, bogans) dumped a bucketful of puke onto my car. It's not fun.

At least the drive to Phillip Island is easy.

Fredescu

Kritz said:
So glad a bunch of people jumped on NFS. That game is SHOCKINGLY fun, and a fairly decent port. It looks really awesome and plays super smooth. Menus are a little funky even with a controller, and friend support is... weird. But man it's fun wrecking people's shit as a cop, and then raging at the shitty collision detection and Vanty's terrible lag.
Game is so good. MP is awesome and the autolog stuff makes the SP so addictive. Must be a dozen or so AusGaffers with it too, so we seem to be able to get frequent MP sessions happening. Hopefully it will be on the catch up sale tomorrow so the stragglers can pick it up.

markot

Banned
Megadrive said:
On Australia Day, a bunch of bogans (not normal Aussies, bogans) dumped a bucketful of puke onto my car. It's not fun.

At least the drive to Phillip Island is easy.

Did they actually use a bucket >_>?

Shaneus

Fredescu said:
Game is so good. MP is awesome and the autolog stuff makes the SP so addictive. Must be a dozen or so AusGaffers with it too, so we seem to be able to get frequent MP sessions happening. Hopefully it will be on the catch up sale tomorrow so the stragglers can pick it up.
I jumped in on it this morning, too... $22.61AU for a code from CDKeyHere.com that I can use with the EA downloader. Can't wait to fire it up, especially with my new mobo and dual 5850 GPUs :D

Bernbaum

Giantbomb's GotY videos and deliberation podcasts have been fantastic. Jeff's video of Halo: Reach is hilarious, and the arguments over the winners for each category - especially the ones where Brad sticks his heels in - have been some of the best discussions on video games I've listened to.

I'm addicted to every aspect of Halo: Reach and am performing above-average in Team Slayer, much to my delight.

Halo: Reach could be the only game I play through 2011 and I'd be a happy kid.

markot

Banned
Having played the Demo for NFS on the PC I am about to purchase it after having enjoyed the aforementioned demo.

OH WAIT.

WHY WOULD EA RELEASE A DEMO FOR THE PC VERSION?! WHAT COULD THEY GAIN?!

Fuck you EA. Not even for 10 bucks now ya basterds.

legend166

Shaneus said:
I jumped in on it this morning, too... $22.61AU for a code from CDKeyHere.com that I can use with the EA downloader. Can't wait to fire it up, especially with my new mobo and dual 5850 GPUs :D

If it's not up for sale on Steam tomorrow I'll buy it from there. Is it legit?

Shaneus

Seems to be... there are testimonials on OzBargain.com specifically for NFSHP, plus there's some mention of them on Whirlpool.net.au for Black Ops keys. They (apparently) take a photo of the key on the box to send to you, not just a typed-out email. "Apparently" because I haven't received mine yet, but that's probably because of it being the weekend, NYD (when I ordered it) or a combination of the two. Either way, the code is usually sent within an hour or two.

If it works out okay, I'll definitely let you guys know... and order from them again.

Bought Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom earlier this afternoon at JB Hi Fi for $34. Spent the last two hours playing it so I'll share my thoughts and opinions. Apparently it's like Ico for those of you that have played it.

It's not a terribly attractive game from a technical standpoint, it looks like a (nice) PS2 game at times, and there's some noticeable frame drops, however the art is really nice.

The Majin (dumb monster dude you're with) is pretty cool and the way you interact with it is always fun.

Combat is a little tiring (maybe because you're pissweak at the start) however you do gain experience for your characters by doing so and gain strength and all that jazz. Enemies respawn after you leave an area.

Cool exploration and backtracking too.

Overall, having a good time playing it. Check it out at that price if you haven't.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
Update: Just received the key... it arrived as a jpg attachment to an email, basically a photo of the case with the CD taken out and the key in completely full view. Will put the code in soon (currently downloading some more important stuff).

Guys seem completely legit and the fact that they sent out the code on the weekend... awesome!

Bernbaum

Majin looked like it might have the ingredients for something I might play, but the character design and imprecise platforming I gleaned from various videos put me off it - even for ~ $30 or so. I thought it might have been the same thing to Ico that Enslaved was to Uncharted, but there looks to be a sufficient standard of polish to warrant me playing it.

I play Ico at least once a year, usually around this time, but have put off my annual play in anticipation of the HD releases which really can't come soon enough.

Yagharek

Enslaved was horrid and uninspiring. Too much green giving me a headache and trip was an unlikable pain in the arse. Thinking I should have grabbed maijin or castlevania instead since they came out at the same time, but so did vanquish and Im up to chapter 3 now.

markot

Banned
Hm. Ass Creed 2 tomoz if the deal is up again, thanks to the less terrible DRM....

Thats about it though >.< This steam sale has been disappointing, I owned too many of the damn games on sale!

Nemesis_

RandomVince said:
Enslaved was horrid and uninspiring. Too much green giving me a headache and trip was an unlikable pain in the arse. Thinking I should have grabbed maijin or castlevania instead since they came out at the same time, but so did vanquish and Im up to chapter 3 now.

It truly is. Having let it "marinate" in my mind now I realise how boring and terrible it is, and how bad DmC will be. =(

Salazar

Nemesis556 said:
It truly is. Having let it "marinate" in my mind now I realise how boring and terrible it is, and how bad DmC will be. =(

I liked the tutorial. It had some of the same flaws as the rest of the game, but the irritation was alleviated by the sense that it was just a tutorial, and it did have an element of crazy spectacle.

Yagharek

I bought enslaved off the basis of the demo (ie the first level). Little did I know that it was all downhill from there. Combat is boring, trip is a useless ai 'partner' and the enemies on any difficulty are just staff sponges.

Maybe it hurt my appreciation for it having finished RE4, orange box and batman AA in the previous 2 months, but there is no way in hell enslaved is as good as it was made out to be.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
Update: Punched in the code just now (give or take, maybe 10 hours since I received the code, plenty of time for them to dupe if they were dodgy) and it registered fine, now downloading 16.5gb via the EA downloader. These guys seem like the real deal with buying foreign (yet legitimate) game keys for various systems. Highly recommend :)

legend166

Shaneus said:
Update: Punched in the code just now (give or take, maybe 10 hours since I received the code, plenty of time for them to dupe if they were dodgy) and it registered fine, now downloading 16.5gb via the EA downloader. These guys seem like the real deal with buying foreign (yet legitimate) game keys for various systems. Highly recommend :)

It's on Steam again anyway, I'll just buy it from there : D

Cohsae

Bernbaum said:
Do I pick up the Stalker bundle? Chris Remo and co. seemed to love those games.
For 5 bucks? Get on it. It can be a little frustrating at first, but if you can get through some minor annoyances it's an incredible experience. The atmosphere is amazing.

Agyar

I'm done with the Steam sale. Dawn of War II, Altitude, Tropico 3 and Dawn of Discovery. It's like an strategy revival in my mouth and only weird, turn-based shit is invited.

Bernbaum

Cohsae said:
For 5 bucks? Get on it. It can be a little frustrating at first, but if you can get through some minor annoyances it's an incredible experience. The atmosphere is amazing.
Oh alright then, twist my arm.

Agyar said:
It's like an strategy revival in my mouth and only weird, turn-based shit is invited.
:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom