• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Make sure you install the complete 2009 mod for stalker as well. I'm sure kritz will pop in and say it's worth it + what you should install and do.

Bernbaum

Is it just a texture pack?

I'm kind've a purist when it comes to these things. Visuals impress me, but after about an hour or more of playing, I completely stop noticing.

Stackboy

Kind of happy to see the Steam Sale go. It took all my money.

My last purchase was Dragon Age super dooper everything pack. Because I missed out on Boxing day.

Cohsae

Bernbaum said:
Is it just a texture pack?

I'm kind've a purist when it comes to these things. Visuals impress me, but after about an hour or more of playing, I completely stop noticing.
The complete patch will fix up a lot of little minor issues as well as graphical upgrades.

Danoss

Jumped on the Stalker pack (even though I own the boxed original and have barely played it ) :(

Also, couldn't resist Super Meat Boy at $7.50. Steam then kept suggesting bargain games on the side; this resulted in me getting VVVVVV, Bit.Trip.Beat and PvZ:GotY also.

I had to reboot Steam for the downloads to actually start working ("too busy" thingy), which resulted in me seeing Amnesia is on sale and am thinking about getting it too, even though I own Penumbra and haven't played that either.

EDIT: Caved and bought Amnesia right after posting this. Damn you Steam and your cheap prices!

Bernbaum

Had a look at the Stalker 2009 (2012) release notes. If it fixes bugs and makes it more immersive, I'm in.

Still on my neolithic 8800GT and AMD2 6400+. How much radicalness can I expect?

Bernbaum said:
Had a look at the Stalker 2009 (2012) release notes. If it fixes bugs and makes it more immersive, I'm in.

Make sure you post your impressions please. I hate STALKER as it is (the walk-bob makes me feel crappy) and if it can fix that I'm in too.

Rezbit

Juicy Bob said:
I want to find the guy from the musical AAMI advert and bludgeon him repeatedly around the face with a cricket bat.

The ads this year have been beyond terrible. Even the AAMI ad before that...that whiny chick "I never claim" AAAAAAH

Also:

IT MEANS WORRY FREE MOTORING

Salazar

Juicy Bob said:
I want to find the guy from the musical AAMI advert and bludgeon him repeatedly around the face with a cricket bat.

Yes. I am tempted to install listening devices rigged with explosives in all Australian advertising agencies, set to explode with gruesomely lethal effect whenever anybody mentions "dancing", "down the street", "singing in unison".

Too many mind-dissolvingly, obnoxiously fucking stupid Australian ads on that theme.

legend166

Bernbaum said:

I played with the mod with a 8800GT and it ran great.

Fun fact: They use terrible "singers" in ads because you remember them more. Which is clever, but I'd much rather remember a catchy, well-done jingle. Bah.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Bernbaum said:
Each season of Mad Men for $18 AUD equivalent on Blu-Ray.

Someone talk me out of buying Mad Men.

It's a slow and dull as fuck show.

Since i hate it, you should totally buy it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Bernbaum said:
Each season of Mad Men for $18 AUD equivalent on Blu-Ray.

Someone talk me out of buying Mad Men.
big_alison-brie-1dss.jpg

oh.. talk out of.. um

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
no, it's cool.

Mad Men is a show about long stretches of grey and paying attention to how characters develop over a long period of time.

masterful writing. it's ok if you don't like it though, we can't all be this smart. I need my toilet cleaned by someone.

Bernbaum

Each component of Mad Men was obviously very well-crafted when I watched the first season about two years ago, yet I felt an overarching story was lacking. The characterisation and production design was exceptional and there were tonnes of snappy dialogue, but I didn't get a sense of direction of where the show was going and the pacing was stuck in a gear just below what my attention span demands. I recall describing my impressions in the first AusGAF thread as 'less than the sum of its parts'. There is one caveat- I never made it to the final episode of the first season and I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong.

Agyar tried to convince me that it isn't a show you sit down and smash through a whole series over a couple of days. Rather, he suggested that each episode be watched individually and left to stew in the back of the mind before returning for the next installment of the story.

Still not sure if I have the attention span for that, especially since I usually have a book, a comic book and a video game on the go at any one moment and watch about 3 movies a week.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I slammed through all four seasons over roughly two months. You can make it work but you really have to actually put yourself outside of your comfort zone to do so. If I could do it again I would probably still make my way through the first two seasons pretty quickly, but Season 3 is where a lot of really fucking amazing, unpredictable but really, really right character pay-offs start happening, and then Season 4 is like a whirlwind of certain characters spiraling out of control and others grabbing the bull by the horns.

You have to invest yourself in it, but they really do make good on it with time. And they could only have made good on it if the show was so depressing or even unremarkably normal in the way the characters are slowly established in the earlier episodes. Even within the earlier seasons, pay-offs like Season 1's carousel scene really stick with me.

Also, maybe it's just me, but it's so nice to see decent female characters on TV.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's also true that ever talking about this show makes you sound like a complete wanker. so, bear that in mind.

for instance, if you'd even consider typing a blog post on the show I think we could never be friends.

Bernbaum

Soooo.... Rent or buy?

And I'm not trying to be cheap. By 'Buy' I want to know if this is a show that 'I like and will return to for a second viewing so I can relish my favourite moments and look for things I didn't notice first time around'.

As for blogposting, is that a veiled warning not to post my moment-by-moment scotch-stained impressions of the show in this very thread. Because I'll do it by gosh, I'll brave the tempest of wankery.

Bernbaum

I've watched almost the entire first season.

To re-iterate- I felt the show had all the fundamental building blocks of something I'd love, but rewarded my viewing at too slow a pace. Fans of the show praise the long-term payoff of the show's intrinsic slow-burning delivery and I think I may not have stuck with the show long enough to have enjoyed that prize.

Speaking of scotch, does anyone like Boston Legal? I loooved that show.

edit: also, regarding mad men, i don't enjoy agonisingly slow shows. shows don't need to wrap up at the end of each episode but i enjoy feeling something is actually happening.

Frawdder

Mad Men is amazing. Watch it.

I got really addicted to it when I bought season 1-3 on Blu-ray to catch up. Watched 10 episodes in one day and tore through all 3 seasons in about 2-3 weeks. Then I caught up with the first 7 episodes of season 4 in two days and watched the rest as it aired.

Dead Man

Megadrive said:
Speaking of scotch, does anyone like Boston Legal? I loooved that show.

edit: also, regarding mad men, i don't enjoy agonisingly slow shows. shows don't need to wrap up at the end of each episode but i enjoy feeling something is actually happening.
Denny and Alan alone made that show worth watching, I loved it.

Dead Man

http://www.news.com.au/business/bus...l-jobs-retailers/story-e6frfm9r-1225981373508

AUSTRALIA'S biggest retailers will launch an advertising campaign aimed at pressuring the government to impose GST on all goods bought over the internet.

The Australian reports retailers, who will pour millions of dollars into the campaign, have warned that thousands of jobs are at risk if the Government fails to act.

Taking a leaf from the mining industry, which lobbied effectively against the resource super-profits tax, a coalition of retailers including Myer, David Jones, Harvey Norman and Target, will today begin taking out print ads in a bid to rescue the flagging sector.

Myer chief executive Bernie Brookes criticised the Government's announcement of a Productivity Commission inquiry into the taxation of online purchases as a delaying tactic and said urgent action was needed to stop jobs from being lost.

Sluggish retail sales, heavy discounting in the lead-up to the Christmas sales period and a surging Australian dollar have encouraged consumers to shop over the internet, devastating the retail sector.

In the ads, the retail coalition, which collectively employs more than 76,000 people, warns that failing to act "will see a reduction in hours and shifts for casual and part-time workers, and ultimately cost Australians jobs in retail, manufacturing, logistics and related services".

The advertisement also says that if the government does not want to impose GST on internet purchases - currently exempt from GST and import duty if less than $1000 - it should not impose it on domestic purchases.

"That means everyone is exempt from GST and duty charges for purchases less than $1000, or everyone has to pay GST and duty," the ad reads.

Mr Brookes clarified that the retailers were not calling for an end to the GST on domestic purchases but merely highlighting the inconsistency of the current tax regime.

"We just want the same rules that we have to live with -- collecting GST and duty -- to be applied whether you reside in China or Australia," he said.

Also here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...l-jobs-retailers/story-fn59niix-1225981302010

Good to see they haven't thought about increasing their online presence, or the fact they haven't thought about who will administer the GST on every purchase on Ebay.

Whoops, double post.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fuck myki. There's a recharging station at the local, so I try throw 28 days as a myki pass on the card, $155.70 but it won't let me. I don't have enough myki money for the transaction to complete. Are you fucking serious? So you need to have myki money as a backup before you can even think about adding a pass on it.

The myki site claims I have $5,10 in money left, the machine said it was around $2.94, so the system isn't even synced!

Luckily I had enough change for a metcard since you can't use notes at that machine either. Clusterfuck.

legend166

I'm actually right in the middle of watching Mad Men right now. I started about a week ago and I'm halfway through season 2.

I'm really, really liking it. It's definitely a slow burner, but to me that seems like more of a reason to watch it a lot in one sitting. I definitely don't get the 'you should watch it once per week' thing. I think I'll just wait till the DVDs come out to watch the new seasons.

It's weird for me, because judging by GAF and in the media and stuff, everyone seems to love Don Draper. I really dislike him. The guy is a complete knob. He looks good in a suit and is good at his job. That's about as far as his positive character traits go. Luckily it doesn't make the show worse if you don't look up to Draper as some sort of model man. It's still fantastic.

Spoiler for midway through season 2:

Watching Jimmy Barrett drop some truth bombs on him was awesome. He deserved it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
He doesn't remain a suave James Bond behaving how he behaves as the show goes on. He gets his, others get theirs and certain characters are redeemed in certain well earnt ways, but even up until the Season 4 finale, which really pissed me off, Draper continually proves he's a completely outdated model.

MrSerrels

hamchan

legend166 said:
It's weird for me, because judging by GAF and in the media and stuff, everyone seems to love Don Draper. I really dislike him. The guy is a complete knob. He looks good in a suit and is good at his job. That's about as far as his positive character traits go. Luckily it doesn't make the show worse if you don't look up to Draper as some sort of model man. It's still fantastic.

Everyone knows he's an asshole. He's also a suave sexy asshole who gets all the women.

Dead Man

MrSerrels said:
I do think something needs to change though. It is an unfair playing field for these guys.
Yeah, it sucks they can't buy their supplies from overseas, taking advantage of the strong dollar...

Bernbaum

Ugh, only coffee place that is open in the city near me is Merlo. Why don't I just murder myself with acid and save the $4.20.

MrSerrels

Dead Man said:
Yeah, it sucks they can't buy their supplies from overseas, taking advantage of the strong dollar...

They have to account for a tax, whereas goods bought overseas don't. I think they have a right to complain. The solution is the hard part.

Bernbaum

One imperfect solution would be for retailers like Harvey Norman to improve their online stores and scale back the brick and mortar retail space. The retailer saves cash on property leases and employing clerks and can be more competitive against existing online retailers.

Of course, the big downside is that you cut a large number of jobs. You also shortchange people in regional areas and luddites who are averse to shopping online. Cheaper prices don’t necessarily win back local customers either – Joe Bloggs can access an overseas website just as easily as he can dse.com.au, and the purchasing interface is roughly the same across all online retailers, so ignoring shipping time and freight costs, Mr Bloggs will more often than not seek out the cheapest price.

As Serrels says, there doesn’t seem to be an easy fix although it is mildly entertaining to see these big corporate bodies prattle on about a free market economy and then whinge for government intervention when things don’t go their way.

At the end of the day, I’m a consumer and I want to save money buying my toys.

Danoss

Hearing some stuff from smaller retailers, the problem lies with the importers/distributors. Some have exorbitant prices and know retailers can't go elsewhere, therefore holding them and consumers to ransom.

One other point that I have heard is higher cost of items may be the effect of GST being charged at every point along the chain before it even gets to the store shelves. Charging GST at the point of sale in-store only may bring prices down and allow retailers to be more competitive.

Instead of trying to fix either of the problems above (assuming either or both are correct), they just want to apply more taxes. So we pay 10% more to import stuff when it's already 50% cheaper a lot of the time. That's not going to deter anybody and the only thing it does is add more tax revenue. Retailers see nothing of that, so they still suffer.

For example, a friend was looking at purchasing a couple of speakers. The overseas cost was $240, domestic was $849. According to retailers, him paying $24 GST to import those speakers should deter him from a $585 saving; right, if you say so.

Slightly less extreme, I'm about to buy a new DAC and headphone amp from Germany. They are $1240 including shipping. Buying locally, they are $1648. Even $124 GST on that item isn't going to stop me from going through with a saving of $284. That saving just got me a new keyboard and mouse, which I did buy locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom