• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

47792_494094068101_702288101_7181016_4416172_n.jpg

Nom nom.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
happy bday legend

So i saw on a friends fb, $420 return flights to japan.

i've been sitting here all morning waiting for her to wake up ;_; i couldnt find anything on the internet myself, but must know as i'm so fucking keen to go back

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
evlcookie said:
Did you watch SC2 last night syth?

Happy bday legend

fucking fuck

i paid the $1.95 for the HQ stream, and then had a blackout all night

i've emailed GOM to see if they can give me another day, if not i'm not too fussed, but just watched the opening ceremony and just about to watch the idra matches now :D

Ydahs

legend166 said:
I couldn't be bothered finding the cropped image or cropping it myself so I'll just post this:

PBF032-Todays_My_Birthday.gif
Happy b'day. Mine's in five days (10th)!

Hope the Swannies can get up for you.

markot

Banned
Happy Bday!

And you know what still irks me >.<?

How much they chop out of the simpsons for the local episodes. They cut out alot of the 'riskier' jokes... and when you see em on dvd in their full glory... its just crazy.

I remember the 'bad influence my butt' line from bart in that episode when him and milhouse stop being friends. They just cut it out, and really jarringly too so it was so obvious it was missing >.>

Ydahs

markot said:
Happy Bday!

And you know what still irks me >.<?

How much they chop out of the simpsons for the local episodes. They cut out alot of the 'riskier' jokes... and when you see em on dvd in their full glory... its just crazy.

I remember the 'bad influence my butt' line from bart in that episode when him and milhouse stop being friends. They just cut it out, and really jarringly too so it was so obvious it was missing >.>
Is it just Channel Ten or Fox 8 too? Never knew Simpsons was partially censored in Australia.

markot

Banned
Ive only watched the ten ones >.<

Its just really weird watching the DVDs and seeing the bits that they cut out, especially for the first time...

Mar

Agyar said:
You know if we used IRC I could join from work on my internet phone. Just saying.

I think at this point I'd also be willing to do IRC. Steam chat is just not usable by comparison.

Agyar

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just realised that I'd put my billing info into iTunes when I bought my phone.

What apps do you guys recommend?

I could send you a whole list, have you got anything yet?

Agyar

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just a Japanese phrasebook, a movie session times app and a currency converter.
Pocket Weather or Oz Weather for BoM powered weather forecasts.
ShopShop is a great free shopping list.
Evernote for note taking and syncing with your computer and the web.
Convertbot for all conversions, including currency.
Calcbot is a great replacement for the standard calculator if you use it a lot.
Twitter, Facebook if you use them.
Meebo is the best free IM app, supports push and lots of protocols.
Colloquy for IRC when AusGAF sees the light.
Quota for ISP/phone quota info.Just checked out Consume, which appears to be a similarly featured app with a great interface and free. Quota displays more info, including sessions/IPs/graphical views of usage over time but if you just want your quota info for free, Consume seems really good.
EBay for eBay.
Terminology for a dictionary.
Wikipanion for Wikipedia, though I feel there may be better solutions now.
Shazan for identifying music.
Remember The Milk for a to do list, but there's lots of good options in this category depending on your needs.

Photography is tricky as I'm only trying apps out myself now but Autostitch is cool for making panoramas.

Edit: On the subject of iPhones, Telstra's NextG is fantastic. The speed at which things load and update and the complete lack of any dropouts, lag spikes or indoor signal loss makes the iPhone feel so fresh again.

55381819.png

Compared to a recent(ish) speed test I did while on Virgin (Optus Network) on my iPhone 3G, in the same location (my desk at work):

49080786.png

Mar

Agyar said:
On the subject of iPhones, Telstra's NextG is fantastic. The speed at which things load and update and the complete lack of any dropouts, lag spikes or indoor signal loss makes the iPhone feel so fresh again.

55381819.png

Compared to a recent(ish) speed test I did while on Virgin (Optus Network) on my iPhone 3G, in the same location (my desk at work):

49080786.png

I often wonder if half my frustrations with my iPhone are more to do with Optus than the phone itself...

Agyar

Mar said:
I often wonder if half my frustrations with my iPhone are more to do with Optus than the phone itself...

A lot of the flakiness I thought was just part and parcel of 3G internet seems to have been an entirely indepedent to Optus. Not once have I had the 3G connection drop to 2G/GPRS/Edge/whatever, even inside buildings and never has the connection lagged or dropped out. On Optus, I constantly had an issue where the 3G connection would drop out but the phone still showed 3G signal and I would have to "restart" the connection by switching Airplane mode on and off to make it work again.

Edit: You can get the speedtest.net images by going to Results in the iPhone app, selecting the test result then emailing the result via the "export" button on the top right.

giri

Mar said:

I used to be the biggest advocate for staying as far away from telstra as possible (3gig cap and all that prejudiced me for a long time). Have never had a mobile phone with them yet. But when looking at better coverage for the people at work, i tested a phone on Telstra. And good lord, their network coverage is just far superior, so much so that it seems silly to not go with them. In places where i was getting no reception with optus/3 with telstra, full 3g speeds.

I hate to say it, but i'm seriously looking at switching too (and getting a HTC Desire!).

Fredescu

giri said:
I hate to say it, but i'm seriously looking at switching too (and getting a HTC Desire!).
I have a Desire on Telstra. I've never had an internetish phone on another network, but I have no complaints about coverage so far. I can browse the web pretty well uninterrupted on my hour long train trip.

giri

Fredescu said:
I have a Desire on Telstra. I've never had an internetish phone on another network, but I have no complaints about coverage so far. I can browse the web pretty well uninterrupted on my hour long train trip.

Yeah, we've got 2 of them on Telstra now at work, and the coverage is just faultless. I requisitioned one the other weekend. So jealous of the network coverage.

Mar

giri said:

If my phone and the bills associated weren't paid for by my work, I'd do exactly that myself. The Desire looks great and actual 3G coverage would be nice.

Choc

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
If plain packaging wont stop anyone from smoking then why would they lose any business?

Quote of the century

If people still smoke and buy the cig's how are they losing money and why on earth do they care what colour it is

They should be ashamed for selling something which kills people in the first place....

guessing those tobacco executives have had just a bit to much kool aid recently

Nemesis_

Choc said:
Quote of the century

If people still smoke and buy the cig's how are they losing money and why on earth do they care what colour it is

They should be ashamed for selling something which kills people in the first place....

guessing those tobacco executives have had just a bit to much kool aid recently

I'm pretty sure that they are a bit more concerned about people starting to smoke.

That being said I still think it's pretty pointless

Kritz

Banned
Has anyone had Mafia II arrive yet, for those who ordered it through Zavvi?

Also Mar, planned to write up a draft of my Lost and Damned review today but probably won't get around to it until tonight if that. Still at work-training, which has given me lots of free time... but not enough coffee.

Agyar said:
Pocket Weather or Oz Weather for BoM powered weather forecasts.
ShopShop is a great free shopping list.
Evernote for note taking and syncing with your computer and the web.
Convertbot for all conversions, including currency.
Calcbot is a great replacement for the standard calculator if you use it a lot.
Twitter, Facebook if you use them.
Meebo is the best free IM app, supports push and lots of protocols.
Colloquy for IRC when AusGAF sees the light.
Quota for ISP/phone quota info.Just checked out Consume, which appears to be a similarly featured app with a great interface and free. Quota displays more info, including sessions/IPs/graphical views of usage over time but if you just want your quota info for free, Consume seems really good.
EBay for eBay.
Terminology for a dictionary.
Wikipanion for Wikipedia, though I feel there may be better solutions now.
Shazan for identifying music.
Remember The Milk for a to do list, but there's lots of good options in this category depending on your needs.

Photography is tricky as I'm only trying apps out myself now but Autostitch is cool for making panoramas.
Many thanks, I'll try these out tonight :)

Choc said:
The metroid voice acting and story/cut scenes is completely what the fuck

its like Samus is on LSD
If you post spoilers, I'll cut you, Choc. I swear I will.

Fredescu

Kritz said:
Has anyone had Mafia II arrive yet, for those who ordered it through Zavvi?
Not yet :(

The email says to contact them if it hasn't arrived in ten working days, and I guess it's only been eight so far. I guess I will have to wait.

Did you get your CPU sorted by the way?

Kritz

Banned
Fredescu said:
Not yet :(

The email says to contact them if it hasn't arrived in ten working days, and I guess it's only been eight so far. I guess I will have to wait.

Did you get your CPU sorted by the way?

HOLY DOUBLE POST BATMAN

CPU is sorted. Runs GTA4 on high everything (sans draw distance) at around 30-60fps. It jumps between the two a lot, but it's not very noticeable.

And it runs at around 45 degrees which seems to be good enough.

Choc

Banned
i won't post spoilers :)

Sony won its modchip case, big time.

The dudes that run ozmodchip are now under a court order that anything they import must first be delivered to an address in Melbourne to check that it has no psjailbreaks

:|

Mar

Kritz said:
Also Mar, planned to write up a draft of my Lost and Damned review today but probably won't get around to it until tonight if that. Still at work-training, which has given me lots of free time... but not enough coffee.

No wuckas dude.

I have just bought and downloaded Mirror's Edge and Monster Dash for the iPhone, both of which were developed by Aussie developers. These will be my next reviews.

Edit: And appstore reviews are rivaling youtube comments as the absolute lowest form of humanity. Although this one is more hilarious than anything else:

mirrorsedgeiphone.png

Kritz

Banned
5/5 stars - kritz.net ?

Also if you can think of any PC games made by an Aussie studio I could try and play through those. I prefer PC games because I can actually capture it.

Choc

Banned
The Creed was made by Aussies

first video game to you see you next tuesday as well

also

what mar? Mirrors Edge is on iphone now? isn't it exclusive to ipad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom