• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

Choc said:
first video game to you see you next tuesday as well

I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask for an english translation on this one.

what mar? Mirrors Edge is on iphone now? isn't it exclusive to ipad?

Released on iPhone just recently. Developed by IronMonkey Studios.

Agyar

Choc said:
what mar? Mirrors Edge is on iphone now? isn't it exclusive to ipad?

Just got released on iPhone. I played it a little on the weekend, very cool. Mirror's Edge fits into the run-across-the-screen-and-dodge-shit/Canabalt like a glove, even if the perspective is completely different from the original title. The art style really pops on the Iphone 4's retina display and the controls are brilliant. It would have been a real shame to mar the visuals with on-screen buttons and I'm glad for every developer who finds a way to deal with the iPhone without taking that route.

Edit: Facebook connect seems to be the only option for leaderboards though, which is not my most preferred method of handling that sort of thing. Also, unlike the original title, the route through levels seem fairly linear, with minimal opportunity given to create shortcuts, which would probably make the leader board challenges fairly boring.

Choc

Banned
no see you next tuesday is c..t :)

im not calling you a c..t :D

so it was the first video game ever to have that word

Fredescu

Even with that knowledge, the original sentence doesn't parse. I'm guessing you mean it was the first game to use that word.

Mar

Choc said:
no see you next tuesday is c..t :)

im not calling you a c..t :D

so it was the first video game ever to have that word

Ahh, ok, now I see where you're going.

For a while there I thought you were going to send me the game and meet me in a week. Confusion ensued.

Shaneus

Kritz said:
5/5 stars - kritz.net ?

Also if you can think of any PC games made by an Aussie studio I could try and play through those. I prefer PC games because I can actually capture it.
Powerslide. I think I have my copy of that around somewhere, but doubt if it'll work on anything above Windows 98 :(

Man, that was a fucking beautiful looking game... and ran amazingly on even the lowest-spec machines. RIP Ratbag.

Mar

Shaneus said:
Powerslide. I think I have my copy of that around somewhere, but doubt if it'll work on anything above Windows 98 :(

Man, that was a fucking beautiful looking game... and ran amazingly on even the lowest-spec machines. RIP Ratbag.

Friend of mine worked on that. If I remember correctly it was his very first project.

I never played it though.

giri

Choc said:
Poor ratbag :(

Your avatar no workie

And yeah, power slide was awesome. Some very good AU games out around back then iirc. Wasn't that long after Dark Reign i think.

Shaneus

Did a quick google and someone on Whirlpool mentioned that it would be a perfect PSN/XBLA title... and they're right. Doubt it would be too difficult to port to either of those systems (or even Steam for that matter). Put that shit up for 400msp/$5US and watch it fly out the door (especially if some multiplayer was included).

Clipper

Choc said:
Sony won its modchip case, big time.

The dudes that run ozmodchip are now under a court order that anything they import must first be delivered to an address in Melbourne to check that it has no psjailbreaks

:|
Does this mean they are still allowed to sell Wii modchips and so on? Sounds like it from your summary. In which case...

Are you listening Nintendo? If you make your next hardware region free, then you can fight modchips really easily in Australia. Otherwise, they're legal for people to install (but not to use, but how will you find that out). You'll also have less people trying to make modchips and homebrew. Please... just free the 3DS.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Clipper said:
Are you listening Nintendo? If you make your next hardware region free, then you can fight modchips really easily in Australia. Otherwise, they're legal for people to install (but not to use, but how will you find that out). You'll also have less people trying to make modchips and homebrew. Please... just free the 3DS.

+1

CryptiK

Clipper said:
Does this mean they are still allowed to sell Wii modchips and so on? Sounds like it from your summary. In which case...

They are just not allowed to sell THAT BRAND of mod chip plus you can make your own modchip/dongle now so who cares.(Yes back up manager was patched into Groove)

Just off the top of my head (and I'm not registering and adding myself, so sorry)
the following doesn't seem to be on PC section of Gamecrux

Bioshock, Bioshock 2 Freedom Force, etc from Irrational/2kGames in Canberra

Extremely Goofy Skateboarding, Barbie Beach Vacation, Barbie's Sparkling Ice Show, Clone Wars: Republic Heroes, Blade Kitten (in two weeks) by Krome

Dark Reign, Trainz, Fury etc by Auran

other games I can't see:
also Krome's Jimmy Neutron:Jet Fusion for PS2 and Cube. And THQ Brisbane did Jimmy Neutron Attack of the Twonkies

wasn't there a Jurassic Park game by guys in Melbourne? Also Melbourne Cup and AFL games
Heroes Over the XXX games by IR Gurus/ Transmission

Fuzzy Eyes' Hot Dogs Hot Gals (not sure of the exact title) was PC i Think

Halloween Harry and Flight of the Amazon Queen by Interactive Binary Illusions, Zombie Wars and Mike Stewart Pro Bodyboarding by Gee Whiz

and Evolution in Brisbane did Rocket Power- Beach Bandits

Army Men RTS, Destroy all Humans 1 and 2 by Pandemic Brisbane

edits
De blob and Polar Express by Blue Tongue

also Legend of Guardians: The Owls of Gazunta by Krome and Tantalus

and that's before we start on iPhone/ mobile games

don't know how many gaps can by filled by also going to Tsumea's wiki

Omikron

Probably been said 1000 times, but really pissed off at 2k's pricing on steam.

WTF we pay $80US for games compared to the overseas pricing is beyond me.

Anyone know if Civ 5 is steam enabled if I buy box copy ? :D

markot

Banned
Omi said:
Probably been said 1000 times, but really pissed off at 2k's pricing on steam.

WTF we pay $80US for games compared to the overseas pricing is beyond me.

Anyone know if Civ 5 is steam enabled if I buy box copy ? :D
Yeah, it uses Steamworks.

Mar

ClivePwned said:
Just off the top of my head

Thanks for that info. There's a huge amount of content to get into that wiki. I need to sit down for a good couple of days and fill it...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
speedpop said:
I assume this just went up earlier today. Internode announcing 1TB plan, as well as fiddling around with 100gb, 200gb and 300gb. Bundled prices are only shown, unbundled prices will go up next week when the service goes live.

http://www.internode.on.net/news/2010/09/195.php

Don't know how i feel about Internode including uploads in their caps now.. :(

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8VuAhnKA0&feature=player_embedded# Harry O from collingwoods family band. lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Syth_Blade22 said:
Don't know how i feel about Internode including uploads in their caps now.. :(
Yeah, only reason why they'd go 1TB at that price. Think I'll stick to the current plan.

Agyar

speedpop said:
Yeah, only reason why they'd go 1TB at that price. Think I'll stick to the current plan.

They still offer their download-only "Extreme" plans, so at least that's something. You can't sign up for a new plan with iiNet that doesn't include uploads, so the options are becoming more limited.

giri

Agyar said:
They still offer their download-only "Extreme" plans, so at least that's something. You can't sign up for a new plan with iiNet that doesn't include uploads, so the options are becoming more limited.

I don't see much of a problem though. The previous largest plan was something like 200/200? from iinet that is. They've more than doubled that, so unless you were hosting a series of servers it's hard to see how you wouldn't benefit atleast a little by the new plans.

Choc

Banned
Bioshock 2 is not Australian

Bioshock Infinite, is, some if it anyway.

Bioshock was yes, in fact the entire idea came from Canberra :)

I am going to drink booze and play Duke Nukem Forever at 2K sometime soonish woo :D

Shaneus

Dead Space is (at least partly) Australian, too.

Mar: created an account on the wiki but it won't let me create anything that comes to mind (developers, games). Unless I'm doing it wrong, I think I need permissions?

Mar

Shaneus said:
Mar: created an account on the wiki but it won't let me create anything that comes to mind (developers, games). Unless I'm doing it wrong, I think I need permissions?

Really? Tha's a bit weird. The developers page is protected, as is the alphabetical list of games. Try going to a particular game then hit the edit tab, this is how you create new games. In edit mode, go up to the URL in your browser and change the name of the game to the one you want to create, then hit enter. It will create that page for you and you can edit and save that one, creating the new game.

Does that make sense? It's a bit wacky.. Wish wiki editing was easier.

Edit: F'rinstance:

wikiedit.png

Pressing enter after changing that 720 Degrees to LOL GAME will create a page called LOL GAME which will be blank. You then make changes and hit save to make the page 'real'.

Agyar

trinest said:
Apparently we will know who is going to rule us today or something.
This whole political situation has only managed to further my disenchantment with our government.

Mar

Actually there is a bit of an easier way.

wikiedit2.png

Click on a game and instead of hitting edit, just type over the name of the game in the URL. It will say the page doesn't exist, but then just click on 'edit this page' and that works as well.

I'm a liberal voter so I'm still holding on to some small chance of Abbott winning... though I'm not confident in the slightest. Plus it's a bit of a Giant Douche/Turd Sandwich situation so either way we're probably fucked.

Also, started playing Dead Rising last night in anticipation of DR2, and it made me realise how much I have "grown up" (if that is the right way to put it) since I first played that game.

I remember how awesome I thought killing zombies in new and inventive ways was, but I was put off by the time limit and the feeling that I was missing out on stuff by just trying to do the main story.

After playing for an hour or two last night I realise that I was "doing it wrong" and that the best way to play that game is to just chill the fuck out and have fun, take your time and accept that there is pretty much no way to do everything on one play through.

Also, finished Mafia 2. Not a massive fan of the ending but a pretty decent game overall.

trinest

evlcookie said:
Shhh Don't talk about the government. You might set Fred off into a choc style rage
But...but...but......Government. Ha.

Maybe if we don't talk about it- it wont exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom