• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Mar said:
Yeah, pom comes from the abbreviation pome (which was how people use to say it, "pommy"). It stands for Prisoner of Mother England. In other words, an englishman who committed a crime and sent to Australia.
That sounds like a backronym to me. I agree that poms are strictly English and not the other UK folk.

Mar

Fredescu said:
That sounds like a backronym to me. I agree that poms are strictly English and not the other UK folk.

Ahh, that's what I meant. I was too busy shoving food into my face to realise what I was saying.

Mar

whoposted.png

I don't like this picture GAF. You know what to do.

Tntnnbltn

Clipper said:
Meh. You aren't even twice your nearest rival. Me, on the other hand, in my main thread...
scary.png

Help me stop helping you, GAF!
Meh. You aren't even 3.1x your nearest rival. Me, on the other hand, in my main thread...

FFWp9.png

Edit: Actually, I dug up some old posts of mine from July 2009... Quoting for chart glory...

Speaking of..... I had some free time earlier tonight.

• Thread Domination Index: Which threads are dominated by a particular user?
  • Poster Exposure Index: Similar to the TDI, but takes into account the popularity of the thread (by views and total number of replies). Threads which are extremely popular are weighted more favourably.

I believe that if users listed in the above charts disappeared, their absence would definitely be noted by followers of those threads. Of course this doesn't describe general notability, only those posters who dominate the discussion in particular subcommunitys. It's also only applied on a single thread basis, so wouldn't include the combined influence of things like Kassatsu's weekly PSN threads.

The Poster Exposure Index isn't comparable between Gaming-Age and Off-Topic charts. Partly because I had to modify the weighting so that the humongous football thread didn't throw everything out, and partly because it's an abstract measure anyway.

(Yep, almost 40% of the entire cricket thread is Grug and tri_willy talking to each other. :p)

Megadrive said:
You post THREADS a lot. :p
Only because GAF never examines the questions *I* want to talk about without my help (you'll notice all my threads are made around lunchtime - I get bored sometimes)

But yeah, creating threads is a bit weird. You feel responsible for moving the conversation along but at the same time you don't want to totally dominate the discussion, so at the beginning I reply a lot to keep the thread visible, but cool off as it takes off or flounders so you can observe it's majestic flight or it's failure.

rass

BanShunsaku said:
You see ads on GAF on your iphone? You should use the neoGAF secondapps thingo... works like a charm.

http://www.secondapps.com/neogaf
nah not gaf, I can't be bothered browsing the web on my iPhone -- in 'words with friends'
I haven't bought it yet and the free version has a full screen ad after every move. About 40% of them are for the Galaxy

Agyar

giri said:
If it blocks ad revenue from Gaf, and you're known for using it, it may just get your account banned.

That mobile site has been officially blessed. I believe some steps have been taken to prevent it from being accessed via desktop browsers to address the advertising concern though.

It's also fantastic, I use it every day.

Kritz

Banned
Ad blocking stuff is tricky. While I hate ads, I love GAF. So I add this site (and Giantbomb) to my whitelist. I don't make that same exception for other sites, because they don't have the same standard of non-annoying ads.

Most of the times the ads aren't relevant to anything, anyway. Prevent forest fires, download google chrome, shop at dick smith, people in third world countries need food.

I wonder what the ad will change to now I've made this post?

Edit: metriod other M! :D

Agyar

Kritz said:
Ad blocking stuff is tricky. While I hate ads, I love GAF. So I add this site (and Giantbomb) to my whitelist. I don't make that same exception for other sites, because they don't have the same standard of non-annoying ads.

Most of the times the ads aren't relevant to anything, anyway. Prevent forest fires, download google chrome, shop at dick smith, people in third world countries need food.

I wonder what the ad will change to now I've made this post?

Edit: metriod other M! :D

I see GAF ads at work and AusGAF basically just gives me Virgin Samsung Galaxy S ads. Too late jerks, I already ported from Virgin and got an iPhone 4.

Edit: "Close eyes and draw a Platypus" thread returns online dating ads. Seems fitting.

Agyar

evlcookie said:
:O :O :O :O :O :O

Has anyone ordered from threadless? Who do they use for shipping, do you need to sign for it and how long does it usually take?

I bought some stuff from them a couple of years ago. I don't know who they use for shipping but via post in a bag, fairly quickly from memory. Usually the tshirts are folded small enough to fit through a moderately-sized mail slot as well. No signature required.

rass

evlcookie said:
T-Shirt ordered. USD$18 total, so pretty much $20.

Let's hope it turns up :D
haha it'll show up eventually
Did you order the tshirt I posted or something different? If it's the one I posted then… sorry for spending your money :lol

Fredescu

So all those ISP guys don't want the NBN for whatever reason. The head of Exetel said this:

"By the end of 2011, wireless broadband will be faster, cheaper and more ubiquitous in Australia than Telstra's own ADSL2 network, which is three times larger than any of its competitors"

What the fuck? Could he possibly be right? Sounds like fantasy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom