• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Clipper said:
You can still get the plushie from an EU store? I thought it was a pre-order bonus only...
Looks like it is the huge box on the sites I've been looking at. Or was the plushie separate from the box?

Edit: No, looks like you are correct. Dodgy bastards using the big box for a picture. When I looked at the contents, no plushie. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit2: Fuck preoder content, fuck it all to hell!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
cookie, you still want Ep 1? What's your username?

Still trying to copy over my steamapps folder. Shouldn't be long now.

Not sure if ep1 will work, i assume it might? But if i have to actually download and install it before i can get into chat then eh. I did register for free HL2 DM and lost coast with my ati card, maybe when my 300GB has finished being moved i can see if that works.

Otherwise yea it's going to be your ep1 if you want to part with it or i will buy magnets for $2!

My ID is evlc00kie if you want to try it

Kritz

Banned
So I've been bored lately, and as most of you know, when I get bored I come up with bad ideas. This week's bad Idea is that I'm going to set up an Internet-tabletop game campaign of Dark Heresy, the warhammer 40k game. I've never dm'd before, so it'll take some learning on my part, and patience on anyone who dares play, but it might be dome fun.

Currently orbi and aon seem interested enough. Not everyone is in steam chat however, so I thought I'd advertise to the rest of you jerks.

Will be playing via "openRPG", organizing in steam chat.

Expect the worst!

(typed from my phone, hence shitty post)

remz

Kritz said:
So I've been bored lately, and as most of you know, when I get bored I come up with bad ideas. This week's bad Idea is that I'm going to set up an Internet-tabletop game campaign of Dark Heresy, the warhammer 40k game. I've never dm'd before, so it'll take some learning on my part, and patience on anyone who dares play, but it might be dome fun.

Currently orbi and aon seem interested enough. Not everyone is in steam chat however, so I thought I'd advertise to the rest of you jerks.

Expect the worst!
i want to try this haha. count me in.

Kritz

Banned
remz said:
i want to try this haha. count me in.

yeah just join steam chat tomorrow and we'll see what will happen.

Please note it will be probably terrible as I've only read half of the 400 page rulebook for it and still don't have a full understanding of the actual mechanics, let alone the lore and all the different abilities and checks and shit that happen. I barely understand how combat against enemies works, let alone how to balance it for a party.

I have a sweet plot worked out, where the party is tasked on killing a former Acolyte who has vital information that your Inquisitor doesn't want getting out. Problem is, he's been captured by a bunch of biker gang slavers on some god forsaken desert planet. ADVENTURE, HO!

Also I barely understand how Open RPG works so... that'll be a thing.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Thanks to legend for the free ep1. That at least gets me into steam chat :D

So with NAB letting me down over the past month i think it's time to move banks. Anyone have any suggestions? I got told to check out comm as usual and maybe westpac.

I'm just looking for good and bad stories from any ausgaffers regarding banks. It's still going to take a while for me to get the rest of my money back and hopefully steam fixed so i'm all ears to any stories.

Kritz

Banned
I've been using comm... since, well, forever. Never had any trouble. Granted, I've never actually... done anything in depth with the bank to cause trouble. I just put my money into them and collect interest on it and have started learning about all this crazy FIXED TERM DEPOSIT shit that I thought only existed in mathematics class.

Also, in regards to Dark Heresy, I think I'm going to do the book's campaign first. It deals with a lot of the mechanics I want to learn and besides my occasional game as a player in DH, and Aon played a bit when he was younger too, I think most of us are fresh into this game.

I can tell you that from my player experience the game gets to be really super fun, especially when you do a campaign over a series of months and watch as your character evolves and then gets killed because he accidentally alerted an entire prison camp's worth of tech priests and with all the ability of a two year old shot and mortally wounded the party's only member capable of actually healing people.

Danoss

I can only really comment on CommBank as that's all I have used. Their NetBank facility is pretty damn decent, which I do use a lot and the odd times when I have received a call from them or needed to call them have been pain-free.

All I can say for Westpac/St. George is that they're great it if you use a lot of ATMs since they share them.

Kritz said:

Expect the worst!

(typed from my phone, hence shitty post)

I said I was down too.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If you have a DS and expendable income, stop what you're doing right now and import Ghost Trick.

Bernbaum

Done.

Shall be the second last game I'll play on the DS; last being Okamiden. That is, of course, if Layton 4 ends up on the 3DS when it gets westernized.

Thank you, Nintendo DS, for hundreds of hours of happiness.

Clipper

Amazon also has a 3-for-2 offer that includes Ghost Trick right now for those undecided (it's how I'm getting it). I also picked up 999, but that's unfortunately not part of the offer.

evlcookie said:

So with NAB letting me down over the past month i think it's time to move banks. Anyone have any suggestions? I got told to check out comm as usual and maybe westpac.

I'm just looking for good and bad stories from any ausgaffers regarding banks. It's still going to take a while for me to get the rest of my money back and hopefully steam fixed so i'm all ears to any stories.
Ugh, I'm so glad I dropped Comm bank to the curb years ago. Monthly fees because I wasn't a student any more? No thanks.

I now use a pair of HSBC accounts. One Online Savings Account for my daily accessible income and a Serious Saver for a term deposit-like system that still gives you access to your money at any time (5-6% interest, but you don't get any interest for a month if you make a withdrawal). You can use Westpac and St. George ATMs and have unlimited EftPOS withdrawals with the Online Savings Account too. No fees unless you need to go to a teller (i.e., the 'online' part). I also use another savings-type account at Bankwest for interest generation.

Don't bother with the major Aussie banks. You'll probably get screwed whichever you choose.

Agyar

evlcookie said:

I switched from CBA to BankWest about couple of years ago and have been happy with their products. I haven't had any major dramas so tue customer service I've received has been fine and they've been good with product upgrades and promotions.

The transaction account I have with them allows me to use BWA, CBA, Westpac, NAB and ANZ ATMs without fees and has no monthly account keeping fees if you deposit $2k per month. I also have a fee-free credit card and a pair of online savings accounts. One account earns a base rate per month and the second earns a bonus rate if you make no withdrawals in a month (otherwise it just earns the base rate, so it's still better than a lot of competing products that offer 0% after withdrawals).

Kritz

Banned
alright, may or may not be able to game tonight simply because me, aon and clipper have been doing some test rounds to get us up to speed on the mechanics, which has taken us about five hours to do. >_>

In the mean time, anyone who wants to play can make their character with this:
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dhadvanced.html

You might not know what any of that shit means, so we can explain later and fix up any crazy combos you come up with. It'll just make it way less time consuming. :D

Read a dark heresy wiki for basic info on shit. Or if you have the guide yourself you can read through it.

Might try and play either later tonight or tomorrow or some other time. Note that the game will take forever and will have to be split into multiple sessions anyway. I'm going to be pretty loose on rules etc mostly because I don't know them, so I don't see much problem with characters randomly dropping or appearing during the campaign. :D

Gazunta

Man. I've had a productive day. Started drawing up plans for my first comic convention appearance. Designed a T-Shirt. Checked the shipping status of my first comic collection. Made a downloadable PDF version of said collection. Set up all the technical googadgetry to let people buy all the books using the INTERNETS. Halfway through writing a blog. Damn, feels good to get stuff done.

Oh and I finally took House of the Dead Overkill out of the box for the first time today. Hooked up the guns, they feel nice. Started the game. It swore at me for a few minutes and then let me play. About five minutes later I realised I didn't want to play House of the Dead, like, ever, so boxed it all up again and it'll probably just gather dust forever and ever.

There's a cheesy thriller on Go atm called See No Evil that was shot at Melbourne Uni. It's hilarious the efforts that they're going to to pass it off as being in the US.

The extras are all silent lmao

Guys I ended up going to a shitty party last night in the middle of nowhere and I passed out in my car. I'm 20 and on my green Ps so I can't even leave because it's likely I still have alcohol in my system. Anyone want to come get me and I'll shout breakfast? Thanks in advance. I'm in Garfield, Vic. See you soon.

Kritz

Banned
Last night me, aon and clipper played some Dark Heresy. It was fun. Also, I never want to be GM again. At least until I know the rules a bit better.

I'm gonna see how possible a game is tonight, with Aon as GM. Most people who want to play have already genned a character, and after our first game last night we kinda understand the ruleset a lot better.

I expect Aon and Clipper will be genning new characters though, as they did kinda all die. Although by the end of the allyway battle I did the RP version of throw up the table by surrounding clipper with miniatures and having them all fire on him at once.

So, yeah, it was fun. Pretty darn fun.

Ydahs

toasty_T said:
There's a cheesy thriller on Go atm called See No Evil that was shot at Melbourne Uni. It's hilarious the efforts that they're going to to pass it off as being in the US.

The extras are all silent lmao
Is that the one with Kane (WWE wrestler)? If so, are you sure it's shot in Melbourne? Never knew that...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Shopping in the 'normal clothes' section of shops is weird.... get stares >_>

Neverender said:
Guys I ended up going to a shitty party last night in the middle of nowhere and I passed out in my car. I'm 20 and on my green Ps so I can't even leave because it's likely I still have alcohol in my system. Anyone want to come get me and I'll shout breakfast? Thanks in advance. I'm in Garfield, Vic. See you soon.
Get a taxi.

LOL

legend166

Here's a picture of the guy:

corporal-ben-roberts-smith-victoria-cross-winner.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/23/3119203.htm

Stackboy

Wow, nice to hear about a true hero.

Just finished Band of Brothers last night too, those guys were amazing.

Any suggestions about what tv show I should start next?

Omikron

Stackboy said:

Don't watch 'The Pacific'.... it is such a disappointment by comparison. They needed to focus more on 1 unit and/or person instead of the disjointed mess that it is.

legend166

Stackboy said:

Always good to see people getting into Band of Brothers. I've seen it probably 8 or 9 time now. It's becoming an annual event. I'm even reading through the book now too. Makes Sobel into an even bigger knob.

Major Winters died a couple weeks ago :(

Omikron

legend166 said:
Always good to see people getting into Band of Brothers. I've seen it probably 8 or 9 time now. It's becoming an annual event. I'm even reading through the book now too. Makes Sobel into an even bigger knob.

Major Winters died a couple weeks ago :(

Oh didn't know he had died :(

Need to grab a copy of his memoirs at some point and give them a read.

legend166

Omi said:
Oh didn't know he had died :(

Need to grab a copy of his memoirs at some point and give them a read.

After he died I was tossing up whether to get the BoB book or his memoirs to read. I read a review of his memoirs that said he was too humble to write interesting memoirs, so I went with the Band of Brothers book, haha.

Cohsae

If you liked Band of Brothers then check out Generation Kill.
Also there's a documentary called Restrepo that's worth a watch as well.

Kritz

Banned
jambo said:
Have you watched The Pacific next? It's the next logical step imo

It's also way worse than Band of Brothers and instead of focusing on a single group of troops, jumps around main characters whose only defining characteristic is the camera is pointed as them more than the other guys. Well, up until a battle takes place where it might as well be showing shots of germany's invasion of poland for all it matters for your attachment to the characters that constantly, all the time, die.

Watch Generation Kill instead. Edit: fucking you ^ fuck what

Cohsae said:
If you liked Band of Brothers then check out Generation Kill.

This is currently airing on abc2 again. Episode 2 is on tonight and Episode 1 is on iView.
I watched Episode 1 and haven't really got into yet. It was interesting seeing the guy from The Wire and the guy from True Blood though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom