• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydahs

I bought the bluray set of Band of Brothers and watched the first four (or five) episodes. So far it's been battle, battle and more battle. The first episode was by far the best mainly because it built the story and characters perfectly but the few episodes following felt a bit disappointing in comparison.

Does this change later on or will it still be heavily focused on battle scenes? Stopped watching it during exam times and never picked it back up. Will do soon.

Omikron

legend166 said:
After he died I was tossing up whether to get the BoB book or his memoirs to read. I read a review of his memoirs that said he was too humble to write interesting memoirs, so I went with the Band of Brothers book, haha.

Ahh that would make sense.

I am waiting on a book delivery atm, one of them being: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0425217280/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Might be ok, might be rubbish, but was after a more first hand perspective other than the Ambrose book.

Danoss

Another massive fan of Band of Brothers here, seen it many times also. I have the book but am yet to read it (I've flicked few a few pages and it looks great).

I haven't watched The Pacific in its entirety yet as I also find it hard to latch on to any of the characters. It doesn't help that they based it off two books instead of a single narrative like they did with Band of Brothers. One of the books it was based off was "With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge" (available on Kindle for $5) which I have bought and skimmed a few pages of, it looks good and came highly recommended. Robert Leckie has written a number of books also, of which they plucked "Helmet for My Pillow: From Parris Island to the Pacific". I hear Eugene Sledge's book is the better of the two and Amazon's reviews reflect that (take from that what you will).

Ydahs said:
I bought the bluray set of Band of Brothers and watched the first four (or five) episodes. So far it's been battle, battle and more battle. The first episode was by far the best mainly because it built the story and characters perfectly but the few episodes following felt a bit disappointing in comparison.

Does this change later on or will it still be heavily focused on battle scenes? Stopped watching it during exam times and never picked it back up. Will do soon.
That will change quickly. At this stage, I already had a connection to some of the characters in the story. Very shortly, that turns into something far stronger and very moving. It is my favourite mini-series of all time and by far the best war anything ever made; stick with it, you won't regret it.

Omi said:
I am waiting on a book delivery atm, one of them being: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0425217280/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Gonorrhea! Much respect for this guy.

The Storyteller said:
watch the wire if you haven't also
I watched the first few episodes of The Wire and found it incredibly dull (I can't stand procedurals any more and it felt very much like one). Does it actually get interesting?

Cohsae

codswallop said:
I watched the first few episodes of The Wire and found it incredibly dull (I can't stand procedurals any more and it felt very much like one). Does it actually get interesting?
No The Wire never actually gets interesting in any way, that's why everyone raves about it forever.
Don't worry, nothing ever happens and you aren't missing out on possibly the greatest TV show ever made no sir.
WATCH IT WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU

Deeku

The Wire is amazing. Finished the first season last week and I'm planning to re-watch it while I wait for the rest of the dvds to arrive.

jambo

I hardly watch American dramas. They just don't do it as well as the Poms.

Same with comedy, there are only a few American shows I watch and the rest are English.

Kritz

Banned
You HAVE to watch the first five episodes of The Wire to get into it. I haven't met a single person who has liked it from the get go.

Those first few episodes are there simply to introduce you to all the characters the show has. Once it starts rolling, though? holy shit, it's the greatest thing ever.

codswallop said:

I found the first season pretty hard to get into, the show is definitely not a procedral though, complete opposite in fact. You have to adjust to their style of storytelling which can take some time: there is no music, no big dramatic moments, it has a slow methodical pace that builds, very natural acting, overt realism, long serialised arcs - the show is bascially a novel, and each episode a chapter. And once you do begin to appreciate all that, the show really comes together into something amazing. Basically: try again and stick with it. You'll thank us.

Oh wow all this talk of Generation Kill. Bought it on Bluray a few weeks ago when JB had their 20% off sale. The book is pretty interesting and so far the show is pretty good too. The humour translates well which is a positive. Why is HBO the best?

fappenmeister said:
Oh wow all this talk of Generation Kill. Bought it on Bluray a few weeks ago when JB had their 20% off sale. The book is pretty interesting and so far the show is pretty good too. The humour translates well which is a positive. Why is HBO the best?
I can't wait to see what HBO do with A Game Of Thrones, I'm seriously hanging for that.

Question for AusGAF: I need to buy tacky Australian-themed clothing for an Australia Day party, what stores should I be hitting up?

endlessflood said:
I can't wait to see what HBO do with A Game Of Thrones, I'm seriously hanging for that.

Question for AusGAF: I need to buy tacky Australian-themed clothing for an Australia Day party, what stores should I be hitting up?

Any tourist shop.

Please don't wear a flag as a cape, even for ironic purposes. :(

We have legends like Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith awarded the VC but you still see dickheads pretending to be Captain Ocker.

Aren't AMC (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead) the "best" at the moment? HBO were on a great roll a few years back with The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, Deadwood and the like but they rested on their laurels and others have caught up big time.

HBO are definitely making a good go at it now though, with Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound & Down, True Blood. Entourage was great but needed to finish a few seasons ago.

Omikron

fappenmeister said:
Any tourist shop.

We have legends like Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith awarded the VC but you still see dickheads pretending to be Captain Ocker.

This.

I say go ethnic costume.

Shaneus

endlessflood said:

A texta/pen for that authentic Southern Cross tattoo on your neck and back of your left calf muscle (clearly visible because you're wearing Billabong/Rip Curl boardies.

endlessflood said:
Doesn't every clothing story have tacky, Australian-themed clothing in the run up to Australia day?

Omikron

viciouskillersquirrel said:
My work has asked us to work on Wednesday. You know, to make up for the time we lost during the floods.

Hahaha, they surely didn't?

Good to see workplaces being nice only extends so far ;)

Choc

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
My work has asked us to work on Wednesday. You know, to make up for the time we lost during the floods.

they best be

1. Paying you

2. Paying you penalty rates (double time)

Of course being a dick to your boss is never a good idea but an employee can not be forced to work on a public holiday unless its in your employment contract.

Choc said:
they best be

1. Paying you

2. Paying you penalty rates (double time)
They've not made this clear. People in my line of work don't normally get penalty rates.

Choc said:
Of course being a dick to your boss is never a good idea but an employee can not be forced to work on a public holiday unless its in your employment contract.
Yeah... about that...

teekun

Kritz said:
You HAVE to watch the first five episodes of The Wire to get into it. I haven't met a single person who has liked it from the get go.

Yeah, I've never met someone who loved it from episode 1, and have never met someone who didn't love it after watching more.

codswallop said:
Aren't AMC (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead) the "best" at the moment? HBO were on a great roll a few years back with The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, Deadwood and the like but they rested on their laurels and others have caught up big time.

HBO are definitely making a good go at it now though, with Boardwalk Empire, Eastbound & Down, True Blood. Entourage was great but needed to finish a few seasons ago.

The problem with American television is that there is SO much of it. It's difficult to sort through all the shit to find the really good stuff. AMC is putting out some fantastic shows, as well as some other cable networks. They're really giving free to air networks a run for their money when it comes to quality TV these days.

I saw White Knight Chronicles in EB on the weekend for $110 :lol

Isn't that game kinda old now? Looked interesting and I've always meant to pick up a cop but not for that price.

Generally why I don't visit EB

teekun

DualShadow said:
I saw White Knight Chronicles in EB on the weekend for $110 :lol

Isn't that game kinda old now? Looked interesting and I've always meant to pick up a cop but not for that price.

Generally why I don't visit EB

It's like a year old, and not very good. If you're planning on playing it at all, wait for the sequel which is going to contain all of the content from the original in it. There's no point in buying the first one now.

jambo

fappenmeister said:
Any tourist shop.

I wore one last year and was Captain Australia.

I don't see how that belittles Ben Roberts-Smith's achievements.

jambo said:
I wore one last year and was Captain Australia.

I don't see how that belittles Ben Roberts-Smith's achievements.

Just from my perspective, it's a flag and people have fought for it and what it represents. Kind of disrespectful.

It reminds me of those fucking idiots during the Cronulla riots as well.

Choc

Banned
sadly the police are predicting cronulla again this year

have banned ANY parties on prince street cronulla, even in houses

undercover cops will be everywhere around there looking for fucking dickheads

jambo

fappenmeister said:
Just from my perspective, it's a flag and people have fought for it and what it represents. Kind of disrespectful.

It reminds me of those fucking idiots during the Cronulla riots as well.
Why can't it represent my freedom to fly it, just from my back instead of from a pole? I respect the armed forces greatly, a number of people in my family have served over the years.

And it reminds you of the idiots at the Cronulla riots? So I shouldn't be able to show my love of Australia because of something someone else did?

Not trying to get all angry, just sayin'.

jambo said:
Why can't it represent my freedom to fly it, just from my back instead of from a pole? I respect the armed forces greatly, a number of people in my family have served over the years.

And it reminds you of the idiots at the Cronulla riots? So I shouldn't be able to show my love of Australia because of something someone else did?

You raise a good point. Fair call.

No rage here either just a discussion between gents. Pip pip!

jambo said:

Not trying to get all angry, just sayin'.

Bloody double post. So this can be used to discuss M.A.G.

Any of you still play this?

Choc said:
sadly the police are predicting cronulla again this year

have banned ANY parties on prince street cronulla, even in houses

undercover cops will be everywhere around there looking for fucking dickheads

Why are they predicting riots there this year?

legend166

Ydahs said:

Once they hit Bastogne (episode five or six), the pace changes quite a bit. They basically sit around in Bastogne waiting to get blown to pieces by artillery. The last 3-4 episodes, there's not much battle at all. Except for the assault on Foy, which features the greatest piece of bad-assery ever seen on film (Spiers represent).

I don't know why you didn't like the battles though. The entire second episode, from the jump to Winters making that promise to himself is just amazing. Then the episode with Bligthe and later with Bull getting caught behind enemy lines after Market Garden.

I love each and every episode though, so I don't know if you can take my word for it. But it's a series which honestly gets better each time you see it, because at first it's really hard to take all the characters in and remember who is who apart from Winters, Nixon and maybe wild Bill.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I started WOW for the first time almost a month ago. I don't intend to subscribe, but during my free month I have levelled up to level 81.

I have written pretty extensively about my experiences in the game in the OT over the past few weeks, so I don't think I'll get into it too much here.

I think it's a cool experience. I like that it exists for end-game content (of which I haven't really experienced but can reasonably understand) alone. The questing/leveling up phase of the game, which has been the entirety of my experience, feels very, very manipulative, and with no difficulty curve in sight, it speaks volumes about Blizzard's ability to manipulate their players that I have actually seen it through, will continue to for my month and, most importantly, will actually really enjoy myself in the process. Walking/riding/flying into new zones and experiencing the quest-chains (mostly through implied narrative, I rarely read the logs) and slowly uncovering all the different sections of a zone is very satisfying for me. So in that regard, it seems like we play for similar reasons. I'm not really in it solely for the loot or the grind.

But see, I disagree with a lot of you criticisms. I feel like it's important to remember that just prior to the dungeon finder and flying mounts around the Old World, they had more than ten million people already playing. Offering these people quick solutions solely as a means of levelling up a second character quickly, after years of playing, seems like a very forward-thinking, appropriate move on their behalf.

If you'd like to travel to dungeons with a read-made party, you can. If you want to travel around the world and experience it on foot, you can. And, hell, Blizzard agrees with the flying mount shenanigans insofar as they intentionally denied players access to flying mounts in certain Northrend zones until a certain level to prevent people from skimming over the world. This has since been scaled back and is available for purchase upon hitting the continent, but once again it is only an option that you can actively avoid.

I feel like, at this point in the game's lifecycle, streamlining players through their six year old content into the shiny new stuff serves two purposes: it eases the strain on people leveling an old and keeps new players who moved in during the Cataclysm hype phase to get to that content that everyone is playing and talking about swiftly, if they so choose.

I think that's WOW's biggest success. It accommodates nearly everyone playing in any play-style they'd like. Take it as slow and organic or fast and methodical as you'd like, there's probably tools to accommodate you in there!

Bernbaum

So I have the opportunity to move to London or Texas for work before the end of the year.

I don’t want to buy a fourth Xbox 360 to play Mass Effect 3, so I will be moving to PAL-friendly London.

Possibly one of the biggest decisions of my life, and I’ve based it on video games.

Commitment, motherfuckers.

Choc

Banned
London i am sure shits on Texas aside from weather

:)

I would choose London over Texas any day of the week. Generally London does not have rednecks carrying shotguns....

Also choose where you live in London carefully. Not because of crime or anything just because of transport links as well as the nightlife of the area.

If you are not a party person, don't choose to live in Covent Garden ;)

Do you know where in London you would be working?

you are also forgetting London is where ME3 occurs :p well some of it

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Bernbaum said:
So I have the opportunity to move to London or Texas for work before the end of the year.

I don’t want to buy a fourth Xbox 360 to play Mass Effect 3, so I will be moving to PAL-friendly London.

Possibly one of the biggest decisions of my life, and I’ve based it on video games.

hah. good luck!

three more years of study here before I can even consider a change of scenery. very jealous.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Mar said:
I wrote a small thing on my return to World of Warcraft: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MarcBell/20110123/6855/A_Return_to_Warcraft.php

I know a bunch of you guys have gone back in yourselves. How have you been finding it? Does the game still keep your interest after all this time? Personally I was quite bored with all aspects of the game.

We have all pretty much quit by the sounds of it. I think ham might still play casually but with uni starting he will probably bail out. Orbi, the biggest WoW guy out of us all i would say doesn't expect to renew his account next month.

If you are going back then i honestly don't think you will last long. It's not that the game isn't bad, you just realise that you don't need to be there anymore.

jambo

fappenmeister said:
Bloody double post. So this can be used to discuss M.A.G.

Any of you still play this?
Triple post =P

Never played it but I like the idea of 256 players in 1 match. Like a huge version of Tribes.

Do people still play in Aus?

Bernbaum said:

London is pretty damn awesome! I had a great time when I was over, 7 years ago now. My how time flies.

teekun said:
It's like a year old, and not very good. If you're planning on playing it at all, wait for the sequel which is going to contain all of the content from the original in it. There's no point in buying the first one now.

Yeah wasn't planning on buying it now but was shaking my head at the price for a game that old that's not even that popular or good.

jambo said:
Triple post =P

Never played it but I like the idea of 256 players in 1 match. Like a huge version of Tribes.

Do people still play in Aus?

Apparently some Aussies play, lots of hilarious yanks talking over chat though.

teekun

So is there any Aussie release of Dead Space 2 that comes with a code for Extraction? Or is that a US only thing? I can't find any info on it anywhere.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:

You chose correctly. So jealous. I'm too old to move or work over there now unless I somehow become rich.

teekun

Bernbaum said:

What part of Texas was it? Most of it is shit, but if it was Austin, you may have made a terrible mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom