• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choc

Banned
honestly sometimes it pains me to be a gamer and in the gaming industry

the first tweets and forum posts i read about the Russian Bombing

'remember, no russian'

fuck sake

Danoss

BanShunsaku said:
Has anyone ever returned something to Amazon before? I'm just wondering whether sending my mother's defective Kindle via Australia Post is a bad idea. I really don't want to fork out for Fedex...
A friend of mine bought some LPs from Amazon and had to return them due to warping. I believe he sent them via regular Air Mail which was still expensive (~$80), not FedEx (~$150). Amazon did reimburse him for the cost of this. This may not be common practice at Amazon, just shoot them an email about it and see how you go.

Don't forget you can insure it at AusPost, it shouldn't be too much extra.

Danoss said:
A friend of mine bought some LPs from Amazon and had to return them due to warping. I believe he sent them via regular Air Mail which was still expensive (~$80), not FedEx (~$150). Amazon did reimburse him for the cost of this. This may not be common practice at Amazon, just shoot them an email about it and see how you go.

Don't forget you can insure it at AusPost, it shouldn't be too much extra.

Thanks for the advice. It only weighs about 500g so it shouldn't cost too much to send it with a decent Aus post service, so even if they don't reimburse me it won't be a big deal. Will definitely get insurance though :)

Thanks Choc, will do.

I think that the $150 Danoss was speaking of was for LPs, which I'm guessing were larger/heavier than my Kindle. But a quote on Fedex's website tells me it would cost between $75 - $102 bucks for the economy or priority services respectively.

So yeh, I'll be going some kind of Auspost international courier.

jambo said:
Is Mass Effect 2 really $99.95 on PSN?
This is one thing I really hate about digital distribution, mostly on PSN/XBL but I guess relevant everywhere. The price never drops. For instance, the DLC for Assassin's Creed II now costs more than buying the GOTY version... which includes all the DLC.

Clipper

jambo said:
I was just checking my emails this morning and I saw I got one from Sony. Is Mass Effect 2 really $99.95 on PSN?

o_O
Get someone in the US to buy you some PSN cards and buy it off the US store for $59.95. You can even play it on your Aussie account afterwards, so there's no downside.

giri

jambo said:
Why can't it represent my freedom to fly it, just from my back instead of from a pole? I respect the armed forces greatly, a number of people in my family have served over the years.

And it reminds you of the idiots at the Cronulla riots? So I shouldn't be able to show my love of Australia because of something someone else did?

Not trying to get all angry, just sayin'.
Just an FYI, in theory, the Australian flag is never allowed to touch the ground. Thats the long standing rules/tradition from military/RSL's and many organizations adhere to it (even maccas, no really). Thats why it irks some older generation types.

legend166

Hey guys, I thought I'd share this post in here which I made in the 'insignificant things' thread on the OT. It's about Oporto.

When I go there, I get a Chicken BLT burger.

The single fillet burger by itself costs $6, and a meal, which comes with hot chips and a can of coke, costs $8.

The double fillet burger by itself costs $8, but the meal, which still just comes with hot chips and a can of coke, costs $11.

So the double fillet burger by itself is $2 more expensive, but $3 more expensive if you want it with a meal, even though the rest of the meal is exactly the same. They are making an extra $1 for no reason at all.

I checked, and it's like this on all their burger meals.

Conspiracy!

jambo

giri said:
Just an FYI, in theory, the Australian flag is never allowed to touch the ground. Thats the long standing rules/tradition from military/RSL's and many organizations adhere to it (even maccas, no really). Thats why it irks some older generation types.

Luckily I'm tall enough that the flag I have doesn't touch the ground. And I've never sat on it, I always put it over the back of the chair. Other people are probably less careful though.

I look after it cause it's the same flag I had at the 2000 Olympics when I watched Cathy Freeman win the 400M final with 119,000 people. Loudest noise I've ever heard.

Shaneus

legend166 said:
Hey guys, I thought I'd share this post in here which I made in the 'insignificant things' thread on the OT. It's about Oporto.

Conspiracy!
I haven't had Oporto for yonks... I'm becoming a Nando's fanboy now. Their mild peri-peri sauce with scrambled eggs is borderline orgasmic.

Gazunta

I'm doing comics about game reviewers all week this week.

2011-01-24-Reviewer-01.gif

Choc

Banned
legend not to shoot you down and all but are you sure the double fillet doesnt come with large chips and drink instead of normal?

Gazunta

There'll be another one up today sometime and another 3 by the end of the week. I'll post them up here but they're on the site first. You can vote for me doing another batch of them next week on the site.

Agyar

On the subject of Zavvi, it seems your milage may vary as I've used them a few times and the postage time has been as expected. Overall not as fast as Ozgameshop but only two instances of real delays come to mind. Metro 2033 took a few weeks while the rest of my orders arrived and my copy of K&L2 went AWOL over Christmas. The upside of this was that it only took one email to for Zavvi to send a replacement which came in a week.

Preorders may be another story and I've had great experiences with preorders through Ozgameshop, so I go there if I want to be guaranteed a timely delivery. I'll find out soon enough though as I preordered the Death Smiles deluxe edition from Zavvi.

legend166

Choc said:
legend not to shoot you down and all but are you sure the double fillet doesnt come with large chips and drink instead of normal?

Pfft, who do you think I am?

I double checked, and it's still a small chips and drink.

My knockoff 360 wireless n adapter just arrived from ozgameshop.com - less than 2 weeks since I ordered it so pretty happy with that.

A+++++ will use again

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Omi said:
The question I want to know is when was the last time we were influenced by a major (or minor) site's review to buy a game??

I honestly can't remember.... but I guess these sites aren't aimed at the majority of people in this thread.
Trusted GAF posters and trustworthy podcasts (GFW and Idle Thumbs, primarily) were/are my go-tos nowadays.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
omg!

P.S. -- Reddit user Calneon, I totally played the game two and a half times, and I have the Trophies to back it up.

Bahahaha

Omi said:
The question I want to know is when was the last time we were influenced by a major (or minor) site's review to buy a game??

I honestly can't remember.... but I guess these sites aren't aimed at the majority of people in this thread.
I usually read a number of the more major sites reviews to try and get an overall opinion (like I do with Rotten Tomatoes) but anyone who bases their purchases on one site's reviews is crazy if you ask me.

BanShunsaku said:
My knockoff 360 wireless n adapter just arrived from ozgameshop.com - less than 2 weeks since I ordered it so pretty happy with that.

A+++++ will use again

Man, I'm still waiting for stuff I ordered at the start of the year.

Omikron

Choc said:
extraction is a different game

that just so happens to be shipping with a lot of the PS3 copies, GOOD JOB IGN

Heh.

Lets be honest, if you are reading a review of a sequel, you fully expect spoilers of previous games. I think that is hardly something to slam them for.

Deeku

Thanks to the guys who recommended Ozgamshop.

They have what I want to pre-order, cheaper than zavvi, have the correct release date and apparently approved by ausgaf:D

hamchan

Choc said:
honestly sometimes it pains me to be a gamer and in the gaming industry

the first tweets and forum posts i read about the Russian Bombing

'remember, no russian'

fuck sake

As bad as it is that was the first thing I thought of too.

remz said:
IGN's review reads like it was written by a year 10 fanboy... or something http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1145296p1.html

This reads like something I would write on here.

EDIT: Actually I could probably do better.

I've only bought one thing from Ozgameshop and it took three weeks (admittedly over Christmas). A week after it was delivered I received a second email telling me they were shipping the item again. Apparently a mixup so who knows about that, but I haven't received or been charged for a second item anyway.

They're good, and I like that they charge in AUD which brings the price down further. A++++ (one + less than ban because of the odd email mixup)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom