• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

Choc said:
honestly sometimes it pains me to be a gamer and in the gaming industry

the first tweets and forum posts i read about the Russian Bombing

'remember, no russian'

fuck sake

Just to second this, as soon as I heard the news I knew there would be dickheads joking about it.

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:
The #HireMeIGN hashtag feed on twitter is free, pure, undiluted entertainment.
Reddit had a field day, too... though this was pretty much the first time I'd been there so perhaps the amount of posts is common. Anyway, by far the best line was "You can't spell 'ignorant' without IGN" :lol

Gazunta

2011-01-25-Reviewer-02.gif

Of course, back when I was Hotgames.com, it was even simpler. If a game was published by Melbourne House, it got 5/5. If it wasn't, it got 4/5. Saved me heaps of time every day!

...God, I miss Hotgames :(

Gazunta said:
2011-01-25-Reviewer-02.gif

Of course, back when I was Hotgames.com, it was even simpler. If a game was published by Melbourne House, it got 5/5. If it wasn't, it got 4/5. Saved me heaps of time every day!

...God, I miss Hotgames :(
Don't forget to add Snake Eyes and Yahtzee to your rating system. And never forget: Three doubles in a row, and you'll land in jail.

Bernbaum

The achievements of Halo: Reach were lost on me the first time I played it, and it took me a second play to see how great it really was.

I'm fearful my positive experience with Enslaved may be the opposite - I think a return to that game would reveal glaring blemishes I happened to block out. I praised the game both here and in its OT, although with caveats. I think after a spin through the Pigsy DLC I'll leave it at that.

Any opinions from those who've played it more than once or returned to chase achievements?

trinest

codswallop said:
I preordered with Zavvi once. The game was sent the day before worldwide release but still took two agonising weeks to arrive.

On Zavvi and Thehut, if you change the URL in any zavvi item from zavvi.com to thehut.com, you'll save tuppence on most items. You're welcome.
Depends on the item- most of the time its only a few cents cheaper- and sometimes Zavvi is the better buy. They also have different daily sales.

When I preordered the layton movie from them it was shipped weeks before it was due out- only to arive a week after launch lol!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Im expecting a cool, heavily directed narrative tube from Enslaved, hence the wait for a price-drop. My experience with the game is limited to my time with the demo and the GB quick-look, so maybe they weren't actually representative of the whole game. It seems like a clunkier Uncharted in over-arching progression, which im cool with.

Bernbaum

'Narrative tube' sums up Enslaved pretty damn well.

To continue the poetry, Mass Effect 2 is a Euphoria Funnel.

IGN is a Poop Pipe.

Ydahs

Isn't Greg Miller the entertaining one on Gamescoop? The one does an Aussie impersonation every time an Aussie writes in?

Lay off him guys!

Just trying to finish up a few side quests on Mass Effect 2 and then its on to the IFF (which I'm guessing is getting towards the end of the game).

The firewalker missions can eat a dick though. Was up to the last artifact/shootout on one of the planets (during which saving seems to be disabled) only to die and have to start the whole mission again. Fuck that.

Bernbaum

BanShunsaku said:
Just trying to finish up a few side quests on Mass Effect 2 and then its on to the IFF (which I'm guessing is getting towards the end of the game).

The firewalker missions can eat a dick though. Was up to the last artifact/shootout on one of the planets (during which saving seems to be disabled) only to die and have to start the whole mission again. Fuck that.
Hi five! Sixty hours in and it's endgame time for me.

I've done everything and am post-IFF. I made the mistake of doing 'Overlord' before the Firewalker stuff - "Where the hell did I get this hovercraft? How do I scan for shit? Garrus, where's the fucking cup holder for my Space-Fanta?"

Darklord

Banned
I was looking for something for my sister for her b'day. I remembered she used to love the show absolutely fabulous so I search and see if it's on DVD. First site I see is a UK one with the complete collection and notice the price is only $41AUD. Great I can buy that but it's region 2, so I look up the price for the Australia release, surely it can't be that much more? ...$150. Sigh. Sick of these god damn prices here. Really? $109 more? Retail stores: "Oh but no one shops here it's piracy's fault no wait it's online stores from overseas we want them to be taxed!" No! It's shit like this.

I now remember why I stopped buying DVD's.

Kritz

Banned
I've been on "Holidays" for like a month and a half now.

Australia Day as a public holiday is lost on me.

Except it means shit's closed.

legend166

Darklord said:
I was looking for something for my sister for her b'day. I remembered she used to love the show absolutely fabulous so I search and see if it's on DVD. First site I see is a UK one with the complete collection and notice the price is only $41AUD. Great I can buy that but it's region 2, so I look up the price for the Australia release, surely it can't be that much more? ...$150. Sigh. Sick of these god damn prices here. Really? $109 more? Retail stores: "Oh but no one shops here it's piracy's fault no wait it's online stores from overseas we want them to be taxed!" No! It's shit like this.

I now remember why I stopped buying DVD's.

You'd be able to buy her a region free DVD player and the DVDs for $150. And still have money to spare.

Have you checked if her current DVD player is region free? The vast majority are these days.

Dead Man

legend166 said:
You'd be able to buy her a region free DVD player and the DVDs for $150. And still have money to spare.

Have you checked if her current DVD player is region free? The vast majority are these days.
And that sums up how stupid the current situation is.

Shaneus

So, celebrating Australia Day by drinking Coronas, dining on sweet chili chicken strips and playing Bayonetta for the first time (ever). Oi! Oi! Oi!

Dissection of the dissection. Really, why are there so many video games writer critics, and why are they so fucking pedantic? It all just seems so "WHY SHOULD YOU WRITE ABOUT GAMES?! I WANNA WRITE ABOUT GAMES!!" *footstomps*

AzS0G.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think you understand. This isn't a hobbyist blog some people do in their spare time. This guy was interviewed, employed and goes into work every day with the pretence of being a professional writer. There is a reason these pedantic little rules exist. As someone who isn't a professional writer (nor do I have any aspirations to be one), I won't be able to pick up on everything that an article does right or wrong on such a level, but I will notice an inarticulable sloppiness.

It's like watching the Star Wars prequels. Most people won't be able to sift through it scene by scene and point out what's wrong with them, but they will be left totally unaffected by the experience of watching them. It isn't until someone else, for instance the RLM Star Wars reviews, comes along and points out and articulates why it didn't resonate with a larger audience that most people will realise exactly what went wrong. The same logic can be applied here when examining something written by Greg Miller.

It doesn't trigger "flip the tea-table over, start shouting and storm out" anger, it's just disappointing. This person is paid to know all of this. He is paid to be pedantic as he edits his first draft.

Bernbaum

The fact that reviews like Miller's exist; that the incisive yet redundant dissection exists; and that the contrived and ineffective dissection of the dissections exists cumulatively captures the absurdity of modern games journalism.

These days I just wanna play a game or two.

To learn which titles are worth my time, I'll watch a few clips - maybe a trailer or a quicklook; look at the pedigree of the developer; and gauge interest from GAF and the AusGAF collective for whom I have a familiarity of what personalities like in a game. The enjoyment of a game is far more subjective than that of a film or a book, thus the redundancy of games criticism as a whole.

The Gamejournos guy is right - by and large game reviewers aren't critics, they're enthusiasts. Games writers are a little too close to the coalface and don't enjoy the benefit of distance that say, David Stratton has when he reviews a film.

Like Rez said last week - the 'Metadiscussion' is boring and a waste of time. Alas, the more I talk about it, the closer I gravitate towards what is annoying about the whole situation. Therefore I'll just leave it be by saying that I don't expect much from the steaming bucket of derp that characterizes the state of written reviews but I don't see any need of a crusade to improve it. If anything, I appreciate a bit of cheekiness or character in a review from a writer with whom I'm familiar, but the 'Good game is good! - 9.0' approach of IGN, Gamespot and Good Game is beyond a joke.

Choc

Banned
POWERSPHERE said:
Dissection of the dissection. Really, why are there so many video games writer critics, and why are they so fucking pedantic? It all just seems so "WHY SHOULD YOU WRITE ABOUT GAMES?! I WANNA WRITE ABOUT GAMES!!" *footstomps*

FYI the guy who runs gamejournos is one of the most well respected and successful UK journalists around

so its far from that.....

Bernbaum said:
Finished Mass Effect 2.

Apparently 'RPG-lite' is code for 'slightly less talent points to spend'.

I absolutely loved it.
Just boned Miranda and about to launch myself through the omega 4 relay, so I guess I'm nearly finished? Going to get straight into Dragon Age once I'm done so I'm caught up in time for DA2.

Bernbaum

BanShunsaku said:
Just boned Miranda and about to launch myself through the omega 4 relay, so I guess I'm nearly finished? Going to get straight into Dragon Age once I'm done so I'm caught up in time for DA2.
DOPPLEGANGER!

DA is next on my list!

And yes, the end isn't as long as I'd thought.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
BanShunsaku said:

Yep

Gazunta

Choc who runs Gamejournos?

In other news I've spent the day sick on the couch sleeping and sweating and trying not to throw up. FUN TIMES

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Gazunta said:
Choc who runs Gamejournos?

In other news I've spent the day sick on the couch sleeping and sweating and trying not to throw up. FUN TIMES

No wonder why you have been snoozing in steam chat.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:
The fact that reviews like Miller's exist; that the incisive yet redundant dissection exists; and that the contrived and ineffective dissection of the dissections exists cumulatively captures the absurdity of modern games journalism.

These days I just wanna play a game or two.

To learn which titles are worth my time, I'll watch a few clips - maybe a trailer or a quicklook; look at the pedigree of the developer; and gauge interest from GAF and the AusGAF collective for whom I have a familiarity of what personalities like in a game. The enjoyment of a game is far more subjective than that of a film or a book, thus the redundancy of games criticism as a whole.

The Gamejournos guy is right - by and large game reviewers aren't critics, they're enthusiasts. Games writers are a little too close to the coalface and don't enjoy the benefit of distance that say, David Stratton has when he reviews a film.

Like Rez said last week - the 'Metadiscussion' is boring and a waste of time. Alas, the more I talk about it, the closer I gravitate towards what is annoying about the whole situation. Therefore I'll just leave it be by saying that I don't expect much from the steaming bucket of derp that characterizes the state of written reviews but I don't see any need of a crusade to improve it. If anything, I appreciate a bit of cheekiness or character in a review from a writer with whom I'm familiar, but the 'Good game is good! - 9.0' approach of IGN, Gamespot and Good Game is beyond a joke.
Could not have said it better myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom