• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 2.0 - Twice the price, a year late but still moving forward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar

remz said:
IGN's review reads like it was written by a year 10 fanboy... or something http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1145296p1.html

Reads like an un-edited brain dump. If he played the game 2 and a half times, he should have at least read over his own words that many times.

The Edge review is pretty good, and a very good score too: http://www.next-gen.biz/features/dead-space-2-review

Will certainly be getting the game, though I'm unsure when. All my money is going to Crystal Castles tonight and BDO tomorrow.

Choc

Banned
sabine-schmitz-motorsport.jpg

the new stig, apparently.

lets hope andy gray isnt commentating

Choc

Banned
BanShunsaku said:
Let's just hope there are no reverse parking challenges.

Too much?

how lucky you are mods don't patrol this thread ;)

its sabine schmitz by the way, a German touring car champion

Choc

Banned
evlcookie said:
So within 24 hours of a new episode of top gear airing, people are saying it's her?

Didn't take long at all. She was awesome going by her previous appearances on TG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJKQjXpGQA - part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc&feature=fvw - part 2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Stig-German-racing-driver-Sabine-Schmitz.html

yeah cookie, they reckon the fact she has been on before a lot is helping the theory its her. Plus the fact she is bloody short apparently

giri

Mar said:
Reads like an un-edited brain dump. If he played the game 2 and a half times, he should have at least read over his own words that many times.

The Edge review is pretty good, and a very good score too: http://www.next-gen.biz/features/dead-space-2-review

Will certainly be getting the game, though I'm unsure when. All my money is going to Crystal Castles tonight and BDO tomorrow.
Make Sure you see Rammstein

They are, the best live act, in the world.

I went on sunday to the gold coast one and they were phenomenal. They make tool seem... placid. My friend (a huge fan of both) said that after Rammstein, during the tool set, he felt bored. And i can confirm that, the energy levels dropped for tool, which is saying something for a band of their calibre.

Also, if you can, get to the magentic zero's set, the one they did at the goldcoast was awesome, probably the best side stage set there. The crowd was awesome for it too.

Also, wolfmother were disapointing. But i still don't understand why they're on a side stage, and not on the main stage, replacing iggy & the stooges or something. Seems silly.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Everyone is saying Rammstein puts on a better show and i think they do. Tool is there to sort of sit back and just enjoy the music along with the imagery. Rammstein, like most metal bands, will make you pump your fist and want to punch the person next to you, it's exhilarating.

Good to see the crazy bastards are still at it though. Some of their live shows are wild.

giri

evlcookie said:
Everyone is saying Rammstein puts on a better show and i think they do. Tool is there to sort of sit back and just enjoy the music along with the imagery. Rammstein, like most metal bands, will make you pump your fist and want to punch the person next to you, it's exhilarating.

Good to see the crazy bastards are still at it though. Some of their live shows are wild.

Urgh, they did everything well. Even set the stage on fire (accidentally) 3 times that i saw. Their set list was great too (i won't say what it was, don't want to give it away) but they were the last "MUST SEE BEFORE I DIE" band i had, and well, i'm glad i saw them last cause they might've ruined everyone else.

And yeah, they're getting on, most would be in their 40's. But they had Iggy pop there, who is 64 i think? gah.

Oh, beware the jon butler trio, their set is a trap in crap. At one stage they played a 5 - 10 minute (felt like 30, but who knows) solo accoustic guitar... THING. absolutely killed the crowd, most used that time to go get alcohol and food.

Gazunta

Is there any event John Butler Trio refuse to play at?

I think you'll like today's Game Reviewer comic. I hope so, anyway. Looking forward to finishing it.

Choc

Banned
so someone (not me)

submitted

1. dead space 2 review (ign) and gregs defence to gamejournos

go read it, he tears him a new one

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:

I think you'll like today's Game Reviewer comic. I hope so, anyway. Looking forward to finishing it.

it better be on the dead space 2 greg ign bullshit :D

giri

Gazunta said:

I don't know, but i've never seen a crowd disperse faster.

The line up was odd on the main stage though. Deftones --> Jon Butler Trio --> Birds of Tokyo --> Iggy & the Stooges --> Rammstein --> Tool.

JBT are the odd ones out there. Birds of tokyo were surprisingly good.

Mar

giri said:
Make Sure you see Rammstein

They are, the best live act, in the world.

I went on sunday to the gold coast one and they were phenomenal. They make tool seem... placid. My friend (a huge fan of both) said that after Rammstein, during the tool set, he felt bored. And i can confirm that, the energy levels dropped for tool, which is saying something for a band of their calibre.

Also, if you can, get to the magentic zero's set, the one they did at the goldcoast was awesome, probably the best side stage set there. The crowd was awesome for it too.

Also, wolfmother were disapointing. But i still don't understand why they're on a side stage, and not on the main stage, replacing iggy & the stooges or something. Seems silly.

Tool are just an entirely different band. They are more psychedelia than metal, and more suited to pot than speed. But yeah I see what you're saying.

Wolfmother are not the Wolfmother they used to be. 2 of their members left the band after the first record because they felt there was no other places to take the band. They were, in the end, a throwback to the old days and they did it for a bit of a laugh. However the singer decided to keep going. He's apparently the biggest asshole in the world (my boss is good friends with the two who left).

So yeah, I'm sure they're still popular and all. But they are far from the sensation they used to be.

Gazunta

Heh, that's funny, coz I work with someone who lives next door to the guy who stayed, and he says the two who left sound like assholes :p

To be fair, though I'm sure they're all assholes.

ManeKast

Big Day Out;

Rammstein were indeed a great stage production and quite heavy sounding dance/metal/industrial and really pleased everyone whether they liked the music or not. It depends on what your after as to which was the best band of the show. I would say Rammstein entertained people easily with great sound, catchy tunes and a huge production featuring more pyrotechnics than KISS have ever used. You did not need to know the music and could jump around and be entertained very easily and without any effort or prior knowledge of their music.

Tool, however, played a magestic (but waaay to short) set at the Gold Coast (and even better last night at BEC where I was at the front, frizzled) which wove an incredible tapestry of sounds, imagery and mastery of musicianship (Orion bass line in Lateralus!). I do not agree both bands are comparable, if you're not a Tool fan Rammstein will be more fun for you (even if you are, tool isnt exactly a "fun" band so...). If you are a Tool fan or a fan of great music talent then you already know where it's at. Rammstein were awesome fun but for display of talent, song mastery and magic Tool were, are and always will be the much better band imho. Anyway, see both for sure. Both 5 star performances.

Wolfmother sucked (as usual, unoriginal and pedestrian, replace the stooges? hahahha, yeah right, funny one) ... Airborne ruled (hard and rocking) and Die Antword (spelt?) was really, really cool.

All up a great day no matter what your after but if you love Tool I strongly recommend their solo show if you can pull it and no matter who you are, check out Rammstein! Explosive and really really fun. Thirty grand worth of pyrotechnics per show pays off, big time. All in all an awesome day and great lineup, don't forget that sunscreen.

giri

Mar said:
Tool are just an entirely different band. They are more psychedelia than metal, and more suited to pot than speed. But yeah I see what you're saying.

Wolfmother are not the Wolfmother they used to be. 2 of their members left the band after the first record because they felt there was no other places to take the band. They were, in the end, a throwback to the old days and they did it for a bit of a laugh. However the singer decided to keep going. He's apparently the biggest asshole in the world (my boss is good friends with the two who left).

So yeah, I'm sure they're still popular and all. But they are far from the sensation they used to be.
Oh yeah, i get what you mean. Tool aren't really an "up temp" band. But for the headliner,
you do tend to expect more, i guess.

ManeKast said:
Big Day Out;

Rammstein were indeed a great stage production and quite heavy sounding dance/metal/industrial and really pleased everyone whether they liked the music or not. It depends on what your after as to which was the best band of the show. I would say Rammstein entertained people easily with great sound, catchy tunes and a huge production featuring more pyrotechnics than KISS have ever used. You did not need to know the music and could jump around and be entertained very easily and without any effort or prior knowledge of their music.

Tool, however, played a magestic (but waaay to short) set at the Gold Coast (and even better last night at BEC where I was at the front, frizzled) which wove an incredible tapestry of sounds, imagery and mastery of musicianship (Orion bass line in Lateralus!). I do not agree both bands are comparable, if you're not a Tool fan Rammstein will be more fun for you (even if you are, tool isnt exactly a "fun" band so...). If you are a Tool fan or a fan of great music talent then you already know where it's at. Rammstein were awesome fun but for display of talent, song mastery and magic Tool were, are and always will be the much better band imho. Anyway, see both for sure. Both 5 star performances.

Wolfmother sucked (as usual, unoriginal and pedestrian, replace the stooges? hahahha, yeah right, funny one) ... Airborne ruled (hard and rocking) and Die Antword (spelt?) was really, really cool.

All up a great day no matter what your after but if you love Tool I strongly recommend their solo show if you can pull it and no matter who you are, check out Rammstein! Explosive and really really fun. Thirty grand worth of pyrotechnics per show pays off, big time. All in all an awesome day and great lineup, don't forget that sunscreen.

I'm not a huge tool fan, i admit that, but i wouldn't say tool are more talented. I'm not going to say rammstein are either.

The stooges weren't the right band either. I say replace them, but it's hard to find someone else form that lineup that would've gone well. IMO, the perfect leadup would've been prodigy, but one can only dream.

ManeKast

giri said:
Oh yeah, i get what you mean. Tool aren't really an "up temp" band. But for the headliner,
you do tend to expect more, i guess.

I'm not a huge tool fan, i admit that, but i wouldn't say tool are more talented. I'm not going to say rammstein are either.

The stooges weren't the right band either. I say replace them, but it's hard to find someone else form that lineup that would've gone well. IMO, the perfect leadup would've been prodigy, but one can only dream.

Prodigy to Rammstein would have been incredible. I really think despite my opinion on both bands Rammstein would have been the better headliner. I'm no musician so I would agree with not calling out who is more talented. I guess with mainstage it's going to be hard to please such a varied demographic as the BDO crowd, so with that in mind this year did quite well to cater to different tastes, age groups (imo The Stooges was a good choice in this regard) and substances (or lack thereof).

Mar

Gazunta said:
Heh, that's funny, coz I work with someone who lives next door to the guy who stayed, and he says the two who left sound like assholes :p

To be fair, though I'm sure they're all assholes.

I think that's probably accurate. I never blindly take the opinion of one side of an argument, though there's no doubting their music is entirely uninspired since the first album.

giri

legend166 said:
I appreciate what that gamejournos guy is doing, and I agree, but he just isn't funny enough to pull it off well.
He's also a little TOO picky. Some people will differ on what is and isn't news.

Stackboy

Your positive reviews for bands I don't like reasserts the reason I never go to BDO. Different strokes for different folks, that's cool and all, but it seems festivals have taken a turn that I never did. That said, I would have loved to see The Jim Jones Revue and Andrew WK.

In a little over a weeks time, I get a 90's revival. Seeing Custard, Regurgitator and Screamfeeder at the Hi-Fi in Brisbane. Cannot wait.

Gazunta

SHIT I totally forgot about this one! Are tickets still available?!

...I'm going to be the middle aged sadcase that we used to make fun of back when I saw those bands back in the day :(

Stackboy

Gazunta said:
SHIT I totally forgot about this one! Are tickets still available?!

...I'm going to be the middle aged sadcase that we used to make fun of back when I saw those bands back in the day :(

Sunday night sold out in a day, but you can catch Regurgitator on the Monday night show. No Custard or Screamfeeder that night though.

Gazunta

Godamnit, Custard and 'Feeder was why I wanted to go :(
I used to have such a crush on Kelly Lloyd

...I'm kind of relieved to be honest. I would have just made a complete tit out of myself and bumped into people I've been avoiding for the better part of a decade. I'm a boring middle aged man that lives in the suburbs with his wife and cats now, I don't belong in fun places.

Dead Man

Don Ritchie named Australia's Local Hero

HIS great success at coaxing dozens of people back from the brink of death has earned Donald Ritchie recognition as Australia's Local Hero for 2011.

Mr Ritchie, who lives opposite the infamous Sydney suicide spot, The Gap, has talked more than 160 people out of taking their lives there.

His strategy: simply to offer a cup of tea and chat back at his place.

Named the Local Hero at a ceremony in Canberra today, the National Australia Day Council said Mr Ritchie's tangible efforts to prevent suicide were "truly remarkable".

"His kind words and invitations into his home in times of trouble have made an enormous difference,'' the council said in a statement.

"With such simple actions Don has saved an extraordinary number of lives."

Mr Ritchie has lived near The Gap for almost five decades and has kept up a voluntary watch from the window of his second-storey bedroom for most of that time.

In the early years, Mr Ritchie tried to physically restrain people wanting to jump while his wife called the police, but since then he has taken a more hands-off approach.

He's been recognised multiple times for his efforts; he was given a Medal of the Order of Australia in 2006, while both he and his wife Moya were named Woollahra Council's Citizens of the Year in 2010.

439465-don-ritchie-australian-local-hero.jpg

What a legend.

Edit: Double post, now I feel really stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom